• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 8 |OT| We've fucking time-travelled, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Missy with the iPad was glaring, but I'm holding out hope that was intentional and she actually has an Earth device for some reason instead of it being due to production laziness.

That episode was amazing. It fixed all the problems I had with season 7. No convoluted lore stuffed episodes. No plots that feel like they should be in a 2 hour movie. Just a simple storyline with some great setups and payoffs, fantastic interactions with the doctor and the companion, and a great, unique, monster. Oh, and REALLY fun. A blast to watch. Nailed the 'monster of the week' style perfectly. This is what every episode should be like.

lewisgone

who would have thought an ipad would cause this much discussion.

Well it's just that she's so mysterious, in a place called "Heaven" talking to characters who should be dead planning something strange. It's a show, at least partially, about space travel, she could be anywhere inside or even outside the universe, who knows at this stage?

But then she whips out an iPad and it grounds the character, to where she at least has some contact with earth. Slightly less mysterious. I keep thinking about her walking into the Apple Store or Argos or something.

(I haven't seen season 7 though, is she explained more there?)

Joqu

Well I don't think heaven is part of the UK so there's no way Missy's streaming these Doctor Who episodes legally

That's bound to cause some discussion man

Maddocks

Well it's just that she's so mysterious, in a place called "Heaven" talking to characters who should be dead planning something strange. It's a show, at least partially, about space travel, she could be anywhere inside or even outside the universe, who knows at this stage?

But then she whips out an iPad and it grounds the character, to where she at least has some contact with earth. Slightly less mysterious. I keep thinking about her walking into the Apple Store or Argos or something.

(I haven't seen season 7 though, is she explained more there?)

shes a new character. doesn't really effect anything I think. It's just a device to show that she is watching her very closely, if anything people should wonder how she got that close up of Clara.

PaulloDEC

New Doctor Who game announced.

It's not what you think though, it's aimed at teaching coding.

Sounds like a cool project. More info (including a gameplay/interview video) here.

I like their stylised art, too.

9fgb.jpg

DodgerSan

Just got done watching and came here surprised to see people enjoying the episode. I just...i don't get it. To me this doctor is playing second fiddle to characers i cant get behind. The whole "i was a great doctor" bothered me greatly as I dont tune in for other characters to pretend to he great when they are otherwise.

And dont get me started on ipads in heaven.

The speech though. For a few seconds I got goosebumps so i am glad i ultimately did not miss it

Once Jobs arrived on the celestial plane the reality distortion field kicked into overdrive. Next thing you know there's a new long-term supply contract to the heavenly host.

iPads in heaven would have fit RTD pretty well in my opinion.

Also yeah, nice art style on that game. It makes me want a Telltale Doctor Who adventure game because it reminds me of Tales of Monkey Island art.

Dryk

shes a new character. doesn't really effect anything I think. It's just a device to show that she is watching her very closely, if anything people should wonder how she got that close up of Clara.
Maybe she hacked the Doctor's optic nerve

Tizoc

I liked Rigsy...in fact I liked a bunch of side characters from the past eps. that would've been cool to have as actual companions.
Rigsy should be a future companion =/

Next ep. looks interesting.

The iPad was lulzy though, should've had her sitting at her table and looking at a monitor screen.

Fuu

The more I think about it the more it feels like the iPad was intentional. It would be easy as hell to at least erase the home button in post-production and make it less conspicuous for such a short scene. It's a minor thing yeah, but it was so in our faces that I have to give the benefit of the doubt since there's been a lot of tiny fun continuity things and attention to detail in these episodes. Maybe it all fits when the "lady in the shop" mystery gets resolved.

I actually feel that season 8 will heavily benefit from hindsight, especially as far as the way character development has been going this time.

edit: I'll look really silly when it turns out to be a production misstep and its fixed in the BD. Lol.

Kurdel

Banned
Yes, but she lived in present day Earth, when iPads existed. One would assume heaven doesn't have iPads.

Plus, going off the bezel, it's a 2012 model or prior.

There was also in iPad Time Heist I think, but we only see the rear cover. I'll see if I can share a screenshot.

The iPad sort of goes with the whole feel they are portraying for Paradise. Particularly the office setting.

It was definitely jarring but I didn't hate its use.

Plus, going off the bezel, it's a 2012 model or prior.

There was also in iPad Time Heist I think, but we only see the rear cover. I'll see if I can share a screenshot.

Don't forget the lady in The Bells of St. John who hacked people with her iPad. I think that was in a case, though.

BaBaRaRa

Yes, but she lived in present day Earth, when iPads existed. One would assume heaven doesn't have iPads.

Other than the claim of the white-walled place being heaven (which, really? C'mon...), the only other grounding we have for Missy is an electronics shop in Clara's time. With that context, it didn't seem out of place to me as a reminder.

Anyway, context aside, it drew a parallel to Kizlet for me. I'm half expecting the Great Intelligence to turn up now.

Hellers

Remember the copper from The Caretaker got to look through the blinds into the place proper and was shocked. I doubt it's anything as simple as "Heaven"

Remember the copper from The Caretaker got to look through the blinds into the place proper and was shocked. I doubt it's anything as simple as "Heaven"

It's people being converted into Cybermen. Or something equally as uninteresting. Honestly, my expectations for the finale are low as hell. I don't want to get burned again.

It's people being converted into Cybermen. Or something equally as uninteresting. Honestly, my expectations for the finale are low as hell. I don't want to get burned again.

I really hope the finale isn't going to be as boring as i think it will be. Cybermen bore me to tears. But I'm willing to give it a chance.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Capaldi in the little Tardis is one of the best things they've ever done, and its made even better by how straight they play it towards the end with him crawling around the train tracks

Watched Flatline last night and I really enjoyed it. Probably my favourite of this series so far. I found the broken animation of the enemies wrong and fairly creepy, it was cool to see Clara solving the problem without the Doctor, and he was in relatively plausible peril himself. I'm a fan of the 'monster of the week' episodes and I thought this stands alongside decent episodes from previous series like 42, The Empty Child or Silence in the Library.

Fuu

Capaldi in the little Tardis is one of the best things they've ever done, and its made even better by how straight they play it towards the end with him crawling around the train tracks
Yep. "Like Addams Family" scene shot right up to one of my favorites of the whole show. The real tension combined with the absolute hilariousness of it all was delightful. The idea, the execution, the Doctor's little dance, the Tardis falling again, his shock. Just perfect.

Hellers

This be clear, if the train hit the kleenex box sized tardis, the train would have derailed and explosed, right?

Given the size difference of the mini-Tardis and siege mode Tardis I'd have expected it to just fall directly to the floor rather than being at an angle on the tracks ready to be hit by a train (The length shrunk to a cube). In that case though it wouldn't have been where Clara found it.

I chalk it up to dramatic necessity and move along

Fuu

Well the thing is that the Doctor had no idea what would happen to him or the TARDIS if it was hit by a train while it was in that state, hence the tension. Turns out it was still able to defend itself, but lost too much energy in the process due to the shrinking.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Well the thing is that the Doctor had no idea what would happen to him or the TARDIS if it was hit by a train while it was in that state, hence the tension. Turns out it was still able to defend itself, but lost too much energy in the process due to the shrinking.
The impression I got was that seige mode shunted what little energy remained into the defenses.

The more I think about Flatline the more I really really like it. I mean, I liked it when I saw it, but not only is it holding up on reflection, I think its getting better

The more I think about Flatline the more I really really like it.

Co-signed.

The story made sense, there was a credible threat, the final solution had some proper set up to it instead of materializing out of nowhere when the story needs to end AND the script even remembered previously set-up rules ("Why can't the Tardis just translate?") instead of making up rules and forgetting them whenever convenient.

Everything I've disliked about the show recently was completely gone. By far the best episode of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom