• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Zushin

Emulator noob question, I'm interested in getting a Wii and ripping some GC games. Now does using a PAL version of the games affect the frame rate in Dolphin? I made the mistake of buying PAL PS2 games recently that run at 50hz in PCSX2. Just wondering if thats the same case with GC games.

DonMigs85

Emulator noob question, I'm interested in getting a Wii and ripping some GC games. Now does using a PAL version of the games affect the frame rate in Dolphin? I made the mistake of buying PAL PS2 games recently that run at 50hz in PCSX2. Just wondering if thats the same case with GC games.
Dolphin does have a PAL60 mode in Settings but not sure if all games support that.

jediyoshi

edit: *shakes fist*
2qsT3sP.gif

Is it possible to configure a Dualshock 4 controller in Dolphin?
Yes, it's recognized natively, so under the device dropdown just make sure you've got the right one selected. For me, mine appears as 'DInput/0/Wireless Controller'.

RiggyRob

2qsT3sP.gif

Yes, it's recognized natively, so under the device dropdown just make sure you've got the right one selected. For me, mine appears as 'DInput/0/Wireless Controller'.

Cool - I'll probably keep it plugged in via USB but it's good to know there's no jiggery-pokery you have to fiddle around with to get it working.

Zushin

Assuming a Haswell Intel CPU or newer, 3GHz is very good, 2.5GHz is good, 2GHz is ok.
I hear the Surface Pro 4 handles Dolphin pretty decently.

As fast as possible on an Intel CPU newer than Nehalem i.e. Even Sandy Bridge @ Over 4ghz would suffice. So anything modern with high clock speeds like Skylake will run circles with Dolphin.

As for Surface Pro I think a theoretical Surface Pro 6 running 10nm Cannonlake low voltage will reach 3Ghz unturboed and beyond it with turbo and a much more beefy Iris GPU will finally pull it over the line since Vulkan support will be more mature by then.

Pro 5 will most likely be Kaby Lake which isn't enough imo considering its still on 14nm. Pro 4 has throttling issues and I don't see the 5 beating that issue.
Thanks both. Is it possible to make / buy a relatively small PC that would be 4GHz+? I'm not keen on getting a super-massive gaming tower. The smaller the better.

jediyoshi

Extremely possible. There's really no good reason to build on ATX at all anymore.

Well, if to the extent that you'd have to ask the difference between the two to begin with. Most people don't actually need cars either but the distinction between owning a vehicle and using public transportation is self apparent.

Extremely possible. There's really no good reason to build on ATX at all anymore.
This would be true if M-ATX board designers would stop putting the short PCI-E slot that's ideal for WiFi cards below the main PCI-E x16 slot.

Also, if you live in a hot climate, you might want a big case that can accommodate big fans for maximum air flow.

DonMigs85

This would be true if M-ATX board designers would stop putting the short PCI-E slot that's ideal for WiFi cards below the main PCI-E x16 slot.

Also, if you live in a hot climate, you might want a big case that can accommodate big fans for maximum air flow.

There are Z170 mini-ITX boards with built-in wifi
Also look at this beauty with a GTX 1070 mini

doT9JrH.jpg

YuH2e6v.jpg

Well, if to the extent that you'd have to ask the difference between the two to begin with. Most people don't actually need cars either but the distinction between owning a vehicle and using public transportation is self apparent.

What the what?

SLI is dead. If you need a pcie card, mATX has two full-size slots. Or like the other poster mentioned, get an ITX or mATX board with built-in wifi. There are tons of ITX cases with tons of airflow.

jett

D-Member
Has anyone managed to get a smooth framerate in Wave Race Blue Storm? Or maybe it's just me, but despite the emulator saying it's running at 100% it feels like its constantly skipping frames here and there, like a judder/stuttering. Despite running at 20fps, Wave Race 64 feels a lot smoother thanks to its steady framerate. :p

Has anyone managed to get a smooth framerate in Wave Race Blue Storm? Or maybe it's just me, but despite the emulator saying it's running at 100% it feels like its constantly skipping frames here and there, like a judder/stuttering. Despite running at 20fps, Wave Race 64 feels a lot smoother thanks to its steady framerate. :p

the races run at a steady 30fps for me

i have a very fast pc though

480p

Does anyone know how to remove the pause HUD on Melee using Dolphin? I wanted to take some screenshots without the pause interface.

I'm just here to report that, contrary to what people have told me in this thread, Intel integrated GPUs work very well emulating the GameCube. I've bought a Intel NUC and will use its motherboard on an old console (PS2, PS1 or GameCube, it all depends on air circulation ATM) as a retrogaming machine.

DonMigs85

I'm just here to report that, contrary to what people have told me in this thread, Intel integrated GPUs work very well emulating the GameCube. I've bought a Intel NUC and will use its motherboard on an old console (PS2, PS1 or GameCube, it all depends on air circulation ATM) as a retrogaming machine.

Depends on the game, oftentimes you have to stick to 720p on anything without the L4 cache and you can't use fancy MSAA or SSAA.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Which NUC do you have?

-shadow-

For GC games Wikipedia has a good compatibility list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GameCube_games_with_alternate_display_modes
In short PAL60 support was the exception on GC, and the rule on Wii (though there were exceptions like Little King's Story that didn't support it).
I'm a bit shocked at how few games support PAL 60Hz (and more so that you can for 480p out of some PAL games). Any reason why companies didn't jist include the option in so many games? Seems like a rather simple fix in that time.

Datschge

I'm a bit shocked at how few games support PAL 60Hz (and more so that you can for 480p out of some PAL games). Any reason why companies didn't jist include the option in so many games? Seems like a rather simple fix in that time.
On GC there is no system wide way to set the screen format so the game itself had to offer some setting (hidden or not) on game boot up (usually even before the memory card is accessed, so it has to be done at every single boot up). Most developers just didn't bother with such a hack.

Depends on the game, oftentimes you have to stick to 720p on anything without the L4 cache and you can't use fancy MSAA or SSAA.

Yep. Everything that I've tried worked on 720p at full speed (and some games even in Full HD) so far. I don't really care about going Full HD because the system will also run a lot of even older consoles, so HD resolution is fine. The lack of fancy filtering don't bother me either, it's a sacrifice that I'm willing to do in order to not have to deal with a massive, inefficient and cumbersome PC.

Which NUC do you have?

Man, I spent a lot of time comparing options from MSI, Gigabyte and Intel, which are the ones you could get here, in Brazil. In the end, I got the one with the Core i7 5557U, which have an Iris GPU (although I run some tests on a notebook with a i7 5500U with a lesser GPU and everything runs fine at 720p - fine being a variable here, but if you enable Directx 12 in that system the improvements were noticeable).

If you are in the market for something like this, I'd suggest you wait some more because Intel should release new ones in january, with Kaby Lake processors. But, if you don't want to wait, look for versions with Iris GPU (the Skull Canyon one has a great one, far better than mine, with a quad-core i7 for good measure, but costs a fortune). Or you could look for Zotacs Zboxes and Gigabyte BRIXes with dedicated GPUs.

In my case, a dedicated GPU wasn't a viable option because I'll stuff the motherboard on a console, so space and air flow is crucial. Besides, I'll run it with Recalbox OS, which is a Linux distro and the Intel drivers for Linux are fine, something you can't say about Nvidia and AMD.

And finally, don't believe people saying it won't work. If you have doubts, try it on a notebook: NUCs have the same processors used in a lot of mid range laptops and if it runs in a much more thermal constraint notebook, it certainy will in a NUC.

Theonik

On GC there is no system wide way to set the screen format so the game itself had to offer some setting (hidden or not) on game boot up (usually even before the memory card is accessed, so it has to be done at every single boot up). Most developers just didn't bother with such a hack.
It's also an extra mode to validate with PAL50 being mandatory and a massive pain already.

-shadow-

Shame that this was such a lazy (yes lazy considering you can activate it in a whole bunch of games through Action Replay) way of handling things. But whatever, the from the previous generation 50Hz is pretty much dead so not a problem anymore anyway!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Man, I spent a lot of time comparing options from MSI, Gigabyte and Intel, which are the ones you could get here, in Brazil. In the end, I got the one with the Core i7 5557U, which have an Iris GPU (although I run some tests on a notebook with a i7 5500U with a lesser GPU and everything runs fine at 720p - fine being a variable here, but if you enable Directx 12 in that system the improvements were noticeable).

If you are in the market for something like this, I'd suggest you wait some more because Intel should release new ones in january, with Kaby Lake processors. But, if you don't want to wait, look for versions with Iris GPU (the Skull Canyon one has a great one, far better than mine, with a quad-core i7 for good measure, but costs a fortune). Or you could look for Zotacs Zboxes and Gigabyte BRIXes with dedicated GPUs.

In my case, a dedicated GPU wasn't a viable option because I'll stuff the motherboard on a console, so space and air flow is crucial. Besides, I'll run it with Recalbox OS, which is a Linux distro and the Intel drivers for Linux are fine, something you can't say about Nvidia and AMD.

And finally, don't believe people saying it won't work. If you have doubts, try it on a notebook: NUCs have the same processors used in a lot of mid range laptops and if it runs in a much more thermal constraint notebook, it certainy will in a NUC.

Thanks! I'm not really in the market right now but I do find that market pretty fascinating. I used to work in a lab on my college campus and they needed a small computer, and I ended up ordering a bunch of Gigabyte Brix for them. I got the most powerful version at the time and I would play around with those a bit. Pretty cool little boxes, but they were loud as fuck.

I actually have an Intel NUC from about 3 years ago I think. Yours looks nice, mine is significantly less capable. Really at the time I was looking for a box to stream with Steam and do some media stuff. For those purposes it worked well, but yeah I was eyeing the higher end models at the time.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yo dawgs, is Vulkan mode just super experimental? When I try it out I just get varying shades of blue covering the entire screen, games run though, evident by the music and sound effects, no errors in the log either. AMD GPU if that matters. I get that there's zero reason to even use it over DX11, just curious.

DonMigs85

Yo dawgs, is Vulkan mode just super experimental? When I try it out I just get varying shades of blue covering the entire screen, games run though, evident by the music and sound effects, no errors in the log either. AMD GPU if that matters. I get that there's zero reason to even use it over DX11, just curious.
You have the latest driver? Once they iron out the bugs and add more features Vulkan will be the best API for AMD cards.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You have the latest driver? Once they iron out the bugs and add more features Vulkan will be the best API for AMD cards.

Yes I am, I even DDU'd them (twice) to see if it was some driver error, but nope, odd. Various games give various degrees of various shades of flashing blue. Tried looking elsewhere for answers but I haven't seen anyone else with the same issue, I even got the DOOM demo to see if Vulkan worked properly, which it does, so I'm at a loss.

Edit: I'm so dumb, all I had to do was disable the External Framebuffer for it to work lol. Cool to know it's not something with my hardware setup at least :D. The implementation obviously needs some time to mature, noticing visible seams between polygons and such, good thing DX11/12 both work fine in the meantime.

DonMigs85

I think he's referring to how AMD cards don't do nearly as well in OpenGL as Nvidia cards. Nvidia has a performance advantage in DX11 in general as well.

Yes, there's the odd game that really needs OpenGL for the best quality/performance or even just to run at all, but OpenGL is horrible on AMD GPUs. Vulkan will help solve that. I think the external framebuffer also works in Virtual Mode. A few games like Auto Modellista need it to display properly.

Mr_Moogle

The PAL versions of GCN games don't have progressive scan mode either. It's a bummer for people trying to do this legally by actually backing up their old games.

Dereck

I know it's possible to play a game like Soul Calibur II on the Gamecube, 2-players online.

Asking, is it possible to play a game like Donkey Kong Country Returns, 2-players online?

The PAL versions of GCN games don't have progressive scan mode either. It's a bummer for people trying to do this legally by actually backing up their old games.

Besides games that tie 16:9 to progressive scan, is there even a reason to use it? GCN games are rendered internally in progressive than converted to interlace aren't they? Which is skipped entirely when emulating on pc. At least I can't remember running any gcn games in dolphin in interlaced, versus ps2 games which can be quite troublesome.

jediyoshi

How can you set arbitrary resolutions for the internal resolution? Wouldn't the nightly builds be limited to the 8x preset?

So does this new method of generating shaders eliminate stuttering? Because I'd gladly take a longer boot for a completely smooth experience.

So does this new method of generating shaders eliminate stuttering? Because I'd gladly take a longer boot for a completely smooth experience.
It's not Ubershaders, so not by itself. BUT maybe you could take someone else's prefilled UID cache (not sure how legal would that be) or perhaps count on someone writing a cache generator? Anyway it looks like this is not really ready yet.

TSM

This method still needs you to compile the shader once before you gain the benefits. So this won't eliminate shader compilation stuttering on initial play throughs. One of the benefits is that the shader cache should need to be invalidated far less often.

It's not Ubershaders, so not by itself. BUT maybe you could take someone else's prefilled UID cache (not sure how legal would that be) or perhaps count on someone writing a cache generator? Anyway it looks like this is not really ready yet.

This method still needs you to compile the shader once before you gain the benefits. So this won't eliminate shader compilation stuttering on initial play throughs. One of the benefits is that the shader cache should need to be invalidated far less often.
Alright, thanks for helping me understand.

Top Bottom