• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC: Devil May Cry - Demo Thread [Demo out now on XBL & PSN]

Valnen

Got the PS3 version right here. It tears constantly, and it's not locked at 30fps Welp.

If I get this game I'll be getting it on PC.

Gameplay feels smooth(ish) enough for the horrendus framerate but I swear in some of the cutscenes it's running at 10-15. That's unforgivably bad.

Gbraga

The platforming sessions are a lot more boring than I expected, I actually thought they'd be fun. Maybe it's just because I watched them over and over before playing.

I dont get it. How does GOW3 run so beautifully and look so good while DMC does not look as good as a 2 year old game and still struggle to run even at 30 fps. Granted it is a demo build but its really fascinating. Either NT cant code for nuts on PS3 or Santa Monica studio is God tier or maybe both.

Probably a combination of a massive budget, being owned by the company that makes the console they work on exclusively, fixed camera(since the player cannot look at everything, SSM can lay off certain parts to concentrate on the stuff the player will see), and general expertise.

Valnen

And how do we unlock the feel of 60fps?

By paying for the unlock key on Steam.

Cool! It's like an easy shortcut to a high score.

That's...not cool. They're dumbing down the game.

I dont get it. How does GOW3 run so beautifully and look so good while DMC does not look as good as a 2 year old game and still struggle to run even at 30 fps. Granted it is a demo build but its really fascinating. Either NT cant code for nuts on PS3 or Santa Monica studio is God tier or maybe both.

Even DMC 4 looked better than this game and still ran way better.

I am really digging the music and atmosphere. The gameplay is good, smooth, and fun. I love the exploration and finding all the secret stuff.

A winner.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The platforming sessions are a lot more boring than I expected, I actually thought they'd be fun. Maybe it's just because I watched them over and over before playing.

I've never understood the praise these sections were getting. How many times can Dante traverse floating debris before it gets old?

AlexBasch

Definitely seems like a great action game for people who aren't Devil May Cry fans, I'll give it that much.
I get ridiculed and lambasted by people when I say that I like Splinter Cell Conviction, mostly because I never liked the first ones. So this is gonna happen again because I really liked the demo.

I did like DMC a lot, though.

i-Lo

So.. looks like once again Ninja Theory has failed to provide parity between the two versions. Not really surprised. IF the reviews turn out favourably, I'll pick it up after a few price drops for 360.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Downloaded the demo twice now, both times it has not installed because it said it had corrupted data. Going to give this one more go...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I've never understood the praise these sections were getting. How many times can Dante traverse floating debris before it gets old?

But they look so exciting! It breaks up the monotony of combat, which everyone hates. Also, the framerate can finally be stable during the platforming, too.

PS3

Beat the under watch part and I didn't have any framerate problems or bugs.

What kind of bugs are we talking about?

Also I liked it.

I just finished the PS3 version on Son of Sparda difficulty.

Overall, at this point the xbox 360 version runs perfect. It has a stable framerate and I didn't see any tearing.

I'm noticing framerate problems mostly in regards to the cutscenes on the PS3 version. At the start of each cutscene there are some framerate hiccups. The gameplay framerate is adequate other than some tearing. Hopefully the bring the ps3 version up to standard to the 360 version. At least it's no fuck up like Bayonetta ps3.

Mechazawa

No lie. Switching between demon and angel forms of weapons is hella intuitive. I really like that bit.

Is there any sort of lock on, though? The soft lock in this is doing nothing for me.

Gbraga

I just finished the PS3 version on Son of Sparda difficulty.

Overall, at this point the xbox 360 version runs perfect. It has a stable framerate and I didn't see any tearing.

The Ps3 versions gameplay framerate is fine mostly, but there is some screen tearing. The problem comes in from the cutscenes. At the start of a cutscene, there is this little jutter of the framerate, almost as if the PS3 is trying to catch up really quick.

It's certainly not the fuck up that was Bayonetta PS3 - in which that version both suffered technically and visually. And considering it's on unreal engine, the ps3 version performs better than expected. I suggest NT tones down the visuals in certain regards like what Platinum did for MGS:Rising to improve performance on the PS3.

The bottom line is that any performance problems the PS3 version has can be taken care of by toning down some superflous visual bullshit people won't notice to begin with. It's not a lost cause like Bayonetta PS3.

The very fact that they gave the superfluous visual bullshit priority over the framerate is bullshit.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Definitely seems like a great action game for people who aren't Devil May Cry fans, I'll give it that much.

Came in here to say this! I've always hated Devil May Cry but this is AWESOME!!

DAY ONE!

Last game I was this excited about was Enslaved flawed game but I loved that as well...

Ninja Theory isn't the best but they are def my fav independent video game developer this generation.

Valnen

Came in here to say this! I've always hated Devil May Cry but this is AWESOME!!

Unfortunately as a Devil May Cry fan I feel this game is kind of a slap in the face and doesn't deserve to exist, but whatever. I hope people enjoy it and we get a real Devil May Cry 5 some day.

Akainu

Unfortunately as a Devil May Cry fan I feel this game is kind of a slap in the face and doesn't deserve to exist, but whatever. I hope people enjoy it and we get a real Devil May Cry 5 some day.

What's a dmc fan again? Do I have to love everything about it or always be able to get the best combos to be a fan?

jett

D-Member
Okay, maybe this is twice I'm changing my mind one this game in one day. :lol Son of Sparda was a lot better, this needs to be unlocked from the start in the final game. You are forced to switch it up and make better use of the Angel and Demon weapons. I imagine it will get like on Nephilim in later levels too, though. Really had a great time on SoS(even with dying twice :p), and now that I'm getting to used to the feel of 30fps I may have overstated the framerate problems on the PS3 version, it's not that bad. I do wish it was 60fps, hopefully I can get it to run at 60 on my PC.

Visually the game really is fantastic, I love the look of the powered up Osiris.

What's a dmc fan again? Do I have to love everything about it or always be able to get the best combos to be a fan?

You have to be a fan of hot guys in leather suits apparently. Also the game has to be made by a Japanese team. The pseudo-European designs of the game can only be made correctly by people of that ethnicity.

JoeFenix

The framerate is so bad on PS3, this shit is unbearable. The feel of 60 fps, what a joke!

This game is awful on so many levels, I'd rather play NG3 honestly. This game just gave me a horrible headache.

Coxy

hm, it's very western action gamey, felt somewhere between dante's inferno and darksiders to me, definitely not for me

JoeFenix

Btw you can beat the boss fight on SoS by just parrying (Epic Parry! Barf!) the swipe and then demon pulling and doing a basic three hit combo with the axe. Rinse and repeat.

Got SS style just for that, what a great boss fight! This shit is so junky feeling, I've been playing alot of DMC3 recently, this is inferior on every level. A complete travesty.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You have to be a fan of hot guys in leather suits apparently. Also the game has to be made by a Japanese team. The pseudo-European designs of the game can only be made correctly by people of that ethnicity.

Or you could be a fan of male heartthrob bad boys in a teenybopper soap opera, and a skaterpunk grunge aesthetic fashioned by a pretentious Western art studio.

Hooray for dismissive generalizations!

OSHAN

Okay, maybe this is twice I'm changing my mind one this game in one day. :lol Son of Sparda was a lot better, this needs to be unlocked from the start in the final game. You are forced to switch it up and make better use of the Angel and Demon weapons. I imagine it will get like on Nephilim in later levels too, though. Really had a great time on SoS(even with dying twice :p), and now that I'm getting to used to the feel of 30fps I may have overstated the framerate problems on the PS3 version, it's not that bad. I do wish it was 60fps, hopefully I can get it to run at 60 on my PC.

Visually the game really is fantastic, I love the look of the powered up Osiris.

I'm in the same boat. I'm not sure if my expectations weren't set properly, but while playing through the demo a second time the framerate wasn't as noticeable, at least during gameplay. Cutscenes still aren't where they need to be.

Do the enemies fuck your shit up on the highest difficulty or am I going to have to skip this demo?

Find out. Downloading a demo doesn't burn any calories and won't give you hypoglycemia. Also, SoS isn't the hardest difficulty, just the highest in the demo.

But to answer your question if you'd played devil may cry as much as I have, there exists no difficulty in any action that could 'fuck my shit up.' Playing over 200 hours of DMC1 and DMC3 on DMD does that to your "gaming skills."

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Btw you can beat the boss fight on SoS by just parrying (Epic Parry! Barf!) the swipe and then demon pulling and doing a basic three hit combo with the axe. Rinse and repeat.

Got SS style just for that, what a great boss fight! This shit is so junky feeling, I've been playing alot of DMC3 recently, this is inferior on every level. A complete travesty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=903X23ISK-o

So this strategy still works?

GG Ninja Theory.

JoeFenix

You really have to lower your standards to even begin thinking this is a great action game. Is it playable? Sure I guess, if you can stomach the framerate but it's so far from the quality level of DMC 1-3-4 that it's not even funny.

Thank god for Platinum games, that's all I have to say after playing this.

goldenpp72

Game seems fun to me, I like the DMC series but i'm not a huge fan of it, so this game was a nice visual treat while having a solid combat engine, and I was surprised the platforming and cutscenes were.. fun.

jett

D-Member
When you activate DT during the boss fight you can see an angel grab on the thing but it doesn't do anything, other than pull you closer. Is that all it is?

JoeFenix

Is different you actually parry, not demon pull.

The parry has a different effect in this build but it's essentialy the same strategy. The boss has one attack.

Can't believe someone in this thread said that this boss was a perfect example of fantastic boss fight design. Really people?

Nemesis_

So after spending some time with this demo my expectations have lowered.

A lot.

This is just such a disappointment. I'm sure more weapons might make things a bit more interesting but the combat is really drab. Where were these "DMC FANS" who apparently approved and/or were consistently testing this? Did none of them speak up?

Tried the demo now, even though I played the same demo from E3, I had more time to explore the world. The Angel traversal seemed jankey to me.

For example, when I tried to get somewhere straight, I went to the right (?) and just missed the platform.

Everything else is great, although still too much color, skipping the cutscenes (for personal reasons). That's it.

Top Bottom