• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

dh4niel

I'm having issues playing Metroid Prime 3 (Metroid Prime Trilogy) on Dolphin. Not only is frame rate pretty much everywhere, most of the time sticking to 60 but the scan visor doesn't work at all. I did google it but I haven't found a way to solve it yet.

Theonik

One of these updates is going to be like "We were lying, full MotionPlus emulation support is in!"

I can't be the only one, right? I mean, who is holding out for the Netflix app??
Wii Motion + Emulation is quite hard and is never going to be really useful considering the shortage of PC 1:1 motion solutions and how M+ games are optimised for the M+ tracking characteristics. It's not something you'd actually want.

Now going back to Netflix. It's actually major. Like with the other Factor 5 update, the big headline is getting another game/app to work but the means by which this was achieved has major implications for the emulation accuracy of Dolphin as a whole and benefits games across the board.

Wii Motion + Emulation is quite hard and is never going to be really useful considering the shortage of PC 1:1 motion solutions and how M+ games are optimised for the M+ tracking characteristics. It's not something you'd actually want.

Nyeeeeh. NES games were made for CRTs, but this doesn't mean I don't want a NES emulator working with an LCD.

Games were made for Wii Remote characteristics, but the fact I can assign a key to a movement type is a feature for me.

Theonik

Nyeeeeh. NES games were made for CRTs, but this doesn't mean I don't want a NES emulator working with an LCD.

Games were made for Wii Remote characteristics, but the fact I can assign a key to a movement type is a feature for me.
The Wii's Motion is basically mapping gestures to virtual button presses with a pointer. Motion + works in a completely different manner which is very difficult to map to something else. You also can't easily abstract it as different games use it in very different games which is different to the Wii's motion implementation.

Sure, it will require per game user effort. Not unlike some of Wii's games like Other M, I imagine. Doesn't mean you know "I actually wouldn't want this".

Theonik

Super Mario Galaxy only used waggle for Player 1 right? assigning a button for waggle would be great.
You can do that already.

Sure, it will require per game user effort. Not unlike some of Wii's games like Other M, I imagine. Doesn't mean you know "I actually wouldn't want this".
It would be quite difficult to provide configurability to allow you to do that in a way that would be of any use to anyone.

I'm having issues playing Metroid Prime 3 (Metroid Prime Trilogy) on Dolphin. Not only is frame rate pretty much everywhere, most of the time sticking to 60 but the scan visor doesn't work at all. I did google it but I haven't found a way to solve it yet.
Scan Visor should work if you untick "Store EFB Copies to Texture Only." This should already be forced by in the game's .ini file, but if you open the grapics settings during emulation and you have "Store EFB Copies to Texture Only"checked it will override the game's .ini file.

I've actually been testing Trilogy a lot in the past few days, and even after all these years these games are pain to run. At least on my hardware they are. Here are some of the issues I've encountered, but first my PC specs:

i5 2550K overclocked to 4.5Ghz, Hyper 212 Evo for cooling
8GB DDR3 RAM clocked at 1600Mhz (XMP)
GTX 1060 6GB, +150 core clock, +500 memory clock

Master build issues:

-Black bar glitch has returned in a new form. Using Virtual XFB is supposed to get rid of it, but instead the screen starts flickering like crazy when the desync would have occurred. Only way to get rid of it is to restart the game, or return to the main menu, which essentially resets the game as well.
-A Metroid Prime 2 specific bug, the map screen has no background on D3D12, it's just black.
-Shader compilation suttering is as bad as ever.
-Some random D3D12 related crashes.

Now of course you should play it with the Ishiiruka builds because of Async Shader Compilation to deal with the stuttering, but that has it's own share of issues.

-Async shader compilation only works on D3D11 and D3D12 so you're stuck with these 2 backends if you want to avoid stuttering.
-D3D11 is a lot slower than D3D12.
-D3D12 is prone to crashing.
-Metroid Prime 2 map screen renders properly on D3D12, but fps drops to about 40 for some reason. Seems to be a new regression because a slightly older build doesn't do this, but those builds crash constantly in D3D12.

