• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

bridegur

TheExodu5 said:
First off, you need Windows.

Second, what are the specs of your Mac?

Oh, I actually have it running in Boot Camp, but a page or two back someone mentioned that it's possible to run it on OSX (although not as well). I have the latest 27" iMac with an i7, so I figured I'd give it a shot just so I can avoid switching back and forth between Windows and OSX.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Stallion Free said:
Not really. Takes maybe 30 minutes to get everything set up. And come on, that system? If that can't run it well than like nothing can.
My first experience was pretty off putting. Of course with fantastic guides and how to's it is a lot easier now.
And that system will fly of course :p

TheExodu5

Banned
bridegur said:
Oh, I actually have it running in Boot Camp, but a page or two back someone mentioned that it's possible to run it on OSX (although not as well). I have the latest 27" iMac with an i7, so I figured I'd give it a shot just so I can avoid switching back and forth between Windows and OSX.

Didn't know you could run it in OSX, my bad.

IrishNinja

Stallion Free said:
Not really. Takes maybe 30 minutes to get everything set up.

sorry to bug you with this one again, but: if i want to keep a number of GC/wii games loaded for dolphin, it's ideal to leave a folder with each iso/whatever and the exe of the build that works best for that game, yeah? then what, a text file with the ideal settings (taken from our guides & such) or can i just save them per each build somehow? i don't mind the initial setup, just wondering how to optimize playing across a few games, even if that means staying on the scene/current builds a bit more.

jediyoshi

IrishNinja said:
sorry to bug you with this one again, but: if i want to keep a number of GC/wii games loaded for dolphin, it's ideal to leave a folder with each iso/whatever and the exe of the build that works best for that game, yeah? then what, a text file with the ideal settings (taken from our guides & such) or can i just save them per each build somehow? i don't mind the initial setup, just wondering how to optimize playing across a few games, even if that means staying on the scene/current builds a bit more.

Everything Dolphin uses is self contained within it's build's folder. You can keep all your games in one folder and have each separate build still point to that one folder just fine.

The settings you set from each build don't affect each other as long as each build is in it's own folder.

zaidr

1ipa3.png

Wheres the Config/Advanced?

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Where's the official web site for this?

dophin.emu.com is not the official site anymore and dolphin-emulator doesn't work.

Where can I get the latest build?

JADS

bridegur said:

I don't have much experience with macs but here are some native mac build. Setup should be the same as the windows version, except for the fact that you will not have DX.

Nabs

Fatghost said:
Where's the official web site for this?

dophin.emu.com is not the official site anymore and dolphin-emulator doesn't work.

Where can I get the latest build?
if you click on the google code page, you'll see links in the comment section

Dascu

Have they managed to fix the bullet bug for Killer7? Your bullets went right through enemies and you couldn't harm them. Basically made the game unplayable.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Incredibly stupid question time: How do I get games into Dolphin? I've got dolphin and the Homebrew Channel, but where to go from here is beyond me. Please forgive my staggering technological ignorance ahead of time.

So I was moving the old WiiWare demos from my Wii to my computer via SD card, and now I can't seem to find where the actual games are. All that's in any of the folders are .bin files that you can't really open. Is it possible to get them in a format playable on Dolphin this way, or would I need to homebrew my Wii?

jediyoshi

Pseudo_Sam said:
Incredibly stupid question time: How do I get games into Dolphin? I've got dolphin and the Homebrew Channel, but where to go from here is beyond me. Please forgive my staggering technological ignorance ahead of time.

You may be more successful looking for help in the GAF Wii Homebrew thread. It can be a fairly lengthy process to explain but nothing too difficult if you've already managed to get homebrew working. You'll want some kind of usb storage (flash drive, ext hdd) that you can dump the game to though.

I've been sleeping on this for far too long. It's amazing. I'm such a believer now. In fact I almost want to exclusively play my Wii games on the computer. I just want everything to work well so I don't have to go back. Just need to get one of those bluetooth things.

Hopefully sometime next year I will be playing Xenoblade in English on my computer with a 360 controller.

Dascu

Further on Killer7:
- In revision r6496, the sound and music works fine (it doesn't drop after a few seconds), but the bullets don't hit the enemies.
- In older revisions, the bullets hit the enemies, but the music drops out.

I've compared settings between both of the builds that I've got installed, and as far I notice they're the same. Yet I still get these strange issues. Any help?

Dascu

Drkirby said:
Maybe compare the builds and try and fix the code your self?
Not sure how I could do that. I also don't know where to start looking. It might be one tiny line of code tucked away in a file that's messing things up.

RedFalcon

Neo Member
Great thread. Gave the emulator a whirl last night and it impressed the hell out of me. Cranked everything up and all the games I tried were fluid -- no frame drops or weird glitches of any sort.

Durante

Castor Krieg said:
How to get Wii Remote working? Do I only need 1-2USD USB Bluetooth plugged in?
Yes. Connecting more than one remote might need a few tries, but once they're connected it's pretty much perfect in recent versions.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Castor Krieg said:
Do I also need the sensor bar mentioned in the video above?
Yeah, otherwise the Wii pointer will never show. You can use the Wii's but that means you have to have the Wii on. For convenience's sake I dropped 15$ on the Nyko wireless sensor bar that uses AA batteries.

Durante

You need some kind of sensor bar (or a jury-rigged setup with leds). Personally I use the original Wii bar, but it's a bit inconvenient (and wasteful) since you need to turn on the Wii to power it.

Thx guys, I will get a sensor bar, they are cheap as well. I could put Wii next to my monitor but:

1. Don't know if I can connect Wii using VGA/DVI.

2. Got HP w2228h LCD, the games will probably look ass.

Nabs

L0st Id3ntity said:
So what's the best config for DKCR right now? I'm running it great but there are some annoying slowdowns occasionally.
use one of the more recent builds (xx80+). for audio (dsp), i use xaudio instead of dsound. also right click the game and enable block merging and dlist cache for some speed up.

Mesijs

This makes me remind how much I would like a RE4 remake on PS3 in HD with trophies etc, just to have a good excuse to play it again.

Stallion Free said:
Yeah, otherwise the Wii pointer will never show. You can use the Wii's but that means you have to have the Wii on. For convenience's sake I dropped 15$ on the Nyko wireless sensor bar that uses AA batteries.
I remember a friend of mine had a wireless sensor bar that needed something utterly daft like 6 AA batteries plus it broke in a few months (due in part to being badly constructed). The Nyko one is slightly better but the 4AA batteries is still an annoying requirement
It could be worse, could be AAA batteries like some on the market :lol

Castor Krieg said:
Thx guys, I will get a sensor bar, they are cheap as well. I could put Wii next to my monitor but:

1. Don't know if I can connect Wii using VGA/DVI.

2. Got HP w2228h LCD, the games will probably look ass.
1.You can but you'll have to buy additional gear along the lines of an upscaler. I personally use the one Vidigi make. Apart from not seeming to like bootmii it works well now that I've worked out which resolutions my monitor likes.

2. End of the day you can't do a lot with the 480p so 3D stuff tends to look horrid thanks to jaggles. If you've used an SDTV its like using RF instead of S-video (or RGB scart) as you get the inherant feeling it can look better than this (in this case via emulation).

I'd say its sort of the depth of field is the real advantage with Dolphin. Shame in games like Klonoa I have to run in 720p to keep speed up (its the tweaking of endless options I hate with Dolphin plus the fact the program likes to crash rather then end gameplay) as my processor is a bit on the slow side (2.93GHz i7) and even then the speed isn't constant 100% (I'd say at least 85%, this is sort of the drawbakc with Dolphin, Wii Hardware always runs as it should, Dolphin can get bottlenecked by certain graphical effects).

That said Penta Tentacles does run well at 1080p (its one of the few WiiWare games I've been able to make a successful dump of*) and no point posting a full screenshot so I'll do a cropped one to explain the graphics (and its a JPEG as 2MB pngs are my pet peeve with this thread):
WA8P01-1.jpg

As you can background is SD (or the noise filter is anyway), as are some graphical elements in the foreground. It does feel like it slows down from time to time but from what I can tell it maintains 50FPS (I have PAL60 enabled etc so this part confuses me, I suppose I could do a side-by-side with actual hardware to see any speed differences) but the main thing is the details in the tentacles and the orbs themselves (I guess they must be vectors and shaders? you also see some in the background?)

*-You work round one problem to find yourself with another which takes you right back to your original problem :lol

jediyoshi

Sega1991 said:

Nicee :lol Too bad DKCR crashes using OpenGL. I'm sure you could get a post processing shader to recreate that effect to play with in real time. There's already one that does vignetting and another that does greyscaling.

Nabs

Gotta say, I like the move to the new server (dolphin-emu/dolphin-emulator). Being able to download revisions right off the server is awesome.

jediyoshi

zaidr said:
Whats the difference between SVN and SSE4 versions of the emulators available on the second link, apart from it doesn't work on my system?
I believe SVN is just a reference to the setup they have for keeping the revisions in track and the different SSE builds are builds that are optimized for those instruction sets if your CPU supports it. I haven't read on them performing any miracles as far as performance, but I suppose I don't run into much trouble with the regular builds on the official site

TheOGB

Banned
So is it possible to play games straight from the discs, or do I have to dump them?

That seems like a question I should know the answer to

Top Bottom