• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 just got a huge update (6.79)

They make one side of creep waves faster

Thats dumb. Why make a change that has a serious effect on creep movement all game long? Change the spawn timings and they can still affect where the creep line is during the laning phase without speeding up the offlane creep movement all game long.

Sibylus

Banned
Thats dumb. Why make a change that has a serious effect on creep movement all game long? Change the spawn timings and they can still affect where the creep line is during the laning phase without speeding up the offlane creep movement all game long.
The movement buff ceases before they meet the other creep wave.

Shengar

Where is my fucking Techies IceFrog? Where is it Gaben? Give me Techies now!

Serious note, This is one nice update. Change on Tranquil boots would help a lot on support who have no need of mana boots. Also I bet that buyback nerf is meant for just one particular hero we know about.

Someone should explain, and maybe put it in the first post, about what this means for people on the fence. Otherwise it's just a big confusing wall of text.

Okay I am on my phone right now but I will give it a go:
- several of the rules has been altered ( not core rules like the goal of the game and the basic format of the map etc. They are the same) these changes include:

1-the length of the Day and Night cycles are shorter (4 minutes instead of 6). At night time many heroes will get a smaller line of sight while a minority get to maintain the same line of sight during the day light or have an even bigger line of sight. This means players have to spend even more time playing cautiously then before and it also buffs heroes that benefit from night time.

2- Roshan respawn time is a bit random now: Roshan is big neutral creature on the map that gives a lot of gold and exp to your team if kill it. It also drops an item that lets its carrier respawn with no penalty in the same location they were killed. It's pretty darn important.

Before, Roshan always respwaned after 10 minutes. NOW it will respawn at some point between 8 and 11 minutes after he was killed. This change really effects the pro games where they time the respawn time perfectly.
Overall, this change helps the losing team and gives them a better fighting chance.

3- the jungle changes: I don't play this role often but the jest of it is that the strategy to gain the maxmuim benefit from tge jungle for all heroes (by killing/manipulating the neutrals in the jungle) has been forced to be changed, for better or for worse. It can also indirectly benefit the enemy team via netural exp split.

-almost every hero got some significant balancing/nerf/buff. Some of those changes are HUGE and will change the way we build and play the hero. An (striaghtforward) example is the nerf to Batrider. He has a 100% pick or ban stat for like a year now in pro games. Now he got nerfed just enough that he will not be picked as often and will be less dominating in lane.

Summary: if you never played Dota 2 this patch won't really affect your first impression of the game.

Hope this is the answer you were looking for, or I might have misinterpreted your question.

Shengar

Just realized Bat Rider nerf, damn at that Flaming Lasso cast range reduction. But yeah, he's too versatile, no wonder many pro team pick him in tournament. That ganking capabilites, lane control, and 3.5 seconds of potent disable, it only natural for aggressive to pick him.

Easily the worst hero along with sniper. There's literally nothing she's good at. She's in need of a substential buff.

They just need to figure out something different with her passive and/or ult entirely. They've been tweaking them both for years and she can't quite get good enough to be a consistently viable competitive pick.

She has been picked competitively recently, but her changes are still not nearly enough.

Also, Sniper is fun as hell.

Drow is a good watermark for a match's progress. If Drow is doing well, the other team sucks.

Or, Drow's team knows how to protect her. "Doing well" for a carry only means she's getting last-hits, which may or may not be preventable depending on the other side's team comp and ganking success.

Lotto

Really like the 8-10 min Roshan timer, should open it up to more skirmishes at the pit. Looks to be another great game changing patch!

Also, Sniper is fun as hell.

One day. One day he'll be picked in competitive seriously and it will be the most glorious day. Icefrog is going to let it happen soon enough, mark my words.

They just need to figure out something different with her passive and/or ult entirely. They've been tweaking them both for years and she can't quite get good enough to be a consistently viable competitive pick.

She has been picked competitively recently, but her changes are still not nearly enough.

This isn't even about competitive. She sucks in pubs as well. I don't recall seeing a Drow do anything but feed ever since her ult got nerfed.

Sounds like a lot of these money changes will make the early game more interesting. I want to start playing again, but the community left a sour taste in my mouth.

Shengar

One day. One day he'll be picked in competitive seriously and it will be the most glorious day. Icefrog is going to let it happen soon enough, mark my words.

When IceFrog mix headshot with take aim and make a new, semi-escape nuke skills and rise his movespeed to 300? Probably.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Living armor's fourth level is a buff, on top of the other things mentioned.
Treat was an early game hero and the jungle was nerfed and he sucks at roaming. Tell me where he will get level 7 from?

Wisp's winrate down to 38%, damn. No hero has ever been this low I think. They might've killed him.

And @ anyone who cries over Blink Dagger on Pudge - Batrider has done the same fucking thing for years now except that you will never miss a lasso (unlike hook) and you won't put yourself in danger for any longer than necessary when you drag your opponent's ass into your team. Also, Batrider is a tremendously better laner and flash farmer.

It's just that I find the outrage at Blink@Pudge a little strange when you've had an OP as hell hero who does everything Pudge does except miles better and reliable.

Anteo

Guide for playing sniper in pubs:

1. Pick Sniper
2. Select Repick
3. Pick Spirit Breaker.

Yes, even with the nerfs

Why would you ever play a bot game? What a waste of time, much more fun to play w/ others, even when noob.

Less stressful, more cooperative than competitive?

^ This is the answer. Sometimes nobody is around to MM with and I really don't feel like playing with randoms where there's a high chance of having ragers, leavers, and/or non-English speakers on my team. Co-op bot matches have a much friendlier audience, at least in my experience.

^ This is the answer. Sometimes nobody is around to MM with and I really don't feel like playing with randoms where there's a high chance of having ragers, leavers, and/or non-English speakers on my team. Co-op bot matches have a much friendlier audience, at least in my experience.

Agreed. At least in those matches, people aren't actively threatening to report me just because I'm a n00b.

Top Bottom