• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Downsampling, a simple method for making your pc-games look better.

This is how blurry it looks for me

No downsampling:
http://i3.minus.com/ibzZKHkX5EpynH.bmp

Downsampling from 2560x1440:
http://i3.minus.com/iov7MvSzJdAGT.bmp

(open both images in tabs and switch between them to see difference)

Well, the result kinda depends on how you re-sized your downsampled shot.

But it's impossible for us to determine how you're experiencing downsampling on your monitor, you're the only one who can see the real-time downsampling effect you get when playing at higher than native resolutions.

akira28

Nice. MechWarrior Online looks even better at night now.

Got my 1920x1200 up to a 2800x1800 with a steady 30fps.

Worth it.

Thanks OP

BMPs are forcing me to download instead of open in a tab, fucking BMPs bro, seriously?

I didn't want any compression, I was lazy, whatever :p

Well, the result kinda depends on how you re-sized your downsampled shot.

But it's impossible for us to determine how you're experiencing downsampling on your monitor, you're the only one who can see the real-time downsampling effect you get when playing at higher than native resolutions.

It looks exactly like in the screenshots, the blur makes it look like I'm using FXAA or something

woober

My desktop isn't scaling after bumping up it's resolution so everything is smaller than usual. Anything I'm not ticking off that's causing this?

Vossler

This may seem weird, but I am trying to downsample from 2560 x 1440 --> 1920 x1080, which I have acheived and is a working resolution on my TV. My question is, when I downsample in games by selecting the 2560 resolution, the screen seems to go darker. It's tough to explain, but it is rendering fine at the 2560 resolution downsampled, but everything seems darker/ almost as if the gamma is off. Anyone else run into this? Maybe it's because I am using a Samsung LED-TV as my monitor?

ymmv

Banned
This may seem weird, but I am trying to downsample from 2560 x 1440 --> 1920 x1080, which I have acheived and is a working resolution on my TV. My question is, when I downsample in games by selecting the 2560 resolution, the screen seems to go darker. It's tough to explain, but it is rendering fine at the 2560 resolution downsampled, but everything seems darker/ almost as if the gamma is off. Anyone else run into this? Maybe it's because I am using a Samsung LED-TV as my monitor?

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4493970&postcount=210

Mulligan

Banned
I'm trying to downsample for the first time with an AMD card using the downsampling GUI but whenever i try to enter a resolution in the GUI i get a message 'ERROR: ADL_Display_ModeTimingOverride_Set<> failed!' Can anyone help?

Hawk269

Corky or anyone else. I tried following this guide, but the first step where you change the "perform scaling on" it only shows "DISPLAY" with my setup. I game on a 55" Sony HDTV and am using Geforce TItan's in SLI. From reading, it should still work, but my TV is $4,000 TV and I don't want to damage it by forcing a higher resolution. So before I do anything I just want to make sure that it will work even though I don't have an option to select GPU.

Thanks!

I'm trying to downsample for the first time with an AMD card using the downsampling GUI but whenever i try to enter a resolution in the GUI i get a message 'ERROR: ADL_Display_ModeTimingOverride_Set<> failed!' Can anyone help?

What driver version are you running? AMD broke downsampling a while ago with a driver update sadly and nobody seems to have fixed the Downsample GUI yet :(

Adam Blue

What driver version are you running? AMD broke downsampling a while ago with a driver update sadly and nobody seems to have fixed the Downsample GUI yet :(

Reinstall older drivers (forgot which one) and then make the custom resolutions. Then reinstall the latest and you will be good. Just did that a month ago, currently enjoying downsampling with latest beta drivers in Win8.

EDIT: here ya go:

Followed the instructions to the letter; receiving "ERROR: ADL_Displayer_ModeTimingOverride_Set<> failed!" error message in run time window.

13.2 b7 on Windows 8;
Any ideas?

EDIT: I am reading 13.1+ breaks downsampling like this?

Is there a known work around or just have to roll back to previous drivers?

EDIT: I will answer my own question:

The best work around currently if you are using new drivers (13.1+):

1. Uninstall current new driver using amd tool
2. Reinstall 12.11
3. Setup resolutions with DownSamplingGui0.6
4. Reinstall newest driver
5. Enjoy your downsampling

Credit goes to this link.

Corky or anyone else. I tried following this guide, but the first step where you change the "perform scaling on" it only shows "DISPLAY" with my setup. I game on a 55" Sony HDTV and am using Geforce TItan's in SLI. From reading, it should still work, but my TV is $4,000 TV and I don't want to damage it by forcing a higher resolution. So before I do anything I just want to make sure that it will work even though I don't have an option to select GPU.

Thanks!

I sincerely doubt your tv will take damage just by trying out the different custom resolutions via Nvidia control panel.

// Corky

Mononoke

Banned
So I had a quick question. My monitor is already 2560x1600. I tried making some higher resolutions on mine, and it would not work. I've done downsampling before on a 1080 monitor, so I know how to do it. But with this 1600p monitor, anything above what it already was, it wouldn't take.

Is there any point to downsampling anyways at this resolution?

I have a GTX 680 (2gb SLI) set up + A Yamakasi 2560x1600p. Is this just an issue of memory on my GPU (is that what determines the resolution you can downsample). If so, I'm getting my second GTX Titan in a couple of weeks. Been sitting on my first titan, because my 680 SLI does better than a single titan at 1600p.

I just bought a 2560x1440 Auria 27" IPS and Managed to pull off 4024x1648(but will mostly use use 2929x1648 to mantain aspect ratio) 60hz as my maximum but I have to use timing from the presets nvidia provided I used CVT reduced blank, but I have no clue whether this is not giving me any trouble.

Does anyone else has a 1440p screen and using downsampling? What is your max res?

I have a feeling that if I can understand the timings, I might be able to go higher!

So I had a quick question. My monitor is already 2560x1600. I tried making some higher resolutions on mine, and it would not work. I've done downsampling before on a 1080 monitor, so I know how to do it. But with this 1600p monitor, anything above what it already was, it wouldn't take.

Is there any point to downsampling anyways at this resolution?

I have a GTX 680 (2gb SLI) set up + A Yamakasi 2560x1600p. Is this just an issue of memory on my GPU (is that what determines the resolution you can downsample). If so, I'm getting my second GTX Titan in a couple of weeks. Been sitting on my first titan, because my 680 SLI does better than a single titan at 1600p.

Mine, as described above, would not work either and I was very much ready to give up. I tried using Nvidia's timing settings by luck: GFT, CVT, etc and CVT reduced blank worked beautifully but I seem to be limited to 4024x1648.

So try the Nvidia/(AMD if they have that) preset timings; I will be trying to learn about custom timings in order to maybe get a higher resolution.

But I am estatic with the effect of that little bit of downsampling; do not settle before you figure it out.

Hawk269

I sincerely doubt your tv will take damage just by trying out the different custom resolutions via Nvidia control panel.

// Corky

Thanks...Can anyone else weigh in on this. I am only getting the "DISPLAY" option versus the GPU option. From what I understand, using GPU tells the GPU to run at the higher resoultion, but since I do not have that option, I just want to make sure that if I choose to use "DISPLAY" that the GPU is still doing the scaling.

Mulligan

Banned
I downsampled to high in Bioshock Infinite and changed the setting ingame, now i can't open the game to change it back as my monitor goes crazy and the game crashes and i can't find where to alter the resolution in the Config file. Can anyone help?

I downsampled to high in Bioshock Infinite and changed the setting ingame, now i can't open the game to change it back as my monitor goes crazy and the game crashes and i can't find where to alter the resolution in the Config file. Can anyone help?

Documents>My Games> Bioshock Infinite> XGame> Config> XUserOptions.ini

Down at the bottom you can manually input the resolution. (ResolutionX and ResolutionY)

So I'm running hdmi out to my plasma and was wondering if anyone has a workaround for enabling the GPU option under the Perform Scaling drop down in the nVidia control panel. I have the option between display and gpu on my monitor but not for the HDTV.

So I'm running hdmi out to my plasma and was wondering if anyone has a workaround for enabling the GPU option under the Perform Scaling drop down in the nVidia control panel. I have the option between display and gpu on my monitor but not for the HDTV.

are you duplicating the display to both screens? I think certain scaling options are only available for single monitor setups. I know... :/

Hawk269

I have the same issues hooking it up to my HDTV. When I tried a monitor it gave me the option for GPU, but connecting to the TV does not. Down sampling will still work using Display though.

are you duplicating the display to both screens? I think certain scaling options are only available for single monitor setups. I know... :/
I just extend the desktop, still adjusting to being back on nVidia as a platform, trying to stretch my Titan's legs.

I actually just finished a Crysis play through using your config from back in the day and playing that game in the 90s in dx10 mode is such a cathartic experience.

DTKT

Could DS cause more tearing? I'm playing Bioshock Infinite at 2560x1440 downsampled to 1920x1080 and I'm getting a lot of tearing.

Not sure if it's the game for the DS.

I have the same issues hooking it up to my HDTV. When I tried a monitor it gave me the option for GPU, but connecting to the TV does not. Down sampling will still work using Display though.
You got a link for down sampling through display? Everything I've seen starts with enabling gpu scaling.

Smokey

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought at 4k res, the max you could get was 30fps? I have my settings at 30hz, but in game I'm seeing more than that via Precision X overlay and the usual tearing unless I put V-Sync on.

Hawk269

You got a link for down sampling through display? Everything I've seen starts with enabling gpu scaling.

No link, I was just able to do it. Hit Display, then check the box and apply. Then hit the box to make a custom rez. I was able to get to 3200x??? cant remember. But it did work because all my UI elements and my OSD for Precision all reduced in size and the resolution was available in games.

Personally however, I can't tell a big difference in using down sampling and running pure 1080p on my TV. I have a high end Sony HDTV so it is really good, but perhaps a monitor is needed to appreciate down sampling. I tried several games switching the rez from the 1080, 2560 & 3200 and did not see to much difference at all. Even my fiancé could not really discern the differences other than the hud elements getting smaller. I know it is working too since it chews up Vram like a mother!

Alright, I need help. I'm trying to increase the resolution (on Windows 8, nvidia monitor) and I have a black negative space to the left of the desktop display. The thing is, it goes away every other time I hit "apply" and I can't figure out any other reason why. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Additionally (and I'm sure this is a stupid question), but the desktop display actually stretches past what the monitor can show when I increase the resolution. What am I doing wrong?

I really want to try this out but I fear it's not possible as I'm hooked up to a HD TV and I've read I can't get the option to "Perform scaling on: GPU" with an Nvidia card hooked to a HDTV. When I look it only says "Display". I have no intention of getting a monitor just for Downscaling!
Is there a way round this? I'm sure I could do this before some months ago...

Adam Blue

I really want to try this out but I fear it's not possible as I'm hooked up to a HD TV and I've read I can't get the option to "Perform scaling on: GPU" with an Nvidia card hooked to a HDTV. When I look it only says "Display". I have no intention of getting a monitor just for Downscaling!
Is there a way round this? I'm sure I could do this before some months ago...

I don't think you can do this on an HDTV, but I could be wrong.

For some reason my vibrance goes up when I downsample. It doesn't get darker, it's just that the game gets way more contrast than it had before. I tried to change my colour options but since I applied the hack that makes my monitor 74Hz, Nvidia panel sees that I'm connected through DVI-PC Display.

You absolutely can. One of my gaming monitors is also my bedroom tv.
Well, for some reason I don't have the option to "scale on the GPU". Do I need nTune or something added to the Nvidia control panel?
That said I am actually connecting via a Sony A/V amp so I can get the 7.1 audio from my PC. But I don't see how that can not give me the option to scale on the gpu. I thought that would be a standard option.

Well, for some reason I don't have the option to "scale on the GPU". Do I need nTune or something added to the Nvidia control panel?
That said I am actually connecting via a Sony A/V amp so I can get the 7.1 audio from my PC. But I don't see how that can not give me the option to scale on the gpu. I thought that would be a standard option.
That's the issue I ran into when trying to downsample on my TV, I can get 4K when GPU scaling on my monitor but limited to 2560x1440 when using the display to scale on my plasma. If you find a workaround to enable that option I'd love to know.

Gbraga

1440p looks blurry on my monitor :/

1620p, 1800p and 2160p all look incredible, but 1440p looks worse than 1080p.

Never noticed before because I never used 1440p before, most games I can downsample I can go higher without any problems.

I messed around a bit with the configs and it seems to look better now, but I can still swear 1080p is sharper.

Unai

That's the issue I ran into when trying to downsample on my TV, I can get 4K when GPU scaling on my monitor but limited to 2560x1440 when using the display to scale on my plasma. If you find a workaround to enable that option I'd love to know.

I have the same issue. In the monitor I can choose GPU, but in the HDTV I can only select Display. GTX 580 SLI here.

GHG

I have the same issue. In the monitor I can choose GPU, but in the HDTV I can only select Display. GTX 580 SLI here.

Are you using an amp as well? If so try connecting the pc directly to your hdtv, ammend all your downsampling settings when its connected that way (including setting scaling to gpu), then reconnect it all via the amp. Your settings should remain intact then.

Top Bottom