• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 8 |OT| We've fucking time-travelled, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick

Banned
igH7fxbq7c8OC.png

ibhcaAHT0GV7rS.png

After last year's festivities (50th Anniversary and the end of the 11th Doctor's era), we're finally back in business on 23rd August 2014 with Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor, with Jenna Coleman returning as Clara Oswald.

After having Series 6 and 7 split into two halves, Series 8 returns to airing each episode weekly, with no breaks. The new season comprises of twelve episodes and the Christmas special.

More content will be added as new information comes in.

iXvjzcUYYvm2B.png

Spoilers regarding upcoming episodes must remain tagged until after it airs in the UK. Tags-free after the episode airs.

Episodes air the same day for other regions for the most part, so people from other regions keeping track of the season shouldn't be too far behind in joining the discussion.

ivasYgCJFRcdi.png

ibkV5dFTbHdWJI.png

ibq8hegnkmZw8I.png

i3zrxX36cH5wL.png

iKf5G0H9YMFr6.png

ibaw0haOnAFN0.png

ibkfsRvYucLvkz.png

ioJeHA0unWy85.png

ivL3JD5O5DRSo.png

i5pmkfSyucpz4.png

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Paternoster gang are from 19th Century (Victorian) London, no?

And I hope they don't have a big role this series, they're so fucking one-note and boring.

As an American, I have no experience with Capaldi, other than youtube videos containing long chains of entertaining swearing, so I'm eager to see where he goes with this.

"Mercurial, edgy, and febrile" sounds great, but those would be words I'd ascribe to nearly every Doctor to some extent. I suppose though that's good news in of itself.

Fireblend

Banned
Perfect OT.

So hyped for this. I really hope the opening sequence leaks soon, I really want to watch it after knowing about the leaked details about it
3AQmK.gif
haha. I also have zero experience with Capaldi, but he's got the right look and from what I've seen on YouTube of his previous roles, he should be more than capable of pulling off a great Doctor. And I trust Clara's character is really going to start shining this season.

16 days! Can't wait.

I really, REALLY wanna see that opener. I'm curious as to whether
it's "based" on the fan-one, or if it basically IS the fan-one, with some cosmetic touch-ups here & there.

it's "based" on the fan-one, or if it basically IS the fan-one, with some cosmetic touch-ups here & there.

It's
Based on, it has things like the cogs and the way the TARDIS is in it, but there's no face, no fob watch, no seal of Rassilon, etc.

Thanks!

Mildly disappointed that

they've gotten rid of the face, though. I really liked that aspect returning to the intros

SPOILERS
It's based in the fan one in terms of the cogs and the TARDIS flying through the spiralling clockface. There's no fobwatch and no Seal of Rassilon, and CGI planets emerge from the clockface. There's a vortex as seen in the Reddit photo, and the face in the title sequence comes back. This time, though, it's a close up of Capaldi's eyes/ eyebrows.
It's
Based on, it has things like the cogs and the way the TARDIS is in it, but there's no face, no fob watch, no seal of Rassilon, etc.
I'm almost certain the face was there, in a subtle, 7b kind of way.

Fireblend

Banned
All I really wanna know about the OP is whether it's well rendered. Matt's last opening felt to me like it had no sense of depth, just a weird psychedelic 2D background the TARDIS was flying in front of, not through.

All I really wanna know about the OP is whether it's well rendered. Matt's last opening felt to me like it had no sense of depth, just a weird psychedelic 2D background the TARDIS was flying in front of, not through.

That last one was inspired by the classic intros that were more psychedelic and had the face. I think it was just for the 50th anniversary year and they're going back to more what we expect now.

But I miss the face already.

I thought it was like the TARDIS was flying through various geeky paraphernalia through the ages, from roman candles to nuclear explosions to lava lamps to the intro to The Prisoner to a hipster cellphone commercial, finally being rescued by Tom Baker's time tunnel. Basically why even though it's a complete thematic clusterfuck, I loved it.

Fantastic OP!
So wish I could've gone today, the whole thing sounds like glorious madness. Glad to hear all the positive reactions though.

There were a couple of clips on the news earlier (maybe from episode 2 I'm guessing?). Hopefully they surface online somehow.

Then, yes is the answer. It's well done.

For those new to WhoGAF: Myself and several others (Extermineren for one) have seen it today. Wooohoooo. And proper form, not leak form.

Kurdel

Banned
Can't wait! Managed to avoid all spoilers, the Who community is really great!

I want a new sonic to be generated a some point in the first season!

10-11-sonic-screwdriver-off.gif

Then, yes is the answer. It's well done.

For those new to WhoGAF: Myself and several others (Extermineren for one) have seen it today. Wooohoooo. And proper form, not leak form.

So jealous!

AndyB1974

Great OP! I'm more excited about Doctor Who at the moment than I have been for a long time, and relatively spoiler-free for the coming series too. Can't wait.

Episode thoughts later, or when there's questions, but one thought...

I'm not sure it's as good a one to watch in the cinema as DOTD. The episode itself is great - but as it doesn't feel like a movie, some of the scenes just felt like they'd be better on the small screen at home, different atmosphere, less cheering etc. Though on the other hand it's a GORGEOUS episode, great FX and direction, and although I enjoyed watching it on a HUUUGE scale, I don't think I'd miss out on anything if I just saw it at home.

Oh and fans shouldn't ask questions at these events I've decided. Fan Q and As generally filled with rubbish questions.

border

I thought there was a rule that you weren't supposed to start an OT more than a week before launch?

I saw this thing and thought the show was premiering next Saturday :(

I thought there was a rule that you weren't supposed to start an OT more than a week before launch?

I saw this thing and thought the show was premiering next Saturday :(

In this case, they're doing a 'World Tour' and showing it at like, 7 fan events in the next few weeks. So it's Cardiff and London today, Seoul, Sydney, New York, Mexico City and Rio de Janeiro over the next two weeks. So plenty of fans will see it, discussions directly related to S8 will be underway so it sort of makes sense I guess.

What was the audience reaction to SPOILERS
Matt showing up
?

Excited applause. Went down well, but that's with die hards. It works well and is well done.

As an aside - was listening in to other people on the way out, someone was like "oh well it's mainly just a check list of oh yeah shut up fangirls, you won't like this" and got annoyed that some fans (not here, you're all lovely) spend more time thinking their fan-style is better by overanalysing (and frankly pulling out their arse) thoughts on what others think. Just enjoy it. Not related to the episode, but I felt the need to vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom