• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC: Devil May Cry - Demo Thread [Demo out now on XBL & PSN]

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yes, he is rustling some demon jimmies, and he seemingly enjoys it. And yeah, I can imagine a certain type of players who would be riled up by it as well. :p (The "I am too old for this shit" kind of players). It is not their fault, it is simply how it is.

I don't think anyone's "riled up" about it. It just seems bad, not in bad taste. To each their own.

Asriel

I can give you Nero - I don't know who didn't cringe at his shit love story. But you can't for a minute tell me that Demon Orphanages is not a thirteen year old attempt at an original character. When Ket said her parents or step parents were demons so she "killed the bastards"? The developers just found out swear words were cool!

I know it's a personal opinion, but I can handle cheesy Nero love plots more than an out of touch developer trying to be cool

EDIT

That dialogue was anything but a "good joke". If Dante hadn't have prefaced the conversation with his "My name is Dante, but you can call me Dante the demon killer, has a nice ring to it" shit then you might be able to argue that. But I do not enjoy being beaten over the head with Dante's new "badass" image. If angsty swearing doesn't phase you, that's fine.

I'm pretty sure that you're taking the story and writing more seriously than NT is. Dante is clearly a snarky joker.

luffeN

Just played the boss too but damn, I don't know half the stuff Nemesis does. It is a fun game and I already pre-ordered it. How do you parry enemies? I think I once actually did it. Do you have to attack at the same time?

I'm pretty excited for this one. Environments look awesome and the combat is shaping up to be the best since DMC1. At least outside of bosses.
They did not sound like they were written as a DevinatART fanfic that's for sure. You really find it surprising that some people wouldn't like this overly serious dialogue?

"I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with liiiiiiiiiiight!"

Well game was pretty frustrating as it was, so finishing the entire game again on Pro does show some gumption that I admire.

I played through the first time on Professional and had a blast... Now AC3 is the easiest game in the world and it's infinitely more frustrating.

dante is still terrible though.and the italian dub makes all worse.

You can play in Italian? I love games with multiple voiceover choices. One of the best things about the Assassin's Creed games.

icespide

Banned
so what are we thinking the better platform will be? ps3 or 360? I always preferred dmc on a playstation controller but I wonder if 360 will perform better

I'm pretty sure that you're taking the story and writing more seriously than NT is. Dante is clearly a snarky joker.

I'm taking Dante exactly how NT portrays him through there Vid Docs, character art, demos and interviews. It is, to me, an unappealing character. The character art of Dante screaming and inserting his finger into a stab wound is proof of this - that's not a self parody.

EDIT: image I'm referencing. This is the image of new Dante that I don't care for.

9e35c0a8fcf34805bf7d34916cceba6a2607a162.jpg

Majukun

boss is still disappointing,even at "son of sparda" level..they just made him make enormous amount of damage in a single attack,and added a new attack that is ridicolously easy to avoid...

You can play in Italian? I love games with multiple voiceover choices. One of the best things about the Assassin's Creed games.

yup..but the voice acting is not that great sadly

boss is still disappointing,even at "son of sparda" level..they just made him make enormous amount of damage in a single attack,and added a new attack that is ridicolously easy to avoid...

Well, it's not like "big-ass monster" bosses are much better in Bayonetta or Devil May Cry. Pretty much only the human-sized ones are fun to fight, like Agni and Rudra or Credo. Ninja Gaiden had fun big bosses, but that game's the exception.

Neither is my Italian!

Asriel

It's probably the first boss in the game, anyhow. So, I'm not sure what you were expecting.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Well, it's not like "big-ass monster" bosses are much better in Bayonetta or Devil May Cry. Pretty much only the human-sized ones are fun to fight, like Agni and Rudra or Credo. Ninja Gaiden had fun big bosses, but that game's the exception.

You just have an unusual hatred for the enemies in DMC. I thought that Cerberus, Echidna, and Berial were pretty well done.

