• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom announced (id/Bethesda, PC/PS4/XB1, idtech6, 1080p/60fps, gore), first details

Mr Vast

Banned
talking up 1080p/60hz is hilarious, given that the people who care about a new Doom were probably playing Quake 3 at a higher res and framerate 15 years ago.

iffy on ULTRA GORE and melee, excited for speedy movement and shotguns

they obviously talking about consoles... on pc it's 1440p+ or w/e you have as a monitor

GoaThief

Yeah i asked dave on twitter about it..a fucking controller..
Its not a big deal, I'm currently improving my strafe jumping with a controller so whilst it's not as good its perfectly serviceable. Much easier to demo with for sure.

Really looking forward to Doom. People sound hyped.

Trojan X

Banned
.... I myself did not mind ID tech 5, but i'm wondering if ID tech 6 is just an upgraded/changed 5.

Good questions to ask. I remember id being one of the pioneers of graphic engines but after Doom 3 excellence they went one a spiral downwards. I really would love for id to take the lead again in graphical finest. We'll see...

Nzyme32

People are going to jump on me, but i wished they maintained the slow, survival horror-ish gameplay of Doom 3

That's not what people wanted overall from doom 3. They wanted more of the original experience, which is apparently what they are going for now. I don't thing there is anything bad about doom 3, but its not "doom". There are plenty of similar games to doom 3, but few, maybe none that are like doom to me

jem0208

I can't I can't I can't

I. Can't
We get it, you don't like the brutal doom comparisons. What's wrong with lordships gore though?

Gore and good gameplay aren't mutually exclusive. It's quite difficult to properly demo sprawling maze levels with loads off secrets though.

bon

Those bullet points sound great but it's hard to really judge with no gameplay footage.

Fingers crossed that the level design is good and this is the DOOM we all deserve.

BLunted

Banned
owbums.png

Pretty sure that didnt actually happen(the ovation). Would be the biggest moment in loserdom if it did.

Tain

All in all I'm not looking forward to hyperbolic statements made by forum posters comparing this to the older titles while using that stupid "FPS: 1993 vs Today" image as some dumb bible for shortsighted FPS criticism. That's my nightmare when it comes to threads discussing this game, lol.

I'm very curious to see footage. It sounds nice right now.

Remachinate said:
Are all elements of classic games beyond question just because we have nostalgia for them? Can we really say that the horror of pixelated gibs were what made the original Doom a seminal video game classic?

Nostalgia completely aside, the gore was absolutely important. Enough to make it worth preserving.

John carmack was at least playing the game at 1080p.

I believe it, but saying most 1999 Q3 players were as well is silly platform war stuff that does not at all line up with history.

Mman235

So why exactly don't they want to show this to the rest of us? Someone was bound to have camera phoned it.

I think they expect a leak and did it on purpose; make the game footage a forbidden fruit and there's suddenly that much more hype when the footage leaks out.

deadman69

What does it mean supports 1080P/60 FPS? consoles target? cause mention PC supports it is pretty much a no-brainer, PC will run it even higher if you have the specs so it make sense they meant this for consoles.

its weird that pc gamer tweeted that info out.

The state of the gaming industry, ladies and gentlemen.

Doom has always been over the top and slightly tongue in cheek. I don't really see what's so offensive about this. It's a little different from people hooting and hollering over something as self-serious as The Last of Us's E3-demo closing headshot.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Pretty sure that didnt actually happen(the ovation). Would be the biggest moment in loserdom if it did.

Why? They love Id, they've payed to go to a convention. They are having fun, who cares if they applaud a video game? Any different than applauding a musician?

Does no one else feel this is kinda like buying good press? Of course people who pay to go to QuakeCon are gonna give a new Doom a standing ovation. It'd be like showing Halo 5 at a Halo convention, "look at all the good impressions!"

People at Quakecon are mostly PC gamers, and that gameplay video was just meant for them to see, so it's very weird to do a demonstration using a pad.

This means nothing. Witcher 3 and Star Citizen were both demoed using a controller in their recent stage demos, and they're both PC games primarily.

surface level elements like GORE, demons, and big shotguns are not what made Doom great, but this is a demo for fanboys so showcasing the most obvious, overt elements is to be expected.

Hopefully there's a good game underneath its splashy exterior, and they didn't spend all their time on extraneous death animations

Nzyme32

Also, they demoed the game on a controller at Quakecon. AT QUAKECON.

That and 1080/60 may be a little hint of wonders of doom (4)'s dev journey... or I'd tech 666's quirks

Of course though, the demo didn't demonstrate the speed that apparently will be in the game, so perhaps the purpose of the demo didn't require it

Deadbeat

Banned
Does no one else feel this is kinda like buying good press? Of course people who pay to go to QuakeCon are gonna give a new Doom a standing ovation. It'd be like showing Halo 5 at a Halo convention, "look at all the good impressions!"
Someone will probably label you a hater now.

G-Fex

surface level elements like GORE, demons, and big shotguns are not what made Doom great, but this is a demo for fanboys so showcasing the most obvious, overt elements is to be expected.

Hopefully there's a good game underneath its splashy exterior, and they didn't spend all their time on extraneous death animations

fatalities :p

Gurish

Going by the zero comments about the visuals in the game I imagine the game is far from breathtaking, probably doesn't look much better than id-tech 5 otherwise someone would mention it.

Nokterian

This means nothing. Witcher 3 and Star Citizen were both demoed using a controller in their recent stage demos, and they're both PC games primarily.

You don't know the general public for Quakecon. There always been hardcore pc gamers ever since Wolfenstein 3d. So it's weird to present a game with a controller and no wonder they got boo'ed when they mention consoles. Also it's doom.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!

Of course it is, but we are looking at twitters from gaming journalism! lol.

Yeah of course be skeptical, but honestly what they are describing sounds good and exciting to me.

Nzyme32

No actually considering how much some of those same people complained about doom 3. Of those guys can give a mini review of what they thought, and they are happy, I'd take that as a sign that the demo is promising, but nothing else yet

ekgrey

Doom 3 and Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil is messed up awesome! I think people stopped hating Doom 3 after the torch and shooting at the same time was resolved. Is that true to say? Please correct me if I am wrong.

*fist bump*

never did play Ressurection though. gotta do that!

People hated it because despite being an awesome game, it was a very different reimagining of the DOOM franchise, with entirely different combat style, level design, and enemy encounters. Fast paced maze shooter ---> linear horror shooter.

ahh...yeah, fair enough. the original Doom was actually the first game I ever saw played (shown to me in secret by my "cool uncle" when I was maybe six) but I don't think I actually played it until around the release of 3. which was definitely very inspired by Half-Life and not so much the earlier entries in the series. I suppose I was more able to appreciate it for what it was without any real conceptions about what it "should be."

it was also the first game I got for my first gaming-centric PC. i read the manual for days waiting for my computer to come in the mail. good times.

Skab

That tweet is a little misleading. Judging from other tweets/live blogs, that happened at the end of the demo, and after it ended the crowd gave it the standing ovation. It wasn't for that moment specifically, but for the whole demo.

Top Bottom