• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

BlackBeetleKing

Neo Member
Tales of Graces
ibtk37UixpwlRC.jpg

imRJSioJqnRb7.jpg

i6Z5gSs3SJcIL.jpg

iboQuOgKlqakbp.jpg

iMMnO8Mm4CV15.jpg

iPQatBj8gGd74.jpg

ita5LGm6N06Zr.jpg

iSQE7ywnKBWaK.jpg

izhSMUq5ZLjmU.jpg

ixnRalw8NS1iW.jpg

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
This emulator is astonishing! New Super Mario Bros looks like a game that was made for HD. Throwing it in higher resolution looks like it was never made to be in 480p to beginwith. And full speed and AA, with no compromises. Wow! Same with Zelda Wind Waker. I was practically speechless.

Did you ever figure out the solution to this? I notice the same in the Zelda games. Turning the right stick is way too fast unless I move my 360 controller a hair.

Also, is there a 360 controller profile for Skyward Sword?

I second this!

ghibli99

Thanks for this thread... gave Dolphin a try for the first time yesterday. Some quirks here and there, but it works surprisingly well right out of the box.

Here's an early shot from the first SMG (2560x1440 downscaled to 1080p):

God, how I wish the Wii U would do this. :(

In general, does Dolphin perform better on AMD or Nvidia cards? Likewise, is there any noticeable bias concerning AMD vs Intel processors?

General concept is that Intel CPU are better, since seems like the performance per core on the bulldozer arquitecture is shit. At least that is what I saw on their forums, don't know if its true.

Regarding of GPU I think it dosn't really matter, any mid range GPU should suffice since Dolphin relies way more on the CPU. Any decent GPU can give you a high boost on IQ.

Just now trying out dolphin. Re-started Windwaker as my gamecube is packed up.

all I can say is WOW. The game is simply stunning to see without all the blur and low res GC rendering.

I've got everything maxed out in settings. Will play around with nvidia inspector tonight.

6OYRs.png

Only real issue with the game aside from the pictobox not working is that the heat refractions like in the dragon roost island dungeon, the screen is all choppy looking and there's a wierd graphical glitch looking at stuff next to smoke/torches.

I've also got twilight princess and I'm seeing a lot of stuff about that here in this thread but I'm wondering if it can be played without a wii mote connected? I remmember reading something about using a gamecube controller but when I load up the rom, it stays at the wii-mote screen :/

all I can say is WOW. The game is simply stunning to see without all the blur and low res GC rendering.

I've got everything maxed out in settings. Will play around with nvidia inspector tonight.

6OYRs.png

Only real issue with the game aside from the pictobox not working is that the heat refractions like in the dragon roost island dungeon, the screen is all choppy looking and there's a wierd graphical glitch looking at stuff next to smoke/torches.

Heat effects are broken in Dolphin , I think you can disable them altogether. Also your pic is stretched, you're forcing 16:9 but to get true widescreen you hace to check the box in Graphics -> Advanced -> Widescreen hack

There is a huge fucking difference in and amd Intel cpus.
Gpus not as much

This. Wii and PS2 emulation only need a recent mid-level card... They don't use a lot of shader effects or anything. For example, I can get GCN games (Mario Sunshine for example) running full speed at native res on my laptop's built in 4250...

The games are MUCH more CPU limiting... but even then, if you get a top of the line AMD or Intel system, both will play games full speed (with overclocking at least).

Relaxed Muscle: Heat effects work fine, you just have to change some settings (enabling framebuffer effects if I remember right, though it runs a little slow and is off by default) and turn off any sort off widescreen hack if you have it on (causes weird issues as well)

Heat effects are broken in Dolphin , I think you can disable them altogether. Also your pic is stretched, you're forcing 16:9 but to get true widescreen you hace to check the box in Graphics -> Advanced -> Widescreen hack

Ah. thanks for that. I'll check that out after work. I knew it was stretched but thought it was my only option. ..must have missed the widescreen hack option.

I had a 720 Phenom ii x3 @ 3.5, and my new i5 3570k at 4.2 runs circles around it

Phenom 2 is a three year old chip, and you're comparing it to a 3 month old chip at higher clock rates.

If you got the latest AMD chipset (Vishera based, not Zambezi) which are clocked at 4ghz and can overclock to 5ghz+ you won't have any problems playing games on dolphin either ;)

I'm not saying that the latest intel hardware wouldn't still be better, but either one will get just about every game playable (and any that don't probably won't play full speed on either)

Fastredponycar: As I said, the fire graphics aren't broken, they just require a tweak of settings that MAY cause some slowdown if your PC isn't up to it, it also doesn't work with the widescreen hack because it's a framebuffer effect that outputs at a fixed 4:3 width (and resolution)

Coconut

Banned

6OYRs.png

I've also got twilight princess and I'm seeing a lot of stuff about that here in this thread but I'm wondering if it can be played without a wii mote connected? I remmember reading something about using a gamecube controller but when I load up the rom, it stays at the wii-mote screen :/

Something is off in that image.

Rufus

my motherboard didn't have that option to unlock any cores.

I was running an AM3 cpu on a AM2+ mobo, lol
Unlocking another core wouldn't have helped Dolphin anyway, because it only ever uses two afaik.

I still am. Switched to a Phenom II 965 a few months ago. You really notice the additional core in some games (Battlefield 3, for instance).

ector

Neo Member
Great to see how popular Dolphin still is :)

Just here to say that Dolphin's official homepage is now www.dolphin-emu.org. For annoying historical reasons the team hasn't had control over the other one.

So please update any links, thanks!

/ector - co-founder of Dolphin

jediyoshi

Just here to say that Dolphin's official homepage is now www.dolphin-emu.org. For annoying historical reasons the team hasn't had control over the other one.

What's going to happen to the wiki? I've got some updating to do on my site ]: Probably serves me right for manually writing out my album pages

edit: ah i see, just a domain change

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Thanks for the heads up, I changed the URL. Amazing work over the years BTW.

Unlocking another core wouldn't have helped Dolphin anyway, because it only ever uses two afaik.

Not true... Go to video plugin settings, go to hacks, enable "OpenMP Texture Decoder". This enabled an extra core for helping decode textures. It's not a massive boost, but it's still an extra 10-15% in most games. It's off be default because it CAN cause problems, but I've yet to see a game that's reacted badly (played all the zeldas, Mario galaxy, Mario sunshine, Kirby RTD, etc all with no problems at all).

You can also put audio on a seperate thread, but the cost to timing is so great that it's a terrible idea to do so.

(edit)Tess: Actually, for cost the latest AMD Visherna based processors are back to beating intel's in a lot of tests. Intel still wins single thread tests most times but AMD is getting to be a little less pathetic ;)

6OYRs.png

half of the bro's head is missing

Chris R

half of the bro's head is missing

He has a blue hat on :p

Still trying to get Xenoblade working perfectly, would be able to get it if I just stuck too it instead of trying for an hour once a week, I end up forgetting what I've tried before when it comes to tweaks.

Jtrizzy

Still painful that Rogue squadron GCN games aren't emulated. I ended up buying one today just to play them. They would look so good in 1080p. I was looking at the GC component cable but it's like $100 and I doubt it would make a big difference on my plasma. I may hook it up to an old 4x3 tv.

Grief.exe

I'm about to emulate animal crossing city folk and let my gf play it to see if she likes it.

Looking at the wiki it looks like any version should work fine.

Anyone have any advice or a particular version that works well? Maybe some 360 custom buttons.

Jawmuncher

Got a new computer and I can't wait to play some wii games on Dolphin.
Especially Xenoblade which I imported before I knew it was coming to America.

Top Bottom