• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Stallion Free said:
Sound is pretty much severely broken in DKCR at the moment, otherwise it seems to be more or less perfect performance/graphics wise.

Using the newest build (6480 x64), and xaudio2 and DSound, sound issues have been nearly eliminated.

If you get the static white noise at the beginning of a new level, bringing up the Home menu and then returning to the game will eliminate that as well.

With nearly perfect sound, 60 FPS and 1080p, Dolphin is THE system of choice for DKCR. :D

Glad to hear DK is working even better, if only because it means I'll hopefully see some amazing screens. :) I loved the level Temple Topple - the sunset with Rambi in the 2nd half was beautiful.

Hi, everybody!

So my processor is on the low end for Dolphin (Intel i5 750, 2.6 Ghz, quad core) and it feels like it's severely bottlenecking everything...and initially I was only getting 45 FPS in SMG2's tutorial level, but even so...I'm immensely impressed with all of this. A few quick questions/issues, however.

1. I read through some of the set-up guides for SMG1/2 but couldn't find any fixes for the sound cutting out. Specifically, for the music cutting out in the middle of the first star, up to and including the boss fight. When I finished the fight, it seemed like the music picked back up. Any ideas?

2. I tried Stallion's SMG1 build for SMG2 and while I saw an immense improvement in framerate and basically everything, Dolphin crashed near the end of the tutorial level. Ideally, I'd love to keep these settings but I'm not sure where to start in terms of troubleshooting.

3. Until I grab a bluetooth adapter, I'm stuck using KBM. While I love, love, love using my mouse for SMG, is there a way to up the sensitivity? Right now the pointer feels waaaay too slow.

Further, does anyone know of a way to "cheat" Dolphin's control config so I can use, say, a 360 controller for movement? I'm on Dolphin 6480M, by the way.

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer.

Cruceh

Banned
Anyone know how to make it easier to sync the wiimote with the pc? I can't sync it up for some reason; the 4 lights just keep blinking and nothing happens.

I use to be able to do it, but the new versions won't let me I guess

Drkirby said:
How Processor Intensive is Dolphin with Gamecube games?

I think it depends on the games. When I had a Phenom X4 940, I could run P.N.0.3. at full speed, but Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions at about 70% full speed. If it's a graphically simple game, it should run moderately well with a 3.0GHZ and up Intel dual or Intel/AMD quad.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Peeps should start watermarking the screenshots they take if they don't want them to get pilfered by other sites.

Not that it would stop a person from just cropping around it if they were really determined, but it might make people think twice at least.

I'm sure Evil or someone will pony up a transparent GAF logo for watermarking if someone asks.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lost Fragment said:
Peeps should start watermarking the screenshots they take if they don't want them to get pilfered by other sites.

Not that it would stop a person from just cropping around it if they were really determined, but it might make people think twice at least.

I'm sure Evil or someone will pony up a transparent GAF logo for watermarking if someone asks.
Nah, watermarks make screens look fucking ugly. It's more fun to shit on the site and call them out on fucking laziness and then make a thread about how gaming journalism will forever be utterly worthless shit.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Stallion Free said:
Nah, watermarks make screens look fucking ugly. It's more fun to shit on the site and call them out on fucking laziness and then make a thread about how gaming journalism will forever be utterly worthless shit.

Good point.

Cipherr

Can I do this?

I7 950
AMD 6870
6GB ram.

If so anyone mind telling me which drives are verified to run my GC games? I dont want to bother with trying to dump anything assuming my system can handle it.

IrishNinja

yeah, my forthcoming rig is i5-760, same GPU, 4GB of RAM and i've been told i should be able to run most everything great as long as i OC said chip up to @ 3.5ghz, which i intend to do just for this application. if you can't run damn near any game on high settings with those specs (or thereabouts) i'm gonna be salty, really hoping to all but replace my GC/Wii with this as the scene continues improving.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Slightly on-topic question:

So, I want to use my Wiimote as a controller for my PC games. (Mainly stuff on Steam.) I know the best way to do that is with GlovePie, but for some reason, GlovePie doesn't like my computer. After connecting my Wiimote to my computer, as soon as I run a GlovePie script, the Wiimote disconnects after about 15 seconds of use.

When I use my Wiimote in Dolphin, it stays connected and works perfectly, so it's clearly an issue with GlovePie. So I have two questions: Are there any GlovePie gurus in here that could help me out? Or, is there a way to connect my Wiimote via Dolphin and use it as a regular controller in other games?

Nabs

So glad sound in DKCR works well now. I'm getting pretty good performance.

Dacvak said:
Slightly on-topic question:

So, I want to use my Wiimote as a controller for my PC games. (Mainly stuff on Steam.) I know the best way to do that is with GlovePie, but for some reason, GlovePie doesn't like my computer. After connecting my Wiimote to my computer, as soon as I run a GlovePie script, the Wiimote disconnects after about 15 seconds of use.

When I use my Wiimote in Dolphin, it stays connected and works perfectly, so it's clearly an issue with GlovePie. So I have two questions: Are there any GlovePie gurus in here that could help me out? Or, is there a way to connect my Wiimote via Dolphin and use it as a regular controller in other games?
Do you live in Israel?

Hopefully you get it to work, I'd love to try my Wiimote in a random game.

Request: Could someone screencap the Project Sonic Colors logo in said game, it's at the beginning of the credits. Maybe make the resolution in 640x480 since it'll just get blown up in HD.

JADS

Hero of Legend said:
Request: Could someone screencap the Project Sonic Colors logo in said game, it's at the beginning of the credits. Maybe make the resolution in 640x480 since it'll just get blown up in HD.

How about this (British spelling though :lol )? Got it by using the texture dump functionality in Dolphin, it is a transparent png. Or do you want it with the background?

sncp8p_ad92f6a659b8714zse4.png

Chittagong

Gold Member
JADS said:
Great, that's an important step. Windows 64bit is recommended since the directX plugins are better than the OpenGL plugin. It's possible to run Dolphin under OSX, however performance is a bit lacking. What are the specs of your Macbook?

Unless you have a specific DVD drive it's impossible to use your PC to read Wii discs. What you can do is use your Wii to dump the disc (Use something like the CFG USB loader or Superdump) to an external HD and use that to transfer the game to your PC. I bought a wireless sensor bar as a replacement for the Wii's, but anything that emits IR should be fine (Even candles). The sensorbar doesn't need to be connected to the PC, since it doesn't sent any data. A bluetooth adaptor is advisable though, since a few games require the Wiimote.

Interesting. I can just power my Wii on then since it powers up the sensor bar and I'm using the same TV. My MacBook is the highest spec mid-2010 i7 version. So the only missing part is then hooking up my Wiimote to the MBP to play, which I suppose is what the bt adaptor you mention is for.

JADS

Chittagong said:
Interesting. I can just power my Wii on then since it powers up the sensor bar and I'm using the same TV. My MacBook is the highest spec mid-2010 i7 version. So the only missing part is then hooking up my Wiimote to the MBP to play, which I suppose is what the bt adaptor you mention is for.

2.66 Ghz is a bit on the low side for heavy emulation in Dolphin. Highly depends on how far Turbo is going to overclock your Macbook. On 3.33 Ghz you could get some nice performance, but I am not sure if Turbo will take your CPU there with 2 cores on max. Thank God you have a decent mobile Nvidia card in the rig though.

Puncture said:
Can I do this?

I7 950
AMD 6870
6GB ram.

If so anyone mind telling me which drives are verified to run my GC games? I dont want to bother with trying to dump anything assuming my system can handle it.

Stock should be fine, give it a bit more juice (Say 400-500 mhz) and you shouldn't have any problems. Here is a tutorial with a supported drive list. If you have a Wii softmod it and use that.

bridegur

If it's possible to run Dolphin on a Mac, would someone mind running me through the steps? I'm tired of switching back and forth between OSX and Windows.

JADS said:
How about this (British spelling though :lol )? Got it by using the texture dump functionality in Dolphin, it is a transparent png. Or do you want it with the background?

sncp8p_ad92f6a659b8714zse4.png

AWESOME! :D

As a Canadian, it's correct either way. XD

Thanks!

Edit: In all honesty though, if someone has the NTSC version, it'd be nice to have the COLORS version as well. :p It kinda looks like it was designed for it to be without the U you know? :p

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Would a modern GPU like the Radeon 6850 be strong enough to play Wii Games at 1080P in combination with a phenom 2 x4 +3GHz ? And which GPUs run better with dolphin...nvidia or amd ones ?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
cw_sasuke said:
Would a modern GPU like the Radeon 6850 be strong enough to play Wii Games at 1080P in combination with a phenom 2 x4 +3GHz ? And which GPUs run better with dolphin...nvidia or amd ones ?
GPU is barely taxed at all. It's all in the CPU. You can run some titles at full speed, but Intel is much preferred. Overclocking your CPU as far as you can (probably ~3.5 will help a tad as well).

Maybe someone can point you do some AMD type builds or something, but I don't know any of that.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Hazaro said:
GPU is barely taxed at all. It's all in the CPU. You can run some titles at full speed, but Intel is much preferred. Overclocking your CPU as far as you can (probably ~3.5 will help a tad as well).

Maybe someone can point you do some AMD type builds or something, but I don't know any of that.

Thanks for the answer. So barely taxed at all, mean which GPU is needed for 1080P play - would a AMD 5770 already be enough for 1080P ? If its supposed to be an Intel CPU i will probably wait for their new CPU line...

jediyoshi

cw_sasuke said:
Thanks for the answer. So barely taxed at all, mean which GPU is needed for 1080P play - would a AMD 5770 already be enough for 1080P ? If its supposed to be an Intel CPU i will probably wait for their new CPU line...

The mid to upper cards from the 4000 series are probably fine. And the current Intel CPU line is already fairly new, I use a i5-750 and it handles a majority of stuff fine.

idf6Fu.jpg

idbkaW.jpg

idf0qW.jpg

idbhSO.jpg

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
geeeeeeez those screens.....damn! Since I sold my wii some time ago I don't really have any plans to get into dolphin but I'd LOVE to see some 60fps gameplay from GAFers <3

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
SuperÑ said:
Which CPU would you recommend to run Dolphin without major hiccups? (And don't say a +500$ i7 :lol )
For now $0 . . .
because Sandy Bridge isn't out yet.
:D

However, i5's are fine as you can read from some of the posters here.

jediyoshi

hateradio said:
For now $0 . . .
because Sandy Bridge isn't out yet.
:D

However, i5's are fine as you can read from some of the posters here.

Yeah, i7s start at $280. i5-750 is nice since it's a quad core (although it doesn't take advantage of all cores) priced lower than the rest of the i7s and just barely above the rest of the dual core i5s. Not too familiar with the core 2's, though anything stock above 3ghz is probably fine.

Datschge said:
For those who have strong graphic cards combined with a weakish CPU be sure to enable OpenCL.
how this do? :D

Since what builds has this option been available/stable for? Do both ATi/NV GPUs take advantage of this without problems?

clip

I've tried setting up Dolphin for the first time using the guide in the OP, and the game I'm testing on is Mario Galaxy. It's slow, way too slow. I've got an i7 2.8 ghz, GTX 260, and 8gb of RAM.

I've gone over every setting in the OP and the custom Mario Galaxy settings in this post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21373202&postcount=414

It starts off fine when Mario is running to the castle grounds, but once I get over the first hill to see the castle and festival, the game goes into slo-motion. Suggestions anyone?

zaidr

How do I go to the Config/Advanced settings? I'm only on Basic settings, I don't see the rest of the Advanced settings options..? Runnings Rev 6480.

jediyoshi

zaidr said:
How do I go to the Config/Advanced settings? I'm only on Basic settings, I don't see the rest of the Advanced settings options..? Runnings Rev 6480.

'Graphics' button on the tool bar > Advanced tab

Top Bottom