• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC: Devil May Cry - Demo Thread [Demo out now on XBL & PSN]

Looks like enemies from the suffering, third rate boring uninspired crap. And they look even worse in game.
Let us travel lightyears towards the DMC of legend:

enemy_11jfb4.gif

enemy_7zafed.gif

enemy_2xrikk.gif

enemy_47hcn6.jpg

coffin20boyc4ftu.jpg

enemy_169vdhy.gif

JoeFenix

And DmC enemies are more interesting than scarecrows, which is the equivalent comparison.

DMC3 from Pluto confirmed.

Enemies-Scarecrows.png

Cmon man, artistically the scarecrows so much better looking it`s not even funny!

DMC3 did have the weakest enemy design in the series other than 2 but they are still better than this crap!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I like how the demo is finally out and people are still having stupid arguments over shit we've known about for half a year in this thread

Well let's just say there was no crow to be eaten today. Ninja Theory set their sights on making a C-tier action game out of a god tier series and they succeeded. Now Devil May Cry can hang among other hits like Splatterhouse and Afro Samurai and Ninja Theories previous shit games.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
SO IDENTICAL YOU GUYS!

These new DmC enemies are such a downgrade it's not even funny. I'm so sad that this is what we're stuck with after nearly 5 years of waiting for a sequel. What a joke!

These are all higher tier enemies in their respective games.

Now Devil May Cry can hang among other hits like Splatterhouse and Afro Samurai and Ninja Theories previous shit games.

This game is miles better than any of those games.

Mesoian

I like how the demo is finally out and people are still having stupid arguments over shit we've known about for half a year in this thread

Gotta put up the inevitable last line of defense of bitching and moaning and wishing Dante still had long hair before they inevitably buy it in January.

Seriously, the last 10 pages in this thread are like republicans after Romney lost.

Just waiting for people to say they're throwing out their consoles because they're not getting Devil May Cry 5.

I just have a Pavlovian response to DMC3 namedrops after all the years of fighting the war as a Ninja Gaiden Black fan. Which shitty enemies are more shitty?

Poor, unappreciated incendiary shuriken ninja.

These are all higher tier enemies in their respective games

I think you are giving NT way too much credit. I wouldn't be surprised if "lumbering enemy with shield you have to use color coded weapon on" is considered a middle tier enemy to them.

I just have a Pavlovian response to DMC3 namedrops after all the years of fighting the war as a Ninja Gaiden Black fan. Which shitty enemies are more shitty?

Poor, unappreciated incendiary shuriken ninja.

Ninja Gaiden Black (or NG2) and DMC1/3/4 are on entirely separate galaxies of quality compared to DmC.

Good Lord, everything about this game is better than everything else in the series.

Except framerate. No way in shit am I buying that. I can't even play that.

JoeFenix

I'm not saying DmC is a masterpiece, I just want people off the DMC3-worship train.

DMC3 enemy designs are the weakest aspect of the game but actualy fighting them is still fun. The bosses in 3 more than make up for the weak regular enemies. It introduced the style system and Royal Guard, the most fun and rewarding mechanic in DMC imo.

People don`t like DMC3 because of the enemies but atleast they are serviceable.

JoeFenix

Gotta put up the inevitable last line of defense of bitching and moaning and wishing Dante still had long hair before they inevitably buy it in January.

Seriously, the last 10 pages in this thread are like republicans after Romney lost.

Just waiting for people to say they're throwing out their consoles because they're not getting Devil May Cry 5.

Yes, it`s all about the HAIR! I CARE SO MUCH ABOUT HIS HAIR!

You definitely brought substance to this discussion, I`m glad you contributed!

Mesoian

I think you are giving NT way too much credit. I wouldn't be surprised if "lumbering enemy with shield you have to use color coded weapon on" is considered a middle tier enemy to them.

The real reason why you should be upset with Ninja Theory is that they're not using Enslaved's character model system. Compared to Enslaved, DMC's character models look down right flat.

Still can't begin to figure out why you guys are getting so upset over the design of jobber enemies and the first phase of a boss. You guys do realize that this level was probably the place you first get the whip, right? Like, level 1, 2 minutes after the first cutscene is over?

You guys sound like lunatics.

I don't care if they replaced Dante with Tofu from Resident Evil if it played great. NT just makes shit games and I am continually surprised they still exist as a studio.

Esura

Banned
Well let's just say there was no crow to be eaten today. Ninja Theory set their sights on making a C-tier action game out of a god tier series and they succeeded. Now Devil May Cry can hang among other hits like Splatterhouse and Afro Samurai and Ninja Theories previous shit games.

This game is miles better than any of those games.

Damn, why everyone ganging up on Afro? Was pretty good.

I bet the arguments there were the same as the ones here.