Majukun

Neither is my Italian!

well i preferred bayonetta giant monsters to this...

tha battle remembered me the battle with iustitia...but worse

It's probably the first boss in the game, anyhow. So, I'm not sure what you were expecting.

a fun battle,nothing less,nothing more.

even cerberus was like the second boss in dmc3,and was huge,but was more fun to play

boss battles are an art mastered by a few people in the industry

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I finally able to nail down that sense of deja vu discussing writing in this game.

It feels like I'm in Bulletstorm thread.

Dahbomb

Technically this is the 2nd boss in the game and the first bosses in a DMC are usually powerful gatekeepers (ie you die on them a couple of times before you get to grips with the game). Compare this with Cerberus, Phantom and Belial.

Of course judging from the video it's not that the boss is easy but the dodge is too good. The bosses and enemies aren't tuned for the better dodge.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
On the subject of dialogue/writing:

The way I evaluate dialogue in any game is by whether it makes me cringe. All the speculation about intent and self-awareness generally carries little weight. If it's good writing, it's good writing, whether it be serious, parody, satire, whatever. If I can't tell for sure which of those things it is supposed to be, even when people assure me that "it's totally bad on purpose, dude!" then I consider it bad.

sleepykyo

I'm taking Dante exactly how NT portrays him through there Vid Docs, character art, demos and interviews. It is, to me, an unappealing character. The character art of Dante screaming and inserting his finger into a stab wound is proof of this - that's not a self parody.

EDIT: image I'm referencing. This is the image of new Dante that I don't care for.

Hawt. It is like he is finger-banging his chest hole.
Not sure how it relates to the game unless it shows up in a cutscene.

CRAWWWWWLING IIIIN MY SKIIIIIIN

I don't think you guys get it. They aren't making Dante some grimdark rage fantasy, it's supposed to be super campy and cheesy like the old games but in a new context. I was cracking up that whole boss fight. And not at NT's expense.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
On the subject of dialogue/writing:

The way I evaluate dialogue in any game is by whether it makes me cringe. All the speculation about intent and self-awareness generally carries little weight. If it's good writing, it's good writing, whether it be serious, parody, satire, whatever. If I can't tell for sure which of those things it is supposed to be, even when people assure me that "it's totally bad on purpose, dude!" then I consider it bad.

I think that's pretty fair, though I usually watch or listen a few times before writing it off because it can grow on me.

I don't think you guys get it. They aren't making Dante some grimdark rage fantasy, it's supposed to be super campy and cheesy like the old games but in a new context. I was cracking up that whole boss fight.

It's not subtle and it's not overt. It's just... sloppy. I've watched the whole fight, several times, and listened to all the dialogue several times. I didn't crack a smile. I will play the demo once I get home.

Ninja Theory has gone on record saying that this is what they think is cool. They openly admitted that they're trying to appeal to disenfranchised youths. I don't see how you can fault people for interpreting it that way.

"I SHOULD THE ONE FILLING MY HEART WITH LIIIIIIIIIIGHT!"

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I think that's pretty fair, though I usually watch or listen a few times before writing it off because it can grow on me.

Don't get me wrong, terrible dialogue can be endearing. RE4 is probably one of those cases where at first I found it embarrassing but played the game so many times that I grew to appreciate it. I kind of miss the days when translation/writing was so bad that you weren't sure what the writers were thinking.

The DMC series has always rubbed me the wrong way because of Dante's "bad ass" attitude. People say it's a parody, but I'm not familiar with what it's a parody of. I also think that if a parody is just as stupid and annoying as the thing it's parodying, it doesn't get a free pass for being a parody.

I don't think you guys get it. They aren't making Dante some grimdark rage fantasy, it's supposed to be super campy and cheesy like the old games but in a new context. I was cracking up that whole boss fight. And not at NT's expense.

I don't know if I am one of "you guys" but my post wasn't strictly about DmC because I haven't played the demo yet. I won't judge the writing in the game until I've seen a lot more of it.

However, we do have people disagreeing about the intent and whether it succeeds at being campy or comes off as overly serious (just as people have done with past DMC games), so I guess I was chiming in on that issue.

It's not subtle and it's not overt. It's just... sloppy. I've watched the whole fight, several times, and listened to all the dialogue several times. I didn't crack a smile. I will play the demo once I get home.

Ninja Theory has gone on record saying that this is what they think is cool. They openly admitted that they're trying to appeal to disenfranchised youths. I don't see how you can fault people for interpreting it that way.
Fair enough, I guess I just happen to be aligned with NT and Capcom's tastes on this one.

Dahbomb

So is anyone experimenting with enemy step in the demo or are people just mashing buttons against the easy enemies?

Talk about DMCs dialogue is boring. You either like it or you don't.

Majukun

yeah but seems like they failed at that.

new dante is just bad.Another proof that they didn't get was devil may cry was about (and this was pretty much confirmed in every damn interview when they talked about the old dante).

anyway..if the game let's you play on son of sparda from the beginning..maybe i'll buy this game when is cheap,otherwise i don't know if it's worth to go through the game once just to get to the good part :S

Zabka

I didn't get to play for long this morning but the gameplay is light years ahead of Enslaved. The only thing that didn't feel snappy was double jumping.

From watching gameplay before I thought the UI was a little overdone but it wasn't an issue when I played. The only (extremely minor) knock I'd give the in-game presentation is that there isn't any transition effect going from Devil/Angel weapons back to the normal sword.

yeah but seems like they failed at that.

new dante is just bad.Another proof that they didn't get was devil may cry was about (and this was pretty much confirmed in every damn interview when they talked about the old dante).

To be fair, I was one of the guys saying "new Dante is bad" when DMC3 came out. To me, DMC1 is still the best in the series in every respect except boss battles and I've been disappointed in Dante every game since. DmC has me more excited than any of the previous sequels.

Don't get me wrong, terrible dialogue can be endearing. RE4 is probably one of those cases where at first I found it embarrassing but played the game so many times that I grew to appreciate it. I kind of miss the days when translation/writing was so bad that you weren't sure what the writers were thinking.

The DMC series has always rubbed me the wrong way because of Dante's "bad ass" attitude. People say it's a parody, but I'm not familiar with what it's a parody of. I also think that if a parody is just as stupid and annoying as the thing it's parodying, it doesn't get a free pass for being a parody.

I don't think Dante was a parody of anything, yet again Dante was inconsistent through the old games as well, even Kamiya said "his" Dante was just DMC1 Dante.

DMC1 Dante was a action hero using cheesy one liners here and there, but he was serious some times when talking about his family and in the last stages of the game.

DMC2 Dante was a robot.

DMC3 Dante was all about Woooohooo! and Yeeehay! and being a crazy teenager with demon powers.

DMC4 Dante didn't give a sh*t and seemed to be doing stuff in the game for the laughs.

DMC4 Dante isn't even Dante anymore. He's a parody of himself.

I'll never forgive Capcom for turning Vergil into weeaboo-bait >:-(

I want my badass demon knight back.

Gbraga

Neither is my Italian!

Wait, what? Berial and Echidna were fantastic!

dan2026

It feels like its going to extremely difficult to do the Demon dodge. RT/RB at the same time.
Way too much finger gymnastics.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It looks more like a well-timed attack when the boss swings his arm

It says "epic parry" (lol) on the screen when he does it.

EDIT: you're right, it's executed by attacking at the right time. Hope it's not too difficult to time it at 30fps.

It feels like its going to extremely difficult to do the Demon dodge. RT/RB at the same time.
Way too much finger gymnastics.

Don't both triggers dodge? I might be full of shit but I think I remember hearing they put dodge on both triggers precisely for that reason.

Top Bottom