• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (Holiday 2017) and Wolfenstein II (2018) Announced for Nintendo Switch

Can we finally agree that Nintendo is Doomed?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Keep in mind all of the compression going on here but you can see some of the cutbacks on texture quality in this shot, especially on the door by his left hand.

Yeah I don't expect the game to look amazing but at least the option is their for Switch owners and it shows that Nintendo is willing to go out there and secure some quality titles for their platform. Third parties seem way more receptive to Switch and its modern architecture is starting to pay dividends

EDarkness

Well, I'll be in for both games if they have gyro aiming. I tried playing Doom on the PS4, but I couldn't deal with dual analog, but gyro aiming would be bliss for me. I hope that's really an option. Same goes for Wolfenstein.

weekev

Banned
Doom, Wolfenstein, LA Noire, NBA2K, WWE2K, RERevelations 1+2.

There seems to be a bunch of 3rd party support hitting Switch. It's strange. Hopefully they sell to encourage more.

M-PG71C

Day fucking one, portable Doom? Oh damn, that is too fucking good! Skyrim and Doom for November (or roughly anyway) is a dream come true.

The Switch is earning its right.

The Hermit

Never, ever ever ever, even on a fever dream I though that Doom would go to the Switch.

Especially because of its size, but we'll here it is

And then they announced fucking Wolfenstein II.

-shadow-

Keep in mind all of the compression going on here but you can see some of the cutbacks on texture quality in this shot, especially on the door by his left hand.
https://i.imgur.com/lPFvRGy.jpg[/mg][/QUOTE]

As long as it's still 60fps, I'm willing to take the hit for the portability.

They're bringing it, I'm buying it. It'll be my console of choice, and I assure you Bethesda I will support these decisions.

Here's hoping they get Skyrim mods on track for Switch ASAP so I can fus ro dah some Thomas The Tank Engines.

Still though, I wonder if Nintendo themselves are helping with compression on Doom. Maybe 64GB carts are on the horizon quicker than we think?

They better start giving big devs manufacturing discounts on bigger cards

Yeah. I'm in. I'm definitely in. I'm in for Doom and probably in for Wolfenstein II as well... Thank you Bethesda, thank you Nintendo! I'm HYPED!!

Salvadora

I'm legit shocked by Wolfenstein II.

Doom was somewhat of a surprise, sure, but I didn't think they would port a new title over.

EhoaVash

nice boxart for the switch version :eek:

21728119_1924911894192151_7255702058201615713_n.png

Mr-Joker

Banned
Gonna have to invest in a higher micro SD card as my 32 GB is already outdated and I only have one game on it.

Can I take a moment to say fuck Capcom? This is what actual support looks like. Definitely getting these

Agreed, Capcom missed the boat and I was pissed that Okami wasn't getting a Switch port.

ty_hot

Haven't played Doom yet on ps4, but I'd still prefer prettier graphics and frame rate over portability. And a much lower price as well. But great addition to the library.

JP

Well, that's really good news for people who aren't able to play them elsewhere.

I'd assume they'd really have to aim for 60fps in both of these games so I suppose the hit will have to be to resolution and detail. The lack of decent textures would also help them get a more Switchlike game file size which should also help keep the cost of the games down which will help with them both releasing after the other versions of the games.

jacobeid

Banned
Third parties have no excuse anymore.

I think we'll see a lot more big staple franchises showing up on switch next year, namely Madden.

The thought of gyro aiming in Doom is an interesting prospect. I played/will play both of these games on my PC, but it's still so cool to see the support.

Wait....that's not real, is it?

That's the reverse cover of the PS4/XB1 copies, I believe.

https://www.polygon.com/2016/3/3/11153454/doom-2016-reversible-box-art-id-software-bethesda

Switch can't run PS4 games..

I know, right? People still believe that a Tegra X1 is inside the Switch, and I'm here rolling my eyes at them over one of my cocktail pitchers.... Also, the "significant downgrade" presumptions are something else; Bethesda aren't in the business of making them, as they're not faithful to the creator's vision. If this site and certain publications were interested in the pursuit of truth rather than fast conclusions, then at this point, they would have had a lot of questions.

13ruce

Banned
Guess i will throw the ps4 version of doom in the trash i aint installing 100gb lol.

Hopefully gyro aiming is in for both games tho!

Kimawolf

I'm buying it just to have DOOM on the go! and also from the bits they showed, it looked FINE for a mobile game. Perfect match to my PC.

jmizzal

Bethasda did it the right way, they learned the Switch by porting Skyrim, once they learned how porting works and saw the system was selling they decided to port more games, instead of waiting on sales of Skyrim, good on them

JoeInky

Was just playing Doom on the Snes the other day.

Definitely going to double dip on this, played nu-doom on my PC and loved every second so I definitely want to support it more.

Top Bottom