• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Urgh, I hate doing that much mucking about. Maybe I'll just wait for Wii U and hope it includes backward compatibility with 1080p scaling.

What you see in here isn't scaling to 1080p. It's actually being rendered at 1080p. There is a massive difference. WiiU is not going to render these games at 1080p through backwards compatibility.

canocha

How's it running? I'm getting really bad audio glitches here. If I switch to LLE they go away, but then the audio is delayed by half a second or so. Any tips?

Try unticking the "Enable Audio Throttle" and set the frame limit manually (Config -> General -> Framelimit -> Limit by FPS)

Im guessing its 30FPS for RE4.

My issues with SMG2 were gone.. dunno if its going to work with RE4.

Diggler

Try unticking the "Enable Audio Throttle" and set the frame limit manually (Config -> General -> Framelimit -> Limit by FPS)

Thanks, no go though ;(

Switching to XAudio2 with LLE fixed the sound delay, but now there is intermittant lag/unresponsiveness in the actual Wiimote. Every time I reload for instance, the cursor stops responding for about a second or so. Probably about as good as I can get the game, and not a huge deal I guess, but would be nice to see this beauty run perfectly. Is definitely my fave version of the game.

Gwanatu T

Is there a simpler guide lol, because I looked at it thinking 'wahhhhh.'

I just wanna make a back up so I can play Zelda using the Dolphin. Watching my sis play atm, very jaggy and poorly defined compared with the Dolphin shots. Would love to play it on Dolphin.

So I need homebrew channel to get it working?

I don't suppose there is a very laymen, straight forward guide out there. Don't want all the emulators and stuff, just want to make a back up and run it through dolphin on computer.

It's really easy, trust me. I'm a tech guy, sure, but it's really just running one file, then running the next and so on. Just make sure you select that you don't want to use it for piracy if it asks you ;).

My issues with SMG2 were gone.. dunno if its going to work with RE4.

SMG2 runs nearly perfectly for me, but it seems like the music is missing in some places. Would LLE fix that?

Thoraxes

Mate did you need to download bluesoliel or whatever it was to get it working? Or did it play straight from the win7 drivers?

Nope, it just played straight from the Win7 drivers. I did not upgrade them to the bluetooth drivers released in July though through Windows Update (as those broke it, but they're really easy to roll back to the old ones if you have upgraded). It works perfectly fine for me, with zero hassle. For Dolphin, I didn't have to do anything to make it work with that; it just worked.

canocha

It's really easy, trust me. I'm a tech guy, sure, but it's really just running one file, then running the next and so on. Just make sure you select that you don't want to use it for piracy if it asks you ;).

SMG2 runs nearly perfectly for me, but it seems like the music is missing in some places. Would LLE fix that?

Yes, but its really CPU heavy!

I overclocked my i5 2500K to 4.4GHz and i still loose a couple of frames here and there!

Medalion

Banned
Moar Mario Galaxy 2, fightin da bawZ

supermariogalaxy2bossm8fao.png

grkazan12

Hey guys I'm using the internal Bluetooth in my P8P67 Pro and it can't find the Wii Remote at all. I uninstalled the motionjoy Bluetooth drivers and the Bluetooth is working fine now, but it just can't discover the Remote. Should I hold down the 1 and 2 buttons or press them individually because I tried it both ways and it still won't find it. I'm using Win 7 64 Bit.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys I'm using the internal Bluetooth in my P8P67 Pro and it can't find the Wii Remote at all. I uninstalled the motionjoy Bluetooth drivers and the Bluetooth is working fine now, but it just can't discover the Remote. Should I hold down the 1 and 2 buttons or press them individually because I tried it both ways and it still won't find it. I'm using Win 7 64 Bit.
Did you install the Atheros BT driver package from Asus's support site? I had Wiimotes working fine with my P8P67 Deluxe when I first put my PC together, then swapped it out for the B3 revision board and had to uninstall then reinstall all of the BT drivers to get Wiimotes to show up again.

Yes, use pairing mode by pushing 1+2 together and use the Windows 7 stack to find it (add a new BT device, pair without using a code).

Mr_Moogle

How well does Sonic Colors run? I'm playing Adventure DX now on Dolphin and planning on doing the same for SA2 and Colors if they both run well.

Edit: I should probably mention that I can't use LLE on my PC.

Currently, my Phenom X3 720 BE @ 3.6 GHz gives me a fluctuating 45-60 FPS in SA DX. 60 solid would be nice, but it's still fully playable for me and a better option than the Steam version.

Sonic Colors runs pretty well but I dont get anywhere near 60 fps. I have it set to 1920x1080 with no AA and I get around 20-25 fps which is pretty much stable. My PC isnt a beast either. My setup is...

i5 750 @ 2.67GHz
Radeon HD 5750
4Gb RAM

I've found most of my Gamecube library runs really well but I'm considering buying a new videocard depending on how Skyward Sword goes when I test it.

Red

Sonic Colors runs pretty well but I dont get anywhere near 60 fps. I have it set to 1920x1080 with no AA and I get around 20-25 fps which is pretty much stable. My PC isnt a beast either. My setup is...

i5 750 @ 2.67GHz
Radeon HD 5750
4Gb RAM

I've found most of my Gamecube library runs really well but I'm considering buying a new videocard depending on how Skyward Sword goes when I test it.

Is Sonic Colors only 30fps? That's still a 33% decrease in performance, not sure it's what I'd classify as "pretty much stable."

Your cpu is what's limiting you here, not your gpu.

Nabs

i5 750 @ 2.67GHz
Radeon HD 5750
4Gb RAM

The game is only supposed to hit 30fps. I'm pretty sure you can get better performance with the right settings. My CPU is a bit better (860), and I can hit 30 with LLE enabled.

edit: A couple notes about Colors

- Make sure you right click the game in Dolphin and select Accurate VBeam Emu. Use LLE if your cpu can handle it. I don't know if these help anything but Cache Display Lists and Skip EFB Access don't seem to hurt the game. Try 'em out if you have an extra second.

DonMigs85

It's amazing how much Wii/GCN games improve by just removing the horrible dithering and image quality that plagued some titles, let alone increasing the resolution.

Soo...which version of Dolphin should I get? I went to the site in the OP and got the "official" one but on the forums there seem to be tons of other versions

Proc

I just brought home the wireless receiver. I am amazed at how far this has come. My smg2 looks fucking fantastic all maxed out on my rig. Im going to go but zelda now. This actually makes me hope the wii has some legs.

hlhbk

Intel Core I7 950 3.0 GHZ
ATI Radeon 5850
OCZ 4 GB PC 1600 RAM

With those specs what kind of performance should I be getting from Dolphin?

Seik

Banned
I just brought home the wireless receiver. I am amazed at how far this has come. My smg2 looks fucking fantastic all maxed out on my rig. Im going to go but zelda now. This actually makes me hope the wii has some legs.

Me too man, I'm mind blown each time I'm playing SMG or Zelda...or Xenoblade or *insert great wii game*. Dolphin really gets the potential out of those games and it just work so damn good (most of the time).

Red

Intel Core I7 950 3.0 GHZ
ATI Radeon 5850
OCZ 4 GB PC 1600 RAM

With those specs what kind of performance should I be getting from Dolphin?

Shouldn't be bad. I have an i7 at 4GHz and a 5870, 100% speed at 4x internal res and 8x AA. Yours is a weaker machine, but I can't imagine you'd get poor performance provided you scaled back some settings.

I assume you are talking about Skyward Sword?

Has anyone managed to run Skyward Sword in 3D?

Every version of Dolphin I've tried thus far results in me staring at the title screen, as I'm unable to get any input device to respond once it's been enabled from the graphics settings.

Every version of Dolphin I've tried thus far results in me staring at the title screen, as I'm unable to get any input device to respond once it's been enabled from the graphics settings.

I was, in 7719m 32bit using sbs output with the iz3d drivers. Ran too slow though.

taoofjord

To be clear, is Skyward Sword playable from beginning to end on Dolphin? And what glitches haven't yet been fixed by tweaking the settings? I'm trying to decide whether getting Dolphin up and running is worthwhile or not.

It works great for me with dx9 and checking the 3d vision box in the options but there's a performance hit and it tends to stutter when hitting enemies unless I knock the native res thing down to 1280. Unfortunately dx9 mode means dodgy shadows.

To be clear, is Skyward Sword playable from beginning to end on Dolphin? And what glitches haven't yet been fixed by tweaking the settings? I'm trying to decide whether getting Dolphin up and running is worthwhile or not.

It was not 100% playable for me.. I was using 7719 x64 in DX 11 mode with the settings suggested earlier in the thread.. and the 5th boss fight was not completable for me.

It would get to a certain stage in the fight and the boss wouldn't do what it was supposed to, so I couldn't continue the fight.

99.99% of the game played fine in Dolphin.. but that one part didn't seem to work right for me.

It was not 100% playable for me.. I was using 7719 x64 in DX 11 mode with the settings suggested earlier in the thread.. and the 5th boss fight was not completable for me.

It would get to a certain stage in the fight and the boss wouldn't do what it was supposed to, so I couldn't continue the fight.

99.99% of the game played fine in Dolphin.. but that one part didn't seem to work right for me.
good to know.

did you get past it and finish it on dolphin? i need to know when i have to transfer my save over to the real hardware.

I beat the whole game from start to finish, the only [very minor] problems I had are:
- Sometime Z-targetting an enemy with drop my fps by like 2 or 3, but restarting Dolphin would eliminate the issue for the session.
- Sword can become out of sync if you swing really wildly and don't use a sensor bar, I had my Wiimote always pointing near the sensor bar so I didn't really have and control issues.

good to know.

did you get past it and play any further? i need to know when i have to transfer my save over to the real hardware.

It may have just been my machine.. but I transferred my save over to the Wii, completed the fight, saved and transferred it back and it was fine.

Ultimately sound glitches on my setup drove me back to using the wii to finish the game. It was almost entirely playable in dolphin for me with a few minor glitches.

I'll be doing dolphin from the beginning when I eventually re-play the game.

It was hard to go back, Dolphin makes it look so much better..

Red

I haven't run into any problems except what looks like texture seams appearing between some areas, and sometimes within shafts of light. A very minor problem. I can upload pics when I get home in a few hours.

Also, and I'm not sure why this is, but SS seems to have a tendency to cause my 5870 to vertical line crash after a couple hours of playing. I wouldn't guess it was a Dolphin problem, except nothing else lately has been causing it. Haven't seen it crash since probably last year's drivers, until now.

So I have an HP Pavilion dv6t, the one with two graphics cards that switch depending on whatever you're doing. For some reason Dolphin only shows the much weaker Intel Integrated graphics card and not the Radeon 6770m which sucks. Anyone else have this issue?

TheExodu5

Banned
Uhhh...BlackBeetle is doing something else to his game. The contrast is way out of whack. It's oversatturated.

At least, I don't remember Skytown or w/e being nearly that colorful.

edit: oh, maybe that's what happens when you take the fog filter off.

Gwanatu T

Unfortunately for me Motionjoy completely broke my Bluetooth stack and I had to reinstall Windows. Good luck to you, but I honestly couldn't get anything working no matter what I did; driver reinstalls, system restore, etc. MJ totally destroyed it for me, I won't EVER touch it again because of that.

Maaseru

Banned
So I'm planning to set up my M+ to play Skyward Sword. Two quick questions, I'm reading the tutorial and it says I need the wirelles sensor bar, but nowhere in the set up does it mention it again. Do I need it, how and for what?

Also any preference on what's the "best" Bluetooth adapter and a good place to get online?

Red

Nevermind, I take back what I said about the game looking better with DOF off lol.

They don't look any different from his old shots. They were awful from the start.

It still looks like he's passing it through a sharpening filter, too.

What kind of beetle is he using? It looks like he's still early, but mine doesn't look anything like that.

Unfortunately for me Motionjoy completely broke my Bluetooth stack and I had to reinstall Windows. Good luck to you, but I honestly couldn't get anything working no matter what I did; driver reinstalls, system restore, etc. MJ totally destroyed it for me, I won't EVER touch it again because of that.
I had the same issue until I started doing random things, deleting something along the lines of 'xusb.sys' in I think the system32 folder managed to fix it. I was close to reinstalling Windows though :/.

They don't look any different from his old shots. They were awful from the start.

It still looks like he's passing it through a sharpening filter, too.

What kind of beetle is he using? It looks like he's still early, but mine doesn't look anything like that.
It's a fully upgraded Beetle from the Scrap Shop. He actually is on New Game+ (aka Hero mode) which lets you transfter over your Bugs/Materials (maybe more?) so he could have upgraded the Beetle quite quickly.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

No the city looks fine without the DOF filter (where he first took shots without it) but the other environments were clearly built with it in mind and they look like shit without it.

thatbox

Banned
So I'm planning to set up my M+ to play Skyward Sword. Two quick questions, I'm reading the tutorial and it says I need the wirelles sensor bar, but nowhere in the set up does it mention it again. Do I need it, how and for what?

Also any preference on what's the "best" Bluetooth adapter and a good place to get online?

You do need some source for two IR points to "calibrate" your Wiimote on SS startup, and then it does seem to help keep it in line the rest of the time as well. I'm simply turning my Wii on and letting it sit on the dashboard to use its bar, but I've gotten away with using the sun when I was too lazy to do even that. Once the game starts, for the most part, you don't need the sensor bar.

Top Bottom