• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think we'll see Bloodborne 2 at E3?

Can you post the article? I think I missed it.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/dark-souls-3-director-talks-franchises-legacy-poss/1100-6441636/

You've said you're done with Souls, but does that mean this is the end of the Souls franchise, or do you expect to hand that off to other directors? Does that extend to Bloodborne as well, or are there lessons you've learned from Dark Souls III that you'd like to take into another Bloodborne?

This game marks a major "turning point" within the Dark Souls series. Just as it's been announced, we have two DLCs planned, but as it stands now, I'm not thinking about making any sequels or spin-offs. That applies to Bloodborne as well.

I keep referring to the series as a "turning point," and I'm avoiding use of the word "finish," since saying it would completely "finish" the series.

If someone says they want to make a Dark Souls game using the latest in technology, and if it is sufficiently attractive, then it wouldn’t be fair for me to just finish the series.

To add, I can't deny the fact that, maybe down the line, I want to go back to the series and make one more game before I retire. I don't want to be branded a liar if that happens [laughs].

VertPin

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/dark-souls-3-interview-it-wouldnt-be-right-to-cont/1100-6432425/

Bloodborne is mentioned in the same breath as the other souls games. So its as dead as Dark Souls.

Oh I remember this. That was July 8, 2016. The article where he is talking about the three new games is in September, not the same article. It's likely things could have changed, or he simply said "not in development" or "no comment" or "I can't talk about that" to avoid whatever hype that would have started. In fact, right after Dark Souls he mentioned he would like to create some light-kid friendly game.

With or without Miyazaki as Director, I personally believe Bloodborne 2 will happen. The game was too much of a success and I'm sure Sony wants to invest in it. It doesn't even need to take place in the same world. Just give me that hot Bloodborne 2, SCEJA/FROM!

Oh I remember this. That was July 8, 2016. The article where he is talking about the three new games is in September, not the same article. It's likely things could have changed, or he simply said "not in development" or "no comment" or "I can't talk about that" to avoid whatever hype that would have started. In fact, right after Dark Souls he mentioned he would like to create some light-kid friendly game.

With or without Miyazaki as Director, I personally believe Bloodborne 2 will happen. The game was too much of a success and I'm sure Sony wants to invest in it. It doesn't even need to take place in the same world. Just give me that hot Bloodborne 2, SCEJA/FROM!

Well, Miyazaki is the head of Fromsoft and i don't think Fromsoft is going to put out games hes not interested in. You have to realize hes been working on this series of games for nearly a decade. Fromsoft also doesn't have the manpower to work on more than what theyre working on right now. They have 260 employees, split between 3 projects is 86 people, which is an average dev team size for a game. We already know two of those are new IPs, one being a dark fantasy ARPG and the other being armored core, likely what we're going to see this E3 at Sony's conference.

With that in mind remember that some of these projects are 2-3 years out before release if not further, so there isn't a whole lot of room to introduce new projects.

And while Sony owns the Bloodborne IP, they can't force to Fromsoft make Bloodborne contrary to popular belief, Fromsoft is a third party entity and there isnt any contract demanding that Fromsoft make Bloodborne games for a certain number of years like there is with EA and Destiny. In addition to that, the partnership that even allowed that to happen was one out if good will, they're not going to bite the hand that feeds them (good games) It just means Fromsoft can't make Bloodborne games for other consoles or without Sony's greenlight. Which is why Dark Souls exists rather than Demon Souls 2 (which is never happening).

And I can gaurentee you nothing has changed between then and now. Maybe check back in 5+ years or so for Sony's new console if Miyazaki changes his mind.
But nothing new has come out of the Fromsoft pipeline which means they can't allocate any resources to any new projects and if Miyazaki is feeling burnt out now from making the same game for 8 years he's still going to feel that way in another 2. They're looking for the opportunity to spread their wings and truly try something new rather than making slight iterations on the same formula. but after Fromsoft puts out their new ARPGs i doubt fromsoft or others will still be clamoring for Bloodborne the way they do now.

Also i don't understand what the point of having a Bloodborne sequel would be if its in a different world when the same and more can be accomplished with a new IP, which is what's happening.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
If we see BB2, it won't be a From Software game. From isn't working on any IP's that Kadokawa doesn't own any more.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I just hope Miyazaki gives cosmic horror another go. Just full blown mind fuckery.

Its not like theres anyone else in the industry doing Lovecraftian themes any justice.

Toni

There will be another Bloodborne in name.

Bloodborne was a huge success story and printed about the same amount of money a regular Dark Souls entry usually brings in. But BB did it with barriers such as it being exclusive, having little promo and being a new IP.

Its essentially what any dev green lighting a new IP from scratch would only dream of.

And I doubt Miyazaki will find the same success on any other exclusive project that is not on PlayStation.

VertPin

Bloodborne was a huge success story and printed about the same amount of money a regular Dark Souls entry usually brings in. But BB did it with barriers such as it being exclusive, having little promo and being a new IP.

Its essentially what any dev green lighting a new IP from scratch would only dream of.
This. We will see another Bloodborne, for sure. It would be very silly not to proceed with another entry.

Verder

to be honest im suprised this thread is still alive after so many thread title changes.

still hoping for it to be announced tho

Freeman76

No chance imo. Not every game needs a sequel and I think From know they have overdone the whole gothic thing now.

I just hope they dont let another team make a sequel and we end up with an another DS2 job. Miyazaki has confirmed several times that he doesnt intend to continue any of his current franchises, and if he isnt at the helm it wont be the same.

Toni

You guys are just doing wishful thinking at this point.

Its time to accept that its dead.

I mean, I get it. You dont want a Bloodborne game. You've made that abundandtly clear.

But its business. And both Sony and From Software profit imensely from it. Its going to happen. Period.

I dont get why people would be against an exclusive game from From Software, that sold 3 milliom units on a single platform.

Freeman76

And I doubt Miyazaki will find the same success on any other exclusive project that is not on PlayStation.

You literally have no basis for this post yet state it like its fact.

VertPin

I mean, if you ignore the mountains of facts and evidence and hide behind the "it made money!" argument to fuel your hopes and dreams then sure.
Well, considering one of their games is a dark fantasy action RPG that will be met by "fan expectations" and the "insider info" from Thomas, I'm sure it'll happen. It doesn't mean this year or next, but I'm sure it will happen.

Well, considering one of their games is a dark fantasy action RPG that will be met by "fan expectations" and the "insider info" from Thomas, I'm sure it'll happen. It doesn't mean this year or next, but I'm sure it will happen.

That doesn't automatically mean it's Bloodborne.

Toni

You literally have no basis for this post yet state it like its fact.

But why does it bother folks that it is a profitable IP that both Sony and From Software profited from it, and it would not be far fetch to see it continue.

It sold 3 million on a single platform.

Why the hell wouldnt Sony greenlight another one?

These are dream-like profit margins.

But why does it bother folks that it is a profitable IP that both Sony and From Software pforited from it, and it would not be far fetch to see it continue.

I believe the last official numbers from Sony are 2.1 million.

Van Bur3n

I mean, I get it. You dont want a Bloodborne game. You've made that abundandtly clear.

But its business. And both Sony and From Software profit imensely from it. Its going to happen. Period.

I dont get why people would be against an exclusive game from From Software, that sold 3 milliom units on a single platform.

It's potential for success doesn't guarantee it will happen. Plenty of demand for sequels over the years for popular games and they never happen. "It's business. Period." isn't really an argument.

Thomas doesn't have "insider info", it was his personal guess. I have actually spoken to someone close to Fromsoft though that is credible and they've confirmed to be that there wont be (including Bloodborne) any more souls games.

The dark fantasy game is and always has been a new IP.
But why does it bother folks that it is a profitable IP that both Sony and From Software pforited from it, and it would not be far fetch to see it continue.

Because Sony doesn't have that power. Fromsoft isnt their studio.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I believe the last official numbers from Sony are 2.1 million.

In September 2015.

Its not hard to believe it hit 3 million after. The DLC came out around then plus its had overwhelmingly positive word of mouth from most people who play it.

The God

What if From Software doesn't want to make it? Sony can't force them to do anything. It's that simple.

In September 2015.

Its not hard to believe it hit 3 million after. The DLC came out around then plus its had overwhelmingly positive word of mouth from most people who play it.

It's not hard to believe, but it's also not official.

Also, the 2.1 million figure is from the end of 2015. It was at 2 million in mid-September of that year.

Freeman76

Im not bothered at all, Im happy that I got to play Bloodborne as its a great game, and Im also happy they are moving on to new things as I happen to think they have overkilled that particular type setting. Shawshank Redemption is my favourite film, doesnt mean I need them to make another 2 or 3 sequels. What you need to do is stop pulling bullshit facts out of your bottom and posting crap because you want a sequel.

Toni

Im not bothered at all, Im happy that I got to play Bloodborne as its a great game, and Im also happy they are moving on to new things as I happen to think they have overkilled that particular type setting. Shawshank Redemption is my favourite film, doesnt mean I need them to make another 2 or 3 sequels. What you need to do is stop pulling bullshit facts out of your bottom and posting crap because you want a sequel.

Oh, clearly you're not bothered. 😂

Im simply saying it makes sense from a busniess sense. But yet, this is the degrading tone I get to deal with for making such statements.

VertPin

Thomas doesn't have "insider info", it was his personal guess. I have actually spoken to someone close to Fromsoft though that is credible and they've confirmed to be that there wont be (including Bloodborne) any more souls games.

Not to sound rude but who? Lol. I'm rather curious. I thought the rule was insider info had to be validated anyways? Not to sound mean I'm just curious because, anyone could say that they have a relation to FromSoftware and make a prediction or guess.

Bronetta

Can you say if their new ip will be closer to Dark Souls or Bloodborne?

Not to sound rude but who? Lol. I'm rather curious. I thought the rule was insider info had to be validated anyways? Not to sound mean I'm just curious because, anyone could say that they have a relation to FromSoftware and make a prediction or guess.
I mean, the entire point of having an insider is that you don't post their identity.

Ive already spoken to a moderator twice about the subject and where i got my info from. But everything i post on the subject is stuff that can be easily corroborated from public info. I know more than i post about, but im not going to talk about it until the project is officially revealed.
Can you say if their new ip will be closer to Dark Souls or Bloodborne?
Depends on what you mean by that. I don't know anything about the gameplay, i do have a vague idea on the setting but its not concrete. But ive also been asked not to leak anything and i do genuinely care for their job and the fact that i got the opportunity to ask them questions at all.

VertPin

You know, even if Bloodborne 2 isn't in development just yet or whatever, I'm just so excited to see From's next game!

I hope there is another one for the people who want it.

However, as someone who appreciates the Soulsborne titles but doesn't love them, I think the formula is starting to wear a little thin.

Demon Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 between 2009 and 2016 is pretty full on. That's not even including the lorry-loads of DLC From Software has released.

Totally respect that some people can't get enough, but maybe it's time to give it a rest for a bit.

Bronetta

You know, even if Bloodborne 2 isn't in development just yet or whatever, I'm just so excited to see From's next game!

I just hope they show it at E3.

Dark Souls 3 came out over a year ago plus From works pretty efficiently.

I know theres a new Armored Core in development but Im not really interested in that.

I dunno, I would just expect to see Armored Core with some sort of VR implementation at E3. It seems like this game is furthest along. If there's a Demon's Souls remaster, that would be on Sony since the ball's completely in their court on that matter.

I wouldn't bet on 2017. Im going to say 2018 reveal 2019 release at the earliest. But it all really depends on how they go about this and whether or not theyre going to use the souls engine or overhaul it or make a new one.

I can say that their next game isnt an iterative one like Dark Souls>Bloodborne is and that the differences between the games will be a lot more pronounced. But there will be similarities. What those are, i don't actually know.

jviggy43

In that quote he literally says if someone came to him with an attractive proposal he'd do it and he Doesn't want to use the word finish in case they decide to make more, so it's weird people are arguing that it's 100% certain these games aren't being made when even he himself wasn't willing to close the door on them completly.

Also I'm willing to throw down an avatar bet on a sequel to either BB or ds coming out in the next few years.

Also.i do agree Ds has become a bit stale, which is why I'd much rather have them do a sequel to BB. A lot more avenues to expand upon new gameplay mechanics like beasthood, ascension, chalice dungeons, PvP, etc.

VertPin

I wouldn't bet on 2017. Im going to say 2018 reveal 2019 release at the earliest. But it all really depends on how they go about this and whether or not theyre going to use the souls engine or overhaul it or make a new one.

I can say that their next game isnt an iterative one like Dark Souls>Bloodborne is and that the differences between the games will be a lot more pronounced. But there will be similarities. What those are, i don't actually know.

Wait, so they haven't even really started developing the new game yet? Sorry for questioning I'm just really curious.

Bronetta

In that quote he literally says if someone came to him with an attractive proposal he'd do it and he Doesn't want to use the word finish in case they decide to make more, so it's weird people are arguing that it's 100% certain these games aren't being made when even he himself wasn't willing to close the door on them completly.

Also I'm willing to throw down an avatar bet on a sequel to either BB or ds coming out in the next few years.

For all we know one of his team member showed up with some mushrooms the next day and they came up with some dank BB2 ideas while tripping which got Miyazaki motivated to get right on BB2. The interview doesnt mean much unless he held the same stance in a more recent interview.

Im only half kidding

Also.i do agree Ds has become a bit stale, which is why I'd much rather have them do a sequel to BB. A lot more avenues to expand upon new gameplay mechanics like beasthood, ascension, chalice dungeons, PvP, etc.

Right, it would be wrong to say it's never happening; however, for the foreseeable future, we can deduce that it isn't in the cards.

Top Bottom