• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 just got a huge update (6.79)

Bluth54

I am a bit dissapointed that Dota 2, like TF2, now seems to be in "support" mode. It's too bad they didn't finish porting everyone over before the team seemingly slimmed down.

I wish TF2 still got as much support as DOTA2. It's not even comparable.

You DOTA people wouldn't know what to do with yourselves if the support for DOTA2 dropped down to current TF2 levels.

Anteo

question was there always deny xp?

Yes, half for melee heroes, less for ranged (before this patch, and the exp was divided between heroes or something like that)

Edit: Reading a little bit about it: the deny exp heroes get is 32/n for melee and 16/n for ranged. "n" is the ammoun of heroes around that can get the exp from the creep. However the latest patch made it so both types of heroes get the same ammount of exp

So if you are solo laning vs a ranged hero and deny, he will get 32/1 = 32 exp for the deny.
If you are in a dual lane vs a ranged and a melee hero: Both get: 32/2 = 16 exp for the deny

Icefrog fucked up, preorder canceled, installing world of tanks...

Seriously though, can't wait to try a lot of heroes after the patch (mainly Night Stalker), too bad my group I play with only plays on the weekends and I forsaken solo queue dota a long time ago.

A question. Was a map-editor or something of the sorts ever announced? Since blizz fucked up with custom-maps in SC2 (regionlock of maps, no bad words in maps, no copyright material), I really hope there will be another Game with a big custom maps scene like WC3 and I think DOTA2 could really be it.

Anteo

Any question. Was a map-editor or something of the sorts ever announced? Since blizz fucked up with custom-maps in SC2 (regionlock of maps, no bad words in maps, no copyright material), I really hope there will be another Game with a big custom maps scene like WC3 and I think DOTA2 could really be it.

WHY WHAT HOW???. Seriously? How does that even work?
Man wc3 custom scene was so good. I cant believe they could not replicate it on sc2

If they ever announce custom maps, I want to go codding maps again. It was fun on wc3, but I just experimented with code and tried to replicate stuff already there, like dota spells. Never got any big idea to try.

Wok

They've made quite a few changes to the way gold increases it looks like. I'm guessing that will result in shorter games, or at least it will result in Supports getting a few more items late game. I for one can't wait to buy Atos from dewarding money.

This is exactly what happened with Lich: I could buy one extra-item during the late game.

Dunlop

Want to try this out, is there a walled garden noob zone or will I just get reamed as soon as I am done with the tutorials?

Anteo

Want to try this out, is there a walled garden noob zone or will I just get reamed as soon as I am done with the tutorials?

There is a Limited Hero mode. But you will see regular people there too, or smurfs (not as many as in the main modes like AP or RD). So you will get destroyed a few times if you are unlucky

As a european you could only publish the maps on the european b.net.
As an american, you could only publish the maps on the american b.net.

They changed it 1 year ago, when they also opened the general regionlock. But at that time, no one was really interested in making maps anymore for SC2.

SumGamer

Just played a game with Slark. I'm not an expert or anything (only 300 hours) btw.

I reckon his mechanism change quite a lot. Ganking has become a little bit more difficult as you only have one chance now instead of every 30 seconds or so. Dealing with him will remain to be using AoE stuff just like before. Shadow Dance now feels like a weak BKB, with health regen benefit with ability to negate True Sight it is now more useful to use the skill mid fight to amplify the benefit on health regen as we don't have to worry about gem or Dust any more. A more useful scenario is to chase dive fleeing hero pass the tower as it can no longer target him now.

All in all, I felt the 65 secs cool down is a bit too long as it puts him out of any fight for way too long and 4 seconds duration doesn't help either. Perhaps 35-45s cooldowns might be better but keep the 4s duration.

Should I build BKB on him now?

1j4qx.jpeg

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
As a european you could only publish the maps on the european b.net.
As an american, you could only publish the maps on the american b.net.

They changed it 1 year ago, when they also opened the general regionlock. But at that time, no one was really interested in making maps anymore for SC2.

I will never understand why successful companies suddenly decide to do the exact opposite of what made them succesful in the first place.

Struct09

The matchmaking in the game is pretty good. During my noob phase a couple months ago I was able to get a 50% win rate (after completing the tutorials).

dorkimoe

my biggest gripe

the gem going up in price. Its already an absolute pain in the ass to deal with invisible heroes. Dust/ sentries/ its annoying and costly. keep raising the price of the gem...that makes sense...dumb icefrog

I will never understand why successful companies suddenly decide to do the exact opposite of what made them succesful in the first place.

They changed it last year though. But no one understood it. At the beginning there was something like a scrabble-custom map.
It was removed because you could spell bad words...

Then you had some maps only for americans, some only for europeans and some only for koreans.
Besides that before publishing every map had to be checked by Blizzard for bad words and copyright-material.

I loved custom-maps for WC3. You had mauls with pokemon, that coul evolve.
You had Arena-maps with mega-man.
You had some anime-fighting-games.

Thats why I really hope DOTA2 will get a map-editor soon :(

A question. Was a map-editor or something of the sorts ever announced? Since blizz fucked up with custom-maps in SC2 (regionlock of maps, no bad words in maps, no copyright material), I really hope there will be another Game with a big custom maps scene like WC3 and I think DOTA2 could really be it.

I don't think it was ever announced, just speculated when that Horde Mode got spotted: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=636306

Anteo

Valve would be stupid to not get a map editor out. You know, the next big dota-like thing could be born there, and they could capitalize on it.

There is a Limited Hero mode. But you will see regular people there too, or smurfs (not as many as in the main modes like AP or RD). So you will get destroyed a few times if you are unlucky

I don't know if it's changed, but when they introduced Limited Hero mode it was terrible for beginners for the reasons you listed. When I was new I liked Single Draft mode since it forces you to try new heroes.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah 6.55 DOTA 2 change was the big change and made the game what it is now. Before 6.55 the game was just a fun but broke type of game you played for kicks. After 6.55 it became a highly competitive team based game.

6.79 is still a massive game changing patch.

No.

Wait, when did 6.55 happen? Was it before Dota 2 released?

Anteo

What changed about Drow (obviously before this patch)?

She went from "I can destroy you with high damage" to "I can destroy you if you stay away from me". Basically her ult stops working if you get close enough, so heroes that can close the distance fast destroy her. Spirit Breaker dominating pubs means Drow has no chance to grow on most games. And if she grows she still has to deal with SB or similar heroes

Moaradin

Shit like this is why I love DOTA. Icefrog is not afraid to make ballsy changes to the game. Might make some things a little overpowered and require more fine-tuning, but damn does it make the game a lot more enjoyable.

Tenck

She went from "I can destroy you with high damage" to "I can destroy you if you stay away from me". Basically her ult stops working if you get close enough, so heroes that can close the distance fast destroy her. Spirit Breaker dominating pubs means Drow has no chance to grow on most games. And if she grows she still has to deal with SB or similar heroes

Ah, thought something drastic had happened. She's one of my favorite carries, and had this match not too long ago
4WcvB.jpg

So she's basically the same for me.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Are you freaking kidding me with Riki?! Good grief that's some bullshit. Wards out the ass now.

Just dust him. He'll be slowed forever unless he uses a diffusal charge since he has no way to pop out of invis besides attacking now.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I think people place too much importance on Volvo adding new heroes. Most people (including me) can't even play all of the existing heroes competently anyway.

She got a buff and a nerf. Now you can kill her aura more easily (bigger aoe).

They arent new heroes. They are heroes that should be in but arent. Its not like a TF2 update adding new content. This is missing content.

woodland

It would be a pretty horrible idea to add new heroes during an enormous balance patch.

It's not uncommon...

Winter Wyvern, Zet the Arc Warden, LC, Ember Spirit, Rock-Throwing guy, Skywrath, and one other are all pretty recent heroes who have come in big updates. In fact, that's the only time we get heroes.

Before those were Phoenix and Wisp I think.

ThisOne

Did they add a mode where 30 year old man babies stop yelling at me over their mics?

Sorry, just bitter about how bad at I suck at this game :(

Apath

Man wc3 custom scene was so good. I cant believe they could not replicate it on sc2

If they ever announce custom maps, I want to go codding maps again. It was fun on wc3, but I just experimented with code and tried to replicate stuff already there, like dota spells. Never got any big idea to try.
SC2 editor is such a cluster fuck it's mind boggling. All they had to do was take the WC3 WE and expand on it. It's a pain in the ass to do the simplest of things, but I didn't even realize they don't let you use foul language--that's just ridiculous.

Aaron

Play co-op vs bots. Good way to learn the basics and not get crushed by smurfs. Most people who play it are green and usually nice. Playing low level team match is annoying because people are more likely to make mistakes, and boy does the shit talk spew from inexperienced players when they do. Played one match where the other team shit talked the anti-mage the whole game, and the shit talker had more deaths.

Anteo

That's why I was confused, people were describing it as "the patch that changed dota 2"

Is the same game, is the same content.
Oh wait no, dota 2 has less content

SC2 editor is such a cluster fuck it's mind boggling. All they had to do was take the WC3 WE and expand on it. It's a pain in the ass to do the simplest of things, but I didn't even realize they don't let you use foul language--that's just ridiculous.

That is a shame. The wc3 editor was not that good but many good modders/coders made it good. new gen Jass made it a whole new different thing that I enjoyed to work with

Top Bottom