• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DMC4 Media Blowout + Famitsu Scans + New Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAK

The DMC army gloating about how awesome their game is compared to another Sony published action game..... where have I seen this before?

USD

AAK said:
The DMC army gloating about how awesome their game is compared to another Sony published action game..... where have I seen this before?
Hopefully not in this thread, it already needs a lot less HS and a lot more DMC4.

Defuser

I can't believe ppl is comparing DMC with HS. For crying out loud,just because HS looks cinematic better doesn't mean it beats DMC in terms of Gameplay.

DMC have more Weapons,combos,cancelling,frames,difficulty than HS will ever be. What makes you think Ninja Theory can beat Capcom who is already experience in the genre?
At least capcom doesn't use QTE for their DMC.

Umino

Because certain people need something to talk about.
Wow you sony guys have all the "extreme action" games or whatever. In a few months you can play every extreme action game on your console. Pretty cool.

Laramie said:
Wow you sony guys have all the "extreme action" games or whatever. In a few months you can play every extreme action game on your console. Pretty cool.
Except for those people who thinks that Ninja Gaiden 2 somehow outweighs Heavenly Sword, God of War 1, 2, and 3, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, the entire Devil May Cry series, and God Hand, this is entirely true, and I love it.

Dali

badcrumble said:
Except for those people who thinks that Ninja Gaiden 2 somehow outweighs Heavenly Sword, God of War 1, 2, and 3, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, the entire Devil May Cry series, and God Hand, this is entirely true, and I love it.

...and Mark of Kri.:D

Decado

I'd love to see another Mark of Kri title (I know, completely wishful thinking)...as long as they go back to the original idea. Sequel sucked.

You could also through in the Onimusha series.

I would be a very happy camper if NG2 was made for or ported to the PS3. It is the only "system seller" I'm aware of that may be released as a 360 exclusive.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
badcrumble said:
You're talking as if Capcom won't make a new Onimusha game...

:(

badcrumble said:
If it's a lot like Dawn of Dreams then it doesn't count as a new Onimusha game. I'd love one too, brother.

Wait, what was wrong with Dawn of Dreams? I thought it was alot better then giving Jean Reno a bunch of whip things and sending him to the past to fight monsters.

ParticleReality said:
Wait, what was wrong with Dawn of Dreams? I thought it was alot better then giving Jean Reno a bunch of whip things and sending him to the past to fight monsters.
3 had an utterly stupid plot compared to the first two, it's true, but it was the first game to truly polish and perfect the Onimusha gameplay (though some may argue that losing the up-down-square moves and the more varied charge attacks from Oni 2 take away some of its depth). Onimusha 4 had a dumb main character and added too many RPG elements, and the NA version especially was worse than the regular games because it cranked up the HP of bosses a ton, making them no more difficult but significantly more tedious. Dawn of Dreams isn't a terrible game by any means, I loved new game plus and the party switching puzzles, but it's a step away from the amazing polish of Onimusha 3.

Dali

Decado said:
I'd love to see another Mark of Kri title (I know, completely wishful thinking)...as long as they go back to the original idea. Sequel sucked.

I didn't play the sequel but the original had an excellent original combat system and just the right amount of stealth. I also liked the Bluth-like art style.

I would be a very happy camper if NG2 was made for or ported to the PS3. It is the only "system seller" I'm aware of that may be released as a 360 exclusive.

ruh roh.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
badcrumble said:
3 had an utterly stupid plot compared to the first two, it's true, but it was the first game to truly polish and perfect the Onimusha gameplay (though some may argue that losing the up-down-square moves and the more varied charge attacks from Oni 2 take away some of its depth). Onimusha 4 had a dumb main character and added too many RPG elements, and the NA version especially was worse than the regular games because it cranked up the HP of bosses a ton, making them no more difficult but significantly more tedious. Dawn of Dreams isn't a terrible game by any means, I loved new game plus and the party switching puzzles, but it's a step away from the amazing polish of Onimusha 3.

