• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC - Devil May Cry announced (Capcom X Ninja Theory) - [Update: Unreal Engine 3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acosta

LordAzrael said:
What the hell is the attachment people have to original Dante? only thing that made DMC great was the combat. Not the plot nor any of the characters. As long as the combat is just as good or better, will any of you fools be complaining on launch day? Or are you so foolish that you wouldn't buy a good game based on the artwork?

What is wrong with you? People don't like it, deal with it, you look desperate to show everyone how wrong they are about something that is a matter of taste.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Segata Sanshiro said:
Some of us have played Heavenly Sword.

Yeah, but the others aren't using that as the source of their rage.

They can feel free to do so once we see how the new game mechanics work though, and if Capcom would actually let something worse than the original out with their name and legacy on it.

All I'm saying is that the complaints are pre-mature - a few pictures and art isn't what you put in your console and play.

Maybe I'm too civil.

MrDaravon

That trailer and design is absolutely god damn atrocious, and I have little hope for the quality of the gameplay as it's being done by Ninja Theory. Holy fucking shit, what the hell where they thinking? What the fuck has been going on with Capcom lately?

StuBurns

Banned
Suairyu said:
I stand partly corrected. Partly because I'm technically correct, but corrected because yes, either term is acceptable usage. You win this round, StuFreezes >: (
We're both winners as long as the posters like Tylahedras around lowering the standards.

jett

D-Member
*watches trailer*

kevinragesa1472.gif

panda21

tbh it does look like it might appeal to at least some small demographic of emo-hipster 17 year old boys in the UK at least, which i guess is where the completely out of touch people in charge of this at ninja theory got that design from.

somehow all it has taken is just that design and i cant see this being anything but a half finished semi-competent pile of meh completely lacking any of the depth of dmc. sort of like heavenly sword.

zoukka said:
If only people would like that.
remember heavenly sword? calling all cars? lair? resistance 2? motorstorm? and a bunch of other shitty ps3 exclusives people talked about and sold like shit?

and hey, there was actually an overall feeling of positivity with those games

we'll see how well this appeals to the twilight fanbase. beyond that and some people who might like shit like heavenly sword, this isn't appealing to anyone

ram

HORRIBLE

capcom is really fucked up right now. whats wrong with them and their crap game anouncements lately?

Skilotonn said:

They can feel free to do so once we see how the new game mechanics work though, and if Capcom would actually let something worse than the original out with their name and legacy on it.

All I'm saying is that the complaints are pre-mature - a few pictures and art isn't what you put in your console and play.

Maybe I'm too civil.
It's be one thing if Heavenly Sword had been any good, but it wasn't. The game would have been burned alive if it was released now. The only thing that even partially saved it was that it was a near launch title.

Himuro said:
Inafune.

Expect Resident Evil 6 to be outsourced to Epic games.
i saw him for the fucker he was ever since megaman x5 came out

someone needs to put an end to his career, he's like the bobby kotick of japan, ruining as many games as he can

Tain

Suairyu said:
This isn't 'hipster' or 'emo'. However, it does look very British. Punk. Makes sense, given the developer.

I saw the first screen and over-reacted. Having watched the trailer, I'm willing to be open-minded about this. Developers with poor track records have put out amazing games before (Arkham Asylum), and I happened to think Heavenly Sword was very almost good, just held back by a couple of inane design decisions and lack of length. Have not played Enslaved. Ninja Theory have potential, is all I'm saying.

No track record? Riot Response is a better game than Arkham Asylum. Rocksteady weren't well known, but any time spent with their single prior game would show that they're talented.

Can't say the same about Kung Fu Chaos and Heavenly Sword.

Xater

Himuro said:
Inafune.

Not, that would probably result in a decent game. You got to think C-List developer. Kagari already sugested Double Helix. They probably have nthing going on besides Fron Mission Evolved.

ram said:
HORRIBLE

capcom is really fucked up right now. whats wrong with them and their crap game anouncements lately?

Lately? It basically started during this console generation. I mean if you compare this gen and last gen; the difference between game quality is ridiculous.

Acosta said:
What is wrong with you? People don't like it, deal with it, you look desperate to show everyone how wrong they are about something that is a matter of taste.
Not desperate, just frustrated how everyone seems to hate the new art design when really it isn't any better or worse than the original. Just different styles.

Plus, Ninja Theory makes one decent game, they're out of the count for life? really? you dont think a developer can learn?

Green Biker Dude said:
remember heavenly sword? calling all cars? lair? resistance 2? motorstorm? and a bunch of other shitty ps3 exclusives people talked about and sold like shit?

and hey, there was actually an overall feeling of positivity with those games

we'll see how well this appeals to the twilight fanbase. beyond that and some people who might like shit like heavenly sword, this isn't appealing to anyone

Yeah, that POS only sold like 4 million copies. Same for R2; 2 million units is ass!

Calling All Cars is unfortunate. I myself was expecting it to have at least a 50% attach rate, but I guess I overestimated the market for sub-$10 casual games on $600 consoles.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Yeah, that POS only sold like 4 million copies. Same for R2; 2 million units is ass!

Calling All Cars is unfortunate. I myself was expecting it to have at least a 50% attach rate, but I guess I overestimated the market for sub-$10 casual games on $600 consoles.
both games were bundled to reach those sales

this one won't be

Just watched the trailer. It certainly looks like it has potential. Definitely much better art design than the older games.

EDIT: ^ :lol And old Dante isn't ugly? At least this new guy looks more evil, more like the Joker or something in that direction. Old Dante was just ugly and looked like a complete wuss.

I think this will have some

"2 levels of consciousness"-based storyline, where some guy, who thinks he is dante, fights stuff in the paralellworld or something. then there is the real dante and the dimensions collide and bam, everything explodes.

LordAzrael said:
Not desperate, just frustrated how everyone seems to hate the new art design when really it isn't any better or worse than the original. Just different styles.

Plus, Ninja Theory makes one decent game, they're out of the count for life? really? you dont think a developer can learn?

It's not just that, I don't like how it isn't a Japanese developed game and it trying to cater to the west.

Kittonwy

Banned
Skilotonn said:

Maybe I'm too civil.

They already did, it's called Bob's Adventure aka DMC2 for those who actually recognize it as part of the cannon which I don't. I don't know why there's any trust in Capcom's quality control.
Indifferent2.gif

Luigiv

wwm0nkey said:
Gah!!! I hope to god the game doesn't use those horrible cuts and angles in the gameplay itself, like Enslave does. Seriously either stop it or actually take notes on how good action movies do. NT looks like they're trying to replicate "cinematic camera angles" from memory of a Michael Bay movie they saw a few years a go.

Edit:Scratch the bolded, that was based of the first half of the trailer. Change that to "decades".

evangd007

LordAzrael said:
What the hell is the attachment people have to original Dante? only thing that made DMC great was the combat. Not the plot nor any of the characters. As long as the combat is just as good or better, will any of you fools be complaining on launch day? Or are you so foolish that you wouldn't buy a good game based on the artwork?

It was silly, narmy, and self-aware. AKA entertaining. Pretty much the complete opposite of this. I don't expect the addition of a "serious, deep story" is going to compensate for the sheer fun and ludicrousness that were the older DMC stories.

Skilotonn said:
and if Capcom would actually let something worse than the original out with their name and legacy on it.

Bionic Commando

Himuro said:
Inafune.

Shhhhh. Don't give him ideas.

Outsourcing is a good idea though, so long as it's to Platinum Games and nobody else.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Don't really care about the redesign. However NT sucks horribly, so the game probably will too.

Replicant

AndyMoogle said:
EDIT: ^ :lol And old Dante isn't ugly? At least this new guy looks more evil, more like the Joker or something in that direction. Old Dante was just ugly and looked like a complete wuss.

^Hey guys, we have Ninja Theory designer here!!!

You need to have your eyes checked. That's 10x better (at least) from whatever shit Ninja Theory came up with.

KAL2006

Banned
I know haters are gonna hate, but I prefer this new Dante over the old one. The old just pissed me off, I don't know why, maybe because he looked like a typical anime flamboyant character with white hair, and didn't look devilish enough.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The trailer was great. Design-wise it was no stupider than previous games (and they got pretty fucking stupid). The more open environments look really good.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Green Biker Dude said:

someone needs to put an end to his career, he's like the bobby kotick of japan, ruining as many games as he can
Dude, i've been on an inafune hate trip for years, how have i not run into you until now?

Green Biker Dude said:

Who is this Inafune? Is he some overlord responsible for Kamiya and Mikami leaving?

LordAzrael said:

Statistically speaking, no, I don't. And it's two so-so games, which happens to be every game they've ever made. And they basically got an infinity budget on one of those games.

Just as it's pretty unlikely for Blizzard to wake up tomorrow and make a shitty game, it's also unlikely that Ninja Theory will wake up tomorrow and make a high-quality, intricate, high-speed combat game. I applaud your optimism and while I'm sure it's very fun to see the new announcement for the latest Cabela game and think THIS TIME IT COULD A HALO-BEATER, the excess of awesome games and awesome developers out there means I don't have to waste my time with guys I know suck.

And if it happens to turn out great, yay! I pick up the game and I've lost nothing.

Kittonwy

Banned
LordAzrael said:

It really IS worse than the original, I don't understand why when there's an argument regarding art style that somehow it's all subjective, ugly is ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom