• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Beckx

I haven't been able to get the texture pack working, either. I plan on revisiting it at a later date to see if I can figure it out, but even following the instructions from the actual thread where they were released I couldn't get the pack working in Dolphin 3.0 or 3.5.

Thanks - it's good hear that someone else is having the same issue. I'm not going to worry with it for now, then.

1stStrike

Banned
if I were to buy a laptop to play dolphin, is i5 enough?

Yes, though some games are more demanding than others. Without overclocking it you will probably not be able to run games on max settings, and there will be some that may have issues due to lack of CPU power.

For example, Xenoblade shouldn't be played on anything below 3.2 GHz and for maximum performance/stability, 3.7 GHz and above is recommended.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
if I were to buy a laptop to play dolphin, is i5 enough?

That's doubtful. Not if you want to run anything at 60fps, at least. I've got a laptop with an i7 3.6 (turboboost or whatever), 650M, and 16gb of ram, and I barely get fullspeed on some Wii games. Others, like Mario Galaxy 2, I can't even play.

It might be able to play GameCube though.

Lime

That's an in-game setting. There's nothing in Dolphin to turn motion blur on/off. If you don't have the option in-game to disable it, then you're stuck with it.

Thanks for the reply. I assumed something could be changed by applying some sort of rendering box that I needed to tick under Advanced.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Xenoblade is running & looking great (fixed the audio issues after a few searches), but I have one problem. I downloaded the texture pack for Xbox icons and put it in the right folder (users/load/textures/< game id >, and enabled texture packs under Advanced settings in the graphics config, but they won't show up in game. I'm still seeing the Wii controller icons.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

Do the filenames of all the images themselves match the game ID as well? If not, there's a program in the HD retexture thread on the Dolphin forums that can rename them in a batch.

I just got the PS3 button prompts working and am making my way through XC for the first time... so the installation process is still fresh in my mind. :p

My cheap Amazon Bluetooth Dongle is no longer working and is "unrecognized device" whenever it's plugged into my windows 7...

Anyone have any other Bluetooth Dongle/Adapter to hook up a Nintendo Wii controller to a PC, that will last and won't be shit quality hardware? Suggestions would be appreciated.

1stStrike

Banned
Do the filenames of all the images themselves match the game ID as well? If not, there's a program in the HD retexture thread on the Dolphin forums that can rename them in a batch.

I just got the PS3 button prompts working and am making my way through XC for the first time... so the installation process is still fresh in my mind. :p

Ah, that's what I was missing. My ISO is SX4E01 so just had to rename them.

Should make the next play through better with the higher res textures, though they of course don't cover everything.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
My cheap Amazon Bluetooth Dongle is no longer working and is "unrecognized device" whenever it's plugged into my windows 7...

Anyone have any other Bluetooth Dongle/Adapter to hook up a Nintendo Wii controller to a PC, that will last and won't be shit quality hardware? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Have you tried plugging it into a different USB port? sometimes that helps.

Have you tried plugging it into a different USB port? sometimes that helps.

yup, tried two other PCs and they both get the same "Device was unrecognized". i think maybe its just "you get what you pay for" it was like 4 bucks. I'll buy like 3 more today unless I can find 1 good one for under 20 bucks that wont crap out and is dolphin/Wii Remote compatible.

Beckx

Hmm, I will check that, thanks much!

Edit: yep, that was it. For future searchers - while the file names for the icons matched the Game ID in the game's properties, I had renamed the game's .iso, and that was the problem. Once I renamed the .iso to match, everything worked fine. Moral: don't rename the .iso files.

BYk.png

LukeTim

Okay, so I am thinking about selling my Wii in order to raise funds for a Wii U, but I still want to be able to play my GC games. So I am going to look into this Dolphin Emulator as a way of continuing my ability to play my GC library.

I just had one question, and that is whether there are any guides or ways (even hacky ones with soldering irons) to retrieve the save games from my GC memory cards to use with the emulator. Is this even a possibility?

MLH

Okay, so I am thinking about selling my Wii in order to raise funds for a Wii U, but I still want to be able to play my GC games. So I am going to look into this Dolphin Emulator as a way of continuing my ability to play my GC library.

I just had one question, and that is whether there are any guides or ways (even hacky ones with soldering irons) to retrieve the save games from my GC memory cards to use with the emulator. Is this even a possibility?

Yes you can, you need a HBC enabled Wii, and a program called GameCube/Wii Memory Manager (GCMM 1.4 by suloku).
Run the program to backup your saves into .gci format, which will save to an SD card, then transfer to your PC where you can import the saves using Dolphin.

catabarez

I have a Gameshark memory card with a mini USB port on it.

Chris R

Has xenoblade HD texturepack has been completed?

That would be nice to know for me as well, setting up Dolphin 3.5 this weekend and this is one of the games I'm going to actually play this time (got a wireless sensor bar yesterday!)

And another Xenoblade question, does anyone know of a different source for the 360 icon pack that isn't hosted by a download site that makes you log in?

1stStrike

Banned
Has xenoblade HD texturepack has been completed?

They've stated that it will most likely never be fully complete, but they've done a lot of the textures in the game. It's a huge undertaking to try and replace -all- of the textures in Xenoblade since it's such a huge game, and contributions have all been by volunteers thus far. The last update was a few months ago too.

Nilaul

They've stated that it will most likely never be fully complete, but they've done a lot of the textures in the game. It's a huge undertaking to try and replace -all- of the textures in Xenoblade since it's such a huge game, and contributions have all been by volunteers thus far. The last update was a few months ago too.

Well as long as the cliff textures are fixed :p, If not, I might give creating textures a go. :)

Sykotik

I just recently started playing Xenoblade on Dolphin. It runs mostly well, but it has quite a bit of.. frame-rate jitter, I guess you would call it. My system shouldn't be a problem, unless it's my 7970, which seems to always be the case.

The texture pack makes it look pretty damn good, for the most part. But, textures that aren't re-done tend to stick out like a sore thumb, as well as re-done textures that are surrounded by vanilla textures. There are some bugs, such as invisible textures, and dolphin sometimes forgets I told it to make the game look pretty and switches to native resolution between scenes, but resetting it typically fixes it.

There was also that time dolphin froze and I forgot to save...

For the most part, it's a great experience, though.

Chris R

Awesome! Thanks a bunch for that, no idea how I got this file earlier but I know for sure I didn't sign up with that download site to grab it when I did a few months back.

edit: Minor sound issue and backwards accept/cancel buttons (well, not backwards, just Japanese) but other than that the game is looking great. I should be able to get those issues ironed out in a bit though.

LukeTim

Yes you can, you need a HBC enabled Wii, and a program called GameCube/Wii Memory Manager (GCMM 1.4 by suloku).
Run the program to backup your saves into .gci format, which will save to an SD card, then transfer to your PC where you can import the saves using Dolphin.

Thanks! I'll look into that.

1stStrike

Banned
Awesome! Thanks a bunch for that, no idea how I got this file earlier but I know for sure I didn't sign up with that download site to grab it when I did a few months back.

edit: Minor sound issue and backwards accept/cancel buttons (well, not backwards, just Japanese) but other than that the game is looking great. I should be able to get those issues ironed out in a bit though.

I highly recommend using the HLE patch (or the pre-patched client) for Xenoblade. I rolled with the pre-patched 3.0 client and played the game with no audio issues.

If you're interested, I posted relevant links and my settings here.

Chris R

I highly recommend using the HLE patch (or the pre-patched client) for Xenoblade. I rolled with the pre-patched 3.0 client and played the game with no audio issues.

If you're interested, I posted relevant links and my settings here.

I fixed the sound issue by disabling idle skipping and making sure that accurate vBeam was enabled. Had the sound issue popping up within 5-10 mins without those settings and not at all after about an hour or so. I'll check your post for other settings though, I guess I could probably crank the settings up even more since the game is capped at 30 fps.

Musiol

I've got a question to people. I've got Lenovo y580 laptop (i5, 8GB RAM, GTX660M) and will it be possible to emulate Gamecube/Wii games with stable FPS?

Spongebob

Banned
I've got a question to people. I've got Lenovo y580 laptop (i5, 8GB RAM, GTX600M) and will it be possible to emulate Gamecube/Wii games with stable FPS?

Typo? Pretty sure the y580 comes with a GTX660m.

I think emulation should be pretty good with that.

Nilaul

Got this:
However camera control is really painful (mouse movement replace right stick). Anyway to make it more sensitive?

Edit: Dam it! I accidently turned off xenoblade while playing it, it seems that the mouse actually functions properly while playing a game... gah.

Edit: Playing it with my keyboard and mouse is becoming suddenly way better then classic wiimote and nunchunk.

What does camera performance modifier do?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Got this:

However camera control is really painful (mouse movement replace right stick). Anyway to make it more sensitive?

Edit: Dam it! I accidently turned off xenoblade while playing it, it seems that the mouse actually functions properly while playing a game... gah.

Edit: Playing it with my keyboard and mouse is becoming suddenly way better then classic wiimote and nunchunk.

What does camera performance modifier do?

interesting setup. I started playing Xenoblade on dolphin the other day, using a gamepad though.

but just looking over your config, maybe you'd want to map the mouse's wheel to d-pad left and right? That way you could easily scroll through the menu and select stuff while playing. Could be convenient in battles too.

Another idea is to have mouse 2 as the camera button (I believe it's ZL in the game?) and maybe there's a way to map the mouse wheel to A and B in order to zoom in and out in this situation*. Also make sure to set the game's camera settings to their fastest/most sensitive in Xenoblade's menu, and invert axis if needed.

Other than that you need a Y button and looks like you're good to go.

edit: I played around with it a bit, here are settings I found useful. Notice that instead of assigning Axis Y-&Axis Y- for the camera, which does nothing for me, I assigned Axis Y-^Axis Y- which adds up the signal and makes the camera move faster. I think this is what you're looking for.

*this is possible in dolphin, but having played around a bit I don't think it's worth the trouble. Using mouse 0 and mouse 1 here is good enough, it's not like zooming in and out is done that often.

Papu

I switched Nunchuk with Classic Controller in the Wiimote options for Xenoblade. Works perfect for me using the X360 Pad, no more camera issues.

Alright. I have tried and tried again to get this working...

Does anyone know how to get the mouse and keyboard working on the mac and macbook pro for the OSX version?

gotee12

I fixed the sound issue by disabling idle skipping and making sure that accurate vBeam was enabled. Had the sound issue popping up within 5-10 mins without those settings and not at all after about an hour or so. I'll check your post for other settings though, I guess I could probably crank the settings up even more since the game is capped at 30 fps.
I've got to try that. The latest Dolphin build plays XB sooo much faster/smoother than my HLE patched build. Of course I've yet to find a way to keep the audio from skipping without an HLE patched build. Your post gives me hope!

BasilZero

Is there a way to play Wiimote only games with a keyboard/PS3 controller via MotionJoy or do I really need a bluetooth dongle D:!?

Top Bottom