• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump wants to visit the Temple Mount/Haram

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDailyNewsTw
The ever-incendiary Donald Trump ignited a firestorm of controversy in Israel — just by announcing details of his upcoming visit.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected The Donald’s anti-Muslim rhetoric, Israeli politicians urged a Trump ban, and his plans to a visit a Muslim holy site all spurred an angry threat

The billionaire GOP presidential front-runner was “strongly considering” a trip to the revered Temple Mount, a longtime area of dispute between the Arab world and Israel, according to a Wednesday report in The Jerusalem Times.

“If Trump the racist plans to visit ... the holiest place in the world for Muslims, to harm the sensitivities of the people who he incites, he and Netanyahu will be responsible,” said Knesset member Tabel Abu Arrar.

“Such a visit will set the whole region on fire,” said Abu Arrar, a member of the Arab-dominated Joint List political alliance. “I am warning.”

The holy site in Jerusalem’s Old City is operated by the Jordanian Islamic Trust, and non-Muslims are allowed to visit — but not pray — on Temple Mount.

Trump outraged Muslims worldwide with his call to bar Islamic worshippers from entering the United States after recent terror attacks in Paris and California.

Netanyahu, blasted for agreeing to meet with Trump, issued a statement noting the Dec. 28 get-together was set before Trump’s comments on Muslims.
This will 100% get people killed.

There is already violence, attacks and conflict over the area ongoing in Israel and the Occupied Territories. And the 15 years ago when another politician visited we got the second intifada with 1000+ Israelis killed and 3000+ Palestinians

Hexa

This could get reaaaaaaaally interesting.
file.php

dabig2

This is something both the US government and Israel government should team up and actively prevent using whatever means. What a shitstorm this would cause in the region following Trump's remarks.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Trump deserves the Nobel Peace Prize for having made the entire political and religious spectrum in Jerusalem agree on something.

bionic77

People will get killed over this? They are serious? What the hell is wrong with this world.
Yeah what is the big deal with him visiting it?

He is not saying that he is going to tear it down and turn it into a Starbucks (and make the Palestinians pay for it).

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
"I will go to a wall in Jerusalem and make the Jews pray at it."

cameron

Trump gains nothing by visiting Temple Mount. And access to the site is controlled/restricted, so he wouldn't be allowed anyway.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, Bibi actually criticized Trump?

Wonder if that that'll make him lose a few points with Republicans in the U.S.

Yeah what is the big deal with him visiting it?

He is not saying that he is going to tear it down and turn it into a Starbucks (and make the Palestinians pay for it).
Pope John Paul II visited it but it didn't cause any problems. Ariel Sharon visited it and it started the 2nd intifadah. It's symbolic. A total anti-Muslim bigot visiting the 3rd holiest site in Islam? Yeah no. It's not going to go over well.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I generally dislike the nature of the contested areas over there but The Temple on the Mount is definitely not the holiest site in Islam. This journalist needs to look up there facts.

It is The Holiest Site for Judaism though.

I still can't believe the site is restricted so that non-Muslims have only 1 gate of 11 to use and they can't pray.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
How do they prove you aren't Muslim?

Mohammed, he's a really good friend of mine actually, love the guy, and you should see his kingdom in heaven, talk about luxurious! And huuge. I've actually asked him to consult on one of my many upcoming hotel properties.

Would that be the greatest shitstorm of our era?

that would cause WIII and maybe even a interstellar war with mobile suits

IIRC non-muslims aren't allowed in the Mosque portions that were built later at all.

Are you sure you aren't taking about Mecca?

multiple Popes and world leaders entered the Dome of the Rock before... heck some tourists and journalist if you know how to swindle for a VIP pass

Fusebox

Banned
I'm torn.

On one hand it's just a stupid bit of land that deserves no reverence and I'm happy to see anyone who thinks otherwise get riled up.

On the other hand it'd probably just end in violence and that's no good for anybody.

Are you sure you aren't taking about Mecca?

No I'm thinking of the Dome of the Rock. From wiki:

In 2006, the Temple Mount was reopened to non-Muslim visitors during the hours of 7:30–11:30 am and 1:30–2:30 pm during summer and 7:30–10:30 am and 1:30–2:30 pm during winter. Non-Muslims are prohibited from entering after 2:30 pm and may not enter on Fridays, Saturdays, or Muslim holidays. Entry is through a wooden walkway next to the entrance to the Western Wall. Non-Muslims are prohibited from entering the mosques, entering the Dome of the Rock, and accessing the Temple Mount through the Cotton Market. Visitors are subject to strict security screening.

The whole mount was also banned pre 1967

lupinko

Sounds like a nice place to build the new Trump Tower

It'll be luxurious, we will have fancy carpet and drapes. Three Olympic sized swimming pools, nine world class buffets of esquisite taste, the works. You won't be disappointed.

Quixzlizx

Pope John Paul II visited it but it didn't cause any problems. Ariel Sharon visited it and it started the 2nd intifadah. It's symbolic. A total anti-Muslim bigot visiting the 3rd holiest site in Islam? Yeah no. It's not going to go over well.

It's also the 1st holiest site for Jews. Not that that has anything to do with Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom