• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Review Thread (Release Date - 1/15/13) Embargo is over!

In all fairness, this particular thread is probably one of the most reasonable in the history of DmC related topics across the entire internet.

Oh yea, I definitely agree w/ that. I was just saying overall in terms of this entire thing where people were starting off by speculating that the reviewers were going to get paid off and incompetent action fans will give it good reviews, negating any good reviews it would get. But yea, people are being pretty reasonable here right now.
In all fairness, this isn't the first time Darkness_Bear has made these sideline, drive-by remarks.

Psht, I thought that was fairly tame. You guys are getting really sensitive now... and I'm sorry, it's true that a lot of the DMC fans were hoping for low scores, this aint some crazy conspiracy I worked up.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I'm glad to see that it's getting critical acclaim. While the combat may not be as good (though, I find it to be satisfying), the atmosphere and level design seem much better compared to DMC4.

Deitus

Uh, most major reviews did talk about the launch issues though.

Not to start anything here, but there's a huge difference between "There are some technical issues, but this is still the #1 A+ best game ever" and actually calling developers on their shit.

antitrop

Oh yea, I definitely agree w/ that. I was just saying overall in terms of this entire thing where people were starting off by speculating that the reviewers were going to get paid off and incompetent action fans will give it good reviews, negating any good reviews it would get. But yea, people are being pretty reasonable here right now.
From what I saw, that was all mostly tongue-in-cheek after the "Games Journalism!" scandal.

He gave up on Bayonetta pretty quickly, but maybe he'll go back to it now since he's all excited about action games.

He really, really should.

Curufinwe

He also remarked on a recent Bombcast how me much he loved 60 fps games. "Give me all the frames!" I believe was the quote. Brad and Bayonetta seem like a match made in heaven.

Dahbomb

D3 was rated 88 on Metacritic ON LAUNCH. That's more than the previous Diablo games by the way. The game has come a long way since then but even now I would not rate D3 that high so anyone giving D3 8-9s and especially 10 at launch was certainly not doing their job of giving the game a proper review... which I guess it is to be expected of a game you really have to play 200 hours to realize it's bad. Plus with so much time being passed since D2, D3 probably got a lot of reviewers trying to review the game that never played D2 because they probably weren't into games that much to begin with a decade ago.

To me GB's 5/5 review for DmC is an outlier... sort of like Sessler's 3/5 review or that other site's 7/10. Apparently GB has a lot of clout on GAF so it's getting more attention than it normally would... then again most people including myself have a very difficult time imagining DmC getting a perfect score even after playing it. You really have to be overlooking numerous flaws on purpose to give it that high of a score.

ultron87

To me GB's 5/5 review for DmC is an outlier... sort of like Sessler's 3/5 review or that other site's 7/10. Apparently GB has a lot of clout on GAF so it's getting more attention than it normally would... then again most people including myself have a very difficult time imagining DmC getting a perfect score even after playing it. You really have to be overlooking numerous flaws on purpose to give it that high of a score.

Well you need to remember that five stars doesn't mean "perfect" on their review scale. To quote their FAQ: "While we don't believe any game is perfect, we recommend this game without reservation." Which is certainly something you can equally disagree with, but it is a much more reachable standard than "perfect".

Dahbomb

This Giantbomb review is causing quite the stir (not just here).

It's just one review guys... no need to get so worked up about it. Yes yes I know.... he thinks Enslaved is terrific, he hasn't played DMC3/DMC4/Bayo and he thinks DMC is a forgotten series. If you care about this stuff then disregard the review and move on. Watch the Adam Sessler review if it tickles your fancy.

Well you need to remember that five stars doesn't mean "perfect" on their review scale. To quote their FAQ: "While we don't believe any game is perfect, we recommend this game without reservation." Which is certainly something you can equally disagree with, but it is a much more understandable standard than "perfect".
Man I just had this discussion in the OT. I never said that they are implying DmC is "perfect" but on GB's admission they think DmC lives up to it's own full potential as differentiated from a 4/5 game which just doesn't reach it. I have played the game and IMO that is certainly not the case, at all. I know GAF puts a lot of weight in these GB Brad reviews but to me that review is about as useful as getting impressions from college students who just played DmC and it was their first action game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Here's the list I promised earlier.

I left out any incremental games like Dead Rising: Off The Record, UMvC3, and SSFIV as well as HD ports like Okami. It's not that I feel these games aren't valid, but I only wanted to compare new full price console releases from this generation since I felt they would be the most equivalent in terms of how they were rated.

Capcom full price retail console games Metacritic scores based on the version with the most ratings:

Street Fighter IV - 93
Zack & Wiki - 87
DmC - 86 (as of 36 reviews)
Dead Rising - 85
Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - 85
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom - 85
Street Fighter vs. Tekken - 84
Devil May Cry 4 - 84
Monster Hunter Tri - 84
Resident Evil 5 - 83
Dead Rising 2 - 79
Lost Planet 1 - 79
Resident Evil Darkside - 75
Resident Evil Umbrella - 75
We Love Golf! - 75
Dragon's Dogma - 75
MotoGP 10/11 - 72
Asura's Wrath - 71
Bionic Commando - 70
MotoGP 09/10 - 69
MotoGP 08 - 68
Lost Planet 2 - 68
Resident Evil 6 - 67
Spy Borgs - 66
Sengoku Basara - 61
Dead Rising Wii - 61
Harvey Birdman - 60
Dark Void - 59
Neopets Puzzle Adventure - 52
Resident Evil: ORC - 48
Steel Battalion Kinect - 38

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

I left out any incremental games like Dead Rising: Off The Record, UMvC3, and SSFIV as well as HD ports like Okami. It's not that I feel these games aren't valid, but I only wanted to compare new full price console releases from this generation since I felt they would be the most equivalent in terms of how they were rated.

Capcom full price retail console games Metacritic scores based on the version with the most ratings:

Street Fighter IV - 93
Zack & Wiki - 87
DmC - 86 (as of 33 reviews)
Dead Rising - 85
Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - 85
Devil May Cry 4 - 84
Monster Hunter Tri - 84
Resident Evil 5 - 83
Dead Rising 2 - 79
Lost Planet 1 - 79
We Love Golf! - 75
Dragon's Dogma - 75
MotoGP 10/11 - 72
Asura's Wrath - 71
Bionic Commando - 70
MotoGP 09/10 - 69
MotoGP 08 - 68
Lost Planet 2 - 68
Resident Evil 6 - 67
Spy Borgs - 66
Sengoku Basara - 61
Dead Rising Wii - 61
Harvey Birdman - 60
Dark Void - 59

Yeah.... from a numerical review standpoint I would say that this reboot was successful.

Duffyside

Banned
Impressed with these scores. Thought they would start to fall off today. Ninja Theory seem like a bunch of butts, but they do make some good games (I loved Enslaved).

Just need to know what Kamiya thinks (I'm sure he's playing it right now
never
).

sleepykyo

WOW @ SFxT at 84.

Hey. It is arguably the best non-competitive fighter after UMvC3. Maybe even ahead of UMvC3 since casual players love that teams of 2 action online.

Street Fighter IV - 93
Zack & Wiki - 87
DmC - 86 (as of 33 reviews)
Dead Rising - 85
Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - 85
Devil May Cry 4 - 84
Monster Hunter Tri - 84
Resident Evil 5 - 83
Dead Rising 2 - 79
Lost Planet 1 - 79
We Love Golf! - 75
Dragon's Dogma - 75
MotoGP 10/11 - 72
Asura's Wrath - 71
Bionic Commando - 70
MotoGP 09/10 - 69
MotoGP 08 - 68
Lost Planet 2 - 68
Resident Evil 6 - 67
Spy Borgs - 66
Sengoku Basara - 61
Dead Rising Wii - 61
Harvey Birdman - 60
Dark Void - 59

How does this compare to a traditional, big western publisher? Seems like only THQ would have a comparably awful record.

Impressed with these scores. Thought they would start to fall off today. Ninja Theory seem like a bunch of butts, but they do make some good games (I loved Enslaved).

never
).

No time to be playing video games when you've got an insurmountable wave of trolls to hurl cuss words at on Twitter.

MYE

Just saw a couple of reviews and HOLY SHIT this looks good.

Will buy for sure. Old Dante will not be missed

Curufinwe

never
).

Sessler's 3/5 for Revision3 is the only low score I know of, but I don't think their scores are on MetaCritic.

Since I had to check the video to make sure that was the score, I'll post the bullet points.

+ Fast dynamic combat
+ More Accesible than previous DMCs

- Story is insipid
- Writing is embarrassing
- Later levels are lacking

Curufinwe

This Giantbomb review is causing quite the stir (not just here).

It sure is.

2413880-giantbomb_super.jpg

Top Bottom