• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Review Thread (Release Date - 1/15/13) Embargo is over!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
HAHA. Agreed. Someone should literally go into an old DmC thread, find all the negative posters, and quote them here.

I knew this game was going to be a hit once I saw the amazing character design of THE REAL Dante.

Eh, I just don't think anyone's that surprised that the game is reviewing well. In fact, I expected it to review better than it has. I made a bet with someone that it would get above a 90 on Metacritic. We'll see how it plays out. Doesn't change my opinion on the game.

Carbonox

so the consensus seems to be around 8.5... outsourcing succeeded?

I'd say so for this game as an individual product. It's a good game. I wouldn't mind seeing DmC2 but I will always be in the camp that would prefer a continuation of the original series. I'm so used to the original OP demi-God Dante that I'm not quite ready to never see him return. :lol

Minyobi

According to some previews yeah it's quite difficult if you don't learn the mechanics quickly.

Just going by the demo, if you play it like Devil May Cry featuring Raiden, you will eat rockets and the gekkos will treat you like the first goomba in Super Mario Brothers.

After seeing some of the newer videos, that looks to have not changed.
Hell, the demo looks like it is in slow motion compared to those videos.

for a dev that got their big start on PS3 (Heavenly Sword) it still amazes me that all their multiplatform efforts since have had more noticeable tech problems on PS3

Is it really that surprising given what we know of Sony Cambridge's involvement with Heavenly Sword? Its sales weren't the only reason why Sony ditched them straight away.

Curufinwe

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up having the same Metacritic scores. I can see MGR's difficulty putting off many reviewers to a degree.

I'm confused why some people think MGRR won't average mid-low 80s.

Eh, I just don't think anyone's that surprised that the game is reviewing well. In fact, I expected it to review better than it has. I made a bet with someone that it would get above a 90 on Metacritic. We'll see how it plays out.

It's not going to get 90 or higher now.

graywolf323

Eh, I just don't think anyone's that surprised that the game is reviewing well. In fact, I expected it to review better than it has. I made a bet with someone that it would get above a 90 on Metacritic. We'll see how it plays out. Doesn't change my opinion on the game.

yeah the gaming journos always seemed to like what they had seen

Is it really that surprising given what we know of Sony Cambridge's involvement with Heavenly Sword? Its sales weren't the only reason why Sony ditched them straight away.

true enough, it does seem like no publisher has dealt with Ninja Theory for more than one game yet

Very solid on 360. There are very infrequent frame drops even if it's at 30FPS.
Great to hear a Ninja Theory game that has good performance. Thanks. I just may pick this up down the line - never been much of a DMC fan, but the Limbo environmental shifting sounds interesting.

Dahbomb

How does it compare to DMC4? Like most here I love DMC1 and DMC3, but DMC4 left ashes in my mouth. If it isn't a significant step up on DMC4, I'll pass. The review average seems to be the same.
Way better level design but inferior combat. That's why the average is about the same as DMC4.

mollipen

Going by reviews, this reboot is exactly what the series needed... Yikes.

My feelings, they are hurt. IGN?

I'm not the person who wrote the EGM review, but I'm not sure that you should look at it that way.

I don't think it's people saying "Devil May Cry was broke, let's fix it"—I think it's a case of "if you're going to reboot and go in a new direction for the series, make sure doing so wasn't a mistake, and DmC doesn't feel like a mistake".

After seeing the game at E3 and here and there otherwise, I'll be honest and say that I wasn't really excited for DmC. Playing the game (and beating it) changed that for me. I had a heck of a lot of fun with DmC, and I'm not legitimately interested to see where the new series goes from here.

At the same time, though, I totally acknowledge that some long-time DMC fans probably won't be happy.

Something I noticed these days... what's with devs pimping the fuck out of the stories of their games?

It's not like the quality of the story has really gotten much better these days. Still mostly shit.

Just finished playing the demo.

Things I Like
- combat (once i got a hang of it)
- the look of the game
- unlocking the other difficulties changes up the type of enemies you encounter

Things I don't like
- voice acting/writing

Overall Impression
- I'm an of Ninja Theory's past games so I might pick this up when it's on sale

Teknoman

I'm surprised Ryan C. thinks that Dante is a much better character in Dmc. I admit that i'm warming up to the environments and the new universe in general, but unless something happens further into the actual game, the demo doesnt make me feel like he's a much better character now.

Design isnt bad, but personality went backwards.

Zaventem

For those that have played the game the eurogamer review said the bosses were disappointing, how much truth is there to this.Unless the other areas are outdoing the boss encounters it's giving me heartaches.

Carbonox

For those that have played the game the eurogamer review said the bosses were disappointing, how much truth is there to this.Unless the other areas are outdoing the boss encounters it's giving me heartaches.

First boss is pretty fun and more standard fare. Second boss is the one you fight in the demo. Parrying makes it stupidly easy. I just beat the third boss which I found to have great presentation but was otherwise a gimmicky fight.

Zaventem

Tom Chick is going to have a super positive review because he knows it will get hits.

I think it'll get a 3/5 60 metascore for his review.I dunno 17 more chapters sounds like he thinks it dragged on to long..or maybe he meant 17 more chapters in a positive way?

Ein Bear

I can't tell if that "Then you realize there are still 17 chapters to go." comment is supposed to be positive or negative.

mollipen

I can't tell if that "Then you realize there are still 17 chapters to go." comment is supposed to be positive or negative.

When I was playing through the game, I was looking at some of the trophies, and was like, "OMG, I still have so much game to get through." But, at least for me, the flow of the game help up all of the way through, and it never really felt like I was playing past the point that I wanted it to stop.

So, I did at first think length was going to be a negative, but it ended up not being.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Brad gave it a 5/5 on Giant Bomb.

Wasn't really impressed by the demo beyond the visual style, but I might have to check it out after listening to the upcoming Bomb Cast. Hopefully they go into detail about it.

TheExodu5

Banned
I just saw that Adam Sessler review and it's god damn on point.

He even brings up the stance change lag issue in the game which I haven't really seen anyone else point out. And he makes an issue with the weapon restricting enemies as well.

ugh...why NT?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Brad gave it a 5/5 on Giant Bomb.

Wasn't really impressed by the demo beyond the visual style, but I might have to check it out after listening to the upcoming Bomb Cast. Hopefully they go into detail about it.

I brought no personal baggage to Ninja Theory's take on Devil May Cry, having played and enjoyed the original game way back when but then steering clear of the series after its poorly received second entry.
well there you go

vg260

Something I noticed these days... what's with devs pimping the fuck out of the stories of their games?

It's not like the quality of the story has really gotten much better these days. Still mostly shit.

Yeah, video game stories are rarely good stories in certain genres. I found it silly how people were complaining about how silly RE6's story was.

wow at the 5/5

The reviewer really liked Enslaved (4/5), so take from that what you will. Maybe your thoughts on Ninja Theory's other games and their design style will reflect how much you like DmC.

But a lot of the fans are saying it's a good game maybe not the best DMC game but a really solid game.

I've heard the combat isn't as good as the older games (which I agree with based on the demo) and the story is a total disaster, but, certainly, it wasn't complete trash like I expected it to be based on Ninja Theory's past work. Good for them.

Teknoman

lol wow I thought the OT was joking about that squirrel semen bit.

EDIT: DmC does look like a solid action game, and the environments seem pretty damn imaginative, its just that boss designs and cheesy class dialog seem to fall short compared to past games in the series/universe.

Also seems like they tried a little too hard to get a gross out factor going, just because the game involves demons.

Top Bottom