• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom announced (id/Bethesda, PC/PS4/XB1, idtech6, 1080p/60fps, gore), first details

Sendero

Hand to Hand combat with finishers? Stunt and kick? Ripping arms as keycards?
Eeeh. Seems they took ideas from different FPS and mashed them together.

Which might result in a really fun game with lots of stuff to do, or a full aimless mess.
Need the video to decide. No regen and fast action sounds good, though.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
This gen needs a good DOOM. If anything it'll rejuvenate our senses more than Wolfenstein will, no offense. The XBox had some notorious hype from DOOM 3 even after Halo 2 had been out for a while. I just hope it survives today's audience and becomes another pop culture phenomenon. I think I'm a bit worried about its acceptance and portrayal more than anything. I want an reincarnation of hell but without the cheesy stuff. I want hideous demonic creatures trying to rip my face off.
Like in the last bit of DOOM3 where the ground forms itself beneath your feet.

owbums.png

The state of the gaming industry, ladies and gentlemen.

They're going to keep remaking DOOM until they get it right. But this is one of the only games I'm looking forward to so I hope it ends up meeting the hype.

viveks86

In another demo, the player ripped out a chainsaw, which allowed him to carve up demons in different directions — through the shoulder, torso or straight down the middle. Rocket launchers separated demons' top-parts from their bottom-parts.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I thought everyone pretty much agreed on that liveblogging is bad because you have no chance to reflect on what you're seeing.

How about the enthusiast press watches the demo, thinks about the demo, talks amongst its editorial staff and then writes a preview. Alternatively do the talking part in a video / podcast.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Very curious about idTech 6 assuming that wasn't an error. Really wonder if there are still technical wizards at id. Also hoping they are ditching that mega texture shit.

Trojan X

Banned
i want this so bad. I still love Doom 3 and don't understand all the hate it gets. even replaying it on PS3 was awesome. more fun than i get from a lot of modern FPS.

Doom 3 and Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil is messed up awesome! I think people stopped hating Doom 3 after the torch and shooting at the same time was resolved. Is that true to say? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Vibranium

Banned
I hope it's really good, I'm always on the lookout for a crazy fun FPS. I love Doom, though it's been a long time since I played.

If not, I'll always have Wolfenstein The New Order, Machine Games and a potential sequel for my FPS action!

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Why make it a press only event if they are just going to live tweet everything?

Just show a trailer.

In another demo, the player ripped out a chainsaw, which allowed him to carve up demons in different directions — through the shoulder, torso or straight down the middle. Rocket launchers separated demons' top-parts from their bottom-parts.

This just reminded me that Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance 2 is going to be so awesome.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I was right on my speculation on this game using the new engine then. (even that it seems they didn't call it Void engine)

from the other thread

not long ago Zenimax trademarked a new Engine called Void
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715736

Then we know that they were hiring engine programmers for the engine in their Core Technology group team (the team in charge of that), and it's clearly for an FPS title(s)

http://jobs.zenimax.com/requisitions/view/618

so yeah. Void. new Engine. for FPS legendary title.

my guess is this will be Void engine first game.

That the listing specifically asks for help creating the engine suggests to me that it doesn't really exist in a tangible form yet. I'd say you could be cautiously optimistic,but Bethesda is unveiling the game itself next month, so it's most definitely using id Tech 5.

oh JC :)

the hiring page on Bethesda site says it's 60fps engine as well and this fit with this announcement.

Bloodrage

Banned
Doom will focus on high-speed movement and run-and-gun. Just like the old days.

Doom will run on idTech 6, according to Stratton. Will support 1080p, 60 frames per second.

Doesn't look like health regenerates. Enemies drop health when you squish them.

Andrea Rene ‏@andrearene 3m
I can't recall seeing a more gruesome and violent game demo in my entire life #Doom #QuakeCon

Ok, I'm hyped.

i want this so bad. I still love Doom 3 and don't understand all the hate it gets. even replaying it on PS3 was awesome. more fun than i get from a lot of modern FPS.

People hated it because despite being an awesome game, it was a very different reimagining of the DOOM franchise, with entirely different combat style, level design, and enemy encounters. Fast paced maze shooter ---> linear horror shooter.

DieH@rd

Banned
I really like what was reported. Hopefully they will release footage soon.

The state of the gaming industry, ladies and gentlemen.
Yes, and I love it. Doom was always about action and gore, and they are making precisely what the fans want. If they are focused, they will probably manage to repeat the success of latest Wolfenstein game.

It'll be interesting to see how a game like this is received in this day and age. I'm reminded of Unreal Tournament III and how badly that game did commercially. I hope Doom turns out to be amazing, but in my mind I'm just picturing a more polished and more gory Serious Sam.

Doesn't look like health regenerates. Enemies drop health when you squish them.

Wait, so it uses the same health regeneration method as Warhammer 40k: Space Marine? Executions to restore health, I mean.

Top Bottom