• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Durante

It's an interesting question. The first instinct would be to say no way, but it does have the advantage that Cell and Broadway are both Power architecture chips. So it may be possible to do some more efficient CPU emulation than on x86 PCs. I still doubt it will amount to much.

Kenka said:
Sounds yummy. What an uppercut in Nintendo's face though, they would probably not like that at all. But I don't care, this is too much of a good feature for PS3.
dunno.. don't you still need to buy the games?

Kenka

Always-honest said:
dunno.. don't you still need to buy the games?

Yes. But
my Wii is lost
and many PS3 games are not available on PC.

I was reluctant to buy a HD console this gen, even though there were many games that looked awesome on both PS3 and X360. But now in my situation there is no reason to hesitate.

Gosh, it currently is the best reason to buy Move.

KevinCow

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Oh hey, turning off the hud for screens is pretty nice. Time to go back to the start lololol.

http://www.abload.de/img/dolphin2010-12-0216-51rd09.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Oh wow. That makes a surprisingly huge difference. More like this would be awesome.

JADS

I doubt the PS3 port is going to be decent enough to run most games the way Dolphin on a PC does. Unless the creator does some godlike optimization. However, I would love to be proven wrong :lol

Minsc

Gold Member
Doesn't the PS3 basically disable it's GPU when not running in it's protected/secure mode? I remember reading there wasn't even enough power to playback HD video in Linux because of it, I don't see how this would be at all acceptable, unless the PS3 has since been hacked.

Platy

So ... now if a person asks for a game like Epic Mickey to appear on ps3 it will not be considered Port Begging ? xD

probably will only work for "lighter" games 2d sprite plataformers and wiiware stuff...

Pooya

Minsc said:
Doesn't the PS3 basically disable it's GPU when not running in it's protected/secure mode? I remember reading there wasn't even enough power to playback HD video in Linux because of it, I don't see how this would be at all acceptable, unless the PS3 has since been hacked.

yes, it is all possible now due to ps3jailbreak.

Minsc

Gold Member
Charred Greyface said:
Wouldn't it still be cheaper to build your own PC? Or am i reading the minimun recommended specs for Dolphin wrong?

Well if it had native Move support, and gave you access to PS3 games (as a PS3 tends to do), that'd be a pretty decent factor for some of people. Now that I see the system's been hacked, my only concern would be that dolphin tends to need fast CPUs for some games, and all the extra cores of the PS3 won't do squat (past 2), but that's probably just a matter of optimization / time. Eventually it shouldn't be a problem.

If only the PS3 drive could natively read Wii discs, then with this you could make the SD Wii completely a thing of the past.

StevieP

Banned
PS3 is nowhere near powerful enough, in my opinion. The Power cores inside the PS3 are quite different in architecture than the G4-style CPU in the Wii. Like comparing an x86 chip to Itanium or something like that. Whether the instruction sets would correlate you'd have to ask somebody who's worked on both chips.

If an i5 has trouble (which handily smokes the cell) you'd better belive it'll take some talented programming.

Have yourself some RE4 lava room!

vxkwsn.jpg

2elfkf4.png

2njg9bd.png

ok4u2t.png

Hard to believe this was released six years ago.

Drkirby said:
Is the PS3 powerful enough for Dolphin?

Considering PC's many times more powerful than PS3 is need to get some games running smoothly, I'd say no.

Found this googling.

Dolphins core is a jit recompiler that recompiles powerpc instructions to x86. Cell BE is a completely different architecture! We would have to start from scratch. Also the Cell architecture relies on SPEs to provide the high level of ILP that gives it it's strength. Simple put even if we completely remade dolphin from scratch to run on the PS3 it would perform horribly since its practically impossible to design dolphin to take advantage of that type of architecture. Not to mention 256 MB of main ram and 256 MB of vdram is completely insufficient for this type of emulation. The PS3 doesn't even have half the amount of ram that dolphin usually uses. On top of that the PS3 uses a G77 (same chip used to make the geforce 7800 series cards for desktops) which is only enough to run most games at 640 x 480 smoothly.

Sony couldn't even get their official PS2 emulator working well enough on the PS3 and they have access to all the technical docs, schematics, SDK's etc.. Could you imagine trying to get something like Dolphin working on a PS3 with as little documentation as there is for the GC/Wii, not to mention that the GC/Wii are more powerful than the PS2 hardware?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hey it's PS3 fantasy time on Gaf, cut them some slack. First a thread wondering why games aren't actually 1080p on PS3 and now Wii games emulated on a PS3 in a playable form :lol

I wonder what will be dreamed up next.

(I do own a PS3).

Emitan

Cow Mengde said:
Considering PC's many times more powerful than PS3 is need to get some games running smoothly, I'd say no.

Found this googling.
Awsome! The PS3 can run Wii games at almost the same level as a Wii! It only does everything! :lol

StevieP

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Hey it's PS3 fantasy time on Gaf, cut them some slack. First a thread wondering why games aren't actually 1080p on PS3 and now Wii games emulated on a PS3 in a playable form :lol

(I do own a PS3).

You'd have an easier time directly running X360 games on the PS3 than you would emulating the Wii. At least the main cores of the 360 are pretty much the same a the main core on the PS3.

This project is a non-starter by the sound of it, I'm not even sure why it was suggested in that original link.

Prime Blue said:
Have yourself some RE4 lava room!

Hard to believe this was released six years ago.

BTW, are you using any high resolution texture hacks for this game? I saw one a few weeks ago and even posted pictures of it here.

Someone should really load up those hacks and show us what RE4 looks like on Dolphin.

Hey it's PS3 fantasy time on Gaf, cut them some slack. First a thread wondering why games aren't actually 1080p on PS3 and now Wii games emulated on a PS3 in a playable form

I wonder if anyone here actually believed the 4D 1080p 120fps stuff back in 2006.

pcostabel said:
the PS3 PPU is a PowerPC. It can run Wii code natively.
Right, it's not like Wii code would ever reference any internal hardware in a specific, assumptive way. You can just stick a Wii disc in and go.

Haunted

Stallion Free said:

heh, I was about to say.

pcostabel said:
the PS3 PPU is a PowerPC. It can run Wii code natively.
Exactly. Someone just needs to shine that shit up for the cell and...
lol

Speaking of PS3 I finally got the dual shock to work with the emulator. Still not sure which bluetooth dongle to go for (one that won't give me problems) so the DS3 is certainly less awkward than the keyboard in the meanwhile.

One thing I won't be able to reconcile is how on PlayStation controllers the bottom button (X) is the accept button. On Nintendo controllers the right button (A) is the accept button. When I have a PlayStation controller in my hand, it just feels like if I want to accept I must press the bottom button. While with a Nintendo controller (classic controller pro) my thumb automatically targets A.

Jailbreak is interesting but I'm not too interested in using PS3 for Dolphin. Can't help but feeling that what I can do with it would be compromised. Enhanced Wii emulating is what I have the Core i7 for. And I'm just recently getting into Dolphin. Dolphin wasn't on my mind when I bought it.

I echo the sentiment that the real HD of the emulator does have something on the almost HD in a lot of cases of 360/PS3

Finally I hope this gets to the point where I can buy Wii games, rip them to my hard drive and almost never open the case again.

Edit: Actually it kind of already is that way already with USB loading. NMH2, MH3, TvC, SMG2, M:OM, have not seen the Wii's drive but once or twice. I like it this way.

Cow Mengde said:
BTW, are you using any high resolution texture hacks for this game? I saw one a few weeks ago and even posted pictures of it here.
No, it's the original. I don't like replaced textures, they may be sharper but they hardly ever make the environments look right.

TheOGB said:
So I just wanna post this again before we get really lost in all this new technobabble
Unless you have some stupidly obscure model of LG drive you're going to have to dump them..using a Wii...follow the links in the first post of this topic.

Starwolf_UK said:
*-You work round one problem to find yourself with another which takes you right back to your original problem :lol
And sometimes the solution is a completely different thing to what you initially imagined...sad thing is it was really fast and easy too :lol

So, Bit.Trip Runner. (using r6206...yes that must be an ancient build by now...) Sound feels a big lagged...and my hopes of abusing savestates (weaksauce I know) are dashed by the fact reloading them likes to randomly lock up the remote most of the time (as in you'll press a button but it'll be held down and the emulator refuses to accept any other input). 2 screenshots:
WRUPXS-1.png

Yes its a fucking PNG but its only 178kb:D
WRUPXS-2.jpg

I also tried Bit.Trip void (nice and clean, scales well, I think the whole series will be like this), Icarian (crashed after making save :lol solution?*) and And Yet it moves (yeah...to make the game 40MB graphics did get sacrificed so it looks nowhere as good as the PC version at 1080p, also refused to create saves claiming something was corrupt...I'm guessing importing a save is a way round this*).

*-
Try upgrading from loldionsaur dolphin bulid?

TheOGB

Banned
Starwolf_UK said:
Unless you have some stupidly obscure model of LG drive you're going to have to dump them..using a Wii...follow the links in the first post of this topic.
Eh, I thought so. Thanks.

Nabs

starwolf: if you notice lag in sidescrollers, try using opengl and enabling vsync

those shots look nice. i hope runner gets a good pc port.

DonMigs85

StevieP said:
PS3 is nowhere near powerful enough, in my opinion. The Power cores inside the PS3 are quite different in architecture than the G4-style CPU in the Wii. Like comparing an x86 chip to Itanium or something like that. Whether the instruction sets would correlate you'd have to ask somebody who's worked on both chips.

If an i5 has trouble (which handily smokes the cell) you'd better belive it'll take some talented programming.
G4? Try G3.
Also, the 360 and PS3 PowerPC cores don't support Out-of-Order execution so it's not as simple as you think.

John

this is probably a dumb question but -

i'm trying to play house of the dead: overkill but the pointer (mouse wiimote emulation) keeps defaulting to the center of the screen, like mice do in fullscreen apps. how do i change this to make the pointer operable?

jediyoshi

John said:
this is probably a dumb question but -

i'm trying to play house of the dead: overkill but the pointer (mouse wiimote emulation) keeps defaulting to the center of the screen, like mice do in fullscreen apps. how do i change this to make the pointer operable?

Right click the input box for Up so the Configure Control window pops up. Make sure Keyboard Mouse is selected for the Device.

Scroll to the very bottom and select Cursor Y-, hit the Select button, and then the Set button. Repeat for the rest, here's the binds for reference

Up = Cursor Y-
Down = Cursor Y+
Left = Cursor X-
Right = Cursor X+

You might also want to raise the actual sensitivity for the mouse as on rails shooters can get your hand tired pretty quick.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
StevieP said:
The Power cores inside the PS3 are quite different in architecture than the G4-style CPU in the Wii. Like comparing an x86 chip to Itanium or something like that.
Wii CPU is a modified G3. As for ISA compatibility - the PowerPC parts of it are compliant - customized stuff obviously isn't.
That said I recall Pentiums around ~1.5ghz being enough to emulate 600-700mhz PPCs (and that was half a decade ago), so I doubt CPU emulation would be the major issue - but that's really just a small part of emulation.

Architecturally Wii on PS3 would be easier then say, PS2, but from perspective of porting PC emulator codebases I wouldn't have my hopes up for any of them.

John

jediyoshi said:
Right click the input box for Up so the Configure Control window pops up. Make sure Keyboard Mouse is selected for the Device.

Scroll to the very bottom and select Cursor Y-, hit the Select button, and then the Set button. Repeat for the rest, here's the binds for reference

Up = Cursor Y-
Down = Cursor Y+
Left = Cursor X-
Right = Cursor X+

You might also want to raise the actual sensitivity for the mouse as on rails shooters can get your hand tired pretty quick.
thank you muchly :>

Veal

Starwolf_UK said:

And sometimes the solution is a completely different thing to what you initially imagined...sad thing is it was really fast and easy too :lol

So, Bit.Trip Runner. (using r6206...yes that must be an ancient build by now...) Sound feels a big lagged...and my hopes of abusing savestates (weaksauce I know) are dashed by the fact reloading them likes to randomly lock up the remote most of the time (as in you'll press a button but it'll be held down and the emulator refuses to accept any other input). 2 screenshots:
WRUPXS-1.png

Yes its a fucking PNG but its only 178kb:D
WRUPXS-2.jpg

I also tried Bit.Trip void (nice and clean, scales well, I think the whole series will be like this), Icarian (crashed after making save :lol solution?*) and And Yet it moves (yeah...to make the game 40MB graphics did get sacrificed so it looks nowhere as good as the PC version at 1080p, also refused to create saves claiming something was corrupt...I'm guessing importing a save is a way round this*).

*-
Try upgrading from loldionsaur dolphin bulid?
Fuck that's hot! How are Phenoms when it comes to dolphin? I'm building a new pc and it'd be great to be able run my Wii games at a higher res!

This is kind of off topic but these screens are so amazing I have to know. Will it be possible (and if so, probable) for Nintendo to make the Wii HD or whatever it will be called so that it can upscale Wii games like emulation can? Because that would be awesome.

brochiller said:
This is kind of off topic but these screens are so amazing I have to know. Will it be possible (and if so, probable) for Nintendo to make the Wii HD or whatever it will be called so that it can upscale Wii games like emulation can? Because that would be awesome.

It seems like some 3rd party could release some sort of box to sit between your Wii and your TV, and do the conversion...but I guess that's easier said than done. I wish such a device existed.

Minsc

Gold Member
JeffDowns said:
It seems like some 3rd party could release some sort of box to sit between your Wii and your TV, and do the conversion...but I guess that's easier said than done. I wish such a device existed.

Such a thing doesn't exist. You have to actually build an emulator to run the game in higher resolutions, and such emulator has to be built on a per-game basis.

Never happened across a whole system, and never will.

Top Bottom