• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC: Devil May Cry - Demo Thread [Demo out now on XBL & PSN]

I really liked the demo a lot. Combat feels more fluid and varied than previous Devil May Cry games, I really like the things they've done with the universe, and the vibe they've created all around. It looks to be very cinematic, with the interesting backstory of the DMC universe finally coming forward. From the sample we hear of the soundtrack, that sounds much better than the generic metal we've heard from previous DMC games. Definitely buying this.

Mit-

I'm waiting for Dahbomb to tell me what I should think.

But I'm still mad that this series got rebooted and that all the old characters I loved are gone forever, and still won't buy this game for more than $20 no matter how good it is.

Dedicated launcher button? :\ I didn't even use lock-on that much before. I just launched after a few hits of a combo all the time. I guess they really needed the ability to raw launch :\

Reiko

Banned
This game uses blast processing then?

Funny you mention that. Sonic on the Genesis was actually 60fps.

I wish Sonic Generations nailed the feel of 60fps, I don't think DMC will either. But at least it won't have crazy blurring like the former.

I don't agree with some of the design choices in this game. The art direction is great and colourful, but the HUD doesn't fit, and the text on the wall stuff irks me. Other than that, the combat seems good, not Bayonetta but better than I was expecting. The writing on the other hand... not good. I have actually met the voice actor (if it's who I believe it to be), and this Dante sure seems like him. Have they talked about how long the game will be?

ezekial45

Banned
I don't agree with some of the design choices in this game. The art direction is great and colourful, but the HUD doesn't fit, and the text on the wall stuff irks me. Other than that, the combat seems good, not Bayonetta but better than I was expecting. The writing on the other hand... not good. I have actually met the voice actor (if it's who I believe it to be), and this Dante sure seems like him. Have they talked about how long the game will be?

Tim Phillips?

They said 10-12 hours on normal, but since this is a DMC game and a lot of players like to clear through it to get to the high difficulty, it'll probably be less than that.

Kajiba

Actually like the demo. only thing I didn't like was the button layout. Had to change shooting from X to B. Made everything much better, Seriously.

Playing the level over again right now to learn some combos. Probably do the boss battle later.

Isaccard

Funny you mention that. Sonic on the Genesis was actually 60fps.

I wish Sonic Generations nailed the feel of 60fps, I don't think DMC will either. But at least it won't have crazy blurring like the former.

PC version is 60FPS.

Just sayin'.

Majukun

I do not think that it was a colossal waste, or even a waste at all. This game focuses heavily on the aerial combat, and with the different angel/devil weapons (angel modifier almost always sustaining enemies in the air and/or pulling them up from the ground or from the air, to even further heights, demon modifier always knocking down from the air, working as a sort of finisher + projectile from air to ground), it would be a mess if you need to use combinations and direction+attacks all the time you want to get an enemy into the air.

With the different enemies on the first level, it is already worth it for many situations to stay afloat, I can only hope the developers build on that premise with even more variety (and mobs that do not like you in the air, maybe :p)

they could use bumpers (i don't remember them being used in any way in this demo)/analog stick movements to make launchers,so that the B button could have been used to increase the number of combos...

anyway...played on son of sparda level,and my opinion on the game changed,at least on that difficulty setting,the game is kinda good,with different types of enemies,the blue/red variants of them and all in all a more challenging game that finally request you to explore the deepness in his combat system.

we are not at "bayonetta-level" type of good..but it seems a good action,at least at son of sparda

i've really appreciated the amount of collectibles in each level though...explored the level and found all the collectibles minus a gold key (there is even one in the level?because there's not a golden door) and 2 souls..game gave me an S anyway in that regard

dante is still terrible though.and the italian dub makes all worse.

Since there's no longer a "lock-on" button they had to change the way the launcher works.

hmm..make sense..but still seems really underwhelming for me to go back to mono-button combos after bayonetta

V_Arnold

they could use bumpers (i don't remember them being used in any way in this demo)/analog stick movements to make launchers,so that the B button could have been used to increase the number of combos...

Both upper bumpers are used (the two different kinds of dodges), and the lowers as well (angel/demon modifiers).

Even L3/R3 is used - switch aerial targets and reset camera.

By the way, I am going to put L3 to "up", so gunswitch is on L3, and I can switch between targets in the air with the d-pad up. That is the only real change I can imagine doing, beside messing with some buttons, of course.

rvy

Banned
- "Fuck you."
- "Fuck you!"
- "FUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO*barf*OOOOOOOOOOOOU"

So awful, LMAO. Who wrote this shit?

I have to say that it's surprisingly good-looking. Especially animation-wise. I still put DMC 4 over it, but it's much better than I expected. Looks dirty as hell, but it works.

DR2K

Banned
it felt fluid to me. maybe not as fluid as bayonetta, but I still thought the combat was fluid and very responsive. I think they may have nailed the feel of 60fps even if it is only 30fps.

It was pretty responsive even compared to Bayonetta, which was 60fps but had an ass load of tearing and slowdown(even on 360). It's a solid 30fps, which is a major plus.

Tim Phillips?

They said 10-12 hours on normal, but since this is a DMC game and a lot of players like to clear through it to get to the high difficulty, it'll probably be less than that.

Huh. Thought it was someone from 90210. Son of Sparda probably won't be unlocked from the get-go, so this game should soak up 25ish hours for me. Sounds good. I was surprised by the rebindable buttons, as it is an NT game after all. If only they approached Enslaved in the same way.

I honestly don't understand how they could make so much bad dialogue. At first I figured it must just be a bad concept art (demon orphanages), then I figured okay this boss is so bad that it couldn't be representative of the whole game (FUCK YOU secret ingredient).

Then I saw the dev diary 2 of Kat and a stream of the demo - the characters and writing are truly that bad, all the time. The worst is that the people who made this game purposefully kept trying to be edgy. Over and over. I have not seen such poor characters in a long time.

Miker

Just played through DMC 1 and 3 and I'm really hoping this will be good - then I'll pick it up on PC for dat 60 fps.

Now, though, I'll be waiting for Dahbomb to drop dahbomb.

Majukun

Both upper bumpers are used (the two different kinds of dodges), and the lowers as well (angel/demon modifiers).

Even L3/R3 is used - switch aerial targets and reset camera.

By the way, I am going to put L3 to "up", so gunswitch is on L3, and I can switch between targets in the air with the d-pad up. That is the only real change I can imagine doing, beside messing with some buttons, of course.

oh yes true...well analog movements still appllies though...just make the player push back*certain attack to make the launcher,and here you go.

a question..is possible to upgrade the character in the demo?how?the game continueds to give me upgrade points that i don't know how to use

rmanthorp

Finished the demo multiple times on all the difficulties and actually found myself warming up to it a lot. Combat is rewarding as hell. Few things. I feel like DT is a very rare thing that doesn't seem all to useful. It is very easy to abuse the style system with certain moves and lastly it took me way to long to work out how to execute the stinger. There doesn't seem to be anything in game about it?

Oh and the limbo shit looks and acts fucking fantasticly top to bottom.

EDIT: Oh and super not keen on the auto lock on with no target reticle. Can I change this pr change targets. It's killer...

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Because DMC games have always been super serious dramas with awesome deep dialogues about pettiness of human nature.

rvy

Banned
Because DMC games have always been super serious dramas with awesome deep dialogues about pettiness of human nature.

No, but they were cheesy and Dante was self-aware. Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you tries too hard and seems to fail miserably.

I actually enjoyed the writing and characters in Enslaved, although I never did complete it. I wonder whether they feel the need to be edgy to make an impression.

They did not sound like they were written as a DevinatART fanfic that's for sure. You really find it surprising that some people wouldn't like this overly serious dialogue?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
No, but they were cheesy and Dante was self-aware. Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you tries too hard and seems to fail miserably.

I have to play it myself to judge properly. NT's games had a lot of flaws but writing definitely wasn't one of them.

ezekial45

Banned
lol, that's not too hard to do. More so if you do it solo so you can abuse the game's AI and some skills which turn it into a unkillable healing machine.

Well game was pretty frustrating as it was, so finishing the entire game again on Pro does show some gumption that I admire.

DihcarEM

Downloaded the demo, as expected quite mediocre.
However it won't be a bad game.
You can really tell that it's 30 fps.
By the time this game is released DMC4 will be 5 years old and DmC does not look better then it. Art direction no doubt is an improvement but graphics wise it isn't, which to me the unreal engine is also partly to blame for.

Gameplay, the combat is very easy to use and has some dept to it but the soft lock causes some major issues. Like when you have multiple enemies and you want to weed out specific targets. Like one that only gets damaged by a devil weapon or you are doing some sweet combos and all of the sudden you get pulled to the wrong enemy which breaks your flow.
Mainstream however will love it, you pull off all the flashy moves with very little skill required.

Story, i can't judge the full game yet but the dialogue in the demo(and trailers so far) is atrocious and very childish, lots of foul languege which i guess makes you cool these days.
I don't expect much from the full game since i've hated the storyline of both Heavenly sword and Enslaved.

All in all i think sales will be decent. I'll wait a month or two and buy it for a bargain.

V_Arnold

"Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you" was not bad at all, but I called that being fine without seeing the context :p

It is simply a good joke on the mere idea of having a conversation with a big ass ugly demon. "I am 1200 years old, Danteee, you cant kill me", yeah? Well, Dante does not give a shit about your age, dude. Simple as that.

Oh yes it did. Nero's story arc felt like it was ripped off from some Bleach fan fiction.

I can give you Nero - I don't know who didn't cringe at his shit love story. But you can't for a minute tell me that Demon Orphanages is not a thirteen year old attempt at an original character. When Ket said her parents or step parents were demons so she "killed the bastards"? The developers just found out swear words were cool!

I know it's a personal opinion, but I can handle cheesy Nero love plots more than an out of touch developer trying to be cool

EDIT

V_Arnold said:
"Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you" was not bad at all, but I called that being fine without seeing the context :p

It is simply a good joke on the mere idea of having a conversation with a big ass ugly demon. "I am 1200 years old, Danteee, you cant kill me", yeah? Well, Dante does not give a shit about your age, dude. Simple as that.

That dialogue was anything but a "good joke". If Dante hadn't have prefaced the conversation with his "My name is Dante, but you can call me Dante the demon killer, has a nice ring to it" shit then you might be able to argue that. But I do not enjoy being beaten over the head with Dante's new "badass" image. If angsty swearing doesn't phase you, that's fine.

mr_nothin

Banned

I'm not getting the hate on the dialogue either. It's definitely not taking itself serious as most here are saying. The way he's delivering lines to the demon is very snarky and not serious at all.

V_Arnold

I'm not getting the hate on the dialogue either. It's definitely not taking itself serious as most here are saying. The way he's delivering lines to the demon is very snarky and not serious at all.

Yes, he is rustling some demon jimmies, and he seemingly enjoys it. And yeah, I can imagine a certain type of players who would be riled up by it as well. :p (The "I am too old for this shit" kind of players). It is not their fault, it is simply how it is.

Asriel

Downloaded the demo, as expected quite mediocre.
However it won't be a bad game.
You can really tell that it's 30 fps.
By the time this game is released DMC4 will be 5 years old and DmC does not look better then it. Art direction no doubt is an improvement but graphics wise it isn't, which to me the unreal engine is also partly to blame for.

LOL, ok.

Top Bottom