Basically boiled down to this:

Ninja Gaiden has better normal enemies and bosses
Ninja Gaiden has smoother animation and better graphics and sound
Ninja Gaiden's Mission Mode is better than Bloody Palace
Master Ninja Mode is more challenging than Dante Must Die

vs

Devil May Cry 3 has a funnier protagonist
Devil May Cry 3 combos look fancy
Devil May Cry 3 has a better soundtrack
Vergil is really fun

JoeFenix

Ninja Gaiden Black (or NG2) and DMC1/3/4 are on entirely separate galaxies of quality compared to DmC.

More enemies with doll heads and blade arms. We`ve also seen ratcats with blanka rolls. And a fat dude with a chainsaw and a tv in his stomach!

Ninja Gaiden Black is incredible and DMC3 is pretty godlike too! Both are A tier action games and this is C tier at best.

vs

Vergil is really fun

DMC3 and NGBlack are both masterpieces, and which of the two games one likes more is mostly a matter of preference for style, aesthetics and combat mechanics.

Either way, DmC doesn't belong anywhere near the quality of those two titles.

Mesoian

vs

Vergil is really fun

So yeah, only flipped.

I dunno guys. I thought the demo was fine. It didn't blow my socks off, but I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed DMC4's demo. If anything, the combat was a lot better than what I expected, I thought the combat was going to be severely restricted like Enslaved's. My only observation about it, not really a complaint, was that it was slower and was a little less break neck.

You guys are treating this thing like the plague.

Like what? Just out of curiosity.
The design, the atmosphere, the theme...it all just feels so much better in the presentation department. Devil May Cry has always been a complete joke in those regards(not that it tried to be anything else), but this one seems to give it all a direction.

To bad it runs like complete and utter shit. It probably won't have the same "meta" flow as DMC 3, but it makes up for it in other categories. I also like Dante's design, and his animation is nice as well, though pointless because of said framerate. It's like below 30fps lol

Mesoian

I felt the same reaction to his post.

My point is, in a game that's going to be heavily influenced by theming, getting super worked up over the design of a few jobber enemies that were tossed into a stable version of an old build for a demo is the same as the people who aren't playing this game because it doesn't start with Dante with long hair and eating pizza.

You guys made your decisions before you ever played this demo. You've seen less than 1% of the game and have already written it off as being the worst game of 2013.

BadAss2961

Well DMC3 has gameplay that still has yet to be surpassed so that's not going to happen.

Also has the superior Vergil design.
I saw DmC's Vergil for the first time when I played the demo today. All I could do was shake my head. His revision is even worse than Dante's. lol

The design, the atmosphere, the theme...it all just feels so much better in the presentation department. Devil May Cry has always been a complete joke in those regards(not that it tried to be anything else), but this one seems to give it all a direction.

To bad it runs like complete and utter shit. It probably won't have the same "meta" flow as DMC 3, but it makes up for it in other categories. I also like Dante's design, and his animation is nice as well, though pointless because of said framerate. It's like below 30fps lol

"My name is Dante!"
"Fuck you!"
"Fuck you!"
"FUCK YOU!"
"FUCK YOU!!"
*VOOOOOOOOMIT*

Yeah. Great. They took him from a cocky badass to Justin Bieber having an argument with a paparazzo in his Ferrari.

Don't even get me started on that Anonymous "youtube"-esque bullshit video where they whine about the government and how it's watching us maaaaaan.

Anteater

Framerate feels bad man, certainly doesn't feel as smooth as something like Vanquish, but I think the combat speed is fine and a lot quicker than I expected, also the game just froze, lol.

I kind of like it, the angel/demon and dodge is hard to get use to, I played through it once on both levels so far and I'm still trying to get used to the whip, since I set my gun to L1 I guess it gets kind of confusing, maybe I'll just map it back to the face buttons. I also am pressing R1 all the time for everything out of habit.

edit: ahh much better now remapping the gun

My point is, in a game that's going to be heavily influenced by theming, getting super worked up over the design of a few jobber enemies that were tossed into a stable version of an old build for a demo is the same as the people who aren't playing this game because it doesn't start with Dante with long hair and eating pizza.

You guys made your decisions before you ever played this demo. You've seen less than 1% of the game and have already written it off as being the worst game of 2013.
We have eyes and years of DMC gameplay to see this was in the wrong hands as far as delivering what fans were accustomed to. I'm sorry you think mediocrity should be given a pass by people who are passionate about the series, just because you aren't.

JoeFenix

So yeah, only flipped.

I dunno guys. I thought the demo was fine. It didn't blow my socks off, but I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed DMC4's demo. If anything, the combat was a lot better than what I expected, I thought the combat was going to be severely restricted like Enslaved's. My only observation about it, not really a complaint, was that it was slower and was a little less break neck.

You guys are treating this thing like the plague.

