• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

jediyoshi

Is there a way to play Wiimote only games with a keyboard/PS3 controller via MotionJoy or do I really need a bluetooth dongle D:!?

Wiimote button on the toolbar -> next Wiimote 1 select Emulated Wiimote -> Configure -> Under Device select DInput/0/Keyboard Mouse and you can bind your keyboard/mouse

If your PS3 controller is already set up, then you just need to select whatever it shows up as under the device dropdown and the binding process is the same

BasilZero

Wiimote button on the toolbar -> next Wiimote 1 select Emulated Wiimote -> Configure -> Under Device select DInput/0/Keyboard Mouse and you can bind your keyboard/mouse

If your PS3 controller is already set up, then you just need to select whatever it shows up as under the device dropdown and the binding process is the same

Thanks however I get this message when playing a game....

"Please disconnect the unsupported external extension controller from the Wii Remote"

o_O?

EDIT: Oh what the...nvm I had to turn off extension LOL, works now..lets see...

insert beautiful Skyward Sword images

I can't ever seem to get the settings right. Is there ANY chance you can zip/rar/7z up your entire dolphin folder (sans any ISOs or BIOs or anything illegitimate) and upload it somewhere for me? I bought the limited edition version of the game but haven't played through it yet because I'm waiting for a better opportunity than SD.

Just like all of BlackBeetleKing's shots, I think they're way oversharpened for my tastes. Game doesn't need SweetFX, it looks gorgeous already.

Chris R

What might cause a game to freeze but allow the audio to keep on playing? I had this happen to me tonight when playing Xenoblade and while I only lost ~15 mins of gameplay I want to see if I can't prevent it from happening again so I don't constantly save all the time.

I've got to try that. The latest Dolphin build plays XB sooo much faster/smoother than my HLE patched build. Of course I've yet to find a way to keep the audio from skipping without an HLE patched build. Your post gives me hope!

Well maybe don't try my solution, freezing sucks! Granted I've only had a freeze once in ~4 hours of playing but it shouldn't happen at all. If it continues to occur I guess I'll just swap back and live with the sound glitch.

tiku

That's Wind Waker HD that Nintendo should have announced for WiiU instead of the "bloom edition".

Dolphin with just a re-redenrize makes it look really gorgeus.

Stylo

That's Wind Waker HD that Nintendo should have announced for WiiU instead of the "bloom edition".

Dolphin with just a re-redenrize makes it look really gorgeus.

Why? The Dolphin version would always trump it image quality wise..

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Really nice pictures, but you spoiled some stuff for me. I am only three hours in.

But damn, I really need a new pc. Still waiting for Haswell and Radeon 8000 though.

Any reason you're not going for Nvidia? They really seem to be ahead in terms of Graphics cards right now. I'm waiting on the 7xx line to updgrade my card.

Why? The Dolphin version would always trump it image quality wise..

That's not really true. It all depends on the system you're playing on. You can say that theoretically it'll look better, but quite a lot of people don't have systems capable of making it look great.

ASIS

Those WW are meh at best, I mean they are good but it doesn't have the next-gen bloom effect. Nope, none at all, no dice.

elektrixx

Banned
Any reason you're not going for Nvidia? They really seem to be ahead in terms of Graphics cards right now. I'm waiting on the 7xx line to updgrade my card.

That's not really true. It all depends on the system you're playing on. You can say that theoretically it'll look better, but quite a lot of people don't have systems capable of making it look great.

By the time Wind Waker HD releases, Dolphin would have improved and the price of running it on PC will be cheaper (I hope!).

It will be interesting to see Digital Foundry and the like put these to the test but even before then we're gonna find out Wind Waker HD runs at 720p or something dumb. I can't trust Nintendo to do it right.

1stStrike

Banned
Woo, I finally got my capture card yesterday. Now I can actually stream the games I play on Dolphin without my PC choking at all the CPU usage (since the capture card handles the encoding).

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Does WindWaker work properly? ( other than the fire distortion thingy )

Dina

Here guys, new Dolphin user here. When I try to use my Xbox 360 controller to play Wii games, I have trouble getting the emulated Wiimote to work. I mean, it works, but for some reason the Wii-pointer (mapped to my second Xbox 360 stick) only covers about half of the screen. Any known workarounds to this?

edit: got it working now

Red

BlackBeetleKing is still fucking up his images after taking them. It's been years. What is up with that guy

I love it... he goes out of his way to take the worst angles, usually with a terrible aspect ratio, then oversharpens the pics.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Been scouring around to find a definitive answer and can't seem to find one. Do I need to create a new memory card for each game to save? If I don't, I get the "memory card is corrupted" message while loading a different game.

Ledsen

BlackBeetleKing is still fucking up his images after taking them. It's been years. What is up with that guy

I love it... he goes out of his way to take the worst angles, usually with a terrible aspect ratio, then oversharpens the pics.

He only does it to annoy people. When he read your post he sniggered and took a sip of Coke.

Mileena

Banned
Any way to fix the Xenoblade crackling audio? I get the same performance on 1x native and 2x native but the sound is still choppy on both.

Pro

Has anybody tried this with REmake yet?

REmake and RE0 both run perfectly and look really good on Dolphin. It was fun playing through both of those again at a High Resolution with AA and everything.

They need to get a fully functional Code Veronica though. Been craving that but still not good on Dolphin yet.

Beckx

Any way to fix the Xenoblade crackling audio? I get the same performance on 1x native and 2x native but the sound is still choppy on both.

Yes, there are a couple of settings you can change to fix 99% of the audio issues (at least it did for me). I won't be able to check for hours, though - you might be able to find them by searching the dolphin emu forums. Two settings in the game's preferences (the preference settings you get from right clicking the game title) that you need to change.

1stStrike

Banned

What's your FPS in-game and how is your CPU looking while you're running it? If you're maxing out your CPU, or your frame rate is unstable, then there's not much that can be done in that regard.

Tookay

The worst part is that people are praising his shots for it.

here are some WW shots I took from dolphin like 2 years ago stored on my computer.

ZkbOGlY.jpg

5kwb4bY.jpg

pRNgGQI.jpg

t4SRKAj.jpg

b4YGukR.jpg

Guiberu

I think it's probably worth updating the OP at some point to include a brief blurb about the use of doing some research on specific Dolphin builds and settings profiles for each or any game they're having trouble with.

Whilst sometimes it's the lack of power in a machine that stops games running - equally it can be the fault of a revision to Dolphin breaking / changing something that may be in earlier versions, modded versions, or patched versions and required to play your specific game correctly.

I've not managed to find any game that isn't playable and running to a high level of both quality and speed if you can find the right revision, and my system is only an i3 2120 / 6670 combo. Xenoblade runs flawlessly with the right build. As does Galaxy 2.

Although to be fair, these days I'm usually playing Kirby's Return To Dreamland with my 5 year old daughter :3

Pro

I've not managed to find any game that isn't playable and running to a high level of both quality and speed if you can find the right revision, and my system is only an i3 2120 / 6670 combo.

There's definitely a bunch. My gripe is RE: Code Veronica. In the Dolphin revision that actually runs it, it's all green tinted and doesn't work right. Rouge Squadron isn't real playable either from what I understand.

Grokbu

I currently have a XFX HD6950 2GB GPU that I bought last year, and I'm planning on upgrading my CPU to a 3570k in the upcomming months, and hopefully OC it to about 4.4GHz. Does anyone have any clue as to what internal res and SSAA I might be able to use in SMG 2 without having my 6950 bottleneck?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
REmake and RE0 both run perfectly and look really good on Dolphin. It was fun playing through both of those again at a High Resolution with AA and everything

Keep in mind tough that since all the backgrounds are prerendered, this game won't see nearly as big of a IQ boost as most other games would from rendering at a higher resolution.

The character models will look way sharper, but the actual locations will still be low res.

Red

Super Mario Galaxy remains my pick for most-improved by Dolphin.

Wind Waker is a good looking game, but even in HD it doesn't look great in stills. Its charm comes from animation.

I think SS ends up gaining much more from the extra pixels and AA.

khaaan

Would a few people mind posting specs of their rig? I'm thinking of building a PC dedicated to being a "all in one console" box so I can declutter the pile of Wii/Gamecube/PS2/PSX/etc. slowly taking over the living room. Ideally I'd like to get the game running at 1080p with some form of AA.

Would a few people mind posting specs of their rig? I'm thinking of building a PC dedicated to being a "all in one console" box so I can declutter the pile of Wii/Gamecube/PS2/PSX/etc. slowly taking over the living room. Ideally I'd like to get the game running at 1080p with some form of AA.

An i5(preferably overclocked) with any decent graphics card should do it.

also, you might want to head over here if you're looking to build http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509570

1stStrike

Banned

I'm currently running the following:

AMD Phenom II 955 Black OC'd to 3.7 GHz
16 GB DDR3 RAM
64 GB SSD
Geforce GTX 670

I'm replacing the processor soon with an AMD FX-8350 which is an 8 core 4 ghz (stock) processor. It's $174 and while there's certainly Intel processors that are better, the cost to performance ratio is hard to beat.

I'm already able to play games in 1080p with 4x SSAA with what I have now, but this is just to give me a bit more oomph to smooth out the game a bit more while encoding during streaming.

If you're building something brand new, though, then I recommend going with Intel rather than AMD.

Top Bottom