• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do we expect Splatoon to be the next major Nintendo I.P.?

Sendou

Well WiiU owners won't really have a choice since the new CoD and BF aren't coming out on WiiU.

There really can't be many people in the world that own Wii U, have age to play BF and CoD and don't own another platform to play those games (most likely/preferably a PC).

hatchx

Banned
I think it's important to define what 'success' really means for WiiU at this point. Rather than saying 'it'll be successful' or 'it'll bomb', I'd like to know specifically how people think it will sell.

In some respects, selling 500k is a success for WiiU, but as a highly-marketing AAA effort, that could be seen as a failure. Context is everything when it comes to WiiU.

sfried

Nintendo's pushing Splatoon more than both of those games combined.

By Wii U standards, it'll probably be a mid-tier success. Just enough to justify a sequel on the next console to where Nintendo can push Splatoon even harder.

I was going to mention Pikmin had a similar start too: It will "bomb" in a same sense that initial following won't be as big, but will gradually build up over time. Before you know it a sequel might be made on New3DS or something, and then usually at that point it becomes a pretty accepted IP franchise that it might just get casually mentioned with the like of Mario and Zelda.

Neoxon

Bookmark this thread duders, because I'm sure crow will be served for some.
Already done

I was going to mention Pikmin had a similar start too: It will "bomb" in a same sense that initial following won't be as big, but will gradually build up over time. Before you know it a sequel might be made on New3DS or something, and then usually at that point it becomes a pretty accepted IP franchise that it might just get casually mentioned with the like of Mario and Zelda.
Like I said before, it'd be a miracle if the n3DS ran Splatoon at 30fps with reduced graphics. If anything, Splatoon would get a sequel on the next console.

hatchx

Banned
I strongly believe that the way the multiplayer is designed in the game (no voice chat, random matchmaking, cannot play on line with friends or be with friends in the same team) will not make people to stick with the game for a long time…

In the financial side of the project, Splatoon will be profitable, as it didn’t cost much to produce anyway (small team), but I cannot predict how many copies will sell…

I don't believe any of the bolded is true...

Maybe it's a small team by Ubi Soft standards, but it's probably on part with most Nintendo EAD games. It's not NES Remix or Captain Toad or something.

Splatoon is getting way more promotion than W101 ever saw (;_;), even going as far as to give the game an Amiibo line. It's gonna outperform The Wonderful 101.
But there weren't Amiibos when the Wonderful 101 came out! It even had its own direct and everything!

Splatoon is getting way more promotion than W101 ever saw (;_;), even going as far as to give the game an Amiibo line. It's gonna outperform The Wonderful 101.
The only way it could sell less than the Wonderful 101 is if they only ship as many copies as that game sold and take it off the eshop.
My guess for the minimum it'll sell is 750k-1 million. (which is about DK and Pikmin's sales, right?)

It'll do fine. It's not gonna sell as well as a standard Nintendo IP but I don't think it will do as badly as W101 did either.

I think it'll do well enough to justify a sequel on their next console.

Neoxon

But there weren't Amiibos when the Wonderful 101 came out! It even had its own direct and everything!
Yes, TW101 got its own Direct & the occasional YouTube ad. What it didn't get was...
  • Massive Advertising in Stores
  • An Entire E3 Section Dedicated to It
  • An Entire Event in LA Dedicated to It
Hell, even Bayonetta 2 got a few TV ads in places like Toonami. While yes, I think W101 could have gotten Amiibos if the concept existed back then, the fact that Amiibos are a hit now & are being used by Splatoon will help the IP a lot in the long-term.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If it was released in 2009 on the Wii I think there would have been some notable potential.

As it stands I feel it will at best be an above average niche game for them a la something like Fire Emblem.

They needed to be launching IPs like this when they still owned the market if they really wanted to capitalize. At this point I'm not sure they'll ever have a notable home console again.

I think it's important to define what 'success' really means for WiiU at this point. Rather than saying 'it'll be successful' or 'it'll bomb', I'd like to know specifically how people think it will sell.

In some respects, selling 500k is a success for WiiU, but as a highly-marketing AAA effort, that could be seen as a failure. Context is everything when it comes to WiiU.

yeah this is true, maybe for some people bombing is W101 levels while for others it's less than a million (which is questionable, but hey)

so people should probably put down something less vague than "sucessful/bomb"

NotLiquid

Pretty much.

Back when this game was announced it could generally be considered a "low budget" title since it was mostly helmed by a smaller and younger team. You just have to go back then to it's reveal to see how little they could actually tell us about the game - they didn't even give a straight answer to whether it had a single player campaign, and that local multiplayer mode that they hinted at sounded way different than what it ended up being.

While it's grown since then, I don't think it's exactly spiraled into Zelda-esque production values, and the game was announced at a time when Wii U was already facing irrelevancy. Chances are it was mostly a small time game that they expected small time profits from, yet they ramped up in marketing due to all the positive feedback they were getting.

So in proportion to the Wii U then yeah, I think half a mill would definitely fall in the line of "success" for them, and it seems like a reasonable goal for them to meet. There's no magical barometer of success I think we can use here. Hopefully that'll be enough to secure a future beyond the U.

sfried

Like I said before, it'd be a miracle if the n3DS ran Splatoon at 30fps with reduced graphics. If anything, Splatoon would get a sequel on the next console.

I feel the team has already gotten ideas for a sequel, as in brainstorming new mechanics and such. During development, the team will likely incorporate feedback based on player userbase and comments.

It will be ahwile though, so you have a point it might pop out on their "NX" or whatever Nintendo's new system will be called. Just don't expect Splatoon to make Modern Warfare/Battlefield numbers because it clearly won't, but who knows. I don't consider it a "system seller" in the same vein as when Pikmin was first introduced, it was considered "that weird kiddy game", but it will have its cult following, which will cause it to pick up more steam in the future.

Tactica

Neo Member
I feel that Splatoon will be mostly praised by Wii U owners who have refused to get either of the competitors for two generations. For a Nintendo lover, a competetive and solid shooter has not yet devolved into a yearly franchise like CoD or BF.

For a Wii U gamer, who does not have all of the platforms, Splatoon is something fresh and new, and I'm sure it's an enjoyable game. For the core competetive shooter segment, who have either a PlayStation or an Xbox, Splatoon will fall through the cracks.

Let me underline that I own a Wii U and enjoy Nintendos first party games immensily, but for a competetive game regardless of genre, I would lean heavily to the other platforms.

Tal

I think it'll actually do pretty well, but a Wii U game can only do so well. Nintendo certainly seems to be putting their weight behind it.

Popnbake

Maybe about as well as wonderful 101

If Splatoon does W101 numbers, people really can't blame a lack of marketing for low Wii U game sales.

I was the under the impression it would bomb at first but after seeing some of the videos and growing fanbase, the game should at least do decently in regards to sales.

Just need to have a major tournament on Twitch.

It might get to 1 million eventually....I hope. Singleplayer reminded me a bit of ratchet and clank with the mix of platforming and shooting but of course the mechanics are very different.

It won't be major by any means but lets hope Nintendo decides to continue with the IP.

Neoxon

I'm seeing a lot of Pikmin & Xenoblade comparisons, which is about what I expect for Splatoon. However I'd expect it to be more on the Pikmin side, starting out as a cult hit & a modest success that picks up steam in the following console generation. Like I said before, a slow-burn.

It'll sell alright but it won't have a long term future in regards to competition because of the handling of online. Only 1v1 local multiplayer stings too.
They already had to cut the framerate in half for 2-player, forget 4-player.

Jay Sosa

Fair enough.

To clarify myself: It will bomb even considering the low install base of the U. More than the W101 (less is almost impossible; so that's not saying much) but nowhere near as close as to warrant calling it a major IP.

I'd say about 150k lifetime, if even that.

EDIT:

Just checked and you're both absolutely right (I don't care much for sales numbers tbh) ok then I will raise my prediction to 250k lifetime.

And yes; US only.

ShogunX

Honestly I'm not even sure there is a market for Splatoon. A lot of young kids these days are already playing Call of Duty and talking all kinds of random shit online. I think Mario Kart and Smash are still so popular because you cant find anything as good elsewhere and I don't see Splatoon being able to pull away the younger generation from the already established shooters.

I could of course be horribly wrong but the market just seems so volatile these days.

Fair enough.

To clarify myself: It will bomb even considering the low install base of the U. More than the W101 (less is almost impossible; so that's not saying much) but nowhere near as close as to warrant calling it a major IP.

I think 150k lifetime is less than the W101. And I think it's a pretty crazy prediction unless you mean in the US only or something

I'm seeing a lot of Pikmin & Xenoblade comparisons, which is about what I expect for Splatoon. However I'd expect it to be more on the Pikmin side, starting out as a cult hit & a modest success that picks up steam in the following console generation. Like I said before, a slow-burn.

They already had to cut the framerate in half for 2-player, forget 4-player.
I would guess the opposite actually. The game's multiplayer-based, so you're gonna see a lot of activity at the start which quickly drops off, which makes playing the game more difficult for those who want to try because the only people left are those who do nothing but play it all day. Then it's gonna be hard to recommend it to new players, so less will buy, making the problem worse.

Canucked

I think it'll do okay, and will be one of those "why didn't everyone buy this" games. But it's not going set the world on fire.

hatchx

Banned
Fair enough.

150k lifetime? No way it'll sell that low. Bayonetta 2 beat that in NA alone.

Astral Dog

If it was released in 2009 on the Wii I think there would have been some notable potential.

As it stands I feel it will at best be an above average niche game for them a la something like Fire Emblem.

They needed to be launching IPs like this when they still owned the market if they really wanted to capitalize. At this point I'm not sure they'll ever have a notable home console again.

Yeah, some games like Splatoon, Wonderful 101 would had the potential to become a somewhat successful, established brand if released on the original Wii, or even DS/3DS.

But, its what it is, the concept of these games may not even be possible on the Wii, (at least with W101, 100 superheroes controlled at once, Splatoon has the pointer so maybe),
The concepts for these games may had been developed with different expectations,on hardware sales, or simply became a different ip to offer to have more diversity on the lineup, whatever the case its good that this became its own series instead of a Mario spin off.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah unlike Codename: STEAM I expect it to sell well enough (even if not profitable) that they will at least try a sequel, probably on the next handheld.

NotLiquid

I would guess the opposite actually. The game's multiplayer-based, so you're gonna see a lot of activity at the start which quickly drops off, which makes playing the game more difficult for those who want to try because the only people left are those who do nothing but play it all day. Then it's gonna be hard to recommend it to new players, so less will buy, making the problem worse.

I'm still guessing that online playerbase won't be something too significant to worry about considering even Wii U CoD games have regular players that can sustain online play, and hell, even several Wii games that had online lasted all the way up until WFC closure in spite of some terrible online.

I think Splatoon will be dedicated enough to last until whenever they have a sequel.

I'm having a hard time imagining what they could do to utilize the series for each generation. It's a nice concept and it looks great, but I don't see it being the next big thing.

Top Bottom