• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

The problem I have with most HD texture packs is the fact that while more detailed, they also completely ignore the macro look of the game. Just adding detail to a texture does not result in a better looking game when the texture isn't meshing with the geometrical detail.

This one seems to have similar problems in parts (especially Link) but stuff like the rock formations actually look quite nice and mesh well with the actual geometry, while other stuff like the rock surface in the fire dungeon just looks like static.

Is the wiimote required to play The Last Story?

No, you can use the pro controller, or any other controller really since the game doesn't rely on motion controls at all.

If I don't OC and want to run the games at 1080P will it be possible?

Resolution has nothing to do with CPU speed, that's pure GPU and as long as your GPU is mid-level from the last couple years you should be able to do 1080p just fine (I run on a 5770 for example and can play Skyward Sword at 1080p). The problem comes if your CPU isn't fast enough to emulate the system, then it doesn't matter if it's 1080p, or 480p, you'll get the same slowdowns.

Thank you for this! :D I'm getting locked 60fps in Super Mario Galaxy with this revision in the bunny tutorial galaxy and that's with a 3.2ghz Phenom II and DSP LLE o.o Of course I know this probably won't stay this way in bigger galaxies but it's progress! :)

Out of curiousity what were you getting before that?

Out of curiousity what were you getting before that?

Hmm anything between 30-50 fps, DSP LLE was totally not viable for me before that build :(
Of course even with the new build it started to stutter and dip into the 40-50 fps area once I moved away from the start-planet but a 15fps increase alone on the first mini-planet is impressive :D

And 94% speed in Xenoblade out of battle with LLE, really not bad for my Phenom :p Also as expected I get 100% 25fps all the time now in Xenoblade with HLE though obviously with the audio-corruption happening, if only someone could add the Xenoblade HLE patch into this build :(

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
wow that's crazy good for a phenom II at 3.2 :O even my i7 at 4.7 had times with drops in SMG and dsp lle.

wow that's crazy good for a phenom II at 3.2 :O even my i7 at 4.7 had times with drops in SMG and dsp lle.

No no you probably get me wrong, before false rumors start spreading my 60fps with DSP LLE was limited to the bunny-chase area only, anywhere else I would still have anything between 40-50fps :(

So would I potentially get better speed out of rev 784 than I would from rev 789, the latest build?

I wasn't even aware that there is a 789 already o.o I guess unless they undid some improvements 789 should be the same as 784 if not better though it's always a hit or miss with revisions as Dolphins main-developers don't want speed but accuracy :/

MASB

I wasn't even aware that there is a 789 already o.o I guess unless they undid some improvements 789 should be the same as 784 if not better though it's always a hit or miss with revisions as Dolphins main-developers don't want speed but accuracy :/

That's great considering most emu developers standards of 'accuracy'. There's a reason some emus like MAME and bsnes have such a good reputation, because they're meant to reproduce the original hardware/software as much as possible (which takes a lot of power).

That's not to say it doesn't sometimes suck for the end users like us, but there's always a battle between accuracy and speed. And for the most part, I prefer accuracy because PCs will always get faster and what was unplayable a year or two ago suddenly becomes so as technology advances. But if a emu isn't coded for accuracy and documentation, a faster PC won't magically make it so.

tiku

Hmm anything between 30-50 fps, DSP LLE was totally not viable for me before that build :(
Of course even with the new build it started to stutter and dip into the 40-50 fps area once I moved away from the start-planet but a 15fps increase alone on the first mini-planet is impressive :D

And 94% speed in Xenoblade out of battle with LLE, really not bad for my Phenom :p Also as expected I get 100% 25fps all the time now in Xenoblade with HLE though obviously with the audio-corruption happening, if only someone could add the Xenoblade HLE patch into this build :(

Try to click Vbeam option at game's properties with HLE, it solved most of the problems for me (only the intro had audio corruption) :)

http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/source/list

Active projects like dolphin and pcsx2 usually get updates every few hours. The link above is their source page so you can see what the latest revisions change (and get an idea if it's worth tracking down the latest compiled code or to wait till it's more stable)

(edit) Just an addition to this, was reading through the comments on the speed up commit, they are unlikely to undue anything because this speed boost doesn't effect accuracy. This was literally just an optimization to how vertex buffers are handled on the CPU, it has nothing to do with any changes or hacks to emulation to get it faster.

The only complaint there really seems to be about it is that the guy who did the commits did it on the master SVN instead of a branch.

Hm. I'm not too sure, then. You can use the Win+P shortcut to make switching between displays a little less painful, if you haven't tried it yet. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

I didn't think of seeing if Win-P would things any easier, I'll have to try that out next time. Thanks man.

That's great considering most emu developers standards of 'accuracy'. There's a reason some emus like MAME and bsnes have such a good reputation, because they're meant to reproduce the original hardware/software as much as possible (which takes a lot of power).

That's not to say it doesn't sometimes suck for the end users like us, but there's always a battle between accuracy and speed. And for the most part, I prefer accuracy because PCs will always get faster and what was unplayable a year or two ago suddenly becomes so as technology advances. But if a emu isn't coded for accuracy and documentation, a faster PC won't magically make it so.

Hmm I understand where you are coming from. I mean they do this project in their free-time as a hobby to emulate the Wii and Gamecube primarily and not to give us the option to play the games we own on a PC for the sake of better image-quality. What you say about hardware getting faster all the time and thus accuracy being better is true of course I just wish someone would maintain a "speed branch" separate from the main branch where accuracy is scaled back a bit to make popular games work faster until more mainstream CPUs are able to do it with the main branch. Though this is also additional work which someone would have to do and I know it isn't easy :(

Well I guess I should just place my TV somewhere else so it isn't annoying to game on it... xD

Try to click Vbeam option at game's properties with HLE, it solved most of the problems for me (only the intro had audio corruption) :)

Oh thanks :D Though should I put Vbeam to on or off from the default setting?

http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/source/list

Active projects like dolphin and pcsx2 usually get updates every few hours. The link above is their source page so you can see what the latest revisions change (and get an idea if it's worth tracking down the latest compiled code or to wait till it's more stable)

(edit) Just an addition to this, was reading through the comments on the speed up commit, they are unlikely to undue anything because this speed boost doesn't effect accuracy. This was literally just an optimization to how vertex buffers are handled on the CPU, it has nothing to do with any changes or hacks to emulation to get it faster.

The only complaint there really seems to be about it is that the guy who did the commits did it on the master SVN instead of a branch.

Thanks for this too, I was aware of the build-bot and the fast progress of Dolphin I just thought that the build posted here was recent and haven't looked into the SVN as this sounded like a major update anyway. And it's great to hear the speed-boost will most likely stay, that actually gives me hope for further optimization without them sacrificing their accuracy as I know speedhacks and such are generally detested and I understand why :)

tiku

Oh thanks :D Though should I put Vbeam to on or off from the default setting?

You should put Vbeam to on, it helped me a lot, and now i guess it's working better :)

@Ledsen: Nah, they deleted comments of a discussion between devs. I don't think it's a place for that, basically.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gonna head through Resident Evil 4 in Dolphin. Gave it a quick go. I can keep a basically perfect 30fps with 1920x1080, 16x AF, and 9x SSAA. So yay for that. Two questions:

1) Anything else I should know/do before starting?
and 2) Is there any way to decrease the acceleration of my 360 pad?

On the latter point, I noticed it with GoldenEye too. It's like, the sticks accelerate to maximum speed without having to tilt them very far. It's quite annoying, as to do smaller, slower movements I have to be really careful and precise with the stick.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Do you mind me asking what kind of rig you have? I think I'm going to buy the Wii Edition and try this out.

i5 2500K overclocked to 4.3Ghz. 8GB RAM. GTX 570 factory OC'd.

I mean, the game lags ever so slightly now and then, which would be fixed by dropping anti-aliasing down to 4xSSAA. And I don't know if the performance goes to shit later. But it's otherwise stable and looks fantastic.

Fantasmo

This emulator is astonishing! New Super Mario Bros looks like a game that was made for HD. Throwing it in higher resolution looks like it was never made to be in 480p to beginwith. And full speed and AA, with no compromises. Wow! Same with Zelda Wind Waker. I was practically speechless.

Gonna head through Resident Evil 4 in Dolphin. Gave it a quick go. I can keep a basically perfect 30fps with 1920x1080, 16x AF, and 9x SSAA. So yay for that. Two questions:

1) Anything else I should know/do before starting?
and 2) Is there any way to decrease the acceleration of my 360 pad?

On the latter point, I noticed it with GoldenEye too. It's like, the sticks accelerate to maximum speed without having to tilt them very far. It's quite annoying, as to do smaller, slower movements I have to be really careful and precise with the stick.

Did you ever figure out the solution to this? I notice the same in the Zelda games. Turning the right stick is way too fast unless I move my 360 controller a hair.

Also, is there a 360 controller profile for Skyward Sword?

jediyoshi

Link's model textures look weird with all those bright splotches, otherwise it looks alright. TP was never going to look all that great at 720p though anyway, some of those polygons'll poke your eyes out.

Outside of proper handed link, I'm not sure why you'd go with GC TP either. I'd take 16:9 vanilla over a modded 4:3 one, not that the Wii version is unmoddable either way.

tlstls

Banned
Some new photos of the Zelda TP HD project, Link has new textures.

Dolphinexe_2012-10-29-14-36-55-435.jpg

Dolphinexe_2012-10-29-14-32-50-869.jpg

Santiako

Instead of saying it's ugly, why don't you try to explain why?

You're hurting the work of the guy behind all this, would you like if I was to tell your work 'look pretty ugly'? I think you would not.

It does look pretty ugly though, it looks like it's made of straw. The rest looks ace.

hlhbk

Holy crap other than Xenoblade Chronicles the new version of Dolphin freaking rules! I am now considering buying a sensor bar for my pc! What is the best (and hopefully not to expensive) sensor bar. I am running win 7 btw.

Holy crap other than Xenoblade Chronicles the new version of Dolphin freaking rules! I am now considering buying a sensor bar for my pc! What is the best (and hopefully not to expensive) sensor bar. I am running win 7 btw.

Doesn't matter what version of windows you are on for sensor bars... They are just 2 LEDs on a stick, it's pretty hard for anyone to f those up.

Ledsen

Doesn't matter what version of windows you are on for sensor bars... They are just 2 LEDs on a stick, it's pretty hard for anyone to f those up.

It's pretty easy, the ones you get on Ebay have such weak LEDs that they basically don't work unless you're 1m from the TV in a perfectly dark room.

Zeliard

This emulator is astonishing! New Super Mario Bros looks like a game that was made for HD. Throwing it in higher resolution looks like it was never made to be in 480p to beginwith. And full speed and AA, with no compromises. Wow! Same with Zelda Wind Waker. I was practically speechless.

Have you tried Mario Galaxy? First time I ran it on Dolphin at a high internal resolution my jaw was hanging down to my toes for a good while. Every game will look better at a higher internal res but the Mario Galaxy games are something else. The contrast was particularly striking to me since I first played through Mario Galaxy 1 via the Wii.

Top Bottom