• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Reborn (new UI, Source 2, custom games, bot guided tutorials)

ViviOggi

I'll probably give this a try once it leaves beta. About time I saw for myself why Dota 2 is so popular.
You're a bit late, Sniper was op last patch

I ended up playing Heroes of the storm, and can nothing but recommend it.

Acinixys

Dota is for the hardcore

LoL and Smite are more accessible but have some P2W stuff

HotS is the best of both worlds

They are all fun games and each has its merits and issues

No need for rampant fanboyism

bts_lina.gif

luffeN

Fog of War is only super dense during night time
During day, it can still give you advantage.

Imagine a mid situation where you are playing as Pudge.

day vision is 1800 (I think ? or 1600 can't remember), night vision is usually 800 with exceptions. during day you see farther than.

On 2-3 heroes night vision is bigger (night stalker, luna and maybe slark not sure) with 1800. There's also a new item that gives more night vision (moon shard) so that you can see even further
Wider screens giving more vision would be a huge deal tbh. So would be a bigger de-zoom (as it's already possible in spectator mode)

But if you have vision from a ward/creeps etc, instead of looking at your minimap to see enemy movements would be able to see them on your screen

This is an insanely huge problem for a game where map awareness and knowing where the enemy is and what items they currently own makes up such a huge part of the strategy

kanuuna is being
salty.gif
for no reason. Just because X game supports something doesnt mean Y game should as well

This also
Ah, I see. Didn't know there were several vision values.

Mifec

Oh let's not start the MOBA wars here. I highly recommend both HotS and DotA2. DotA2 I played for the past 2 years, while HotS is new and fun fun fun making the DotA2 lane grind obsolete.

But the lane grind isn't a grind, it's a test of skill.

Oh let's not start the MOBA wars here. I highly recommend both HotS and DotA2. DotA2 I played for the past 2 years, while HotS is new and fun fun fun making the DotA2 lane grind obsolete.

hots makes nothing in dota obsolete, it has nothing to do with it, it's just dumbed down with only xp, no gold and even xp is shared

Aesthet1c

Man the new UI looks slick! Can't wait to see what kind of changes they make to the hud.

And maybe Source 2 can bring some new graphical effects.

Nzyme32

Interesting that they didn't mention the new engine by name.

The announcement specifically states that will be discussed in the third part of the announcement later next week. It seems more about being focused on what features they want to show off for each of the 3 reveals as it says - "New Interface, New Engine, New ways to play" - which they split into Interface, Custom Maps, Source 2

"....and later that week we’ll conclude with various details about the new engine and launch the open beta"

hots makes nothing in dota obsolete, it has nothing to do with it, it's just dumbed down with only xp, no gold and even xp is shared

I would not say it's dumbed down but rather it's meant to be played differently. It's definitely easier to pickup for a newcomer though. Both games require teamwork but HoTS forces it more upon you with the sharing of XP and objectives. You have to move around the map. It's REALLY hard to win a match if the whole team doesn't play the objectives (tributes, seeds etc etc).

Sooo do we get 21:9 support?

Lol of course not, they value more the current HUD skins more than giving players the option to play the game at their preferred resolution, currently they only support up to 16:10 displays.

PA arcana was always the worst of the bunch, her voice sounds like a chipmunk and apparently she lacks a backcone to be standing the way she does.

Sometimes people forget this is just a goddamn GAME smh,

raphier

Banned
The announcement specifically states that will be discussed in the third part of the announcement later next week. It seems more about being focused on what features they want to show off for each of the 3 reveals as it says - "New Interface, New Engine, New ways to play" - which they split into Interface, Custom Maps, Source 2

"....and later that week we’ll conclude with various details about the new engine and launch the open beta"

Chances are it will have another name, like Valve's Pipeline or something

Nzyme32

Kind of doubt that since every bit of info found so far in game and on the site refers specifically to Source 2; even the options for choosing between Dota2 Source and Dota2 Source 2

Why have a bad feeling about it - it's already there in most Valve games in some sense.

Having to buy individual maps, and all my friends having to buy them isn't something I would want to deal with, and I'm sure most people don't. If you can pay to use all custom maps or something I'd be ok with that.

Exuro

Their content delivery tech is called Steam Pipe, so won't be that. :p

Kind of doubt that since every bit of info found so far in game and on the site refers specifically to Source 2; even the options for choosing between Dota2 Source and Dota2 Source 2
I don't believe the name will be different, but its internal name being Source 2 has no bearing on the public name. For all we know it'll be called Steam Engine or something.

Nzyme32

Having to buy individual maps, and all my friends having to buy them isn't something I would want to deal with, and I'm sure most people don't. If you can pay to use all custom maps or something I'd be ok with that.

Free maps won't go anywhere, I'd be pretty certain that any implementation will not allow for all maps to be paid - we already saw how that worked out, and it will be the same again if done identically. No one would try anything if they were all paid

Nymerio

I'd be ok with paying to play quality modes on matchmaking servers. Though I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time convincing some of my friends to spend money on them. I guess it would depend on the price, but maybe they'll make it so only one player in the party needs to have a ticket.

I hope it's relatively easy to make fun/useful game modes. Would be nice to get jungling/laning/last hit/stacking/etc. practice modes complete with spawn boxes and timings and easily manipulatable parameters without having to use the mess that is the current system.

Kazz1896

Neo Member
People like you are the reason I don't play MOBAs. I came in here being a bit excited about the revamp, and although I've never gotten into DOTA2, thinking now I might give it a shot.

Nope. This kind of attitude entirely turns me off and is all too common in this toxic genre. Such a shame that people act this way about a game. I play to have fun, not to be scolded on how to manage the game camera.

We really don't need cry babies like you in the game. Better you don't play!

Elixist

cool. happy as heck for some shorter game modes. i love mobas, but im not a fan of salty 1 hour matches anymore, brings out the worst in alot of peeps including myself at times. pretty much why i only play arams and doms in league anymore.

Haunted

This is now one of the best game UI designs I have ever seen.

Like, make this part of game design and UI design school curriculum.

Glix

Guys I havent played DOTA since a little before techies dropped. My buddy said its a whole different game now. Can someone fill me in on the biggest changes or link me to a good recap? I wanna boot it up again but im worried Id be lost.

Top Bottom