You forgot to mention, Bishamon >>>>>>>>>>> Gokumonji

Seiken said:
You forgot to mention, Bishamon >>>>>>>>>>> Gokumonji
Absolutely, but the Rekka-Ken is ten million times cooler than either one of those.

One particular Onimusha 3 thing I would've loved to see in the other games is the way it handles the bow and arrow (R1+X instead of having to equip it separately). Finally makes it worth using. If Onimusha 2 had had the bow/gun controlled in that fashion, and if it got rid of that godawful item trading minigame, it'd be the best Onimusha bar none.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Onimusha 1 was SO AWESOME. Except for the water puzzle. I bet the CG intro is still beautiful.

Yoshichan

Edit: Nevermind :mad:

ParticleReality said:

The best Onimusha is the first one, hands down.

It was a nice equal mix of Resident Evil (a lot of good atmosphere) with solid action.

The sequals became more actiony, yet they never went all out. It's like they didn't know what type of game they wanted to make -- so they lost the atmosphere and pacing Onimusha 1 had, yet never really became as action intensified as DMC. It got lost in the middle.

X26 said:
I agree, integrate a dating mini-game

Seriously, an action game is meant to be an action game. If they want to mix it up? Mix it up with different weapons and enemies and combat strategies. DMC [4] isn't meant to be an adventure game.

EDIT: Dahbomb, check your message box.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I'm really starting to question whether some of you have played any of the previous DMC franchises and know what they are about.

Comparing DMC to Heavenly Sword is ridiculous.

One is meant to express a way of story-telling through deep emotion, drama, quality motion-capture acting, voice acting, and a serious backbone for a story. The other is trying to be all out fun "look at me I am sliding on-top of a bad guy while shooting and slicing everything in ****ing sight across my living room floor" anime style of action.

To even compare the two styles nonsensical.

Yama

Anyone else trying to go to Comic-Con to play the demo? I wonder which build they'll have and for what platform. Hopefully PS3, seems most likely. Yeah, that's where I want to play it. Call me what you'd like...

Yama said:
Anyone else trying to go to Comic-Con to play the demo? I wonder which build they'll have and for what platform. Hopefully PS3, seems most likely. Yeah, that's where I want to play it. Call me what you'd like...

It's likely the Gamer's Day Build, like they had at E3.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I dunno if this already been posted, but i just asked a friend to translate the diary a bit, and it seems that the new characters are playing a supportive cast, to nero.

one is a knight captain
one is a scientist
and a mystery lady

i wonder if dante then will get
Trish
Lady
Lucia

:p

I'd much rather get Trish, Lady, and Vergil, because I prefer awesome characters and continuity, thank you very much. Also pretending DMC2 never happened.

It'll be pretty weird if these people turn out to be bosses, since they're not really demons, but they don't look like good guys. I like having a large cast, but I echo what other people have said, that these characters give the game a troubling resemblance to Ninja Gaiden.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i think theyll transform into some hideous form at certain points in the game, i dont think DMC will let you fight against "normal" guys *looks at berial*

And yes i agree, vergil would be cooler, but vergil hates dante etc. and hes nero angelo now, so i dunno how theyll work him in the story :O

Where did you get the idea that Vergil hates Dante? Vergil loves Dante as a brother, I think, but is amoral in the sense that he values the pursuit of power above all things and simply doesn't see the negative consequences of that. When he does something good or something evil it's only because he's trying to become more powerful. And he certainly has some brotherly affection for Dante, though he won't let that stand in the way of his own goals.

Nelo Angelo (probably meant to be Nero Angelo) is dead, so who knows if Vergil is trapped in the demon world, resurrected, or just plain nonexistent. Part of the appeal of DMC4 is that people are hoping that we might find out what happened to Vergil.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I guess you are right, its been a while since i played, i remember now that he first ASKED for the memento of their mother instead of trying to kill him right away :lol

karasu

reilo said:
I'm really starting to question whether some of you have played any of the previous DMC franchises and know what they are about.

