• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump to declare January 20th as National Day of Patriotic Devotion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saganator

From a few minutes ago in case you need to see it again:

It's the *taps loudspeaker* INAUGURAL ADDRESS:

ybTPhDx.jpg

Wait... I've seen this photo before and swore there was some white patches you could see despite the angle. Those white patches appear to be photoshopped out? Am I wrong?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So the US will now celebrate another holiday that is similar to July 4th.

Except this doesn't commemorate anything remotely real. The motherfucker just picked his day of coronation to the godhead (as he sees it) and even named it the day of devotion.

3 King Nebuchadnezzar Donald Trump had a gold statue made, ninety feet high and nine feet wide, and he had it set up in the plain of Dura in the province of Babylon. 2 Then the king gave orders for all his officials to come together—the princes, governors, lieutenant governors, commissioners, treasurers, judges, magistrates, and all the other officials of the provinces. They were to attend the dedication of the statue which King Nebuchadnezzar Donald Trump had set up. 3 When all these officials gathered for the dedication and stood in front of the statue, 4 a herald announced in a loud voice, “People of all nations, races, and languages! 5 You will hear the sound of the trumpets, followed by the playing of oboes, lyres, zithers, and harps; and then all the other instruments will join in. As soon as the music starts, you are to bow down and worship the gold statue that King Nebuchadnezzar Donald Trump has set up. 6 Anyone who does not bow down and worship will immediately be thrown into a blazing furnace.” 7 And so, as soon as they heard the sound of the instruments, the people of all the nations, races, and languages bowed down and worshiped the gold statue which King Nebuchadnezzar Donald Trump had set up.

National Day of Patriotic Devotion...
That very idea would make everyone vomit uncontrollably in most civilized countries.
What a fucking joke. Is Paul Verhoeven part of Trump's cabinet too? This sounds right out of Starship Troopers.

so it's like winter july 4th? but instead of freedom it's imprisonment?

pretty sure he did this just so wallgreens and cvs can sell more cards and teddy bears.

Afrodium

Banned
I hate to say it, but as someone who watches American sports and is fairly bemused by all the constant military pageantry and nationalist fervour this doesn't exactly seem out of character with large sections of your population or with your culture. You guys seem to love this stuff, by and large. The huge flags, the ludicrous importance placed on the anthems, the military flyovers etc... You even have a 'Pledge of Allegiance', which appears bizarre to me as an outsider.

Am I wrong?

Absolutely horrible though, and very eerie echoes of fascism.

No you're not and the worst thing about this is I can already tell a large swath of the country will lap this up and call others un-American for being mad.

BahamutPT

It really baffles me how not many people knew about this.

The signing was done live and even if you didn't watch media outlets talked about it.

Edit: Trump had to ask someone what he was signing.

That very idea would make everyone vomit uncontrollably in most civilized countries.
What a fucking joke. Is Paul Verhoeven part of Trump's cabinet too? This sounds right out of Starship Troopers.
It so blatantly sounds like something from a North Korean calendar that your first instinct is to assume it's not real

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

I'm telling you, Service Equals Citizenship is going to be suggested by someone in the Trump gang.

... do hereby proclaim January 20, 2017, as National Day of Patriotic
Devotion, in order to strengthen our bonds to each other and to
our country -- and to renew the duties of Government to the
people
If I'm reading this right its a day about the government remembering who they work for, rather than some sense of worshipful devotion towards the government and its leaders from the people.

I'm fine with that sentiment.

BlackJet

Here's an idea: Let's go to DC every January 20th to protest for the day. Let's show him just how devoted we are to our country!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom