• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you let your dog/cat sleep in your bed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leadbelly

Banned
I don't know how I would feel about it, but it is totally irrelevant because my dog has no interest in sleeping on my bed. He prefers to sleep at the end of my room by the door. He is kind of funny about people sleeping near him as well for some reason. If you pretend to sleep by him, he always licks your face to wake you up. lol

lexi

Banned
I trained my cat not to sleep on my bed.

nala.jpg

A pillow doesn't count as the bed.

clemenx

Banned
Sure, when she feels like it.

Luckily it's not everyday as I have an individual sized bed and she's a big ass Labrador :( I have to be in an awkward position to accommodate her, lol.

Philia

I had a scottish terrier, her transition to my bed took a while. First, she slept outside as a puppy but we found she ran away often. So we put her in the garage at night time and especially when it rained or gotten real cold.

Then we let her in the den as she got potty trained. Den is the tv area that has two exits, one leading to the backyard and other to the garage and it is adjacent to kitchen. (Its an old house...) Anyway, we'd have a baby gate to keep her from entering the kitchen for a year or two. By the time she was 5 or so, she had the run of the house but she's adjusted not to venture around unless I put her in my room or any other room specifically.

She had a doggy pillow in my room when she was maybe 6 or 7. Every now and then she'd come up to my bed when there's a nasty storm out. I'd feel her pawing the side of the bed and I can see her little her head looking all scared lmao. The thing is, the bed is set pretty high so she can't really jump up, hence her standing up and pawing the bed. So once I pick her up and put her on my bed, she'd fret a bit near me lol. Poor thing scared of thunder.

I miss her. ;____;

To answer OP's question, I don't mind as long as she doesn't shed a whole lot and at least she's okay on there especially AFTER bath time.

Grakl

Hell no. My dog even cries until I close the door on his crate.

Do you people let your dog control walks too?

You type as if people who let their dogs sleep with them aren't in control of their lives. It can't possibly be because it's a loving gesture, huh?

HylianTom

Banned
We let Jake sleep up in the bed. He'd usually sleep between us and put his head down in a position to where he can watch TV. If we turned the TV off, he's raise his head and huff at us until we turned the TV back on.

I have a great video of my partner eating his Lucky Charms in bed one morning. Jake, sleeping in bed, wakes-up to the sound of crunching, stands up, walks up to the bowl, and asks for the cereal. The cereal is handed-over immediately, and Jake would eat/drink until he was content.

Bottom line: what Jake wanted, Jake got.

If he wanted my steak, he got a majority chunk of it.
Up on the sofa? Yup.. I'll scoot over.
Wanted to come into the garage to deliberately inhale what I was smoking? Pant, pant, puff!

So sleeping on the bed was no big deal at all. He was quite well-groomed, so I had no qualms.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I've just been struggling to breathe for about 10 minutes. I can't even begin to explain why I found that so funny. My girlfriend of five and a half years just told me she's never heard me laugh so much in all the time I've known her.

Glad to help.. I was going insane too lol... Something just makes me lose it on this shit lol

Smidget

My 2 pugs love to sleep under the covers on our bed. It bothers me because they shed a lot, but they're always on the bed, the couch, whatever so it's not like it'll stop them shedding. They get up on the weekends the same time I wake them up during the week, but they'd complain from their crates anyways, so... either way I'll get bothered!

My little one:

and my big one:

OXkCt.jpg

Yup. My cat normally sleeps next to my feet. Her cat normally scoots up next to her and gets in her arms.

^Bondage stuffed animal?

I was supposed to be a cat burglar for Halloween, but my boyfriend couldn't find a stuffed cat toy for me to carry, so he instead bought... Simba. Oh, the comments/guesses I got that night about my costume...

My yorkie will sleep with me when my parents are out of town. He is a farting machine though ._.

What is it with Yorkies and gas? My mom has two and I swear they must eat beans all day. :/

and my big one:

OXkCt.jpg
I laughed so hard at this, man. You've no idea how bad this cracked me up. Anywho, my poodle is small enough to sleep on my bed without bothering me. We even have our own little routine. She'll see me put away my laptop and head for the light switch and she'll jump on the bed and lie down on her spot. It's pretty damn adorable.

Persona7

Banned
My cats rarely sleep on the bed but there is not an issue to me if they wish too. They are indoor cats , though.

They prefer the couch and windowsills.

We have 2 cats that sleep on the bed sometimes and we don't have any issues with it. They normally come and go throughout the night and lay near the foot of the bed, usually in the way, and I'll have to put my legs in some weird position to accommodate them. It's a little annoying but it's also cute that they want to sleep with us.

J-Rod

I had a Dachshund I would let sleep with me at night, but he usually would get tired of me shifting around and leave. He always slept completely under the covers, too.

J-Roderton

For all that let their dogs sleep in bed with you, I ask why? Because they're cuddly? They keep the bed warm? Just wondering. I let my dog sleep with me a few times and just end up waking up every couple hours pissed off because the bastard is rolling around all over the place and taking up space. And they're gross. They're dogs. They can't just go take a shower whenever they feel like it. I love my doggy, but no.

^That's the username I wanted when I signed up!

Derrick01

Banned
I don't mind but it's not like I invite my dog on to my bed at night. She kind of just gets up there if she feels like it and since I can sleep through a war in my backyard I don't notice until I wake up and see her staring at me from the other pillow.

I own a Dachshund and he doesn't take up any room at all. Before my girlfriend moved into my room, we both had our own sides of the bed. So he had a half a queen size bed to himself. Now he sleeps where ever my girlfriend isn't putting her knee or elbow at. I don't like her cat being on the bed, because I find cat liter all over, usually on my back, but the cat sleeps right next to my pillow on my side of the bed.

This is my old man.
iubTOgnWTA2um.JPG

Leeness

She usually sleeps elsewhere, but my kitty is always welcome to sleep on my bed.

I sleep on my stomach, and every once in a while, I'll wake up with her curled up on my butt. Haha.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
2nd6v.jpg

She was never allowed up on my parents bed, but she was always welcome to come sleep on my bed. It took a little training, but she knew she was allowed to sleep at the foot of my bed although she sometimes "forgot" if she thought she could get away with it.

Never once woke me up, but then I'll sleep through anything.

Both my dogs sleep in the bed.

The smaller girl (about 45lbs Border Collie) will sleep at my feet or between my legs, she actually growls at the bigger one if he trys to snuggle with me instead of her.

The big boy (70lb Aussie) will sleep at my wifes feet but usually not for long, he LOVES to sleep on the AC vents. Triple layer coat makes him get hot VERY quick so he has to spread out and not be cramped, or occupy a vent -_-
If Im sleeping in or taking a nap alone tho they both will sleep on each side of me with all the room, and the boy wont get down since he has room to spread out and keep him self "cool".

The girl tho is always up my ass, same with both of them sicne thier what you would call "velcro dogs" never letting me go to a room alone, go outside, the bathroom etc.. The girl tho will wake me every morning like clockwork at 8am licking my face, if I raise my hand or use the covers to block her she'll use her little paw to pull them away.

I dont think of them as dirty and smelly...their my kids :) I kiss them on the lips, let them lick my face, share food with them etc... Im not a germaphobe and Im a dog person, if I smell like dog, hair fur on me, etc.. oh well, Im a dog person through in through so it comes with the territory.
I bathe them about once a month (Aussies need regular upkeep with a triple coat plus they love to jump in water and mud) and have got them use to just coming in the shower. I throw on some boxer shorts and wash them that way. They are cool with hair dryers too and I often use the vacuum hose when I clean to vacuum them.

The Chef

^ dear god...

My wife and I will cave sometimes and let our Lab sleep on the bed. We then immediately regret it with how much he sheds. He mostly sleeps on his own bed in our bedroom.

big_z

i dont let my black lab sleep in my bed since he's too big, sheds a lot and is a bit too dog smelling. my little dogs i take into the shower every two weeks so they are quite clean and i have no problems with them in the bed. the only trouble is when they decide to fight or snore... and the rare puke.

i wash my bed sheets weekly as well unlike some people such as Norman Chan who enjoy living in their own sick.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I don't have a pet myself, but I'll occasionally have my mum's dog over. He's not allowed to sleep in the bed when he's at home, but I'll let him stay in my bed when he's here (he's a tibbie, so he doesn't occupy much space anyway).

Volimar

My dog is so nervous. One noise outside and she's all over the bed for the next 15 minutes, so I usually don't let her sleep with me.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
My dog at home will start on the bed, then go under the bed for a while, then get up on top in the middle of the night, then back under the bed, and then get on top...

He's kinda crazy, which is weird cause he's a hella smart dog, but has some really odd behaviors.

I was supposed to be a cat burglar for Halloween, but my boyfriend couldn't find a stuffed cat toy for me to carry, so he instead bought... Simba. Oh, the comments/guesses I got that night about my costume...

What is it with Yorkies and gas? My mom has two and I swear they must eat beans all day. :/

He is an overfed, spoiled little fella

561365_3946340573674_260587786_n.jpg

Just look at him, sitting like he's a person, waiting for belly rubs.

Fusebox

Banned
Yep, dog would sleep at the end of the bed on top of the covers, but the cat would always wriggle under the blanket, do a 180 and then fall asleep with her head out like a peoples.

My girlfiends chug sleeps between one of our legs. He takes up a lot of room for a little guy. My parents cats would sleep with me. I love sleeping with those big fur balls. They kept me warm. Now I want to go get a kitty :S. idk how it would do in a studio.

Nekofrog

Banned
Our Jindo, yes. Our Malamute? No.

Our Jindo, Kiba, is about 40 pounds and the most considerate dog on the planet. She doesn't hog the bed, she doesn't kick or make a fuss. She finds a spot that won't bother us and sticks to it. When she does cuddle, she does it without bothering my wife or I.

Aggro, our Malamute, is just WAY too big to let him on the bed. Plus he eats comforters, so he's crated in front of the bed so that he's still near us.

Mortimer, our shark, always sleeps with us.

And since I'm whoring my pets out, here's another.

And here's Kiba again, getting ready for bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom