• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Downsampling, a simple method for making your pc-games look better.

Maaseru

Banned
Hmm that's a new one, haven't heard of the nvidia control panel freezing like that. I'm assuming you're using the latest-ish drivers?

What you can do is try to decrease the refreshrate to 59Hz, if you've already tried that you can try to slowly test your way by decreasing the amount of "total pixels", for example, the manual settings I am using for 3840x2160 have the values of 2020 pixels horizontal and 1090 pixels vertical. So in other words, you can try 2019, 2018, 2017 etc pixels which results in a lower pixel clock that might yield you a working resolution.

On the subject of benefit it's a matter of preference, you're using a 120Hz monitor which's main attraction is the 120 Hz refresh rate I assume and the input response / smoothness you gain from it. The benefit of downsampling is the gain in image quality and anti aliasing.
I've been playing a long time at 60hz, the fluidity I get with 120hz is awesome, but would like to get a better image quality. I got it to work at 3600 finally, but its a bit sluggish.

I kinda got it to work at 3840, but maybe not quite, when I do the test the screen comes on ok but it kinda goes. What I mean is a correct image shows, but for a few seconds, it goes to black and comes back. Does this mean it is not a good resolution?

Also at 3600 and 3840 I get about a 132Mhz pixel clock, but in 2880 I get a 178Mhz pixel clock, but it seems to work better at that lower resolution, why is that?

I'll keep trying my settings a bit to see what works best. Shoud I lower both horizontal and vertical clocks at the same times always?

Thank for your answer.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I've been playing a long time at 60hz, the fluidity I get with 120hz is awesome, but would like to get a better image quality. I got it to work at 3600 finally, but its a bit sluggish.

I kinda got it to work at 3840, but maybe not quite, when I do the test the screen comes on ok but it kinda goes. What I mean is a correct image shows, but for a few seconds, it goes to black and comes back. Does this mean it is not a good resolution?

Also at 3600 and 3840 I get about a 132Mhz pixel clock, but in 2880 I get a 178Mhz pixel clock, but it seems to work better at that lower resolution, why is that?

I'll keep trying my settings a bit to see what works best. Shoud I lower both horizontal and vertical clocks at the same times always?

Thank for your answer.

3600x2025, while being a non-standard resolution, is but a stone throw away from 3840x2160 ( aka 4k ) I think the difference is around ~10% or something so I wouldn't be surprised if the difference when downsampling to 1920x1080 was unperceivable between the two. In other words, don't waste too much time if you already have 3600x2025 working.

If the screen goes black when you press "test" and stays like that for a couple of seconds without yielding an image that shows the desired resolution after then yeah I don't think the test is "going through".

The reason you have 178 Mhz pixel clock at 2880 is most likely because you're using a 75 Hz refresh rate ( as you mentioned before ? ) thus it feels less sluggish and gives the impression of "working better". Another factor could be that since 3600x2025 isn't divisible by 4 ( unlike 2880x1620, 3840x2160 ) the image ( at desktop level ) can appear weird due to scaling going askew.

Lower the total pixels one side at a time and work from there, problem is that 2020 and 1090 are already rather low values, I believe 2200 and 1125 are the default settings for 1920x1080 monitors but the worst thing that can happen is that you have to manually reboot if things lock up ( which they do for me when going too low ).

dino1980

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/01/vesa-outs-latest-displayport-dual-mode-standard-with-4k-hdmi/

As manufacturers ramp up the pixels for TVs, that tech will soon trickle over to the computer side of things. As such, the VESA standard body's just announced a new DisplayPort version that'll work with the highest HDMI 1.4a resolutions like Ultra HD (4k), 3D 1080p60 and 1080p with deep (billions or more) colors. It'll be able to output those modes through a new DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter, version 1.1, once new graphics cards and devices arrive "later this year" with the standard, according to VESA. As it stands, DisplayPort Dual-Mode already supports all those resolutions natively (and more), including UltraHD at 60Hz or even four simultaneous 1080p60 monitors. However, the new standard, along with a compliant adapter, will let you drive HDMI 1.4 TVs or displays using a single cable at the higher resolutions (if supported) -- rather than the 1080p60 it was limited to before. If you need a higher res version of things, check the PR after the break.

I cant downsample with my tv and I think it is because of the limits of a HDMI 1.4 cabel (1080p, 60fps) So if it is so will this new cable make it so that I can downsample to my tv?

Corky

I cant downsample with my tv and I think it is because of the limits of a HDMI 1.4 cabel (1080p, 60fps) So if it is so will this new cable make it so that I can downsample to my tv?

See here's where I really would like some super techhead to come in and clarify things for us. I reasoned in a similar fashion and opted to buy a displayport cable ( displayport having, as mentioned in the article you linked, a higher bandwidth / "resolution support" ) hoping that I would reach 3840x2160@60Hz with that cable as opposed to my current single-link DVI cable.

Result? Well, I somehow got worse results - not being able to downsample from such "low" resolutions as 3200x1800 via displayport.

DrSlek

Tried a bunch of games in 2560x1440 last night.

My god, the difference is astronomical. Torchlight 2 and ArmA 2 look fucking gorgeous. Tried in The Witcher 2 as well. Looked good, but I felt like it needed a bit of extra tweaking in the lighting to get it on the same level.

Likely a silly question with an obvious answer but its something I'd like to know. Why does downsampling make games look so much darker? I've noticed it before but lately it seems that games in 1080P almost look blown out in comparison to games downsampled even a tiny bit, say to 1440P, with the contrast levels being completely different.

Noticed this in Crysis 2 most recently while replaying it with the Maldo pack.

Edit: Comparing screenshots taken at 1080P/1440P the color/tone is the exact same. What's going on, is it just a visual trick or is something weird happening in game at 1080p?

Sethos

Banned
Tried a bunch of games in 2560x1440 last night.

My god, the difference is astronomical. Torchlight 2 and ArmA 2 look fucking gorgeous. Tried in The Witcher 2 as well. Looked good, but I felt like it needed a bit of extra tweaking in the lighting to get it on the same level.

Isn't it a bit pointless to downsample ArmA 2 when the game has internal render res options.

Jtrizzy

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/01/vesa-outs-latest-displayport-dual-mode-standard-with-4k-hdmi/

As manufacturers ramp up the pixels for TVs, that tech will soon trickle over to the computer side of things. As such, the VESA standard body's just announced a new DisplayPort version that'll work with the highest HDMI 1.4a resolutions like Ultra HD (4k), 3D 1080p60 and 1080p with deep (billions or more) colors. It'll be able to output those modes through a new DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter, version 1.1, once new graphics cards and devices arrive "later this year" with the standard, according to VESA. As it stands, DisplayPort Dual-Mode already supports all those resolutions natively (and more), including UltraHD at 60Hz or even four simultaneous 1080p60 monitors. However, the new standard, along with a compliant adapter, will let you drive HDMI 1.4 TVs or displays using a single cable at the higher resolutions (if supported) -- rather than the 1080p60 it was limited to before. If you need a higher res version of things, check the PR after the break.

Does this mean people with 3dtv's will be able to do 1080p60 and 3D, as well as 120hz? This is huge for me if so. I will just stick with my panny plasma for pc gaming.

edit: apparently this changes nothing. One day someone will release the panel of my dreams. Or I'll just give up on the idea of 1080p603D on a plasma.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Anyone whose got a 680, what's the highest resolution you can achieve? Frame rate can be whatever. 30hz refresh rate is totally fine. I'm just curious.

elbourreau

Can I downsample on an old Pioneer Kuro 46 inches which is HD Ready?

Yep I assume you can!

But through HDMI, VGA has a "problem" with the native resolution, and you will not be abble to go 720p but 4/3 768p, or something like that! (well with my old pioneer it worked so... With my 5090 it was the same, 1080p native through HDMI, 768p native through VGA)...

Here to post a really sincere thanks to Corky, I managed to put my PC on the living room, leaving behind my old HDready Pioneer and enjoying 1080p on my kuro 5090!
There is a HUGE différence in IQ, I though it wouldn't be so enjoyable! I'm abble to downsample from 1440p any actual game, the only one I can't is that crysis 3 beta, but it's still great on 1080p!

