• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DMC4 Media Blowout + Famitsu Scans + New Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking good... and if they are indeed holding the PS3 version back because of a incomplete 360 version then thats bullshit... especially considering most of the loyal DMC fans own PS3's

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Karma Kramer said:
Looking good... and if they are indeed holding the PS3 version back because of a incomplete 360 version then thats bullshit... especially considering most of the loyal DMC fans own PS3's

I agree.

Wait, I agree with Kramer?

:(

nubbe

TTP said:
5718620070720_174637_24_big.jpg

winner
Perfect

Dead Rising has been bested

Dali

sp0rsk said:
Death to the official thread.

That's what happens when someone starts an official thread months before a game is released. No one wants to shift through all the shit for updates, and the creators rarely put the updates in the OP.

J2 Cool said:
What is old-gen gameplay?

The artificial barriers and cookie-cutter non-boss bad guys.

Dali said:
That's what happens when someone starts an official thread months before a game is released. No one wants to shift through all the shit for updates, and the creators rarely put the updates in the OP.

The artificial barriers and cookie-cutter non-boss bad guys.

Any action game that takes itself seriously (two that come to mind, DMC, Ninja Gaiden) are infested with barriers because they have to streamline you to the next fight. And no, cutscenes with QTE's left and right isn't my definition of free-roaming.

The game is designed with the an arcade approach that gives you both exploration with a sense of exploration given certain parameters.... what -- did you want Dante/Nero to free roam around and talk to NPC's and get side-quest missions or some shit? :lol GTA mutha****a!

reilo

C- Warrior said:
Any action game that takes itself seriously (two that come to mind, DMC, Ninja Gaiden) are infested with barriers because they have to streamline you to the next fight. And no, cutscenes with QTE's left and right isn't my definition of free-roaming.

The game is designed with the an arcade approach that gives you both exploration with a sense of exploration given certain parameters.... what -- did you want Dante/Nero to free roam around and talk to NPC's and get side-quest missions or some shit? :lol GTA mutha****a!

DMC5 to be an RPG CONFIRMED.

Nomura to do the character designs. +2 belts.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
J2 Cool said:
What is old-gen gameplay? DMC3 played as well as any action game out there last gen? So what does it have to do to be "new gen gameplay" when nothing has really leapfrogged it since?

Less linear action for one. Instead of fighting a bunch of random monsters from point A to B then a boss you could fight a boss with its minions at the same time through a whole stage as you both advance through it. Could be fighting through multiple floors of a building, starting from the top and smashing your way down floor by floor every time. Could be a lot of stuff, a lot of stuff that is obviously more difficult to do than just take the same old mechanics and update the graphics as much as any next-gen needs an update.

But my biggest issue is the static environments, the animations, and boring camera. But yeah flame me and tell me that Belial's stage is not static, that the animations are "better", and that more dynamic camera would "affect the gameplay":p

People would have said the same about RE4 before seeing it. Just look at the original RE4 videos to see how "old" it felt until they decided to scrap everything and revolutionize it.

I love how people, in EVERY THREAD, have to guess what console the screens are for.

The development started for PS3, so they're most likely for the PS3. But does that matter? No, as both versions will end up looking the same (especially considering the engine started on the 360 with Dead Rising).

Looks fantastic, regardless- I can't wait.

Karma Kramer said:
Yup, that argument is absurd. The engine was created for the 360 in Dead Rising. Plus, Capcom most likely wouldn't have even bothered with a 360 version if it meant inevitable delays for the PS3 version.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
UncleGuito said:
I love how people, in EVERY THREAD, have to guess what console the screens are for.

Exactly, im stunned that people think the ps3 version is going to look worse, havent we seen at E3 that the ps3 can EASILY achieve this? As well as the 360? you could almost say when someone asks what the screens are from: Both

Crow-kun

Banned
UncleGuito said:
Yup, that argument is absurd. The engine was created for the 360 in Dead Rising. Plus, Capcom most likely wouldn't have even bothered with a 360 version if it meant inevitable delays for the PS3 version.
HAHAHAHA!!! You aren't serious are you? :lol

Crow-kun said:
HAHAHAHA!!! You aren't serious are you? :lol
It isn't that complicated. I'm sure if the 360 version goes gold that far after the PS3 version, they would have announced separate release dates or a timed exclusive at least.

Hey guys, do you think Dante will eat some Strawberry Sundaes to regain HP or maybe have a Special style unlocked where his 11 year old female sidekick pops out and fills the moody game with rainbows and pretty things?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
ParticleReality said:
Hey guys, do you think Dante will eat some Strawberry Sundaes to regain HP or maybe have a Special style unlocked where his 11 year old female sidekick pops out and fills the moody game with rainbows and pretty things?

GameFAQS riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/

Avalon

Game looks great... something that irks me a bit though, why do all these screen shots depict Nero and Dante as equals? That's pretty lame. Dante a tried and tested warrior and some random punk kid can just rise up to his level just because?

EDIT: I hope the story behind that isn't too absurd.

UncleGuito said:
It isn't that complicated. I'm sure if the 360 version goes gold that far after the PS3 version, they would have announced separate release dates or a timed exclusive at least.

Except that would double their marketing budget.

Ether_Snake said:
Less linear action for one. Instead of fighting a bunch of random monsters from point A to B then a boss you could fight a boss with its minions at the same time through a whole stage as you both advance through it. Could be fighting through multiple

Actually, if you notice in the newest famitsu scans, the intro scene battle between Dante and Nero takes place throughout the entire church, with seamless transitions between various portions of the battles and cutscenes. Bottom-line, it isn't safe to assume a small 10 minute portion of the game is representative of the entire product. Moreoever, it's probably best not to include more complicated portions of the game to a public short-timed event demo.

I will agree and say I wish the environment was a bit more destructable, like it was in Dead Rising. Although DMC4 is Capcom's first 60 fps game on next-gen consoles, we really don't know what limitations that imposes on the developers.

Ultimately, camera shakes, QTE's, and senseless 'flash' that you wish DMC4 had is not-needed. Granted, the bare-bones demo with a new-game Nero that you've been seeing demo footage of (with players who apparently don't know what the **** their doing) may make the game seem relatively simple, but anyone who knows DMC (especially DMC3) that more sooner than later, you'll have more than enough flash, weapons, combos, cancels, styles, special attacks. In fact, some would say too much.

I don't think DMC needs any artificial flash, when the combo system probably exceeds what most people can handle anyways : observe:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3T_RdUPNg6k

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Wow, that tag of yours is so fitting:p

And I didn't mention ANY QTEs. That's what others assumed when I said the game felt like ol-dgen gameplay-wise. Nor did I ask for camera shake or senseless flash. Anyway I won,t bother explaining what I think it needs because unless you would see the game as such there would always be arguments to say it is not needed.

But the DMC4 I have seen so far is the equivalent of what RE4 version 1 was in comparison to the released RE4.

EDIT: And that video confirms what I want. When he throws the dude in the air to then proceed to jump and slash him continuously the camera should swoop over him, closer to the character, looking downward. When he throws someone up in the air to shoot at him continuously from below it should swoop below him and look upward, giving a nice and more action-oriented camera effect. Stuff like that. And that's just for the camera system.

Ether_Snake said:
EDIT: And that video confirms what I want. When he throws the dude in the air to then proceed to jump and slash him continuously the camera should swoop over him, closer to the character, looking downward. When he throws someone up in the air to shoot at him continuously from below it should swoop below him and look upward, giving a nice and more action-oriented camera effect. Stuff like that. And that's just for the camera system.
Actually, considering the way DMC is play that would actually make the game extremely frustrating, since it would impare your vision and thus your ability to stratergize attacks and so forth. Not that I don't hear you loud and clear on your points... I just disagree on the implementation, but it's an example so big whup. That said don't bother, it's not like Capcom will listen and most of the fans on the board are already mostly beyond listening, so just pray it turns out as good as you hope, and keep your mouth shut... ... must remember to take my own advice...

Dali

C- Warrior said:

I never suggesting free-roaming, certainly not anything of a GTA magnitude, but the way DMC is done is stale as hell. You walk into a room and before you can progress a 'door demon' stops you from going on. That is a very transparent way of controlling player movement and I think with just a little bit of effort it could be handled better.

isochronus said:
Heavenly Sword face model is heavily blocky compared to DMC4.

Dude....no, just no. DMC4 has improved somewhat, true, but it is still light years away from looking as good as Heavenly Sword, and that includes Nariko's character model compared to anything in Capcom´s game. Not only that but the lightning, skin and many, many little details also makes the DMC4 look crappy compared to HS's chick.

Also, some of you talk about DMC and NG as if they were f*cking street fighter or whatever. To be frank, I would welcome a twist to the somewhat stale formula. There's nothing wrong with a bit of "flash", just as there's nothing wrong with some sort of new element that differentiates DMC4 from the previous iterations. And no, I'm not just talking about an extra move for combat, something else entirely new would be welcome.

Some real, ICO-style environment puzzles would be great, as would a few QTE's (they are most certainly not the devil's work). I wouldn't be against some sort of weapon customization, or maybe make certain enemies more susceptible to some weapons than others, whatever to make those fights against the legion of lesser minions more entertaining.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Logan Cano said:
Dude....no, just no. DMC4 has improved somewhat, true, but it is still light years away from looking as good as Heavenly Sword, and that includes Nariko's character model compared to anything in Capcom´s game. Not only that but the lightning, skin and many, many little details also makes the DMC4 look crappy compared to HS's chick.
I don't think the in game character model will be that detailed. This is probably closer to what you will see while playing the demo:

03.jpg

Not that the character models are that important. The HS demo will be out next week, so people will be able to compare the gameplay to DMC3, at least.

I don't know why Capcom is delaying the release of the DMC4 demo but hopefully we will get our hands on it before the game is released.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
MickeyKnox said:
Ether, I like ya buddy but please, please, stick to the MGS threads.

No:p I think DMC4 is not evolving as much as it should considering a game on Gamecube was completely overhauled and it worked great. They can do better.

Narag

Logan Cano said:
I wouldn't be against some sort of weapon customization, or maybe make certain enemies more susceptible to some weapons than others, whatever to make those fights against the legion of lesser minions more entertaining.

I thought that was the norm.

Also, QTEs aren't the devil but they sure as hell break the flow of action in something like this. Not picking on anyone in particular in this thread, but the last time I read a discussion like this someone was demanding vehicles for Dante to cruise around in to break the same monotony that's always complained about.

Ether_Snake said:
No:p I think DMC4 is not evolving as much as it should considering a game on Gamecube was completely overhauled and it worked great. They can do better.

Which?

Ether_Snake said:

What game are you refering to?? MGS: TTS?? If so, then stop living, please. The only thing that travesty did was break the gameplay of the original.

j/k about the dying part. :p

Narag said:
I thought that was the norm.

Also, QTEs aren't the devil but they sure as hell break the flow of action in something like this. Not picking on anyone in particular in this thread, but the last time I read a discussion like this someone was demanding vehicles for Dante to cruise around in to break the same monotony that's always complained about.

What I meant by that is that maybe you can show more damage with determined guns than with others, or maybe make it so you can block certain attacks from different enemies when wielding different weapons, or make him move differently, jump higher or be faster depending on the weapon. QTE's can happen in segments between battles, not necessarily in the battles themselves.

That's just off the top of my head and better ideas can be found with a bit of work, but the point is that DMC is f*cking stale right now.

Ether_Snake said:
Dude, no disrespect but you have no clue wtf you're talking about. Forcing "evolution" on a game that doesn't need it yet is a terrible, terrible idea. It's almost like someone coming into a Metal Gear thread complaining that MGS games need to "evolve" into games without cutscenes or story and that instead of Snake we should play as a half naked chick with tits bigger than her head busting out of a tube top.

DMC is a very finely tuned machine that, not unlike a fighting game, needs to maintain certain elements and NEVER implement others or it will be ****ing garbage.

MickeyKnox said:
Dude, no disrespect but you have no clue wtf you're talking about. Forcing "evolution" on a game that doesn't need it yet is a terrible, terrible idea. It's almost like someone coming into a Metal Gear thread complaining that MGS games need to "evolve" into games without cutscenes or story and that instead of Snake we should play as a half naked chick with tits bigger than her head busting out of a tube top.

DMC is a very finely tuned machine that, not unlike a fighting game, needs to maintain certain elements and NEVER implement others or it will be ****ing garbage.

And isn't that why fighting games have become so irrelevant?? Reluctance to change made the entire genre seem like the same damn thing to everyone but the bitchy hardcore fanbase.

DMC's importance has been dwindling with each succesive game, and I doubt 4 is going to change that trend.

Logan Cano said:
rant and more ranting

For ****s sake no! QTE's? Those are ****in horrible. And I'm glad Capcom chose not to include QTE's in the boss fights, what they are doing is better. Using applicable moves at the right time to dish out 'cutscene-like' attacks.

And as far the character model, 60 fps doesn't come for free. I don't get GAF, would you want it, or not? You can't have your cake and eat it. Also -- Nariko's model isn't flawless, stop acting if it was. The hair is shit, there are some aliasing issues, and there are some square edges.

If you want to exaggerate on your end, I can certainly do the same.

reilo

Logan Cano said:
And isn't that why fighting games have become so irrelevant?? Reluctance to change made the entire genre seem like the same damn thing to everyone but the bitchy hardcore fanbase.

DMC's importance has been dwindling with each succesive game, and I doubt 4 is going to change that trend.

Right, because there was no evolution in the gameplay and fighting mechanics from DMC1 to DMC3 (DMC2 DOES NOT EXIST!).

Narag

Logan Cano said:

I could've swore it was due to the glut of inferior fighting games and decline of the local arcade that did in the genre more than anything but i could be way off here.

nero.gif

That is DMC4's replacement for stupid ass QTE's. Instead of having a big-ass button flash on the screen where you follow the commands like a bumbling idiot, why not use common sense and apply a maneuver you are already well aware of, in a situation at the appropiate time. It looks flashy, yet it doesn't break the pace of the battle.

I can't recall which developer that said this, but "putting a big flashing button on the screen for the player to press is lazy game design." And I happen to agree.

USD

Certain aspects of DMC (along with most other action games) feel archaic in design, but that's because it takes the "action first, everything else second" approach. It's that same approach that produces the best action games. They should try doing something a little better than the "door locked, need item, retrieve item, open door" approach though.

I just want them to keep turbo mode from DMC3:SE and make the regular enemies a tangible threat, like they were in the first game.

C- Warrior said:
I can't recall which developer that said this, but "putting a big flashing button on the screen for the player to press is lazy game design." And I happen to agree.
That was Itagaki, and I also agree.

C- Warrior said:
nero.gif

That is DMC4's replacement for stupid ass QTE's. Instead of having a big-ass button flash on the screen where you follow the commands like a bumbling idiot, why not use common sense and apply a maneuver you are already well aware of, in a situation at the appropiate time. It looks flashy, yet it doesn't break the pace of the battle.

Completely agree. If you want to give the user a cutscene give him a cutscene. If you want the player to control his character while doing something "cool" either figure out how to do it with your gameplay setup or don't do it at all.

**** QTE's and keep them the **** out of my skill based action games.

C- Warrior said:
For ****s sake no! QTE's? Those are ****in horrible. And I'm glad Capcom chose not to include QTE's in the boss fights, what they are doing is better. Using applicable moves at the right time to dish out 'cutscene-like' attacks.

And as far the character model, 60 fps doesn't come for free. I don't get GAF, would you want it, or not? You can't have your cake and eat it. Also -- Nariko's model isn't flawless, stop acting if it was. The hair is shit, there are some aliasing issues, and there are some square edges.

If you want to exaggerate on your end, I can certainly do the same.

And for ****s sake, let the goddamn QTE's go, that shit needs to end.

No, her model certainly isn't perfect, but the animation, appearance of her skin, movement and detail of her eyes is much, much better than DMC4's chick. That's all the post intended to say, not my fault you get all bitchy and fanatic about anything regarding DMC.

Also, if you had read my post at all, you would have seen that there could be QTE's included in segments between battles, not in the battles themselves. Duh.

DMC has been great, sure, but come on, it's the fourth iteration and that's where you need to add something new to change the formula to make it more entertaining or interesting. I think it was Ether that commented that maybe you could have a boss fight in several places, as the battle goes on. I think that's a really neat idea, and would help differentiate the new game.

Maybe add some filters when accomplishing certain moves while playing around with the camera might work to add a bit of more flavor to the somewhat dull looking standard attacks. Or maybe do something to deal with the small fry to make those battles more interesting. Also DON'T FIGHT THE ENTIRE TIME, offer some sort of alternate gameplay between big battles.

The point is, change the formula a bit Capcom!! This isn't a stinking fighting game, you can be much more flexible in what you add.

MickeyKnox said:
Completely agree. If you want to give the user a cutscene give him a cutscene. If you want the player to control his character while doing something "cool" either figure out how to do it with your gameplay setup or don't do it at all.

**** QTE's and keep them the **** out of my skill based action games.
God Hand had the flashing button ordeal too

Logan Cano said:
No, her model certainly isn't perfect, but the animation, appearance of her skin, movement and detail of her eyes is much, much better than DMC4's chick. That's all the post intended to say, not my fault you get all bitchy and fanatic about anything regarding DMC.

Also, if you had read my post at all, you would have seen that there could be QTE's included in segments between battles, not in the battles themselves. Duh.

DMC has been great, sure, but come on, it's the fourth iteration and that's where you need to add something new to change the formula to make it more entertaining or interesting. I think it was Ether that commented that maybe you could have a boss fight in several places, as the battle goes on. I think that's a really neat idea, and would help differentiate the new game.

Maybe add some filters when accomplishing certain moves while playing around with the camera might work to add a bit of more flavor to the somewhat dull looking standard attacks. Or maybe do something to deal with the small fry to make those battles more interesting. Also DON'T FIGHT THE ENTIRE TIME, offer some sort of alternate gameplay between big battles.

The point is, change the formula a bit Capcom!! This isn't a stinking fighting game, you can be much more flexible in what you add.
No it isn't and :lol

First of all, DMC is technically only on it's 3rd iteration and even then, there is a right proper change in the formula between 1&3 and the series is evolving at the right pace. People who have no clue what DMC games are about and just want a ****ing check list of bullshit fluff added to the game because it's "stale" or "more of the same" need to get a boot shoved so far up their ass that they'll be choking on the heel.

Date of Lies said:
God Hand had the flashing button ordeal too
:lol

MickeyKnox said:
No it isn't and :lol

First of all, DMC is technically only on it's 3rd iteration and even then, there is a right proper change in the formula between 1&3 and the series is evolving at the right pace. People who have no clue what DMC games are about and jsut want a ****ing check list of bullshit fluff added to the game because it's "stale" or "more of the same" need to get a boot shoved so far up their ass that they'll be choking on the heel.

Just because DMC2 sucks doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I have played and finished all of them, I just want something about DMC4 that make the game scream "I'M NEXT GEN!!", especially when all I've seen of it looks too close to DMC3.

I don't know why DMC's hardcore fans are so defensive, Nero's hand looks cool and all, and grabbing enemies is fine, but there needs to be something more. At least the graphics have improved quite a bit when compared to its shitty, shitty unveiling.

Logan Cano said:
No, her model certainly isn't perfect, but the animation, appearance of her skin, movement and detail of her eyes is much, much better than DMC4's chick.

You know, better skin textures sure, but animating? detail? movement? If anything, considering the cutscenes in DMC4 run at 60 fps, Kyrie would probably have better and smoother movement. And again, other than the skin texture (which is absolutely amazing...yes) I don't see where you can say one model is goldy, and the other model is shit.

The models both seem to have their pro's and cons:

03.jpg

screenshot_165630.jpg

5718620070720_174613_18_big.jpg

logan Cano said:
Also DON'T FIGHT THE ENTIRE TIME, offer some sort of alternate gameplay between big battles.

You mean like...puzzles? No thank you. I'd rather have the challenging boss fights where you learn patterns and find openings to be all the puzzles an -action- game needs. Talking to NPC's, finding keys or staffs or relics or milking cats or any of that bullshit can stay out. Oh, and pushing boxes to that list as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom