• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT| As the Blight fades, BioWare returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcrunch

Shale because why not.
Then with Shale, you had to do that whole dungeon down in the cellar with the demons. Then the puzzle thingy with the kitty demon. Then you'd got the key to unlock Shale. That was a big substantial quest.

That's a lot more substance than Vivienne or Blackwall's "hey, you're cool" 30 second joining up.

Shale isn't a good comparison with anything in DAI because she's DLC.

Vivienne is a cutscene but no fighting (so basically a Zevran without the fight), Blackwall is preceded by 1) the Storm Coast sidequest with the Warden journals and 2) Leliana discussing
how ALL the Grey Wardens have gone missing
and you are specifically going to find him to figure out why, and why he among all of them hasn't. The thing lacking with Blackwall is his "I dunno" answer and
his unexplained resistance to the false Calling
- he really should have had a sense of what was happening despite being a lone wolf. Even your Inquisitor goes "welp this was stupid" and tries to leave before he joins. I think Blackwall's intro is the weakest of all the companions.

Also Vivienne's cutscene shows off fabulous Orlesian fashions and Vivienne herself is both elegant AND inclined to freeze nobility that mouth off so you had best not h8.

Teknoman

I really hope they fix the gender referral glitch soon. Just kinda odd to be called the wrong title, and I'm sure it'll mess up some dialog options later. Not to mention the game could think I'm a rogue... I have two blue unnamed daggers in my inventory I don't remember finding.

meronpan

Neo Member
Can someone please tell me if there is really no option (for a rogue) to quick-switch weapons during a fight? (ranged / close-combat)

I am very sure this was possible in the first Dragon Age (didn't play DA2) and cannot think they made such a huge mistake.

My hopes are not very high, though, as they even blocked access to the inventory during a fight. What are they thinking?!

Xeteh

Can someone please tell me if there is really no option (for a rogue) to quick-switch weapons during a fight? (ranged / close-combat)

I am very sure this was possible in the first Dragon Age (didn't play DA2) and cannot think they made such a huge mistake.

My hopes are not very high, though, as they even blocked access to the inventory during a fight. What are they thinking?!

Nope! Just add it to the list of things you can't do anymore.

wolfhowwl

Banned

No you cannot.

However an enemy rogue boss during one of the later story missions can.

Keinu

Quick question since I haven't used Origin before; if I buy the physical pc edition do I get a Origin code so I can download the game and play without the cd like steam games?

wolfhowwl

Banned
It would be nice if there was a setting that could control the distance your ranged party members keep from a target. They seem to have a preference for not only marching closer to a target as they fire but bunching up as well!

After you confront her
reading the book she goes from uguu fangirl mode to I'll slit your throat at the drop of hat. The transition back to regular Cassandra at the end was hilarious.

LoL right. I also got a scene with Cassandra, right after that scene, where
she reject me and ask to stop the flirting because I'm a woman. :(

It would be nice if there was a setting that could control the distance your ranged party members keep from a target. They seem to have a preference for not only marching closer to a target as they fire but bunching up as well!

Have you tried this?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=141386170&postcount=18726

leng jai

That's a bit of a problem with the game in general. The entire campaign is chock full of these Assassin's Creed-ish/MMO-ish collection quests that feel inconsequential. It's a bit too much filler. I'm not saying that DAO didn't have these either, I'm trying not to look to the past with rose-tinted glasses, but the ratio of filler to meat seemed more balanced.

Even just collecting party members feels lackadaisical and half-hearted a lot of time. You meet Vivienne, she says hi, and thirty seconds later... she's in your group. Arrive at Blackwall's hut... he's in your group. Get to the beach... Iron Bull's joined up for your cause. How about some actual story and substance and development of a bond or relationship before they decide to join this newfangled Inquisition? It's shocking how you acquire new party members in this game. i mean hell, I have more desire to get Harding to join my party than most of these people.

This is actually what I feared when I read about the scope and amount of content this game had. It feels more like a super polished single player MMO with much higher production values. Hopefully the core storyline picks up once I leave the Hinterlands.

valkyre

Am I the only one who finds the game's menus a complete nightmare to work with? I mean just the equipment screen gives me headaches with all that scrolling to find what my character has equipped and then try to apply changes.

Footos22

Am I the only one who finds the game's menus a complete nightmare to work with? I mean just the equipment screen gives me headaches with all that scrolling to find what my character has equipped and then try to apply changes.

Yep its awful, cant even find a way to organise items. might just be me being dumb though.

Also using the stick to navigate the menus is the dumbest thing ive seen for a long time.

The amount of times ive changed characters by accident on the inventory screen. RAGGGE

For all you 2H Warriors out there, I suggest grabbing this schematic from the Hissing Wastes:

iLCzSTCmNTwOW.png

ipMcKJvfgBHQz.png

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Does anyone serious select No to the "let them join your party" question when you meet a new playable character?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

I HATE IT

I bet they were so proud when they designed it too, "look how visually simple we made a complex RPG!" - but it's such a bitch to navigate, it's not intuitive at all nor does it make comparisons between items that easy. Hell it's hard to even find what you uave equipped

Hastati

Started a new game on Nightmare.

Wow. Can't even get past the prologue boss.

It took me six tries or so. It's pretty punishing, but as others have said, you can cheese it. Just make sure you focus all of your time on closing the damn rift, even if everyone else has to die.

But bears in nightmare difficulty are hilariously OP. Much terror and fun to be had running around the northern Hinterlands at a low level, trying not to die.

Speaking of which, for those who have invested a large number of hours into this game on Nightmare, do you think it was worth it? I'm wondering if I should switch to a lower difficulty to speed up the pace a bit..

royox

Shale isn't a good comparison with anything in DAI because she's DLC.

Vivienne is a cutscene but no fighting (so basically a Zevran without the fight), Blackwall is preceded by 1) the Storm Coast sidequest with the Warden journals and 2) Leliana discussing
how ALL the Grey Wardens have gone missing
and you are specifically going to find him to figure out why, and why he among all of them hasn't. The thing lacking with Blackwall is his "I dunno" answer and
his unexplained resistance to the false Calling
- he really should have had a sense of what was happening despite being a lone wolf. Even your Inquisitor goes "welp this was stupid" and tries to leave before he joins. I think Blackwall's intro is the weakest of all the companions.

Also Vivienne's cutscene shows off fabulous Orlesian fashions and Vivienne herself is both elegant AND inclined to freeze nobility that mouth off so you had best not h8.

Lol dude you totally failed with that blackwall thing you put in spoilers lol. There's even a quests about it with Big consecuences.

Corsick

Nope, no shards required. All you need to do is light up the veilfires in a certain order, then you get a loot chest in another room with some goodies.

Good, I did really poorly gathering schematics so I never got to make any "OP" weapons on my 2h warrior playthrough.

Yep its awful, cant even find a way to organise items. might just be me being dumb though.

Also using the stick to navigate the menus is the dumbest thing ive seen for a long time.

The amount of times ive changed characters by accident on the inventory screen. RAGGGE

I HATE IT

I bet they were so proud when they designed it too, "look how visually simple we made a complex RPG!" - but it's such a bitch to navigate, it's not intuitive at all nor does it make comparisons between items that easy. Hell it's hard to even find what you uave equipped

Not me. It's pretty easy on PC using mouse scrolls. It's kinda hard to switch between the characters though.
I guess each input has its own merits.

I HATE IT

Yeah, two orange brackets around a symbol really don't do enough to show you what you've got equipped. And instead of having your equipped items at the top of the list, they're kinda just scattered around this list in a seemingly random manner. It's tough.

And then you go move all the junk to the Valuables tab, but wait, you can't actually sell all your valuables to a vendor because your creature research items are in the Valuables tab as well. Doh.

valkyre

I HATE IT

Exactly... why the fuck cant I go over the items i have equipped? For example accessories, you have 4 of them equipped. You see it on the right of your screen, but you dont have any means to know which ones they are since you only see the symbols. No. You have to scroll through aaaall your accessories and try and look which ones are actually equipped... I mean for fuck sake... the least they could do would be to just have the frigging name of the accessory mentioned to the right of your screen above each symbol... how hard is that to implement or even think about?

I've spent so much time navigating these god awful menus...

Xeteh

It took me six tries or so. It's pretty punishing, but as others have said, you can cheese it. Just make sure you focus all of your time on closing the damn rift, even if everyone else has to die.

But bears in nightmare difficulty are hilariously OP. Much terror and fun to be had running around the northern Hinterlands at a low level, trying not to die.

Speaking of which, for those who have invested a large number of hours into this game on Nightmare, do you think it was worth it? I'm wondering if I should switch to a lower difficulty to speed up the pace a bit..

I've been playing Nightmare and it has been frustrating at points to where I wonder why I'm bothering. I don't feel like Nightmare is super hard but it is made worse by bad AI and the tactical camera is just terrible. I'm ~16h in, definitely not going completionist but I keep having to give a few thoughts to whether or not I actually want to keep up with this.

And then you go move all the junk to the Valuables tab, but wait, you can't actually sell all your valuables to a vendor because your creature research items are in the Valuables tab as well. Doh.

I seriously don't get why there isn't a research tab in the inventory. It took me half of my first playthrough to realize that they were stored in the Valuables tab... I just thought they didn't drop often because I'd never have any when I dropped by the table.

Hastati

I've been playing Nightmare and it has been frustrating at points to where I wonder why I'm bothering. I don't feel like Nightmare is super hard but it is made worse by bad AI and the tactical camera is just terrible. I'm ~16h in, definitely not going completionist but I keep having to give a few thoughts to whether or not I actually want to keep up with this.

Thanks. I think one of my frustrations is with the tactical camera as well, it doesn't seem to control very well, and I find it hard to organize my team in the middle of combat. Maybe it doesn't matter as much on lower difficulty levels, but I feel sometimes that they could have gone more actiony or more tactical/turn based in the gameplay department, it's sort of an awkward balance.

valkyre

Can anyone recommend a decent enough tactics setup for this group:

1 tank
1 mage barrier
1 2h warrior
1 archer rogue (my char)

Also should my Rogue Archer go Tempest specialization or Assassin?

Can anyone recommend a decent enough tactics setup for this group:

1 tank
1 mage barrier
1 2h warrior
1 archer rogue (my char)

Also should my Rogue Archer go Tempest specialization or Assassin?

Rogue Archer Assassin! You definitely control the battlefield this way - you start off by going into stealth > then full draw for an instant crit. I do as much as 8k damage this way. Plus, Hidden Blades from afar is just badass.

Here's a build for ya:

As for a party setup, it depends what I'm doing.

Dragon hunting:

2 warriors (Iron Bull - Reaver with 2H, specializing in Guard from the Vanguard tree as well as the 2H tree, Cassandra - Templar with 1H, generating Guard from the Vanguard tree)
1 mage (Vivienne - Knight Enchanter, Disruption Field and cooldown passives from the Inferno tree)

I go with a 2 mage, 1 warrior/tank setup for everything else.

Thanks. I think one of my frustrations is with the tactical camera as well, it doesn't seem to control very well, and I find it hard to organize my team in the middle of combat. Maybe it doesn't matter as much on lower difficulty levels, but I feel sometimes that they could have gone more actiony or more tactical/turn based in the gameplay department, it's sort of an awkward balance.

Yep, for the next one they really need to figure out what they want to do. I wouldn't mind Dragon Age: Dogma's Sequel, or I wouldn't mind Dragon Age: Turn Based Divinity either, but the poor mix of the two is kinda meh. It's not really tactical enough but is also not really action-y enough.

Though I guess eventually it very much plays like an action game. I decided I didn't want to do Hissing Wastes or finish Emprise so I went to do the story quests, I was level appropriate(I mean, enemies were my level, I was in the very end of the level range) and I didn't pause once the entirety of those last few quests, I just mowed down everything by holding left click and sometimes using abilities while my team kinda did whatever they felt like, which was mostly irrelevant. Dorian ended up using a few potions cause he has a knack for aggroing stuff somehow but other than that I didn't heal once either(though obviously ran barriers but still). Once you get tier3 schematics weapons and materials, the game difficulty ends, even on nightmare, at least for melee rogue(and for most other classes, just don't know about 2H wars and non KE mages), you just do way too much damage that stuff evaporates regardless.

They could also cut down on filler content a bit and polish the rest a bit more, I think for example Western Approach, Oasis and Hissing Wastes should have been merged into one zone(with some aspects into others, like puzzle temples splits in other zones and stuff). Hissing Wastes is just terrible, I don't mind the idea of a very large zone but making it this large then making it night time only, which kills all visibility making it a pain to find anything was a terrible idea. Hinterlands should probably have been split into two also, to make it less daunting early on, people feel the need to complete the zone but it's so big. Starting with a smaller zone would have been better, then on to val royeaux, then back to the adventure and stuff. The narrative kinda pushes you to do that, but it's not that obvious either.

Still, much better than DA2 so can't complain too much. The UI though was dreadful, there's so many things wrong with it I wouldn't know where to begin. The game took a lot from PC MMOs, it should have copied MMO UIs more, especially better UIs like WoW's, both in option and design. The inventory is a mess, the minimap is annoying to use if you usually use fixed north, there's no tooltips unless you go in the right tab, you can't put skills from the skill tree onto your bar even though it looks like you can, tactics are way too bare and should have been at the very least slightly more advanced(though full customization would obviously be better), the mouse should have been bindable(duh) and in general mouse support should have been more reliable(like tooltips not popping unless you move the mouse off then back over something when selling or in dialogues), you should be able to select more than one character to give unified orders without having to do it in 2 or 3 actions, you should be able to queue skill usage if you don't have the ressources or the cooldown isn't up, especially for companions, obviously the tactical camera is awful, why it's tied to ground movement is a mystery, and so is the fact it has limited range, as well as the obvious zoom issue. I'm probably forgetting some, but overall that's definitely the weakest point of the entire game, and that's not even too much because of console stuff, a lot of that stuff is annoying even on consoles/with a gamepad.

But even with all these complaints, plus the bugs and glitches and what not, I still think it was a great game, it did a lot of stuff right. I liked the characters for the most part(ugh cole, even though he has the most interesting banters), I liked the story, I liked the world and how it felt a lot bigger than the previous games(including origins), I kinda liked the combat and classes even with the fairly poor balance which is fairly standard in rpg though, I liked the music and the voice acting.

Hastati

Yeah, the first area is really overwhelming, at least artistically it can be quite beautiful.

I REALLLLLLLY don't want MMO UI, or MMO gameplay. I think it needs to die in all forms. Right now, the gameplay feels like a less accessible form of GW or FFXIV in a sense, but my personal preference is either the very literal-input skill-based combat style of dark souls, or on the other end something closer to KOTOR or even FE.

I keep waiting for an MMO that goes farther in either direction, but everyone keeps trying to compromise.

But I think Bioware did a great job with their characterizations and the script the majority of the time, they are definitely back on the right path. I was really skeptical before this game, but now I'm looking forward to their next offerings, so I think they succeeded on that front.

Yup.
Insane Run as a Qunari Mage.

This is what I remember about Dragon Age.

Going K.E. first chance I get.

I solo'd the High Ravager with Vivienne last time. Every single hit is barrier and regen. Holy crap.

valkyre

Rogue Archer Assassin! You definitely control the battlefield this way - you start off by going into stealth > then full draw for an instant crit. I do as much as 8k damage this way. Plus, Hidden Blades from afar is just badass.

Here's a build for ya:

As for a party setup, it depends what I'm doing.

Dragon hunting:

2 warriors (Iron Bull - Reaver with 2H, specializing in Guard from the Vanguard tree as well as the 2H tree, Cassandra - Templar with 1H, generating Guard from the Vanguard tree)
1 mage (Vivienne - Knight Enchanter, Disruption Field and cooldown passives from the Inferno tree)

I go with a 2 mage, 1 warrior/tank setup for everything else.

Ηuge huge thanks for this awesome post! Much appreciated, will go about and make an Assassin myself :)

How do you setup the automatic tactics for this group? You have any specific tweaking there to avoid tactical camera?

Ηuge huge thanks for this awesome post! Much appreciated, will go about and make an Assassin myself :)

How do you setup the automatic tactics for this group? You have any specific tweaking there to avoid tactical camera?

No tweaking at all, no tactical camera. I try to manage everyone manually with the DPAD in real-time whenever I can. It's been working out wonderfully for me, you've just got to have quick eyes and be able to monitor the madness that's going on. Sometimes I lose track!

Kem0sabe

You saw the shift to the current UI and aesthetics back in DA2,

091af393a01e97984cd81c6545a746c8.jpg

inv_hawke.jpg

WM_DragonAgeMultiplayer-InventoryWeapons.jpg

As you can see, its gotten progressively less user friendly for PC users with each game, focusing on using the entire screen with big icons, big fonts, as to be more visible on TV's.

Yeah, the first area is really overwhelming, at least artistically it can be quite beautiful.

I REALLLLLLLY don't want MMO UI, or MMO gameplay. I think it needs to die in all forms. Right now, the gameplay feels like a less accessible form of GW or FFXIV in a sense, but my personal preference is either the very literal-input skill-based combat style of dark souls, or on the other end something closer to KOTOR or even FE.

I keep waiting for an MMO that goes farther in either direction, but everyone keeps trying to compromise.

But I think Bioware did a great job with their characterizations and the script the majority of the time, they are definitely back on the right path. I was really skeptical before this game, but now I'm looking forward to their next offerings, so I think they succeeded on that front.

Well I said mmo UI, not mmo gameplay, and considering it's very much similar already, it should have done it better. I mean stuff like seeing cooldowns better(number display over the skills for example, as an option), minimap having the "North always on top" option and possibly having other set positions like top right or bottom right, buffs/debuffs having durations shown, at the very least in the tooltip, tooltip on the skills in your bars, debuffs shown on the mobs targetting window on top of the screen instead of only when you tactical camera. This kind of stuff, which fits the current UI already, it's just lacking.

Also was a much longer post than I expected when I quoted, went into a rant then kinda like a review, guess that happens when I finish games.

valkyre

No tweaking at all, no tactical camera. I try to manage everyone manually with the DPAD in real-time whenever I can. It's been working out wonderfully for me, you've just got to have quick eyes and be able to monitor the madness that's going on. Sometimes I lose track!

Wow, it looks almost impossible for me to do that lol! Also, I havent really messed around with the other characters (I really like to just role play my character) , so I admit, I am pretty clueless about what abilities a warrior or a mage should be using when playing them. I mean I understand what their role is and what they should be doing on the battlefield, but how they do it and when to use each ability, is something I have left entirely to the A.I. ...

yes I know I shouldnt do that! :)

Hastati

Well I said mmo UI, not mmo gameplay, and considering it's very much similar already, it should have done it better. I mean stuff like seeing cooldowns better(number display over the skills for example, as an option), minimap having the "North always on top" option and possibly having other set positions like top right or bottom right, buffs/debuffs having durations shown, at the very least in the tooltip, tooltip on the skills in your bars, debuffs shown on the mobs targetting window on top of the screen instead of only when you tactical camera. This kind of stuff, which fits the current UI already, it's just lacking.

Also was a much longer post than I expected when I quoted, went into a rant then kinda like a review, guess that happens when I finish games.

All agreed. Well, with a game like this there's a lot to talk about, so a long post makes sense.

Personally, I'm hoping that they go for an even more tactical/turn based approach for the next game. I really think it fits the series, ESPECIALLY this game, where you are supposed to be leading a large institution rather than being just an individual but game-changing player in a larger machine. It would have made perfect sense to be leading, guiding, organizing and developing armies on a much larger and less individualized scale in a game with "inquisition" in the title, but I mean I can understand why they went in the direction they did. I feel like a system similar to Mount and Blade would have worked better for the setting, but that's not really what Bioware wants to develop for their series.

d3vnull

So I just did the Wartable Operation "Source of the darkspawn attacks" for 4 power and had them build a bridge.

When I travel to that location it just puts me near a dungeon where I already completed the quest.

Is this a bug or did I miss something?

I sided with the grey wardens in the "Into the Abyss" mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom