• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

i prefer the look of them with the DOF art blur over without, but skyloft does look nice without it. better... not sure, but nice. the carboard cutout mountains revealed in Eldin though... eegads.

and... does he not care that he's running a 16:9 game at 16:10? i mean, for someone to want to kill the DOF to distort the game like that... it's madness.

does he hate black bars or something?

well, time to play some more!

Maaseru

Banned
You do need some source for two IR points to "calibrate" your Wiimote on SS startup, and then it does seem to help keep it in line the rest of the time as well. I'm simply turning my Wii on and letting it sit on the dashboard to use its bar, but I've gotten away with using the sun when I was too lazy to do even that. Once the game starts, for the most part, you don't need the sensor bar.

Your sword will constantly be out of line if you don't have a sensor bar for the automatic on the fly calibrations.

Ok thanks. So I really only need the sensor bar so that I can calibrate the controller. Maybe a stupid question, but how then does it all work? I mean how can I use my original sensor bar, connected to my wii and in no way at all to my PC? How does it work?

Medalion

Banned
Ok thanks. So I really only need the sensor bar so that I can calibrate the controller. Maybe a stupid question, but how then does it all work? I mean how can I use my original sensor bar, connected to my wii and in no way at all to my PC? How does it work?

As long as the IR bar gets power to interact off the signal from your Wii mote, the IR receiver does not have to be connected to the PC... you could buy a Wireless IR receiver and it would accomplish the same thing... the IR receiver just acts as a point of reference for your monitor

Some people use the candle trick in place of an IR receiver

Red

It's the terminology that's confusing. The sensor bar doesn't actually "sense" anything. It just emits a slight IR signal.

Ledsen

i prefer the look of them with the DOF art blur over without, but skyloft does look nice without it. better... not sure, but nice. the carboard cutout mountains revealed in Eldin though... eegads.

and... does he not care that he's running a 16:9 game at 16:10? i mean, for someone to want to kill the DOF to distort the game like that... it's madness.

does he hate black bars or something?

well, time to play some more!

I think at this point he's just doing it to irritate us on purpose :)

Just curious how is this not considered illegal?

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-digital.html

EDIT http://w2.eff.org/IP/eff_fair_use_faq.php

Although the legal basis is not completely settled, many lawyers believe that the following (and many other uses) are also fair uses:

Space-shifting or format-shifting - that is, taking content you own in one format and putting it into another format, for personal, non-commercial use. For instance, "ripping" an audio CD (that is, making an MP3-format version of an audio CD that you already own) is considered fair use by many lawyers, based on the 1984 Betamax decision and the 1999 Rio MP3 player decision (RIAA v. Diamond Multimedia, 180 F. 3d 1072, 1079, 9th Circ. 1999.)
Making a personal back-up copy of content you own - for instance, burning a copy of an audio CD you own.

Medalion

Banned
It would be illegal if you downloaded the ROM that you don't own the actual game for that you should've paid for. Dolphin is a free program.

Red

Here are some examples of the texture seam glitch I've run into. It doesn't happen often, but it's regrettable when it does. The shot with the light shafts for instance would have looked incredible without those spider-webby cross hatches.

Mr_Moogle

Well I doubt they can screw you legally if you own legitimate copies of these games. I dont think using an emulator constitutes piracy but rather the act of illegally downloading games you've never paid for. At least this is my understanding, I could be completely wrong.

My only real purpose for having dolphin is to see what my games collection looks like running in HD. So far its really impressive. Wind Waker in HD looks better than 90% of Wii games. I think its criminal that I waited til 2011 to play a Nintendo game in HD.

canocha

Here are some examples of the texture seam glitch I've run into. It doesn't happen often, but it's regrettable when it does. The shot with the light shafts for instance would have looked incredible without those spider-webby cross hatches.

Do you have AA on?

I own the game. I own a Wii. I own a Wii remote with a motion plus and nunchuck. I modded my wii and ripped the game to my PC in order to play this.

Obviously modding a wii is something Nintendo would like to be illegal bit currently it isn't. Same with ripping your own games. But frankly the only person me playing this game on dolphin effects is me. I get a better experience. I haven't contributed to piracy. I haven't denied the devs any money.

I'm just enjoying their game more than I would playing it on my Wii.

Red

I don't have that problem.

Revision 7719M, Directx11, no AA and 3x Native.

I'm not having any of the DoF problems many others are when enabling AA :[

I guess it just differs system to system, maybe something to do with video drivers. Who knows.

Okay, I've set up Dolphin for Skyward Sword, and I'm doing just great on the audio and visual side. However, I'm encountering an unexpected issue.

I can't save.

I'm not having this problem on any other Wii game except for Skyward Sword, and nothing on the internet is helping.

Tomodachi

I'm thinking about changing my cpu+motherboard (I've got a phenom II X4 840) just to play skyward sword the only way it should be played in frigging 2011. Any suggestion on what should I get?
I'm pretty satisfied with my pc for "standard" pc gaming (skyrim runs pretty good indeed) but I think I should change my cpu with an intel one to get a satisfying performance with dolphin, am I wrong? So far I only tried twilight princess and some gamecube games, they were actually finelooking but I think Skyward will require more power.

Red

Okay, I've set up Dolphin for Skyward Sword, and I'm doing just great on the audio and visual side. However, I'm encountering an unexpected issue.

I can't save.

I'm not having this problem on any other Wii game except for Skyward Sword, and nothing on the internet is helping.
What happens when you try to save?

Tomodachi, SS runs better than TP for me.

grkazan12

I had the same issue until I started doing random things, deleting something along the lines of 'xusb.sys' in I think the system32 folder managed to fix it. I was close to reinstalling Windows though :/.

I'm close to restoring Windows 7, but that can't be the only thing to fix it right. Care to elaborate on what else you did? I'm desperate here.

Aselith

Could someone point me to the program or post that allows game ISOs to be ripped in the Homebrew thread? I don't see anything in the OP or first page and linking to just the thread in general is frankly not too helpful.

DarkKyo

It's not even funny how much better Skyward Sword looks on dolphin compared to the Wii... wtf I feel like I'm missing out playing on the Wii :(

Medalion

Banned
Don't feel so bad, there's a chance you will have to play on both because the game is not quite bug free on Dolphin from what I heard

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's pretty weird, and I agree that posting screens with the wrong aspect ratio should be illegal.

And JPEG compression. I don't know how the UN doesn't find that an intrusion of my rights as a human being.

Zeal

Banned
Don't feel so bad, there's a chance you will have to play on both because the game is not quite bug free on Dolphin from what I heard

hell, i beat it without a single glitch on dolphin. going back to wii and trying to play made me want to vomit.

hell, i beat it without a single glitch on dolphin. going back to wii and trying to play made me want to vomit.

you didn't have issues on the fifth boss? what build did you use? i'd really rather not have to play any of this on the real hardware because my TV hates the Wii.

Nabs

Could someone point me to the program or post that allows game ISOs to be ripped in the Homebrew thread? I don't see anything in the OP or first page and linking to just the thread in general is frankly not too helpful.

Er... it's right there in the Wiki. Just install the USB Loader and it'll let you rip Wii games easily.

What happens when you try to save?

Tomodachi, SS runs better than TP for me.

Well, previously it would just do nothing. Found out that I needed to run Dolphin as administrator. UAC will the death of me.

Anyway, I'm doing okay, although MotionPlus feels really janky for me for some reason.

Gwanatu T

Well, previously it would just do nothing. Found out that I needed to run Dolphin as administrator. UAC will the death of me.

Anyway, I'm doing okay, although MotionPlus feels really janky for me for some reason.

Change out your batteries. Seems like the battery indicator in Dolphin doesn't work right, because that's what happened to me on Wii Sports and then when playing Skyward Sword the first time. Changing my batteries to new ones fixed everything.

Medalion

Banned
Are you serious, the Wiimote battery indicator in Dolphin is wrong?

Fuck I was wondering why my batteries seemed to be draining superfast

So I've been playing through SS on the Dolphin and it's great.

However, I just got the slingshot, and when I point at things to shoot them, the shot seems to go past whatever I'm aiming at. I have to aim somewhere to the left and down from the actual target in order to get it to hit.

Anyone have a similar issue?

Moaradin

So I've been playing through SS on the Dolphin and it's great.

However, I just got the slingshot, and when I point at things to shoot them, the shot seems to go past whatever I'm aiming at. I have to aim somewhere to the left and down from the actual target in order to get it to hit.

Anyone have a similar issue?

I'm having the exact issue. Wonder if anyone found a fix yet.

Aselith

Er... it's right there in the Wiki. Just install the USB Loader and it'll let you rip Wii games easily.

Are you talking about the link that just says http://www.wiibrew.org but then links to a Wiki? Yeah, I found that after figuring out that the information was on a wiki page (when you told me) that linked out from that page and not actually on the page. And I stilled had to search because it's buried in the middle of a bunch of other stuff and also not labeled as a wiki in any way. Do we really need to put that kind of information two links deep and then you have to dig through a wiki to get it?

Does anyone know what could be causing this weird effect? I don't have any settings aside from the defaults BTW
uV2On.jpg

tinypic isn't allowed anymore?

I'm using the official Dolphin 3.0-204 dirty because r7719M runs the game really slow, even with similar settings, for some reason

Seik

Banned
Anybody knows if the Sam & Max's games are working fine with dolphin? I saw season 1 and 'beyond time and space' used in mint condition and I may buy both if all is good. :)

UPDATE: I bought Sam & Max Season one, installed it and tried it...

...without success, the game doesn't even launch on Dolphin. Just a black screen of doom and gloom. I tried many different setting and all of them failed miserably. :/

Medalion

Banned
Does anyone know what could be causing this weird effect? I don't have any settings aside from the defaults BTW
uV2On.jpg

I'm using the official Dolphin 3.0-204 dirty because r7719M runs the game really slow, even with similar settings, for some reason

There are no combination of settings that will get rid of those lines unless you set EFB to RAM but it slows the game down even way more. revision 7719 gets rid of those lines you are seeing in the graphics, I believe the cleaner graphics are worth the slight slowdown, but honestly I think the game runs fine for me and my system is not like others in this thread rocking i7 processors

Utako

Banned
Install Homebrew Channel onto Wii, then load CleanRip onto that SD card and run it from the Homebrew Channel.

Urgh, I hate doing that much mucking about. Maybe I'll just wait for Wii U and hope it includes backward compatibility with 1080p scaling.
"Instead of spending 90 minutes that will assuredly bring me to my goal, all while teaching me some new tricks, I'm going to wait 12 months on the outside chance that someone will do it worse while charging me money for it."

Thoraxes

uV2On.jpg

There's something in that build that is causing that issue. No idea what that is as i'm not a dev.

Nabs

Are you talking about the link that just says http://www.wiibrew.org but then links to a Wiki? Yeah, I found that after figuring out that the information was on a wiki page (when you told me) that linked out from that page and not actually on the page. And I stilled had to search because it's buried in the middle of a bunch of other stuff and also not labeled as a wiki in any way. Do we really need to put that kind of information two links deep and then you have to dig through a wiki to get it?

I was talking about the wiki that's linked every 2 replies. If you use the homebrew thread to mod your wii, you'll figure how to rip your games along the way.

Aselith

I was talking about the wiki that's linked every 2 replies. If you use the homebrew thread to mod your wii, you'll figure how to rip your games along the way.

I don't follow the thread because I don't want to mod my Wii. That was my issue. Telling you to read a giant thread to find out how to do what is presumably a step by step process not something that you do after a few weeks of study is silly. I don't want to fuck with homebrew shit on my Wii because my computer provides all my emulating needs, all I want to do is rip some games and play some Wii games. Fairly easy to provide a link straight to that or detail it in this thread without making people go on a vision quest to learn how to do it. Like a said, I looked at the first page and saw now such links but maybe I glanced over since he didn't even say what you should be looking for.

Anyways, I sent him a PM to ask the OP to clarify things a bit so hopefully it won't be an issue in future.

Top Bottom