• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

ACE 1991

So is Skyward Sword fully playable on Dolphin? Planning on buying motion + for the game, but I want to make sure that everything works well. I have a beefy gaming PC so I'm not concerned with that aspect.

EDIT: Is there a good general guide for setting up this game? Thanks.

Theonik

"The Wii Remote will easily lose calibration during swordplay and other rapid movements."

Is this a big problem still? Thanks!
This was a big problem with the game on the Wii as well. BT passthrough should vastly improve controller compatibility so you should experience less issues with it.

For me at least, the SS "callibration loss" was really simple to adjust to on a real Wii, you just pressed D-Pad or something before aiming at anything. No idea if it's worse on Dolphin.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Does anyone know if the Vulcan branches are compatible with 2EyeGuy's DolphinVR?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Anyone have any advice for xenoblade, Game runs silky smooth minus a few spikes in cutscenes and when I go from the menus to the world it locks up for 1 second

coopolon

Skyward Sword should just work at this point. Some visual glitches here and there. Check the Dolphin Wiki. For motion control you'll need the BT passthrough for the ideal experience. There is a tutorial for that in the Wiki.

e: For BT passthrough you want the developer versions not Dolphin 5.0

I'm also planning on starting skyward sword soon. Last time I used dolphin I just did everything with a dolphin bar. Even using a dophin bar, is above changes necessary? The wiki suggests the dolphin bar helps fix the problem because it's a better adapter?

Theonik

I'm also planning on starting skyward sword soon. Last time I used dolphin I just did everything with a dolphin bar. Even using a dophin bar, is above changes necessary? The wiki suggests the dolphin bar helps fix the problem because it's a better adapter?
There is a catch. Dolphinbar will give you better BT emulation which speeds up the calibration immensely and makes it much more playable. But it doesn't support BT passthrough that is many times better. There was word of the manufacturer trying to get it to work though.

Are there any mods that people like to modernize Windwaker's graphics?
Wind Waker holds up really well.
DOWNLOADS

There are also mods that try to replicate the HD remaster look but I don't really like them. Bear in mind this mod does impact performance somewhat. I use loading textures to RAM to aleviate the stutter but I have 64GB of DDR4 to play with.

Are there any mods that people like to modernize Windwaker's graphics?
All you need:
http://onthegreatsea.tumblr.com/DOWNLOADS

I tried this out in 4K last night and it looks glorious if you prefer the classic Gamecube look. I personally prefer the Wii U version and and Gamepad functionality, but this is a great way to revisit the game as well. Maybe I'll post some screenshots tonight.

Also, be sure to check the Dolphin Wiki pages for specific games in the future, they usually have this type of thing in the articles along with any issues, optimal settings, widescreen mods, etc. You can access these easily from within your Dolphin games library by right clicking the game and clicking "Wiki."

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=The_Legend_of_Zelda:_The_Wind_Waker

Wind Waker also uses a form of Depth of Field that works as intended at native resolution, but at higher internal resolutions it just makes things in the background look a bit soft and slightly blurry, nothing like actual DOF. There's an action replay code you can use to disable the effect entirely, it's in the wiki page. If you need help doing feel free to ask me. :)

I also recommend that you use Ishiiruka instead of 5.0 or any of the official releases when using custom textures. It's an alternate unofficial branch of the main Dolphin with a number of added features. I was getting a lot of stuttering with the texture pack on 5.0 but on Ishiiruka it's very smooth. Maybe someone else can tell me why that is?

Theonik

I also recommend that you use Ishiiruka instead of 5.0 or any of the official releases when using custom textures. It's an alternate unofficial branch of the main Dolphin with a number of added features. I was getting a lot of stuttering with the texture pack on 5.0 but on Ishiiruka it's very smooth. Maybe someone else can tell me why that is?
The Hypatia textures are pretty large and in higher resolutions with AF you are using a lot of memory bandwidth loading them in and out all the time. The solution for me in 5.0 was to use the option to load them all in RAM but that took like 12GB of RAM on the almost done set. (reason for this is that you also uncompress them when using that option)

The Hypatia textures are pretty large and in higher resolutions with AF you are using a lot of memory bandwidth loading them in and out all the time. The solution for me in 5.0 was to use the option to load them all in RAM but that took like 12GB of RAM on the almost done set. (reason for this is that you also uncompress them when using that option)
I had the prefetch custom textures option checked but I also only have 8 gigs of RAM so perhaps that's just not enough for that texture pack. Do you know what Ishiiruka does differently to circumvent the hitching and stuttering related to custom textures?

Theonik

I had the prefetch custom textures option checked but I also only have 8 gigs of RAM so perhaps that's just not enough for that texture pack. Do you know what Ishiiruka does differently to circumvent the hitching and stuttering related to custom textures?
It has an improved texture loading system allowing it to load compressed textures directly, as well as a system that allows it to encode/decode textures in a DX11 shader.

The biggest problem with me with that mod was grassy areas in 5.0 RC. I could get it to behave by pre-fetching and by lowering my SSAA setting. That's with a 980Ti too. Perhaps a 1080Ti or Titan XP can do it. (lol)

It has an improved texture loading system allowing it to load compressed textures directly, as well as a system that allows it to encode/decode textures in a DX11 shader.

The biggest problem with me with that mod was grassy areas in 5.0 RC. I could get it to behave by pre-fetching and by lowering my SSAA setting. That's with a 980Ti too. Perhaps a 1080Ti or Titan XP can do it. (lol)
I was using DX12 last night, I'll have to see if those DX11 options make much of a difference.

What problems were you having with the grass? I have a GTX 1060 and I was using 6x IR and 3840x2160 exclusive fullscreen resolution via DSR to scale it down (because Dolphin apparently still doesn't have a scaling filter for internal resolutions so you get aliasing even at 6x IR -_- ) and I didn't seem to be having any issues aside from the hitching which went away once I switched over to Ishiiruka.

Theonik

I was using DX12 last night, I'll have to see if those DX11 options make much of a difference.

What problems were you having with the grass? I have a GTX 1060 and I was using 6x IR and 3840x2160 exclusive fullscreen resolution via DSR to scale it down (because Dolphin apparently still doesn't have a scaling filter for internal resolutions so you get aliasing even at 6x IR -_- ) and I didn't seem to be having any issues aside from the hitching which went away once I switched over to Ishiiruka.
This is with custom textures and vanilla Dolphin, was running in 3x internal with 4XSSAA (iirc) problem is the game stuttered like hell in grassy areas with that due to texture loading. Never tried Ishiruka though. I prefer to see the stable improvements on master builds.

coopolon

edit:
having problems with setting up bluetooth passthrough. My first adapter, bt211 worked, but remotes wouldn't remember their sync status. Apparently this is just a problem with some adapters.

So got another adapter, a kinivio btd-400 which according to the wiki works and remembers pairings (and has very long range, another thing I wanted.)

Now dolphin isn't finding the adapter itself. In the wiki it says when this happens you have to force the adapter through dolphin.ini where you put in the adapters VID and PID. I have no idea how to get this info or convert it to hex, can anyone help?

When I go to device manager, open the details, in hardware ids it looks like it lists the vid and pid, but putting those 4 digit codes into the ini doesn't fix the problem. Wiki says you have to convert to decimal, so using this website I convert to decimal, still no dice.

Edit 2: for some reason the config ini kept getting changed every time I opened dolphin. So I made it read only and that solved this problem. Unfortunately it still doesn't remember sync status and I have to resync the controller every time I open dolphin (so the wiki is wrong and not reliable ). Also not that impressed with the range of this adapter.

Thinking I might just return this adapter and stick with the dolphin bar, played an hour and a half of skyward sword with it and never had any issues, still not sure what advantage passthrouh provides, especially given all the hassle.

Edit 3: so I tried playing a little on the Wii u and I do actually notice the difference. Things just feel much better on the Wii u than the emulated Bluetooth in dolphin. Looks like I'm playing this on Wii u instead, it doesn't really look that bad and my current set up doesn't allow me to sit close enough to PC for either Bluetooth adapter to work. Hope they do eventually add passthrough for dolphin bar, that thing is an amazing Bluetooth adapter.

ACE 1991

All you need:
http://onthegreatsea.tumblr.com/DOWNLOADS

I tried this out in 4K last night and it looks glorious if you prefer the classic Gamecube look. I personally prefer the Wii U version and and Gamepad functionality, but this is a great way to revisit the game as well. Maybe I'll post some screenshots tonight.

Also, be sure to check the Dolphin Wiki pages for specific games in the future, they usually have this type of thing in the articles along with any issues, optimal settings, widescreen mods, etc. You can access these easily from within your Dolphin games library by right clicking the game and clicking "Wiki."

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=The_Legend_of_Zelda:_The_Wind_Waker

Wind Waker also uses a form of Depth of Field that works as intended at native resolution, but at higher internal resolutions it just makes things in the background look a bit soft and slightly blurry, nothing like actual DOF. There's an action replay code you can use to disable the effect entirely, it's in the wiki page. If you need help doing feel free to ask me. :)

I stumbled upon those textures, they look wonderful! They do cause a mild and infrequent amount of stutter, and I'm not sure I can do much to prevent it with only 8GB of ram. I'll check out that custom Dolphin version.

Megasoum

Banned
So I've been playing a LOT of SMG1 over the last week... Running the game at a stable 60fps now in DX12 with the HD Texture pack.... Everything is perfect except anything I touch ice water it drops in the sub 10 FPS and becomes pretty much unplayable.

I'm guessing that the screen graphical effect that you get when you go in ice water is what causes the issue.

Anybody has a solution for this? It's not a problem 99% of the time but I actually just got to the Icy galaxy so this is annoying lol.

I'm looking to play some Dolphin (No More Heroes particularly) over Steam Link with a real Wiimote.

1) Is this possible?
2) Should I use this fork?
3) What hardware bars do I need? (If any)

Cheers folks <3

coopolon

I'm looking to play some Dolphin (No More Heroes particularly) over Steam Link with a real Wiimote.

1) Is this possible?
2) Should I use this fork?
3) What hardware bars do I need? (If any)

Cheers folks <3

Not really. The problem is getting the wii remote input from the client to dolphin on the host. Steamlink cant do this by itself. It does have software called virtualhere which can stream USB input from the client (using something like a dolphin bar) to the host. People have tried this though and found the steamlinks processor is too weak to be able to process and transmit these inputs. What does appear to work is using a second client like a raspberry pi to stream the wiimote input to the host (again using virtualhere) while the steamlink handles the video.

Alternatives are, connect wiimote directly to host. This works for me, I use a mayflash dolphin bar and it has an amazing range, I can connect my wiimote in the basement to my pc a floor above. Another option is use a steam controller. Some people have had good success emulating a lot of wii remote function with the steam controller. Look for nabs posts in this thread and the steam controller thread for more details.

reKon

Banned
I finally set up my Dolphin on my PC with all the adapters, my wii motes and nunchucks and mayflash adapters. Everything works flawessly. It's amazing running my games downsampled from 2k and 4k. I'm very satisfied.

Not really. The problem is getting the wii remote input from the client to dolphin on the host. Steamlink cant do this by itself. It does have software called virtualhere which can stream USB input from the client (using something like a dolphin bar) to the host. People have tried this though and found the steamlinks processor is too weak to be able to process and transmit these inputs. What does appear to work is using a second client like a raspberry pi to stream the wiimote input to the host (again using virtualhere) while the steamlink handles the video.

Alternatives are, connect wiimote directly to host. This works for me, I use a mayflash dolphin bar and it has an amazing range, I can connect my wiimote in the basement to my pc a floor above. Another option is use a steam controller. Some people have had good success emulating a lot of wii remote function with the steam controller. Look for nabs posts in this thread and the steam controller thread for more details.

ahh, shame. Will check out the posts, thanks &#128077;&#128077;

Is there currently a fork that supports Motion Plus emulation? I am desperately trying to get Skyward Sword working with my Steam Controller. I got it configured with Mario Galaxy 2 last night (not a MotionPlus game) and it works spectacularly.

coopolon

Is there currently a fork that supports Motion Plus emulation? I am desperately trying to get Skyward Sword working with my Steam Controller. I got it configured with Mario Galaxy 2 last night (not a MotionPlus game) and it works spectacularly.

I have looked for this and as far as I can tell there was an attempt to emulate it awhile ago but it was eventually dropped because it didn't work very well.

I have looked for this and as far as I can tell there was an attempt to emulate it awhile ago but it was eventually dropped because it didn't work very well.

Yeah I could only find that old build too. It's a shame, you could do some really interesting things with MotionPlus emulation. The Steam Controller is an incredible emulation controller. I guess their focus is more on perfecting real Wiimote stuff, which is understandable.

Unrelated, I hope somebody figures out a 60fps hack for Skyward Sword. The recent Mario Sunshine 60fps AR code stuff is really impressive.

reKon

Banned
I first played SMG 2 just by trying the combo of a DS4windows and my DS4 controller. It actually worked flawlessly. My dolphin bar came in the next day and I hooked my Wii controllers up, playing for a few hours last night...

It reminded me how perfectly Nintendo nailed the controller for this game. It just felt so much more better and satisfying controlling Yoshi and performing moves on the Wii controller + Nunchuck.

Are there any good, reliable third party motion plus accessories other than the official one? I'm going to need this I'm going to pick up Zelda.

chrislowe

How do I get Vulkan to run in Dolphin?
Have tried downloading the latest version, but it does not show up in the list of renderoptions.

tried installing latest radeondrivers to no avail.

are there any good, reliable third party motion plus accessories other than the official one?
Is there a reason you don't want to just buy a Wii Remote Plus?
How do I get Vulkan to run in Dolphin?
Have tried downloading the latest version, but it does not show up in the list of renderoptions.

tried installing latest radeondrivers to no avail.
Did you download the latest official version or the latest dev build?

Megasoum

Banned

Ah I just tried the latest Dev version with Vulkan... Running great and fixed one of my slowdowns but I still drop to 20-30fps anytime I touch ice water... But hey, we're getting there!

reKon

Banned

Because the ones I were seeing online seemed to be expensive. I was able to snag the sensor bar, gamecube adapter, and official smash controller for relatively cheap. I'm not about to go crazy on buying old accessories just to play 1 - 2 Wii games that require it.

coopolon

Because the ones I were seeing online seemed to be expensive. I was able to snag the sensor bar, gamecube adapter, and official smash controller for relatively cheap. I'm not about to go crazy on buying old accessories just to play 1 - 2 Wii games that require it.

GameStop sells the motion plus adapters for ~$12 used. There are third party options available but I don't think they are much cheaper than that (at least not if you're buying 1, a lot come in packs of 2) and this is something I imagine you don't want to go third party on.

Ah I just tried the latest Dev version with Vulkan... Running great and fixed one of my slowdowns but I still drop to 20-30fps anytime I touch ice water... But hey, we're getting there!
I'm not sure which I should be using on a 980ti. Is there any benefit to using DX12?
Ah, yeah it does look like they're expensive online. There was probably a time when you could find a shitload of Wiimotes at Goodwill and like thrift stores.
It says dolphin-master-5.0-540-x64.
Not sure if its the dev.build? but I think so :)
Hm, I dunno man. Try downloading the absolute most recent dev version from here and check again?

Megasoum

Banned
I'm not sure which I should be using on a 980ti. Is there any benefit to using DX12?

Ah, yeah it does look like they're expensive online. There was probably a time when you could find a shitload of Wiimotes at Goodwill and like thrift stores.

Hm, I dunno man. Try downloading the absolute most recent dev version from here and check again?

In the stable build DX12 is by far the best for me on my 1080.

In the stable build DX12 is by far the best for me on my 1080.

Good to know. I'll keep with it then. I was getting some hitching in Mario Galaxy 2 last night (I did install the HD textures per your recommendation), but I think that might have been due to it running off an old hard drive. Moved everything over to an SSD and I'll see if that fixes it.

Megasoum

Banned
Good to know. I'll keep with it then. I was getting some hitching in Mario Galaxy 2 last night (I did install the HD textures per your recommendation), but I think that might have been due to it running off an old hard drive. Moved everything over to an SSD and I'll see if that fixes it.

Also make sure to check both the "Load Custom Textures" (obviously) but also the "Prefetch Custom Textures".. Both in the Advanced tab of the Graphics option. The Prefetch helps the performance in the long run (some small slowdowns at the beginning but once the cache is built it goes a lot smoother).

Also make sure to check both the "Load Custom Textures" (obviously) but also the "Prefetch Custom Textures".. Both in the Advanced tab of the Graphics option. The Prefetch helps the performance in the long run (some small slowdowns at the beginning but once the cache is built it goes a lot smoother).

Hmm! I'll have to make sure I have Prefetch checked. Good call, thanks!

HF2014

Ok going to ask a technical question and id smeone as experience it before. I installed Dolphin, latest version, on Windows 10. Game played well, no problem about that. But like 2 days later, i decide to play some Diablo 3, and start noticing some graphic anomalies, like some area when loading and moving fast, color of small proportion were inverted, all like pixelated. Its like colors on some small area, really noticable in act 2 town, when moving left to right. Tried with vsync on , off, tried eveything, didnt work properly

I try anything to fix the problem, nothing to do. Until i decide to do a system restore, latest, dated to the Dolphin install.

And miracle, everything is fine now. But now, im just worried to install that Dolphin again. So im just wondering if there was some direct x file of some sort that could bug some games. Videocard i got is gtx 1060 , from my New Alienware.

poodaddy

Ok going to ask a technical question and id smeone as experience it before. I installed Dolphin, latest version, on Windows 10. Game played well, no problem about that. But like 2 days later, i decide to play some Diablo 3, and start noticing some graphic anomalies, like some area when loading and moving fast, color of small proportion were inverted, all like pixelated. Its like colors on some small area, really noticable in act 2 town, when moving left to right. Tried with vsync on , off, tried eveything, didnt work properly

I try anything to fix the problem, nothing to do. Until i decide to do a system restore, latest, dated to the Dolphin install.

And miracle, everything is fine now. But now, im just worried to install that Dolphin again. So im just wondering if there was some direct x file of some sort that could bug some games. Videocard i got is gtx 1060 , from my New Alienware.
I feel like this post deserves a bump just because this is the weirdest thing I've ever heard. I mean there's literally no reason for Dolphin to affect Diablo3's executable in any way so I'm honestly as curious about this as you. You didn't download anything else fishy that day? Go to any uh.....extra curricular websites?

Top Bottom