Some eye fest (from my last games)!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92655119@N07/

Cheers guys!

Corky

Anyone whose got a 680, what's the highest resolution you can achieve? Frame rate can be whatever. 30hz refresh rate is totally fine. I'm just curious.

Maximum Digital Resolution 4096x2160
Maximum VGA Resolution 2048x1536

I love your definition and explaining in what down sampling is, in very neat.

Can you also explain what MSAA, MLAA, FXAA etc are?

Hah thanks, yeah the links provided by pottuvoi give great explanations on what each of the different AAs are. I wish I knew programming or just the general math/language behind it but I'm as layman as they come, hopefully with time I'll be able to learn more and more.

Here to post a really sincere thanks to Corky

You're welcome man, I'm basically rehashing things I've learned from other forums but I'll happily spread the word.

is downsampling on AMD still not working ?

Has there not been a new catalyst driver just recently?

Hokhoku

Banned
Yep I assume you can!

But through HDMI, VGA has a "problem" with the native resolution, and you will not be abble to go 720p but 4/3 768p, or something like that! (well with my old pioneer it worked so... With my 5090 it was the same, 1080p native through HDMI, 768p native through VGA)...

Here to post a really sincere thanks to Corky, I managed to put my PC on the living room, leaving behind my old HDready Pioneer and enjoying 1080p on my kuro 5090!
There is a HUGE différence in IQ, I though it wouldn't be so enjoyable! I'm abble to downsample from 1440p any actual game, the only one I can't is that crysis 3 beta, but it's still great on 1080p!

Some eye fest (from my last games)!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92655119@N07/

Cheers guys!

Thank you my friend

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I was hoping for more of an actual test.

The GTX 570 max is listed at 2560x1600, and I've currently got a profile set up for 3840x2160 that works at 30fps.

Wd5n.png

Corky

I was hoping for more of an actual test.

The GTX 570 max is listed at 2560x1600, and I've currently got a profile set up for 3840x2160 that works at 30fps.

Wd5n.png

Well damn, why is that the case? Why do they say "2560x1600" max resolution when the card obviously is capable of higher :eek: ?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Well damn, why is that the case? Why do they say "2560x1600" max resolution when the card obviously is capable of higher :eek: ?

I'm guessing because for most people using the card, they just look for "1080p?" and if it does that they're fine.

I thought perhaps is was that 2560x1600 was the highest possible at 60hz, but then I realized I have another profile that's 3200x1800 at 60hz, so I have no idea what that numbers about.

That's just the max output. When you're downsampling from 3840x2160 you're not outputting 3840x2160 to your monitor - the GPU scales the image before it sends the frame to the monitor.

Could this be a case of what some people have brought up in this thread, namely the limited RGB bug?

Must be it, I tried downloading the toggler linked a few pages back but it crashes when I try to set full range. Is there any particular way to get around this issue, 4GB GTX670 if it matters. Am using HDMI to HDMI equipped HD TV.

Corky

That's just the max output. When you're downsampling from 3840x2160 you're not outputting 3840x2160 to your monitor - the GPU scales the image before it sends the frame to the monitor.

Ah that makes sense yeah, thanks for clarifying :)

Quick question:

My native max res is 1680x1050. I can downsample most games from 2560x1600 ok. Tried going higher but got the 'resolution is not supported' message. No biggie, 2560x1600 looks great.
But, for more demanding games it affects FPS a bit too much, but ive also setup 1920x1200 (or 1980, whatever it is, sorry i forget). Would there be much point downsampling from 1920x1200 to 1680x1050? It gives better performance but not sure if it'd really benefit that much in the AA department.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Nope, the GPU is definitely sending out 3840x2160 resolution because

1. Screenshots taken are saved at 2160p resolution

2. When performing downsampling on my display, it still works, which means the GPU is just straight up outputting at that resolution.

Edit:

See here. Screenshots is 2160p, and you can see the scaling is done on the display, so the GPU is definitely outputting it.

Corky

2. When performing downsampling on my display, it still works, which means the GPU is just straight up outputting at that resolution.

Edit:

See here. Screenshots is 2160p, and you can see the scaling is done on the display, so the GPU is definitely outputting it.

I thought of this as well but could it be that the 'framegrab' happens before the gpu outputs the image ( and thus before actually resizing it ? ) to the monitor itself?

jediyoshi

Edit:

He's saying what's sent to your display is a downsampled image, not what's being drawn before it happens. Your monitor wouldn't know what to do with a 2160p source (assuming you have a 1080p monitor).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
He's saying what's sent to your display is a downsampled image, not what's being drawn before it happens. Your monitor wouldn't know what to do with a 2160p source (assuming you have a 1080p monitor).

I thought of this as well but could it be that the 'framegrab' happens before the gpu outputs the image ( and thus before actually resizing it ? ) to the monitor itself?

Well, I guess my question then would be why do they give you the option to perform scaling on the GPU or the Display?

Either way, it's kind of irrelevant for the purpose of my original question.

What's the largest resolution you can set using a 680 is closer to my real question. I just wanted to know what are the largest resolution frame grabs I would be able to do with it.

I think the idea of capturing screens from games at such high resolutions that you'd be able to print your own poster out is really cool.

ZetaEpyon

Well, I guess my question then would be why do they give you the option to perform scaling on the GPU or the Display?

Either way, it's kind of irrelevant for the purpose of my original question.

What's the largest resolution you can set using a 680 is closer to my real question. I just wanted to know what are the largest resolution frame grabs I would be able to do with it.

I think the idea of capturing screens from games at such high resolutions that you'd be able to print your own poster out is really cool.

If you didn't set it to GPU, you wouldn't be able to output such a high resolution at that refresh rate.

On my 680, I had no trouble setting it to 3840x2160 @ 60fps. I didn't really try higher than that, since I'm using a 1080p monitor.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
If you didn't set it to GPU, you wouldn't be able to output such a high resolution at that refresh rate.

I tested it and it works the same when I set scaling to Display.

To clarify, it works when setting scaling to GPU, as well as when setting scaling to Display.

Jtrizzy

Does anyone here game on a 3DTV? I was just reading about downsampling in 3D. Apparently downsampling to from 1440 to 720 in 3D looks almost as good as 1080p60 in 3d. I don't have access to my plasma at the moment, so I can't try it.

I tried this on my ati 7950 card with a 1080p montior and a 1080p plasma with the CRU utility and everything just looked fuzzier . Is that whats supposed to happen? Maybe there is more detail? but it didnt really like the effect and dont see much of a difference.

Corky

PSA : those same 4k settings worked just as well on the latest WHQL drivers from nvidia ( 314.07 ) as they did on the beta drivers that I first got it to run well on ( 313.96 beta ).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Does anyone here game on a 3DTV? I was just reading about downsampling in 3D. Apparently downsampling to from 1440 to 720 in 3D looks almost as good as 1080p60 in 3d. I don't have access to my plasma at the moment, so I can't try it.

I just play at 1080/3D and implement SGSSAA with Nvidia Inspector.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Request for anyone with a 680

Are you capable of setting up a resolution of 5120x2880 set to at least 30hz?

Des0lar

will learn eventually
can someone help me here?:

2) Go to "Change resolution" under "Display", Press "Customize", tick the box "Enable Resolutions not exposed by the display" -> Press "Create custom resolution"

The "Creat custom resolution" button is greyed out. I have an GTX460. My current resolution is 1680x1050.

Edit: Fixed it. I cannot have "duplicate monitor" enabled when doing this. Sucks :/ But oh well

Jtrizzy

I just play at 1080/3D and implement SGSSAA with Nvidia Inspector.

on a 3dtv, or a monitor? 1080p on 3dtv's only goes up to 24hz and for 60 you have to scale back to 1280x720. but I hear that if you downsample in 3D from 1080 or 1440 to 720 it helps with the fact that you are displaying below it's native res of 1920x1080. I can't access mine for another month or two unfortunately.

jet1911

Just tried this with my GTX560. It worked but my card is simply not good enough for me to use this other than to take screenshots lol. I'll take 60fps and shit AA over good AA and under 30fps.

Is it supposed to be blurry? Cause I've tried both 2560x1440 and 3840x2160 but they look blurry as hell. My monitor is 1920x1080.

Top Bottom