• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

jediyoshi

The GUI setting is limited to 8x but you can manually set higher values with the GameINI.

Ah found it. Unfortunate you'd have to play with a crazy resolution up to the point where you want to take a screenshot. Would be a neat feature if the screenshot function automated the bumping up of the internal resolution -> screenshot -> return to whatever playable resolution.

shockdude

Finally got a decent gaming TV over Black Friday. Vizio D50-D1, which has 26.5ms input lag, or 1.09 frames over a CRT.
With this TV, Dolphin has lower input delay than a Wii connected over component cables, lol. There's most likely some additional delay for the analog inputs.

I wish I had a CRT so I could be reminded what minimum input lag is like. It would be hilarious if Dolphin actually had lower input lag than real hardware on a CRT.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Odd, either it's the latest revision that fixed it or the latest AMD drivers, but Vulkan works juust fine now.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Is there a way to have both Dolphin and Dolphin VR installed?

As I installed Dolphin VR, it removed Dolphin :-/

Is there a way to have both Dolphin and Dolphin VR installed?

As I installed Dolphin VR, it removed Dolphin :-/

Change the directory name before installing the second one? I actually never had this issue. The Dolphin installs had their own directories but shared a common save/resource folder.

marc^o^

Change the directory name before installing the second one? I actually never had this issue. The Dolphin installs had their own directories but shared a common save/resource folder.
Thank you, that worked for me.

New question: do any of you use a CRT filter for Dolphin and old games? What would you recommend to reduce pixelization?

PGamer

fucking juniors
New question: do any of you use a CRT filter for Dolphin and old games? What would you recommend to reduce ?

Are you trying to purposely keep games at 480p? If you want to reduce pixelization your best option would be to use increased internal resolution with AA.

marc^o^

Are you trying to purposely keep games at 480p? If you want to reduce pixelization your best option would be to use increased internal resolution with AA.
I wondered if a SweetFX kind of filter would make sprite games look decent on a 4K Samsung TV?

I posted this in the wrong thread. See as follows:

Couldn't find a better place to post this and didn't want to start a new thread.

Long story short is Rogue One got me thirsty for anything Rebel Alliance-related. Enter a strong desire to replay Rogue Squadron II.

My preference is to play it on Dolphin this time around, with resolution and anti-aliasing bumped up.

Unfortunately, I haven't messed around with Dolphin too much in the last year or more. Last I remember, Rogue Squadron II was unplayable because of draw distance issues or something. Is that still the case, or am I going to be able to play this thing in 1080p glory finally?

ReBirFh

So my Dolphin bar finally arrived. My question is, with the recent developments is it as good as the new bluetooth implementation for Motion+ or I just wasted my money?

Nerrel

So my Dolphin bar finally arrived. My question is, with the recent developments is it as good as the new bluetooth implementation for Motion+ or I just wasted my money?

For now it's not as good, but Mayflash is working on it and it seems likely that they'll also support the passthrough somehow in the future. If nothing else, the Mayflash bar is still really convenient and easier as an all in one solution.

Layell

Any GAF tips for Skyward Sword? It's the game up next for my gf and I'd like to have it on full HD.

I have a USB Bluetooth, I think it's the standard windows stack.
I am using Ishiiruka, and had to lower a few settings compared to TP, slowdowns everywhere.
Pointer and analog controls seem a bit stiff from my brief test run, could barely fly.

Nerrel

Any GAF tips for Skyward Sword? It's the game up next for my gf and I'd like to have it on full HD.

I have a USB Bluetooth, I think it's the standard windows stack.
I am using Ishiiruka, and had to lower a few settings compared to TP, slowdowns everywhere.
Pointer and analog controls seem a bit stiff from my brief test run, could barely fly.

You really need to use the passthrough mode with your adapter, not the Windows stack. It'll reduce latency and improve the general functioning of the remote.

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Bluetooth_Passthrough

ReBirFh

For now it's not as good, but Mayflash is working on it and it seems likely that they'll also support the passthrough somehow in the future. If nothing else, the Mayflash bar is still really convenient and easier as an all in one solution.

Thanks for the answer. Anyplace where I can follow this development? Anyway I don't regret my purchase as I just discovered that I can use it as a mouse cursor and as ligthgun in MAME.

chrislowe

Can I found some good settings for dolphin?

It has been running slow for me on i5 2500k and i5 6500 + rx480 and then I read the others find it run great on lower end hardware.

Running win10 on both

DonMigs85

Can I found some good settings for dolphin?

It has been running slow for me on i5 2500k and i5 6500 + rx480 and then I read the others find it run great on lower end hardware.

Running win10 on both
Try using Vulkan and make sure you're using the latest development build too. For that GPU 3x native resolution should be a snap

HardRojo

I never got a Wii nor Wii U, still back when the Wii launched my hype was so great I ended up getting some titles for it lol, which haven't been played at all to this day. I downloaded Dolphin and was planning on trying those games (Brawl, Other M, Rhythm Heaven and Wario Land Shake it) on my laptop, is there a way to configure my Dualshock 4 so it can perfectly recreate a regular controller or a Wiimote, or do I have to get an actual Wiimote and set it up for Dolphin?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I never got a Wii nor Wii U, still back when the Wii launched my hype was so great I ended up getting some titles for it lol, which haven't been played at all to this day. I downloaded Dolphin and was planning on trying those games (Brawl, Other M, Rhythm Heaven and Wario Land Shake it) on my laptop, is there a way to configure my Dualshock 4 so it can perfectly recreate a regular controller or a Wiimote, or do I have to get an actual Wiimote and set it up for Dolphin?

'Perfectly" it tough, because of the general shape and functionality differences, but most games are playable with a standard gamepad with a proper config.

I don't know how do you plan for DS4 to "perfectly" recreate a Wii Remote while it has no IR camera. Classic Controller or GS controller though, this should work very well. I don't remember if Dolphin can understand DS4 as is, but one of the regular input translators should work.

I would actually not recommend buying a Wii Remote ASAP though. Test the games. Maybe you'll come up with something you'll like on KB&M where DS4 with macro buttons won't suffice. And if you decide to go with a Remote, you also need a Sensor Bar for most of really problematic games, which makes things weird if you don't have a Wii already...

Megasoum

Banned
So I started playing Mario Galaxy (using a real WiiMote and a DolphinBar).

The game is working great most of the time(4x Native, 2x MSAA and output to 1080 fullscreen)...

I'm mostly capped at 60FPS but I'm starting to get a lot of slowdown where sometime it will go as low as mid 20s FPS and the sounds gets super scratchy and full of static. I checked the Wiki but it's only talking about the WiiMote Speaker Data and the Skip EFB Access from CPU but both are already disabled.

Any ideas what could be causing the issues?

Atilac

Would vulcan or dx12 help my phenom II x4 and nvidia 1050 run baldur's gate dark alliance? The last stable build dropped to the 30s

HardRojo

Apparently Dolphin doesn't recognize the DS4 if paired straight from Bluetooth, seems like I might have to use a program so that it recognizes it as a 360 controller or something like that? I want to get this sorted out first before I start playing the games I mentioned :(

shockdude

So I started playing Mario Galaxy (using a real WiiMote and a DolphinBar).

The game is working great most of the time(4x Native, 2x MSAA and output to 1080 fullscreen)...

I'm mostly capped at 60FPS but I'm starting to get a lot of slowdown where sometime it will go as low as mid 20s FPS and the sounds gets super scratchy and full of static. I checked the Wiki but it's only talking about the WiiMote Speaker Data and the Skip EFB Access from CPU but both are already disabled.

Any ideas what could be causing the issues?
Your CPU/GPU might be overheating and throttling. Check the temperatures.
Apparently Dolphin doesn't recognize the DS4 if paired straight from Bluetooth, seems like I might have to use a program so that it recognizes it as a 360 controller or something like that? I want to get this sorted out first before I start playing the games I mentioned :(
Yeah you're going to need a driver for your DS4.
I don't have one but I hear the popular ones are InputMapper and DS4Windows. Both map the DS4 controls to 360 controls by default, but you can also customize the controls so that the touchpad and motion controls do things as well.

Megasoum

Banned
Your CPU/GPU might be overheating and throttling. Check the temperatures.

I switched to DX12 instead of OpenGL and it's much better now. I tried to crank it to 4k (downsampled to 1080) and 4x MSAA instead of 2X and it's was still running fine until I got to the first boss where it droped to 40 and started to get sound issues again. I guess I'll go back to 4x res instead of 4k lol

Unbelievable. The textures and shader mods from the Twilight Princess HD fan mod (Tomoya HD) looks unbelievably good. I can't stress it enough. I currently replay TP with that mod enabled and OoT shader mod adding more colors, it looks just breathtaking. I really hope they finish the project.

GZ2E01-1.png

Here's a pic on native res which looks like the Wii version. The difference is amazing.

GZ2E01-2.png

The only textures that were not fitting was the grass field textures in Kakariko Village but yet again, its still very unfinished. I'm so happy to experience the game like that, it has been a long time since I played it.

Megasoum

Banned
Is there a way to turn off an official WiiMote (used with a DolphinBar) other than taking out the batteries? Looks like it doesn't auto-turn off after a while?

Unbelievable. The textures and shader mods from the Twilight Princess HD fan mod (Tomoya HD) looks unbelievably good. I can't stress it enough. I currently replay TP with that mod enabled and OoT shader mod adding more colors, it looks just breathtaking. I really hope they finish the project.

The only textures that were not fitting was the grass field textures in Kakariko Village but yet again, its still very unfinished. I'm so happy to experience the game like that, it has been a long time since I played it.

Wow, is that a normal map texture mod? That's amazing!

Xbudz

I recently got DolphinBar, but can't get my Wiimote Plus (TR) to pair with it.

I've already checked that I have the latest firmware.

Anyone here have experience troubleshooting DolphinBar?

kungfuian

I have a question for Dolphin Vr users. Does anyone know how to run dolphin vr in non-vr mode? When I installed dolphin vr the regular dolphin seems to have disappeared/got overwritten and I don't see an option to switch between vr/non-vr modes. Would really like to be able to play my games in both vive and on a regular screen.

Also does anyone know good sources for occlusion codes (some games seem supported and others not). Wasn't sure if there are additional sources for these.

kungfuian

Just started tinkering with Dolphin and if it's for cube games I've found the Official Wii-U converter and Official Gamecube controller works the best (must use the official nintendo ones, had problems with after market cube controller). I could not get the Dual shock to consistently work (even with an additional program).

Megasoum

Banned
So I guess it's not possible to use Save States on Wii Games when using a real wiimote?

I get crazy desyncs when loading states in SMG1

Painguy

Hey all. Im using ishiiruka on luigis mansion. Im using the autobump feature which works well buuut it seems that dolphin is applying autobump to the shadowmap as well. As a result the shadow acne that isnt normally visible is having a normal map generated for it which results in very annoying lines. Anyone know of a way to avoid this?

Top Bottom