• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

synce

All these years later and The Last Story still can't run without hiccups on the latest 4.5ghz i5. At this point I'm more disappointed in Intel but what a shame regardless

mjontrix

Take that sucker to 5 or 5.1GHz

This.

In the long-run your best bet will be Cannonlake which should be able to OC even higher then this + improved single threaded performance + Dolphin would be even more optimized by then.

I thought that's one of the most, if not the most demanding game on Dolphin.

DonMigs85

This.

In the long-run your best bet will be Cannonlake which should be able to OC even higher then this + improved single threaded performance + Dolphin would be even more optimized by then.

I thought that's one of the most, if not the most demanding game on Dolphin.

Seems that Tigerlake in 2019/2020 will be the last design to trace its roots to Sandy Bridge, and it's also junking some old hardware features (I guess MMX/SSE?)

mjontrix

Seems that Tigerlake in 2019/2020 will be the last design to trace its roots to Sandy Bridge, and it's also junking some old hardware features (I guess MMX/SSE?)

That's way too far to worry about - but they would certainly visualize/emulate said hardware features.

And the reason they're redoing the x86 architecture is to be more competitive with ARM in the tablet/mobile sector and fend them off in the Server area - Atom showed the physical limits of what they could do due to their current design.

AzaK

After fuming enough about Switch I tried Dolphin for the first time last night - Wow. I tried two of my games - Super Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime.

SMS worked flawlessly and I was so, so happy to be playing that game again.

Metroid was a bit of a mess. The game generally worked but scanning would just stop working at some points, and when popping into scanning mode the frame rate halved. I'll be getting a gaming PC soon so I'll retry it then.

Very impressed overall though.

ss_lemonade

Did you apply the 60FPS patch?
Was there a patch though? The only game I'm aware of that was community patched to run at 60fps through pcsx2 was a Kingdom Hearts game. Either there's one too for Okami, or this is another one of those games people "think" runs at 60 fps with pcsx2

TriAceJP

Was there a patch though? The only game I'm aware of that was community patched to run at 60fps through pcsx2 was a Kingdom Hearts game. Either there's one too for Okami, or this is another one of those games people "think" runs at 60 fps with pcsx2

I captured footage, I'll let you be the judge once it's done uploading. PCSX2 reports 60FPS. Some games do report as 30FPS. These both being VFPS.

I'm sure it'll be a bit before it's ready to view, but here is the link: https://youtu.be/Zcd4EFWTolc

If it only gives a 30 FPS option, check back later. Takes time to render the higher qualities.

Slightly OT but then what is the definitive version of Okami then? PS3? Ive been meaning to play this.

If configured correctly, PCSX2 is the best version to play.

shockdude

Damn, so I'm hearing that you can't emulate the Wii Motion + on Dolphin? It sucks that I won't be able to play it with a gamepad, so I guess I have to look into setting up a bluetooth adapter for the Wiimote.

Can I use any bluetooth adapter? ie: a usb bluetooth adapter I have for a mic
Most bluetooth adapters will work. However, standard Bluetooth drivers can't handle MotionPlus as well as a real Wii.
Bluetooth Passthrough has lower bluetooth adapter compatibility, but is much more accurate with MotionPlus.
Since you have a Bluetooth microphone, you should probably stick with the standard Bluetooth drivers first before trying Bluetooth Passthrough.
Quick question, without having to go through the entire thread: has anyone got F-Zero GX to run at full speed? Most versions of dolphin I tried crash when "multi core threading" is enabled on this game, and the one version that didn't crash would run it all buggy with stuttering. What CPU can run this thing at full speed on one core?
Thanks.
You shouldn't need to make F-Zero GX run on single-core. My laptop's 2.6GHz i7-4720HQ runs F-Zero GX at full speed with dual-core enabled.
What are your PC specs?

Dolphin runs absolutely perfect (60fps, 1080p) on my Alpha R1, which has a much weaker GPU than the R2s, so you should be fine!

GPU doesn't really matter for Dolphin as long as it isn't complete crap, unless you're going for ridiculous resolutions or something. It's all about CPU, and especially single core performance.

(I know literally nothing about the specs of these machines; if the R2 has a much better cpu than the R1, great!)

The R1 have GTX 860m w/ 2 GB of video ram and Haswell Processor. The r2 version have either AMD 470 or the GTX 960 with Skylake processors.

More information here
Thanks guys.

Do you know if 4K upscaling will be possible on this? I'd like to buy a relatively future proof machine.

Muninn

Banned
DKCR is getting a texture pack that is almost complete. Looks really amazing at 4K. Just thought I would remind people. The new pack when it's done soon here has all new text, a few backgrounds, upgraded textures a bit and some other things.

Amazing looking to this day at 4K with 2xMSAA. I use per pixel and bicubic among a couple other things. Beautiful.

Also a good texture pack for Punch Out too! Updates it for higher resolutions.

Slightly OT but then what is the definitive version of Okami then? PS3? Ive been meaning to play this.

The PS3 version does run at 1080p and at 30fps with redone textures. It's a very good port.

Avoid the Wii version though (even with Dolphin). The paper texture is missing and the motion controls aren't great.

I captured footage, I'll let you be the judge once it's done uploading. PCSX2 reports 60FPS. Some games do report as 30FPS. These both being VFPS.

I'm sure it'll be a bit before it's ready to view, but here is the link: https://youtu.be/Zcd4EFWTolc

If it only gives a 30 FPS option, check back later. Takes time to render the higher qualities.

Thank you for taking the time to do this.

I wish I had Digital Foundry's tools ro definitively say but it looks like a weird mishmash. As though some things run at 60 (like the sparkles on the water) but the animations are locked at 30.

jett

D-Member

It's clearly running at 30fps there.

And the PS3 version is the best one out there by far.

PCSX2 ain't going to give you this:

daae51afbeff65be61f62e41e71b6208.jpg

0db7c9652040fdfeb4979624ff2fdf47.jpg

06ea632c7f44b74d5423cb9e965e60e0.jpg

0f9e561b515d0acbaddcdf9bfb8555a5.jpg

It's clearly running at 30fps there.

And the PS3 version is the best one out there by far.

PCSX2 ain't going to give you this:

daae51afbeff65be61f62e41e71b6208.jpg

0db7c9652040fdfeb4979624ff2fdf47.jpg

06ea632c7f44b74d5423cb9e965e60e0.jpg

0f9e561b515d0acbaddcdf9bfb8555a5.jpg

Okami, along with a lot of other PS2 games, can be played at 60 with speedhacks. That fact that does not require the acceptance of people here. That being the case, the objectively better textures in the PS3 version don't matter unless you're looking at a still image.

The definitive argument would be made by posting high-bitrate video clips rather than still images.

jett

D-Member
And yet nobody has posted a video of Okami actually running at 60fps on PCSX2 in this thread. The videos are rendered at 60, but the game is just running at 30.

And what are these other "lots of PS2" games? I only know of SotC.

And yet nobody has posted a video of Okami actually running at 60fps on PCSX2 in this thread. The videos are rendered at 60, but the game is just running at 30.

And what are these other "lots of PS2" games? I only know of SotC.

I just finished ICO at 60, which I learned about on the PCSX2 forums. Go there.

GAF is not the place for in-depth information anymore.

Theonik

OK at least we've moved form the PS2 version running at 60 to speedhacks. I'm not going to discount the value of these but speedhacks are not usually a good idea.
I wonder what kind of issues this introduces. Point is the PS3 version gives you both the benefits of the PS2 and Wii versions with enhanced visuals while not running slower compared to an unmodified PS2 game.

Thanks guys.

Do you know if 4K upscaling will be possible on this? I'd like to buy a relatively future proof machine.

I'm assuming you're trying to avoid assembling a PC yourself.

I would recommend still using custom parts, but buy them all from NCIX, which will assemble them for you for $50 and guarantee that everything works properly. (Alternately, Newegg.com will do free assembly, but without that guarantee.)

Ask in the I Need a New PC thread regarding specific parts. There's a request template in the OP, and you can note that you want to use the NCIX build service.

Okami, along with a lot of other PS2 games, can be played at 60 with speedhacks. That fact that does not require the acceptance of people here. That being the case, the objectively better textures in the PS3 version don't matter unless you're looking at a still image.

The definitive argument would be made by posting high-bitrate video clips rather than still images.

Someone has posted a high quality video of a 60 fps speedhack of Okami on the previous page and it didn't look like it did anything.

So... Check?

ss_lemonade

You're still running at 30 fps there.

This reminds me of people saying they have FF 12 running at 60 fps, but then proceed to post videos of it running at 30 fps.

TriAceJP

The only game I'm I'm 100% sure of as running at 60fps on pcsx2 is Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.

If only pcsx2 allowed external asset packs like Dolphin does...

KainXVIII

So i connected my Wii Remote to Dolphin (it was super easy though) with bluetooth adapter, but what about sensor bar? Can i somehow emulate it?
Also what advantages of Wii Remote Passthrough a Bluetooth Adapter option?
PS - new dolphin requires usbdk, it is safe to install?

TriAceJP

So i connected my Wii Remote to Dolphin (it was super easy though) with bluetooth adapter, but what about sensor bar? Can i somehow emulate it?
Also what advantages of Wii Remote Passthrough a Bluetooth Adapter option?
PS - new dolphin requires usbdk, it is safe to install?

The sensor bar is literally two infared lights. You could use candles if you wanted to.

Since you already have a bluetooth dongle, you wouldn't need a Dolphin bar but I recommend them.

Otherwise, you can get one of those wireless bars for maybe $10.

Are you by chance playing on a TV with motion smoothing?

I'm definitely seeing judder when the camera is panning.

finley83

Banned
Sorry I only seem to ask questions in this thread but I have a weird one: Paper Mario TTYD (PAL version) only seems to display at 50hz in Dolphin even though I've selected 60hz on startup. Anyone else here with the PAL version that can run it at 60? Could just download an NTSC iso I guess but would prefer to use my own rip if possible.

jediyoshi

I just finished ICO at 60, which I learned about on the PCSX2 forums. Go there.

GAF is not the place for in-depth information anymore.

There's a distinction between instances of overclocking EE to hit an existing framerate ceiling of a game and literally changing it. There isn't an extensive list of games patched for 60fps and every single one has their own caveats. An actual example of things that manually needed per-game patching and are well supported is something like widescreen hacks. 60fps patches are exceptions.

Datschge

Sorry I only seem to ask questions in this thread but I have a weird one: Paper Mario TTYD (PAL version) only seems to display at 50hz in Dolphin even though I've selected 60hz on startup. Anyone else here with the PAL version that can run it at 60? Could just download an NTSC iso I guess but would prefer to use my own rip if possible.
Paper Mario supports PAL60, but you have to select it at game boot up, press B there if it isn't already visible.

MaLDo

Then please link to a 60 fps video of Okami because every video of this game show the game at 30 fps.

I wonder if BT passthrough will ever come to Dolphinbar. They had a February 10th firmware update, but it did not include it.

[EDIT] Oops, that update was February 2015

Anteater

Then please link to a 60 fps video of Okami because every video of this game show the game at 30 fps.

stop wasting time on him

he's contributed nothing for the last 2 pages, he could easily post the 60fps patch for okami but he hasn't and all he did was bitch about how stupid everyone on gaf was

Okami is in my backlog, but I'm planning to play the Wii version (in Dolphin) so that I can draw with a cursor instead of a joystick. That easily makes up for a lower frame-rate and worse textures, as nice as those things would be.

stop wasting time on him

he's contributed nothing for the last 2 pages, he could easily post the 60fps patch for okami but he hasn't and all he did was bitch about how stupid everyone on gaf was

Any of you could have spent five minutes finding it, but you didn't. Is that because you're stupid? Who's to say.

shaowebb

Man...last Saturday the TVC netplay community had its weekly tournament and we had a Croatian connection vs a Norcal connection. Straight up about as far away on the planet from one another as you can get. Literally on opposite sides of the globe. If thats not a test of the net capabilities of Dolphin I don't know what is. For shit Norcal through the buffer rate up to 123 equating to about 30 frames of input lag in Grand Finals lol.

Hilarity ensued.

Any of you could have spent five minutes finding it, but you didn't. Is that because you're stupid? Who's to say.
Based on your posts in this thread (mostly negative and lacking in any useful details) and your revealing tag, I'm not shocked that you're having difficulty getting people to engage with you in in-depth discussions on Neogaf.

People have said multiple times they searched for 60fps videos of Okami running on the PS2 emulator and were doubtful if they truly were running in 60fps because, frankly, there are a lot of shitty videos out there and lots of people who don't know what they're talking about when they post "Okami Full HD 60FPS" videos online.

TriAceJP's video here is the best video example of Okami that actually looks like 60fps I was able to find on YouTube and it was the seventh down the search I made.

The discussion taking place between Blackpuppy, TriAceJP, and georaldc is a great one. Someone says the emulated PS2 Okami is the best version, someone isn't sure it actually can run at 60fps (due to the mediocre videos being available and lack of easily findable info online), someone asks if it there is a hack to get it working, and then someone decides to see if it is possible and even uploads a video of their results.

Based on your posts in this thread (mostly negative and lacking in any useful details) and your revealing tag, I'm not shocked that you're having difficulty getting people to engage with you in in-depth discussions on Neogaf.

I'm not trying to engage in in-depth discussions. I offered my opinion re the best way to play Okami. I don't care if you folks don't believe me and it's not my responsibility to do your searches for you.

EDIT: Also, I'm 100% confident that I have the best tag on GAF.

Miker

I'm not trying to engage in in-depth discussions. I offered my opinion re the best way to play Okami. I don't care if you folks don't believe me and it's not my responsibility to do your searches for you.

EDIT: Also, I'm 100% confident that I have the best tag on GAF.

lol

Enjoy your 60 fps Okami, we certainly won't stop you.

Top Bottom