• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Microsoft will ever win a generation in sales?

Bgamer90

Banned
4) In order for Microsoft to be #1, they need to beat both Sony and Nintendo. For some reason, Microsoft doesn't seem to 'get' that their concern should be the guy coming from the back (in this case, Nintendo) and not the guy in first place.

I see a decent number of people saying this here on these forums and I'll never understand it to be honest. People can go in depth on the (mostly true) issues that Microsoft has in the home console space but brush off Nintendo's larger issues and/or still feel that Nintendo has a great chance to make a major comeback even though the brand hasn't been known for online gaming or core third party support in many years -- two qualities that have GREATLY helped the sales of both the Xbox One and PS4.

Nintendo is going for a different type of console with the Switch just so they can stay relevant in the home console gaming space period. Xbox doesn't have that problem simply due to third party support alone. Xbox One is relevant in some territories; Wii U is relevant no where.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
The thing is, Sony has the hardware and the best studio's. Sure the Scorpio will be a faster console, but it will not have the strong software line-up Sony has with there world wide studios. The PlayStation brand is also way bigger and stronger then Xbox. Microsoft need to work on their own first party IP's, because a faster system won't help Microsoft becoming successful with the Scorpio.

I also don't see them matching the strong first party IP's Sony will release in the coming 2 years.

You're mistaken. The 360 outsold the PS3.

It was erroneously reported near the end of the generation that the PS3 had outsold the 360, but this was not correct.

It's always funny to me when people go "ah but the Xbox only sells the best in America," as if that matters.

America is a bigger market than the rest of the world combined. The 360 selling better in the US and UK alone is why it outsold the PS3.

Did you just post factual?

madmackem

Those specs, Scorpio has to be considered a new system
But it isn't it's in the Xbox one family, Xbox has no chance at being number one because the brand isn't anything outside of USA and uk so it would need to sell untold numbers to make it number one worldwide.

mejin

They are already talking about no generation. They have zero plans outside US and UK. Limited first party. Limited partnerships.

Without a complete overhaul it's impossible to do it with only their own efforts.

Joni

They stand no chance in Europe at the moment and they seem to do very little to change that. Sony has released games aimed at countries like Spain, there is even a Singstar game aimed at Flanders and the netherlands, a 22 million people market. That builds loyalty as it looks like they care more about your country.

Nintendo meanwhile has many evergreen franchises and only needs to find the right console strategy to score. So with those two in the market it will be very difficult for them.

That's not how generations work.

Did you just post factual?

Of course, DocSeuss is a big fan of the post-fact world.

I'm going to go with no. They might've had a chance if they'd continued to build on the start the 360 had last gen but they let it all go to waste and now they're back at square one. The Scorpio will help them a little, particularly in the US, but it's not going to be anywhere near enough. I doubt they'd even be able to turn the UK around at this point.

AmFreak

They could have this gen.
And this was probably their last chance, cause as it looks we won't have generations anymore.

xealo

Ultimately, software is what moves hardware sales. They need more first and second party titles people will buy an Xbox for to play than just Halo/Gears to make any significant gain on Sony outside the US.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Probably not(but i think that in the long run its compatible consoles policy will help a lot) but in the end what's really important is how much money they make, not how many consoles they sell.

Melchiah

Worldwide, not a chance. Their brand isn't strong.

Yep. No chance for that happening in mainland Europe and Japan. Dunno about the emerging areas, where the PS4 is popular now.

EDIT:
The hate flows strong with many.

Sith.jpg

Or could it be, that they just don't offer as much for non-American customers as the competition? Worse localisation (Kinect's voice recognition not working in native tongue) and tiered launches in Europe don't help.

Rob2K19

Never. Japanese products rule the world. Sony screws up then a miracle happens and Nintendo got their back with a 100 million home console to keep the streak going. Bar is too high for MS.

kyser73

So Xbox could also have a fluke couldn't they?

Do you not get what the Wii was? It pulled in a one-time market that has since moved onto mobile, or simply weren't the kind to be interested in buying another gadget every 5-6 years.

Scorpio isn't going to pull that audience in - it's a console squarely aimed at the core gaming audience where MS sees the most obtainable post-sale value, which is an audience they can sell to developers. 2 million people buying a game who then go into spending additional money for 12-24 months after launch is probably more valuable - certainly from the perspective of cash flow stability - than a heavy bet on something that need to sell 5mn+ to start making money.

So yeah MS could have a fluke. So could Sony with PS5, so could Nintendo with Switch - but it's not going to be from the Wii audience.

It's not a question about will or will not, it's a question about how badly MS want to be market leader.
If they really want it, no one can stop them.

No one can stop them? LMAO, unlimited resources am I rite? How can Microsoft lose with Halo, Forza and Gears. Who can stop them?

xealo

They really didn't want to be a market leader with Windows phones then?

I'm sure Microsoft wanted Windows Phone to become the next big hit, but just like with Xbox, there's no reason to be spending the kind of money that would be needed to take on Android for nowhere near the return on investment that it would likely result in.

Markoman

Not completely impossible but the numbers don't lie. In terms of pure mindshare we need to keep in mind that PS2 outsold OG Xbox, 360 and X1 combined. Sony draws from almost 400 million Playstation owners in the last 20 years vs. 140-150 million Xbox owners in 15 years (with a huge chunk coming from US).

To be honest, I feel that Nintendo has a far better chance to grab 2nd place ww than MS taking the crown.

No, their audience is niche and specific to the USA and UK. They don't appear to have any interest in expanding it either and if anything have pulled out or lessened their efforts in the wide market.

Windforce

Sure it's possible, all it needs to happen is Sony to mess up. It almost happened with PS3 and 360, when Sony was at its strongest with PS2.

With PS4 and X1 being much closer than PS2 and Xbox were, for sure PS5 x "Xbox 4" could end up in a ww MS win.

Sure it's possible, all it needs to happen is Sony to mess up. It almost happened with PS3 and 360, when Sony was at its strongest with PS2.

With PS4 and X1 being much closer than PS2 and Xbox were, for sure PS5 x "Xbox 4" could end up in a ww MS win.
It never "almost happened" the wii exists.
Xbox has never been close. Not a knock against them just the facts.

ugly

Its funny because I remember gamecube times and late wii / wii u times where people spoke of Microsoft and Sony as the big players and Nintendo as an incompetent franchise that had no chance of competing in their waters

Melchiah

The PS3 was released nearly 1,5 years later in Europe, at 599€ (649€ in Finland), yet it still managed to outsell the 360 in the region.

bidguy

Banned
dont know about outselling but they sure as hell managed to get a big marketshare. they at least released a much better quality product than the competition with the s, we will see if scorpio keeps the quality

Woo-Fu

Banned
If the business of selling black-box PCs with walled garden economies continues I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft "wins" a generation.

Nope, probably never gonna happen.

Sure they will. It's Sony. People worship them as if the company can see them as anything other than just a number. "Uncharted 5 guys? TLoU 3? Look at these graphics guys. It's the Naughty Gods! AMIRIGHT AMIRIGHT?!?!? I mean no BC, no folders again, and we're not going to allow you to stream video files anymore either, but PS5. Greatness is still waiting!"

Damn dude, are you okay lol

Cepheus

Maybe. Who knows? We can't tell the future. Maybe if MS completely bodies Sony in the US one day, since Xbox consoles are more popular in the US than anywhere else. But that probably won't happen.

Betty

Banned

Everyone was creaming themselves before the PS4 Pro was shown, then the reveal came and most went "that's it?"

I'm sure Scorpio will run games better and at a higher quality but I doubt it's going to be a seismic shift like many here think.

Its funny because I remember gamecube times and late wii / wii u times where people spoke of Microsoft and Sony as the big players and Nintendo as an incompetent franchise that had no chance of competing in their waters

You do realise that the Wii didn't compete in their waters, right? It competed in different waters. Those waters that are now controlled by Apple and Google, which is why the Wii U came out and picked things up where the Gamecube left off.

This line of thinking is ridiculous...it is like saying MS has infinite money to spend on the Xbox division.

They could outspend Sony and Nintendo many, many times over if they wished. They're sitting on $90 billion in cash and they wouldn't even have to touch it.

That said, there would be consequences so there's no way they would do it. It would be like letting Homer Simpson design his car.

So I kind of agree with you, they won't. But if Satya went crazy they could

Genio88

Not numbers aren't that important to them, also to me they won in last gen, they sold more than PS3 in America and just a few milions less worldwide, but to me they won cause they managed to get competitive and to sell as much a as PS3 after PS2 sold 150 milion consoles, putting them in a great situation and brand recognition

Atomski

Now? I doubt it. If they would have played their cards right after how well the 360 did they probably could have. They done fucked that up though and its a long road to recovery on that..

Staying relevenant in the west should be their #1 focus from now on though..

Didn't they obliterate the competition in software sales with 360? I know hardware was a different story, but I can't remember it even being close with software. Been a few years since I looked.

That doesn't sound right given:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Wii_video_games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Xbox_360_video_games

Wii finished off with about 900 million games sold. Not sure about 360 since I can't find any source with end of gen data for it, but given the best selling games lists - and how the top ten (revising sports which was a pack-in game in most territories to 3M, its Japanese sales figure) of the wii dwarf that of the 360, while holding up in number of 1M+ games as well - I suspect the wii was superior in terms of software sales as well.

AmFreak

The PS3 was released nearly 1,5 years later in Europe, at 599€ (649€ in Finland), yet it still managed to outsell the 360 in the region.
And half a year after launch it did cost 399€ and thus was on the same level as the 360.
On top of no online fee and a freely upgradeable hdd.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I see a decent number of people saying this here on these forums and I'll never understand it to be honest. People can go in depth on the (mostly true) issues that Microsoft has in the home console space but brush off Nintendo's larger issues and/or still feel that Nintendo has a great chance to make a major comeback even though the brand hasn't been known for online gaming or core third party support in many years -- two qualities that have GREATLY helped the sales of both the Xbox One and PS4.

Nintendo is going for a different type of console with the Switch just so they can stay relevant in the home console gaming space period. Xbox doesn't have that problem simply due to third party support alone. Xbox One is relevant in some territories; Wii U is relevant no where.

Unlikely now with the damage they did to the brand with the launch XB1. I think for them to have any real shot at it, they need to do something drastically different to the competition, but in a way that people are excited for and not disgusted!

Not numbers aren't that important to them, also to me they won in last gen, they sold more than PS3 in America and just a few milions less worldwide, but to me they won cause they managed to get competitive and to sell as much a as PS3 after PS2 sold 150 milion consoles, putting them in a great situation and brand recognition
wow they battled and lost the prize of second place ?? Why is that a win?

Top Bottom