Things were going smoothly at 3x IR, 16x AF, and 2x SSAA, but certain graphical effects cause noticable slowdown.

-Major slowdown when water runs down your visor in Metroid Prime 2. Same effect is present in Metroid Prime 1, but not as taxing.
-Rain on Bryyo in Metroid Prime 3 causes some slowdown, I think specifically when it hits your visor. Hard to test because whether or not it starts raining on Bryyo seems to be random.
-SSAA and alpha effects do not play nicely. Splash effects have noticeable slowdown in Metroid Prime 2 and 3.

If anyone else has been able to run Metroid Prime Trilogy smoothly as of late please let me know which build and your settings, I would really appreciate it!

I am playing the Dolphin fork that had Motion Plus emulation right now. It absolutely works and is plenty configurable, at least for Skyward Sword.

Steam controller gyro can be mapped to every function of the Motion Plus. I've mapped sword movement to the right pad. Swiping across the pad swings the sword in the direction you would expect.

I am playing the Dolphin fork that had Motion Plus emulation right now. It absolutely works and is plenty configurable, at least for Skyward Sword.

Steam controller gyro can be mapped to every function of the Motion Plus. I've mapped sword movement to the right pad. Swiping across the pad swings the sword in the direction you would expect.

Wait, so this exists? Why isn't this in the master branch?

it's probably very hacky which is against dolphin team's ethos of "keep it out unless it's perfect or it'll never be perfect cause people won't care as long as it's good enough." It's alright for certain aspects of the emulator, but in this instance it seems a bit restrictive for something that could have its support issues mitigated with a simple *experimental* tag. But then I guess that's why they wanna keep it in other forks anyway

It was a fork of an old 3.x build, done by someone that isn't part of the primary Dolphin development team. I assume it was just too late and/or too complicated to merge it with the main branch, let alone maintain it going forward.

It's not perfect, of course. I had some issues separating my trackpad input from the gyro input, but fortunately the Steam controller allows for gyro activation only on a specific button press. I'll dial it in more this weekend and maybe make a quick video if anybody cares.

dh4niel

Scan Visor should work if you untick "Store EFB Copies to Texture Only." This should already be forced by in the game's .ini file, but if you open the grapics settings during emulation and you have "Store EFB Copies to Texture Only"checked it will override the game's .ini file.

I've actually been testing Trilogy a lot in the past few days, and even after all these years these games are pain to run. At least on my hardware they are. Here are some of the issues I've encountered, but first my PC specs:

i5 2550K overclocked to 4.5Ghz, Hyper 212 Evo for cooling
8GB DDR3 RAM clocked at 1600Mhz (XMP)
GTX 1060 6GB, +150 core clock, +500 memory clock

Master build issues:

-Black bar glitch has returned in a new form. Using Virtual XFB is supposed to get rid of it, but instead the screen starts flickering like crazy when the desync would have occurred. Only way to get rid of it is to restart the game, or return to the main menu, which essentially resets the game as well.
-A Metroid Prime 2 specific bug, the map screen has no background on D3D12, it's just black.
-Shader compilation suttering is as bad as ever.
-Some random D3D12 related crashes.

Now of course you should play it with the Ishiiruka builds because of Async Shader Compilation to deal with the stuttering, but that has it's own share of issues.

-Async shader compilation only works on D3D11 and D3D12 so you're stuck with these 2 backends if you want to avoid stuttering.
-D3D11 is a lot slower than D3D12.
-D3D12 is prone to crashing.
-Metroid Prime 2 map screen renders properly on D3D12, but fps drops to about 40 for some reason. Seems to be a new regression because a slightly older build doesn't do this, but those builds crash constantly in D3D12.

Things were going smoothly at 3x IR, 16x AF, and 2x SSAA, but certain graphical effects cause noticable slowdown.

-Major slowdown when water runs down your visor in Metroid Prime 2. Same effect is present in Metroid Prime 1, but not as taxing.
-Rain on Bryyo in Metroid Prime 3 causes some slowdown, I think specifically when it hits your visor. Hard to test because whether or not it starts raining on Bryyo seems to be random.
-SSAA and alpha effects do not play nicely. Splash effects have noticeable slowdown in Metroid Prime 2 and 3.

If anyone else has been able to run Metroid Prime Trilogy smoothly as of late please let me know which build and your settings, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks, dude. I'm using the latest Ishiiruka build and that's fixed the majority of the stuttering issues. Scan visor works now too.

Acid08

Banned
Like so, doing this for RF: Tides of Destiny

Also anyway to get 60FPS?

This is an extremely old post but I'm in the middle of trying to figure out how to map the motion control stuff to controller/keyboard/mouse. I'm aware it'll be a janky setup at best but does anyone have any advice for that?

Specifically I'm trying to play No More Heroes on Dolphin but don't have a wiimote/nunchuck/sensor bar.

it's probably very hacky which is against dolphin team's ethos of "keep it out unless it's perfect or it'll never be perfect cause people won't care as long as it's good enough."

I don't think this is actually their policy? They want fixes to be accurate rather than rely on game-specific hacks or patches. If you read the progress report, you can see how this pays off--often, fixing an issue in one game will suddenly correct a whole host of issues in other games. They also want code to be well structured and readable overall so people will continue contributing to the project.

I agree that they go too far some times--for example, I really wish they'd implement async shader compilation, because those stutters are awful and I'm willing to take a hacky approach to fix something that universally detrimental--but not overall.

It was a fork of an old 3.x build, done by someone that isn't part of the primary Dolphin development team. I assume it was just too late and/or too complicated to merge it with the main branch, let alone maintain it going forward.
Oh, I see. I hadn't realized the fork was so old.

Does anyone have or can comment on the Alienware Alpha?

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/alienware-...630&acd=239715600820560&ven1=siZPCLEtg&ven2=e

...specifically to use for Dolphin? This thing is tiny compared to even the mini PC cases posted above. Comes in 4 configs, highest ends comes with NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960 graphics with 4GB GDDR5

I'm not sure if this is the Alienware Alpha R2 which is apparantly the follow-up to the original according to Google. Can't seem to find anything on it in the UK though.
Any help on this please? Thanks!

Dolphin runs absolutely perfect (60fps, 1080p) on my Alpha R1, which has a much weaker GPU than the R2s, so you should be fine!

GPU doesn't really matter for Dolphin as long as it isn't complete crap, unless you're going for ridiculous resolutions or something. It's all about CPU, and especially single core performance.

(I know literally nothing about the specs of these machines; if the R2 has a much better cpu than the R1, great!)

Malakai

Does anyone have or can comment on the Alienware Alpha?

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/alienware-...630&acd=239715600820560&ven1=siZPCLEtg&ven2=e

...specifically to use for Dolphin? This thing is tiny compared to even the mini PC cases posted above. Comes in 4 configs, highest ends comes with NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960 graphics with 4GB GDDR5

I'm not sure if this is the Alienware Alpha R2 which is apparantly the follow-up to the original according to Google. Can't seem to find anything on it in the UK though.

The R1 have GTX 860m w/ 2 GB of video ram and Haswell Processor. The r2 version have either AMD 470 or the GTX 960 with Skylake processors.

More information here

Guys, do you think the new Asus vivo PC X would be enough to handle dolphin for demanding games like Rogue Leader etc. specially in 1080p 60fps and textures HD mods? Here the PC
I have some concerns for the i5 laptop CPU Kaby Lake processor that might not be enough. If it's ok, this could be a nice console box for emulation.

Prove me wrong, but I'm positive that game did not run at 60 fps on PS2. It had some pretty big dips in parts.

That looks 30 to me. You sure people aren't mistaking 60fps with 60v/i?

That's 30fps. My bionic eye can tell

Framerate in the video is 30 fps.

This is totally 30.
60 has this smoothness...

Spend 30 seconds Googling before posting dumb shit.

Ziffles

You mean the video itself being interpolated? Why would you even assume that? There is ample evidence on, PCSX2 wiki, for example on people getting it to run successfully on 60 FPS.

I see one vague comment on that page that says it's a full 60fps, which could be referring to the game or the emulator itself. Who knows? All I know is the video you posted is definitely not 60fps.

I wanna see the receipts.

Spend 30 seconds Googling before posting dumb shit.

I have but can't find anything definitive. I see 60 sometimes in vague statements on a random forum, but I know that emulators use this 60htz/60fps to designate 60vi/s: basically the television standard that a console has to output to show an image on a TV screen. The internal framerate is different.

So for example: while every NTSC N64 game runs at 60vi/s, Mario64 runs at 30 fps, Zelda runs at 20 etc.

I'm willing to eat crow here but I don't see any proof that this emulator runs this game at 60 fps without speeding it up.

PS: the name calling wasn't necessary. A link would have sufficed to make your point.

That's like saying every Xbox One game outputs 1080p.

Internal =/= external.

I'm not saying that Mario64 runs at 60 fps. I am just stating that emulators will use vertical interrupts as a metric. If their emulator is running at 60 vertical interrupts, that means it's running at normal speed. So Mario should be at 30 fps, Zelda 20-something, Fzero 60 etc.

Jonboy

qctvpjxukseqac39arkg.jpg
Dr-Zaber-Sentry-3.jpg

DSC_19772.JPG

The top left one looks awesome. Mind sharing the build & cost?

jett

D-Member
You mean the video itself being interpolated? Why would you even assume that? There is ample evidence on, PCSX2 wiki, for example on people getting it to run successfully on 60 FPS.

That's 60hz, bro. All emulators update to 60hz.

Okami runs at 30fps in all of the platforms it was released on.

Mivey

I see one vague comment on that page that says it's a full 60fps, which could be referring to the game or the emulator itself. Who knows? All I know is the video you posted is definitely not 60fps.

I wanna see the receipts.

That's 60hz, bro. All emulators update to 60hz.

Okami runs at 30fps in all of the platforms it was released on.
Well, I know hat PCSX2 allows to uncap the framerate, so one way or another you could get it to run at 60 FPS. :p

Damn, so I'm hearing that you can't emulate the Wii Motion + on Dolphin? It sucks that I won't be able to play it with a gamepad, so I guess I have to look into setting up a bluetooth adapter for the Wiimote.

Can I use any bluetooth adapter? ie: a usb bluetooth adapter I have for a mic

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
thats definitely not 60, and if it is a theoretical max 60 it definitely is not hitting the mark most of the time.

How is saying that a 30fps youtube video is running at 30 fps "dumb shit"? Because that's exactly what they (and I) see with that video posted.

Because rather than actually find out if the game is capable of being played at 60, you're pointing out that a youtube video of it is not at 60.

This place is getting stupider by the day.

Because rather than actually find out if the game is capable of being played at 60, you're pointing out that a youtube video of it is not at 60.

This place is getting stupider by the day.

Look, as I'd said: I did look this up on google. Nothing says you can so there's nothing more to say on the matter.

WE didn't put that video up as "proof" that the game runs at 60fps. So sorry if people are just critical about someone's "smoking gun" being a wet firecracker.

If we're all so stupid and posting "dumb shit", please enlighten us and find proof. That would be much more constructive than being pissy.

That's exactly the point, nobody talks about the external part as that's obvious to everyone with a little tech knowledge and just confusing everybody else.

Sorry, I wasn't clear: sometimes in the FPS counter in emulators, the "fps" is actually VI/s.

So open a N64 emulator and you might get 60 in your little counter in the corner but the game is running at it's sub 60 internal framerate.

I'm just curious if that isn't what is happening here. People are playing Okami and seeing 60 in their "FPS" counter but it's actually counting VI/s. People go "Wow! 60 fps Okami!" but that's not the truth.

Spladam

Quick question, without having to go through the entire thread: has anyone got F-Zero GX to run at full speed? Most versions of dolphin I tried crash when "multi core threading" is enabled on this game, and the one version that didn't crash would run it all buggy with stuttering. What CPU can run this thing at full speed on one core?
Thanks.

Top Bottom