Comparing DMC to Heavenly Sword is ridiculous.

One is meant to express a way of story-telling through deep emotion, drama, quality motion-capture acting, voice acting, and a serious backbone for a story. The other is trying to be all out fun "look at me I am sliding on-top of a bad guy while shooting and slicing everything in ****ing sight across my living room floor" anime style of action.

To even compare the two styles nonsensical.

heavenly Sword has that same move I believe. It's trying to be every bit as stylish. And come on let's not be fooled. The emotions aren't going to be that deep.

dralla

57186200707201239482bigws9.jpg

snapshot20070722103456jl5.jpg

Dahbomb

What... you guys think that those character designs suck? Did you guys even play DMC3 and experience this cat?

Jester.gif

Mind you, even though the design is totally not in sync with the DMC universe, this was one of the best characters in all of the DMC universe. The VA really did a phenomenal job in bringing the Jester to life. His boss fights in DMC3SE are entertaining as well.

And C-Warrior I have posted all the images from Jeuxfrance on the first page.

I don't know about others here, but aside from Kazuma Kaneko's contrabution, and Lady, I didn't like the designs in DMC3 all that much....especially Dante

...I really dig DMC4 designs thus far, more so that 3...which I'm playin through again for shits and giggles....

Imm0rt4l

C- Warrior said:
In case you lack the ability to connect A to B, there is probably a reason to their similar appearances. Just a thought you know, not too difficult to now is it?

you say that as if its fact, nero and dante are supposed to be totally unrelated, so the guy had a valid question.

Dahbomb

AgentOtaku said:
I don't know about others here, but aside from Kazuma Kaneko's contrabution, and Lady, I didn't like the designs in DMC3 all that much....especially Dante
What...? Kazuma Kaneko's designs were ****ing TERRIBLE in DMC3. Lady's character design was acceptable at best, I mean it really is just a school girl outfit tricked out with heavy arms.

Again, just to show how ****ing terrible Kazuma's designs were in DMC3.

Dante_DT_5.gif

Dante_DT_2.gif

Vergil_DT.jpg

I do however agree with Dante's design, Capcom completely fell off target on that one. Luckily DMC4 Dante seems to be the best one yet, both in appearance and in attitude.

Dahbomb

AgentOtaku said:
well....maybe Kaneko's art is a preference....ever think of that friend?
Well even if it is a preference, you can't deny that it totally clashes the style of DMC in general. It doesn't even match the normal demon designs.

DMC1 DT designs in comparison:

DT_Alastor.jpg

DT_Ifrit.jpg

Sparda_DT.jpg

Tiduz

Eurogaime
oh god, the horrid CT CLOWN TRIGGER designs, please please please do not let them be in DMC4, give me back my alastor and ifrit.

ps: is DT confirmed to be in? i hope to god it isnt being replaced with the devil bringer.
i want my DT.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
DMC3 DT's were atrocious. "/ I hope to god that we get some decent looking DT's this game. The ones from DMC, and to some extent DMC2, looked way better than the ones in DMC3.

RyuHayate

It'd be great if we just see flashes of Dante's demonic form rather than seeing it constantly in DMC4 (like in DMC1, where there was just an aura around him unless he was performing a melee attack). It's much more exciting that way, IMO.

Dahbomb said:
Well even if it is a preference, you can't deny that it totally clashes the style of DMC in general.

what style is that?

...the style is whatever the producers, directors, art design department, etc....want it to be (hence the current look of DMC4)

and I won't say that it clashes....cause if anything, the series hasn't really had a consistant design yet...

DMC: traditional gothic
DMC2: Modern....and...whatever (my preferred Dante look though)
DMC3: semi gothic, abstract, semi modern (bad jpop dante design), Kaneko, misc

DantesWrath said:
DMC2's DTs actually looked the best out of them all.

I prefer DMC2's human Dante to all of them as well. I haven't been impressed with any of the devil trigger designs so far, but DMC3's was the worste.

dante.jpg

art01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom