• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anime fanservice ever keep you from recommending an anime?

Two Words

I feel like this has happened a number of times to me. There will be an anime that I like and think a friend will like it too. The problem is that the anime also has moments of stupid fanservicey things that are often sexual by nature. These moments often don't really add anything to the show.

A recent example for me is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I recently thought about it since Overwatch added the dance from it for Mei. I liked this anime back when I watched it. I think it has an interesting premise and I have a friend that I think would like it. She tends to like shows with interesting premises like this. I just wish they didn't have so much obvious fanservice moments throughout the show. I can only imagine somebody new to the show like my friend quickly disregarding it due to it.

Zolo

Unless the person's never watched anime before, I'll usually just let them know if something's fanservice-heavy.

If they've never watched anime, I generally won't recommend anything heavy in fanservice.

KillLaCam

Banned
It keeps me from watching Anime. Like everything new that has been recommended to me is childish or full of fanservice. I think the only anime that I enjoyed with fanservice was Prison School. Im not even sure why I enjoyed that show though lol.

I usually just like anime like Shigurui, Monster or Ergo Proxy. But Anime like that doesn't seem to exist anymore

wwm0nkey

It keeps me from watching Anime. Like everything new that has been recommended to me is childish or full of fanservice. I think the only anime that I enjoyed with fanservice was Prison School. Im not even sure why I enjoyed that show though lol.

I usually just like anime like Shigurui, Monster or Ergo Proxy. But Anime like that doesn't seem to exist anymore
Watch Mob Psycho 100

I mean, it's anime. If the person you're talking to has any problems with fanservice, it probably is not a great conversation starter.

LordKasual

Banned
Fanservice has become so deeply ingrained that it's gone from "fanservicey moments" into entire animes that are essentially built upon the concept. Like, they get super mainstream now too. Kill la Kill is a good example of this.

It's pretty much the sole reasoning for my falling out with Anime.

Well, that and Naruto's shitty writing

Edit: The big thing though is fanservice surrounding 4 foot tall (really 18) toddler anime chicks. That's just creepy yo

Two Words

I mean, it's anime. If the person you're talking to has any problems with fanservice, it probably is not a great conversation starter.
I don't see how fanservice is innately a part of anime. Plenty of amines don't have fan service. And I'm not trying to be a prude here. It is perfectly fine for an anime to have a sexualized character. Sex and sexuality in animes isn't the problem.

It keeps me from watching much anime at all, which keeps me from recommending anime since I don't have much to recommend. I'm ok with light fan service style stuff but anything that contains numerous minutes of pantie shots is just too much, and that unfortunately seems to be a lot of anime now.

Therin

eh .. fanservice is pretty much unavoidable in anime, it's so baked into the formula.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Haruhi as an entry level anime, since it has substance that far outweighs the dumb fanservice stuff. Plus I'd assume that based on the mainstream perception of anime, they would understand that at least some fanservice is to be expected.

I definitely wouldn't recommend something like School of the Dead, where the fanservice is actually a major feature lol.

Savitar

If it's the typical tropes, sure. If not, no.

When I say typical tropes I mean like the guy who crashes into the girl and is on her not realizing he's groping her breast etc.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Fanservice has become so deeply ingrained that it's gone from "fanservicey moments" into entire animes that are essentially built upon the concept. Like, they get super mainstream now too. Kill la Kill is a good example of this.

It's pretty much the sole reasoning for my falling out with Anime.

Well, that and Naruto's shitty writing
But Kill la Kill saved anime.

HotHamBoy

Oh yes, it is very difficult to recommend anime because of fan service. But that's not the only reason. Anime is so often very purile and comes with so much perceived baggage that I have a very difficult time convincing any fellow adult to watch it if they didn't watch it already.

I mean, even stuff that is truly brilliant like Mind Game.

Also, it's nerdy in a bad way because of the fanbase. People see anime fans as super dorks.

Man, that show is garbage.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Bakemonogatari is an interesting show full of fanservice. I recommend that people should watch it just for its interesting direction style.

Heh heh heh... My friend, I do believe the one that is garbage is you.

kunonabi

Nope, especially when fanservice is being aimed at both genders more now than ever. The only time fanservice was really a turnoff was that joshi anime since its a real disservice to the real women who work their asses off at the craft.

LordKasual

Banned

I will never bring myself to watch the show. I just can't.

Fanservice is clearly at the heart of the anime. It doesn't matter how well-animated or written the show may be. Fanservice is all I see, because it's just...there.

It's...almost insulting to me, on some subconscious level lol....did they just not think the concept would take off without nipple straps and underboob?

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. Kill la Kill has some pretty good comedy sprinkled in there. That said, it's not something I would recommend.

Yes, Kill la Kill fans, I get that the fanservice is part of the joke, but that joke gets old real fast.

I don't think fanservice can even be a joke in anime now. It's just too meta.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Eh, I wouldn't go that far. Kill la Kill has some pretty good comedy sprinkled in there. That said, it's not something I would recommend.

Yes, Kill la Kill fans, I get that the fanservice is part of the joke, but that joke gets old real fast.

HotHamBoy

No. Maybe if I was recommending anime to someone who's never seen any, but I never do that.

I think that's plainly indicative of the faults. A lot of the stuff is aimed at teenagers and focuses on rustling jimmies, but even stuff that tries to be more mature can be bogged down by juvenile and often sexist tropes. Whatever is left that isn't is stigmatized as a result.

People should have no problem recommending things like the works of Ghibli or Satoshi Kon. That stuff is excellent and transcends the medium.

I thought the first episode was pretty funny and then it falls off a cliff getting bogged down in the very tropes it satarizes. They beat everything to death and there's no subtlety. It becomes tiresome and loses it's charm and the fanservice is still intended to give teenagers boners and sell figures. It being over the top doesn't make it less genuine in its effect.

I don't see how fanservice is innately a part of anime. Plenty of amines don't have fan service. And I'm not trying to be a prude here. It is perfectly fine for an anime to have a sexualized character. Sex and sexuality in animes isn't the problem.

Don't get me wrong I recognize there are plenty of non sexualized anime.

But I mean it's hard to load up any given anime streaming site and not be bombarded by fanservice and sexuality. If someone is sensitive to that, it just would be unwise to bring it up to them. The baggage is undeniably there.

Might be better ease them into it with a Ghibli film or something like Summer Wars, that tends to be a good route.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
No.

Personally I enjoy fanservice, even when it's bad it's funny.

Also I don't have many friends, none of whom are interested in anime so I don't bother to recommend stuff to them.

The only person I recommend anime to is my sister, and she's just as bad as I am. She loved Maidragon and started sending me pictures of Lucoa cosplayers. My sister is great (not in an anime way though).

I don't think I'd really want to make good friends with people who would look down on that sort of thing, anyway. Means I wouldn't be able to be true to the kind of disgusting person I am around them.

Of course if there's a work that includes content I think will be a problem for the person I'm recommending things to, I will refrain from mentioning it, even if I like it myself. That includes anime with explicit sexual content and nudity, such as Kizumonogatari.

I will say that, contrary to what some people here believe, there are plenty of anime out there (yes, even anime being made right now) that do not feature explicit sexual content. As much attention as "ecchi" material gets within and without the anime fan community, there's a wide variety of other kinds of anime to enjoy.

lol.

No

as a anime fan , i do take care to check the tastes or the knowledge of the person i'm going to recommand something and i'll adjust.

Then , with the right recommendations , they are ready to watch anything really.

It's just a matter of correctly see the expectations of the viewer and not go too far , too fast.

There are "classics" that you can recommand to anyone really , and then once they have watched those, they can slowly get to the more advanced stuff.

I discuss anime with my students during break periods and after school, it's always funny to hear about how No, REALLY, Sword Art Online is probably the best show ever.

I'd love to recommend something like Bakemonogatari but I'm pretty sure they'd get the completely wrong idea.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I'm sort of dealing with a friend that has not really seen much anime, and I want to get him into it, but he is kind of hesitant to watch any because all the fanservice bothers him for some reason. I'm just starting him off slow with Bebop and then we'll work from there.

KillLaCam

Banned
Watch Mob Psycho 100

It looks interesting but I didnt really like 1 Punch Man.

I think I just don't like "silly" anime anymore and thats what everything is now.

I want to like Anime. But I haven't found anything new that ive liked in years. I liked Basilisk and watched it last year but its a show from 2005

Randomizer

Not if it's minor or few and far between. For example both Neon Genisis Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop feature fanservice. But it's so inconsequential and infrequent to not cause issues. Eva probably has more than I am personally comfortable with at times, however the show is so amazing I am able to see past it. Also it helps that both shows have great characters with actual development, as opposed to those put there explicitly for fan service.

I will say that, contrary to what some people here believe, there are plenty of anime out there (yes, even anime being made right now) that do not feature explicit sexual content
Stop these lies. They just don't make good manly fanserviceless anime anymore like Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell and Evangelion these days.

Line_HTX

Depends. There are some where I put caveats and cautions and then there are others where I just don't mention at all when recommending something to other people.

HotHamBoy

Stop these lies. They just don't make good manly fanserviceless anime anymore like Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell and Evangelion these days.

I know this is a joke but I'm not sure what the joke is

Not if it's minor or few and far between. For example both Neon Genisis Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop feature fanservice. But it's so inconsequential and infrequent to not cause issues. Eva probably has more than I am personally confortable with at times, however the show is so amazing I am able to see past it. Also it helps that both shows have great characters with actual development, as opposed to those put there explicitly for fan service.

Honestly, Faye is walking fanservice and her outfit is a blemish on the series.

NESpowerhouse

Bakemonogatari ... all of it. especially its Sequel. Most intense scene with a toothbrush ever

Just last month, I managed to muscle through Bake, Nise (enjoyed it more than I thought I would), and Neko just to finally get to second season. It was worth it.

captainpat

Nope.

It used to but after seeing stuff like dragon's crown and kill la kill blow up and get celebrated because of their fanservice it started dawning on me that not as many people have an issue with it as certain section of the internet would have you believe.

Top Bottom