• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 just got a huge update (6.79)

Anteo

Really? This basically kills all my timings: since you will not get your ult at the beggining of the night anymore, I imagine you have to take it and not pass on it at lvl 6 like I used to do.

I am baffled that Drow got a buff. I understand it's not picked that much at very high level, but in pub...

Drow has been really shitty in pubs lately. Her nerfs really destroyed her.

Razzer

Really? This basically kills all my timings: since you will not get your ult at the beggining of the night anymore, I imagine you have to take it and not pass on it at lvl 6 like I used to do.

I am baffled that Drow got a buff. I understand it's not picked that much at very high level, but in pub...

Just go kill her. She's made of glass if you man up and fight her rather than let her get you from range. Initiate rather than be initiated on.

Carlow

i just noticed

- Sacrifice no longer denies enemy XP
- Sacrifice now converts your own creep for XP (shared in AoE as normal creep xp bounty)

lich just became 1st pick or ban for nearly every game :eek:

Deadstar

Drow is very easy to shut down. Stun her and she's dead.

Just go kill her. She's made of glass if you man up and fight her rather than let her get you from range. Initiate rather than be initiated on.

Yep, 100% agreed, but I feel that it has more to do with 'knowing how to play against drow' than anything else (nerf/buff...)

Same for Rikki for instance.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I wish they did something about disconnections (although I have no idea what it would be)

I played six games this weekend and four of them had disconnections that ruined them.

To be fair everyone knew there would be one of those 3-4 balance patch a year before the end of the year. ( thought it's surprising we got it before dota 1 )
The no new hero daed gam still hold true ( and still will if there is only LC with the halloween event update ).

I think people place too much importance on Volvo adding new heroes. Most people (including me) can't even play all of the existing heroes competently anyway.

She got a buff and a nerf. Now you can kill her aura more easily (bigger aoe).

Sanic

I think people place too much importance on Volvo adding new heroes. Most people (including me) can't even play all of the existing heroes competently anyway.

Outside of patches like this, new heros are the biggest changes the game gets. For something that people play a lot of, change every so often is good. Its been, what, 5 months since the last hero?

Jex

I wish they did something about disconnections (although I have no idea what it would be)

I played six games this weekend and four of them had disconnections that ruined them.
They do do something about that. Disconnectors go to low priority, where they belong. I used to have people disconnect pretty regularly but the more I've played the less frequent they've become.

Deadstar

Since the gold per minute increased are games going to be shorter? I was watching the Na'Vi game and it looked insane. The gold counter was flying by.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Outside of patches like this, new heros are the biggest changes the game gets. For something that people play a lot of, change every so often is good. Its been, what, 5 months since the last hero?

Yeah but only a month since the hilarity of the fountain hook nerf patch

I don't really think this is true anymore, not since mid 2012 when the really popular heroes were getting finished.

I mean, Bristleback and Tusk didn't exactly make a splash on the game at all (rarely picked in both competitive and regular play). Can you honestly say they were a major change? Of the heroes added over the last year less than half can really be said to have changed the game at all. And that's giving Timber credit despite not being relevant for the majority of that year, and ignoring that Magnus fell off completely the latter half of the year.

We only have 4 CM heroes left to port to Dota 2. That's not really a lot missing from the game.

New Tranquils + New Lich makes me very excited. He's going to be a top pick hero now, I just know it.

Also looking forward to playing Venomancer soon. Just wish I had more time! I wish they could have hit on a weekend :p

harSon

Banned
Seriously, unless I'm misinterpreting the change, the change to Slark's ult is mindnumbingly stupid.

I misread it, i thought it was just duration decreased a little, and now he can't be seen... Didn't see the cooldown increase

Seriously, unless I'm misinterpreting the change, the change to Slark's ult is mindnumbingly stupid.

Yeah I don't really get it. Is there a counter to his ult now? It sounds like he basically gets godmode for 4 seconds now.

New Tranquils + New Lich makes me very excited. He's going to be a top pick hero now, I just know it.

Also looking forward to playing Venomancer soon. Just wish I had more time! I wish they could have hit on a weekend :p

As a primarily support player, these and the Disraptor buff are the best things ever.

Already posted in the Dota 2 OT, but since a lot of people have been complaining about the lack of (meaningful) updates lately, I wanted to make a thread here for everyone to see.

Dota 2 Update - October 21st, 2013

Ranged Heroes now get the same denied experience as melee heroes (instead of less)
XP AoE increased from 1200 to 1300
Non-Ancient Neutrals now split XP with all heroes in the AoE instead of just the team that killed them
Swapped the medium pullable Neutral Camp with the small camp
What is this shit...
Thanks valve, now you can no longer contest the pullcamp and lane becomes easier for bad players.

and why the extra gold?
also no longer pooling healing items? wut...

* Can no longer orb-attack while attack restricted (such as Ethereal or Frostbite)
Haha suck it huskar

Interesting axe changes, especially the ult buff
Really big SB nerf, but he was too easy to play in pubs and his combo was cheap against a lot of heroes.

When Thirst is active, movement speed cap is removed on your hero
Lol, that'll be interesting, F1 bloodseeker

marrec

Banned
Since the gold per minute increased are games going to be shorter? I was watching the Na'Vi game and it looked insane. The gold counter was flying by.

They've made quite a few changes to the way gold increases it looks like. I'm guessing that will result in shorter games, or at least it will result in Supports getting a few more items late game. I for one can't wait to buy Atos from dewarding money.

Is been ages since I played dota2 but...

Riki
- Smoke Screen cast range increased from 425 to 550
- Riki is no longer revealed out of Permanent Invisibility when he casts spells or uses items

The fuck is this SHIT?

Anteo

Really? I understand it's not almighty as it used to, but I played it a couple of times in the last 2 weeks, and still felt very OP :)

The top pub pick Spirit Breaker destroys her. And pubs pick bara a bit too much. The "get close to stop her ultimate" really hit her hard. Also depends on what bracket you play.

Sanic

I don't really think this is true anymore, not since mid 2012 when the really popular heroes were getting finished.

I mean, Bristleback and Tusk didn't exactly make a splash on the game at all (rarely picked in both competitive and regular play). Can you honestly say they were a major change? Of the heroes added over the last year less than half can really be said to have changed the game at all. And that's giving Timber credit despite not being relevant for the majority of that year, and ignoring that Magnus fell off completely the latter half of the year.

We only have 4 CM heroes left to port to Dota 2. That's not really a lot missing from the game.

I don't think the longevity aspect really matters to a lot of (more casual) players.

Say you play dota almost every day. A new hero might give you a week or two to really try something new and shake up the pub scene for a bit.

I am a bit dissapointed that Dota 2, like TF2, now seems to be in "support" mode. It's too bad they didn't finish porting everyone over before the team seemingly slimmed down.

Anteo

She got a buff and a nerf. Now you can kill her aura more easily (bigger aoe).

We dont want NEW heroes, we want the Wc3Dota heroes that are missing. Like Legion Comander, Earth Spirit, Goblin Techies, Ember Spirit, Phoenix, etc etc

What is this shit...
Thanks valve, now you can no longer contest the pullcamp and lane becomes easier for bad players.

Not sure if serious. The patch made it easier to contest the pull. In fact pull is a waker strat now.

the pudge / vengeful spirit blink dagger thing, spirit breaker nerf, linkens sphere transfer, tranquil boots, and changes to core gameplay items / couriers made me say WOW

Top Bottom