Because we`re not coming at it from a superficial level like you seem to be. These games aren`t mean to be played once to see the cutscenes and move on. That`s probably why you don`t see much of a difference.

And even then, the performance is objectively awful and the animations are not even in the same league as games that came out nearly 10 years ago on much worse hardware.

Action game developers have fallen from grace this generation and fans are starving for good games, this is not a good game. Hence the frustration when people who barely play these games more than for a casual playthrough come in here and start talking it up like it`s fucking amazing and everyone who has an issue with it is some fanboy who only cares about his hair.

Hope that helps you understand how dumb you`ve been sounding in your last couple of posts!

Mesoian

"My name is Dante!"
"Fuck you!"
"Fuck you!"
"FUCK YOU!"
"FUCK YOU!!"
*VOOOOOOOOMIT*

Yeah. Great. They took him from a cocky badass to Justin Bieber having an argument with a paparazzo in his Ferrari.

Don't even get me started on that Annonymous "youtube"-esque bullshit video where they whine about the government and how its watching us maaaaaan.

HA! YES! To be honest, THIS was what I had the biggest problem with. Man this narrative is SO CLUNKLY in it's attempts to be edgy and relevant. The FOX-News-esque angle is an easy one to take and make work for your story as it's incredibly relevant in every major nation.

But man...when the witty repertoire between your protagonist and the boss, who I assume is a high level figure in the story, is "FUCK YOU!" "FUCK YOU!" "NO FUCK YOU!" My head lolls right off my shoulders. I laughed, because it was so damn silly.

But it's no worse than "Fill this place of darkness with liiiiiiiight".

Where is the Enslaved writing staff? That game was witty and novel, the combat just sucked.

Because we`re not coming at it from a superficial level like you seem to be. These games aren`t mean to be played once to see the cutscenes and move on. That`s probably why you don`t see much of a difference.

And even then, the performance is objectively awful and the animations are not even in the same league as games that came out nearly 10 years ago on much worse hardware.

Action game developers have fallen from grace this generation and fans are starving for good games, this is not a good game. Hence the frustration when people who barely play these games more than for a casual playthrough come in here and start talking it up like it`s fucking amazing and everyone who has an issue with it is some fanboy who only cares about his hair.

Hope that helps you understand how dumb you`ve been sounding in your last couple of posts!

Don't forget the piss poor UE3 (TM) shadow dithering, EVERYWHERE.

BadAss2961

So basically, you like it better with the exception of everything having to do with gameplay.

I thoroughly disagree about the presentation, but I won't even get into that.
Wow lucky you, you missed all the chaos over the new character design for many many months.
I stopped paying attention to DmC's development a bit after gameplay was first shown.

I actually like Ninja Theory though. They're good for cinematic action games (Heavenly Sword is underrated), but they have no business doing Devil May Cry.

"My name is Dante!"
"Fuck you!"
"Fuck you!"
"FUCK YOU!"
"FUCK YOU!!"
*VOOOOOOOOMIT*

Don't even get me started on that Annonymous "youtube"-esque bullshit video where they whine about the government and how its watching us maaaaaan.
Sad part is that it's better than everything else in the series from a narrative standpoint. Probably because they had their focus in other places, but eh, it's still better.

Mesoian

I hope, once you've calmed down some time tomorrow, you go back and reread this thread. I know you're upset, I understand where that anger is coming from, I experience it for a few games myself.

But seriously, LUNACY.

So basically, you like it better with the exception of everything having to do with gameplay.

To be perfectly frank, once I hear NinjaTheory was in charge, that's what I expecting. Something new and creative far beyond anything we've seen before...chained down by poor combat. Just like Enslaved.

There are signs it'll be that way...but...oh that narrative.

Sad part is that it's better than everything else in the series from a narrative standpoint. Probably because they had their focus in other places, but eh, it's still better.

I'll take awful Japanese attempts at European Gothic themes of malady and doom over this militant armchair-politician behind a Macbook garbage any day of the week.

Akainu

After your worse than LoS comment you can't be taken seriously go take a nap. You need some rest.

Pretty much. They flipped Devil May Cry inside out. I don't think the game design is bad at all though. It's a bit simpler maybe, but it's not bad. Just that damn framerate is horrendous. I was preparing myself for 30fps...but that looks like it's a rarity.

Mesoian

I'll take awful Japanese attempts at European Gothic themes of malady and doom over this militant armchair-politician behind a Macbook garbage any day of the week.

I don't understand how you can not be okay with one and be fine with the other, they are both equally stupid.

I liked what I played of the demo, but I'd like 60fps and better visuals so PC version for me. Combat is pretty slick and so are some of the camera angles during combat.

I'd rather have this ten fold. I could barely sit through the other cinematics in the series and skipped whenever possible. Different strokes I suppose. It's all good.

Top Bottom