• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Downsampling, a simple method for making your pc-games look better.

Thrakier

For those with washed out/crushed blacks - you need to fix our "Desktop color settings" in the desktop nvidia driver menu. Change it from Video to Desktop or vice versa depending on what your problem is. The settings names are very confusing. Changing RGB in the videos settings does nothing.

Had someone tell me this on Flickr:

"If you're curious about 21:9 monitors, I can go up to 5120x2160@30hz on mine (Dell U2913WM - auto timings)."

Hnnnnnggggggggg

Kemal86

I have an AMD Card and am using one of the guides from Guru 3D for downsampling. I've got my PC hooked up to my 1080P TV and am trying to use 1440p.

I've got it to "work" but there's some pretty bad display corruption going on. It's "worse" in some games than others, but it could just be the visuals of some games making it more/less noticeable. I couldn't see it at all in Tomb Raider but it's really bad in Skyrim and especially FF14.

I took a video with my phone and put it on YouTube so you can see what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9hLQ5gd9hU

Any idea what's causing it / how to fix?

(Also: are there any tools for AMD cards like the one posted above that will let me get the better contrast / richer colors at 1080p?)

Smokey

Any tips for me to get to 3840x2400 @ 60hz? Highest I can get to is 3840x2400 @ 40hz. Anything higher and I get a message saying "Test Failed -- 3840x2400 @ 41+ is not supported by your display" :(

I'm using DisplayPort btw, and latest Nvidia beta drivers.

So the recent AMD GPU announcements mentioned 4k rendering and the memory bandwidth to handle it. Among others.

Jussayin', I bet wonderful things will be coming our way from both GPU camps that really open up 4k performance, which would indicate IQ reaching that 'zero-aliasing' peak quite soon, playably.

I just hope that doesn't also mean some sort of functional neutering of downsampling, but I doubt that.

Whuchu got nvidia??

I tried looking through the thread but I can't see anyone that has a multi-monitor setup that can get this to work?

I have 2 x titans @ 5760x1080 - I just wanted to try this and see for myself - also I have 120hz monitors, anyone know if it can be done?

HurricaneRed

Neo Member
Hi, I'm currently using a Syncmaster 2233BW (3D,120hz monitor) with a 760 GTX OC from gigabyte.

I followed the tutorial, but I'm not sure if my monitor can handle downsampling right. it's 16:10 (1680x1050 native resolution)

This tutorial seems to go well with 16:9 displays.

So if anyone can help me with that matter that would be great, thanks.

I tried looking through the thread but I can't see anyone that has a multi-monitor setup that can get this to work?

I have 2 x titans @ 5760x1080 - I just wanted to try this and see for myself - also I have 120hz monitors, anyone know if it can be done?

Just downsample each monitor and if need be, set the total res before starting the game.

Hi, I'm currently using a Syncmaster 2233BW (3D,120hz monitor) with a 760 GTX OC from gigabyte.

I followed the tutorial, but I'm not sure if my monitor can handle downsampling right. it's 16:10 (1680x1050 native resolution)

This tutorial seems to go well with 16:9 displays.

So if anyone can help me with that matter that would be great, thanks.

Aspect ratio doesn't matter. Your display should be able to go to 3360 x 2100.

I'm at 2560x1440 on a GTX 570 at 60hz, and it's my first attempt at downsampling.

Am I doing it right?

If that's above your native res, yes. Depending on what your monitor's native res is you can push it further.

^^^^All above: To get 4k you may need to edit your monitor's drivers using the EDID override stuff. For instance, I have to lower my refresh rate to 54hz for 4k.

Just downsample each monitor and if need be, set the total res before starting the game.

For nvidia surround, that isn't possible. From what I understand, you have to set a single resolution, which id determined by the nvidia control panel. You can't set up a custom surround resolution as far as I know. I didn't mess with it too long.

I just tried this for the first time at 4K. On my 1080p monitor, the menus on most games are blurry, but in game quality is amazing.

Hawk269

I just tried this for the first time at 4K. On my 1080p monitor, the menus on most games are blurry, but in game quality is amazing.

That is weird. The menu's should not be blurry when down sampling. If anything, the menu's should be really small unless it is one of those games designed with a UI that scales depending on your resolution. But menu's should not be blurry when doing this.

That is weird. The menu's should not be blurry when down sampling. If anything, the menu's should be really small unless it is one of those games designed with a UI that scales depending on your resolution. But menu's should not be blurry when doing this.

Seems to be Mirror's Edge only.

Hawk269

I have a Panasonic TC-L47E50 1080p TV, how high should I go?

You can keep going as long as it passes the test. It is very dependent on monitor/TV, but when you select the res and run the test it will tell you if it passes or fails.

ss_lemonade

I usually have 1440p set as a custom res so I was surprised that I could just go in and add 3840x2160 as well with no additional fiddling.

I've had 1 or 2 games freak out though at that resolution. Sometimes, a loading screen would just stay black but return to normal once in game. Another time, after doing a lot of alt tabbing back to the desktop, the screen just stayed black and I had to restart my computer.

Scrabble

Just found out about this, works for me, thanks.

I was wondering why xiv benchmark looked so washed out at 1080p but somehow much more vibrant with better contrast when I ran a custom resolution.

So I had always thought my t.v. was in the limited range, that's the setting I use for my ps3, but did always notice that games look washed out if I'm not using a custom resolution.

So just for kicks I used the toggle to set it in the RGB full range, but now games look like blacks are being crushed and it's too dark, but the image is no longer washed out and the contrast is much better. How am I supposed to know what range my t.v. operates?

Since I did calibrate my t.v. using the limited range on my ps3, I'm going to guess my t.v. operates in the RGB full range if my display still looks washed out.

jediyoshi

It's also a very expensive (resource wise) way of making your games look better.

Depends on the game and alternative iq enhancement methods. Downsampling is infinitely more useful/effective than throwing AA at games in something like the Dolphin emulator.

Do Source games work with this? I tried CSGO just a sec ago and had to deal with a complete black screen until I could get it back to 1920x1080.

Does CSGO work with this?

rezn0r

Excuse the bump but I have a question I'm wondering if anyone else ran into. I can get 3840x2160 working at 56 Hz - but my mouse (Razer Deathadder) completely shits itself, almost like it's stuck aiming 'up' in something like HL2EP1. Any custom resolution lower than that works, I know it must have something to do with sampling rate but I'm a rookie with all of that. For the record I'm on Windows 8 x64, I don't have any Razer software installed, and I'm on 331.40 for Nvidia drivers. GPU is a 680.

Scrabble

I've got an issue when using a custom resolution with nivida. My hdtv operates in the limited range (16-235), but whenever I use a custom resolution it will switch to RGB Full (0-255). I've got it set to limited in the nvidia control panel but it doesn't seem to matter when I use a custom resolution. I want to be able to downsample, but not if it means getting crushed blacks.

inyue

Banned
Hnnn, is there any downsampling alternatives to make my games look better?

I got a laptop with 680m and looks like theres is no way to access the nvidia control panel (the Intel HD thing takes full control and I can't disable it on the bios).

Sanctuary

Oh god. The first time I played Dead Space (360), was on a 35'' Trinitron. It wasn't HD, but it looked "really good" (lol) to me at the time. Later on I ended up playing it on my current plasma just to see the difference, and it was pretty significant, especially with the aspect ratio change. It obviously looked better.

I just now hooked up my PC to my plasma for the first time and downsampled Dead Space PC to 2880 x 1620. Wow, it's so unreal how much better it looks and I have it locked at 60fps instead of the shitty 30fps from the console version. That really makes a difference.

Is there a way to fix the shitty textures though, or is that just something you have to deal with when rendering much higher than the default the texures were meant for? Some look fine/good, but a lot of them just look really bad.

Is there a way to fix the shitty textures though, or is that just something you have to deal with when rendering much higher than the default the texures were meant for? Some look fine/good, but a lot of them just look really bad.

It's an old game. The textures just aren't that great.

Sanctuary

It also didn't help that EA didn't include higher resolution textures from the start. They did the same thing with the second game, and I think third as well.

Oh well. I'll be trying out Arkham City next, with PhysX on.

Thorgal

It also didn't help that EA didn't include higher resolution textures from the start. They did the same thing with the second game, and I think third as well.

Oh well. I'll be trying out Arkham City next, with PhysX on.

Developers very rarely make higher res textures after the game has shipped.
Last one i can remember who did that where the Devs of sleeping dogs and the elder scrolls .

so if the game does't have high res textures as an option from the start you are out of luck unless the game has a modding community who is willing to make those high res textures themselves.

If my PC gets X fps for triple monitor does that equate to the fps I would get with downsampling?

Just saying downsampling is rather vague. Downsampling is running a game at a higher resolution than your monitor natively supports. How HIGH you decide to set the resolution will ultimately determine your performance.

If running a game on 3 monitors requires rendering 3x more pixels, in THEORY, you'd get the same FPS using a resolution that resulted in 3x more pixels.

Using that logic, a single monitor running 3840x2160 would be more demanding than 3 monitors at 1920x1080.

That's just guessing on my part. I've no real experience running a surround setup.

jediyoshi

Crossposting from the AMD thread

AMD DOWNSAMPLING LIVES
(testing on 13.11 beta1)

You want the zip from here and follow instructions until it talks about registry editing
http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=9957265#post9957265

When I ran list.bat, it gave me adapterindex 0 and displayindex 5, so in the next step when you edit the values in customresolution.txt, I made those 0 and 5.

After that, I backed up my registry (just in case) and searched for ModeTimingOverrides (which led to ModeTimingOverrides_DVI_Conn12802 for me) and opened up the modify window

Check here
http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=9959536#post9959536

Click on spoiler under the setup you have and want to check the values and just match them up (they're all in order)

Rebooted and it's golden

Sanctuary

Apparently my PC monitor does not like dowmsampling when using an HDMI to mini HDMI adapter, while my HDTV had no issues with it. The option for GPU scaling was nowhere to be found in the option menu after hooking my monitor back up. Previously I had no issues and was simply using DVI. Just hooked the DVI cable back up, and the option is now back. No idea why this is happening.

After hooking my monitor back up last night, I ended up with a random BSOD while screwing around with Dolphin (never happened before), and I kept getting a brief black screen when switching between full screen and windowed for Youtube, or simply alt tabbing. Thought maybe I had unseat the graphics card while moving it, but that wasn't it.

Honey Bunny

Every 16:9 res up to and including 4k tested fine for me, which is a blast. However, when I try to run Audiosurf at full 4k, while I get picture, I get no sound. Is this happening because there's simply too much data to transfer through the HDMI connection? Might be a stupid question because I'm not very knowledgeable with this stuff, but it's what sprung to mind first.

Just saying downsampling is rather vague. Downsampling is running a game at a higher resolution than your monitor natively supports. How HIGH you decide to set the resolution will ultimately determine your performance.

If running a game on 3 monitors requires rendering 3x more pixels, in THEORY, you'd get the same FPS using a resolution that resulted in 3x more pixels.

Using that logic, a single monitor running 3840x2160 would be more demanding than 3 monitors at 1920x1080.

That's just guessing on my part. I've no real experience running a surround setup.

Thanks, I'll find out with Batman Origins.

ICPEE

I have a 560ti. I doubt I can downsample most games while achieving 60fps. Any recommended card to make up the difference?

I have my Zotac GTX 560Ti setup at a max resolution of 3700 x 2081 @ 48Hz.

My Samsung monitor can only go as high as the above resolution.

Top Bottom