• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT| As the Blight fades, BioWare returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Mounts aren't...good. They just feel, strange I guess. It doesn't really feel like I'm moving across the land faster, and especially when I gallop it looks hilariously bad. Is this just me or is it an actual concern?

jbortz78

14 is good. Also I run with usually one other mage, Solas or Dorian, plus Varric or Cole, and Cassandra or Blackwall.

Setup usually is me, Solas, Cole, Blackwall, or me, Dorian, Varric, and Cassandra.

Also fuck save cheating, I play legit. Also gain 3 guard on hit is stupidly broken awesomesauce, put it on anyone not a warrior and they can't be beat!

Second playthrough deffo gonna be a Elf Warrior Templar.

Sorry but how/where do I get this, rings/belts or?

Corpekata

Banned
Fade touched items are just random rare procs off of normal stuff for the most part. Masterworks will show on gear crafting recipes, it'll say like 20 metal, 6 cloth, 6 leather, 1 masterwork. When browsing your recipes at the craft tables it'll be the red slot on top.

samn

Mounts aren't...good. They just feel, strange I guess. It doesn't really feel like I'm moving across the land faster, and especially when I gallop it looks hilariously bad. Is this just me or is it an actual concern?

I rarely use them as they're a pain to get on and off and stop banter.

I rarely use them as they're a pain to get on and off and stop banter.

Same . I briefly tried out the mount when I first acquired it, but haven't used it since. I haven't really found it to be necessary.

As far as GOTY goes, it is for me. I'm 30 or so hours in and I have enjoyed every minute. Killed my first dragon last night too!

It's not just you. Makes me wish the game was easily modable so somebody could make them faster.

Does anybody know if this could be possible with cheat engine? Would also be nice if the gather animation could be sped up or disabled entirely.

Yeah I'm only really using it just to get around the bit of empty areas of hinterlands but other than that I walk. Just seems so slow.

They are definitely not slow, but there is enough crap to collect that if you can't walk by an elfroot and not pick it up, you're better of going on foot.

Fuck, you need a lot of elfroot in this game. 80 hours played, level 20 character, and I still drop whatever I'm doing to pickup elfroot.

Dragon fights remind me of Monster Hunter quite a bit. The way the dragons move (stun on screech, flying around and dropping fire/thunder/ice breath on you, side swipe and tail whip). They even flinch when damaged enough on the head, or fall down for a bit when damaged on the legs. Huge MH enthusiast here :)

I wonder if BioWare took some cues from the MH series? Dragon fights are my favorites in this game.

PS4 version here, load time are pretty damn long when switching to a different location.

I need some advice, I'm very early in the game and decided to chose the " seeing red" quest and arrived in the hinterlands. I'm only a level 3 warrior and I'm already having difficulties in this map.

I headed off into the outskirts and there are baddies there that don't seem to take any damage from me or my party. They are level 8 lyrium smuggler guys, one's an archer the other guy is a lurker, there's about 4 of them.

Edit: just tried playing it tactical mode and I'm fairing much better, managed to take out two of them. Is this the best method to play the game in?

Woah, just defeated them, what a difference tactical mode makes and it's more fun than the hack and slash combat.

Darklord

Banned
Oh fuck you game! Why do you give me choices this hard to make?!

Can someone tell me(Here lies the Abyss quest spoiler)
Does Hawke or Alistair definitely die fighting the huge spider thing or can one of them live? It says "likely" making me think one is the right choice and one is the death choice

Care to share your build? :) What are the Potions / Elixiers for? Haven't found any yet...

Jar of Bees on the top right (acquired when Sera joins your party)

Electrical Resistance Tonic on the top left

Masterwork Tier 3 Bow with a 10% chance to proc Hidden Blades upon hit

Picked up passives from the Subterfuge on the left side, as well as a fully upgraded Stealth

Almost everything from the Bow tree except Explosive Shot and Pin Cushion

Everything from the Assassin tree except for the Knockout Powder and special ability

I start it off with a fully upgraded Mark of the Rift, then Mark of Death with Stealth going into Hidden Blades > trigger Mark of Death again for insane damage. You see I took off 1/4 of its health in the first 30 seconds. It's a little tough to pull off Mark of Death + Stealth + Full Draw or Hidden Blades since it moves around a lot.

Spoilers after this!

Can someone tell me(Fade quest spoiler)
Does Hawke or Alistair definitely die fighting the huge spider thing or can one of them live? It says "likely" making me think one is the right choice and one is the death choice

Whoever stays, dies

Apologies for the noob question, In the war room I selected a mission to do which but it's not showing up on my map and quests.

It's called gather coin and it says in progress. Is there a reason it's not showing up, possibly because I can't travel to the location in the world map?

Can someone tell me(Here lies the Abyss quest spoiler)

It took me a long time to decide that. I choose to
sacrifice the Warden. If Alistair had been with me (he's busy being king in my game) it would be been an easy choice to save him instead of Hawke. I'll have to change up the settings in the Keep so I can fight along his side again in my next playthrough.

Also, for that same mission (Here Lies the Abyss) does
Cole have anything interesting to say in the Fade? Solas was very informative during it. If I had kept a save from before starting the mission, I'd be tempted to do it over and over to hear everyone's reactions.

Not related to the above: Seeing a "Cole greatly disapproves" makes me feel so awful. :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sera is a pain in the arse.

Moff

Yup but I love the banter between her and Solas, priceless!

I think she has great banter with anyone because she is so confronting in a very childish way, and since every character has his/her secrets and drawbacks it's always hilarious.

Darklord

Banned
It took me a long time to decide that. I choose to
sacrifice the Warden. If Alistair had been with me (he's busy being king in my game) it would be been an easy choice to save him instead of Hawke. I'll have to change up the settings in the Keep so I can fight along his side again in my next playthrough.

Also, for that same mission (Here Lies the Abyss) does
Cole have anything interesting to say in the Fade? Solas was very informative during it. If I had kept a save from before starting the mission, I'd be tempted to do it over and over to hear everyone's reactions.

Not related to the above: Seeing a "Cole greatly disapproves" makes me feel so awful. :(

I feel like letting
Hawke die
totally screws me over. Varric was pissed and I feel like I can't
keep the wardens around so that means I lose Alistair as well, right?

Rixxan

This game could have really used day/night cycles. Something slow like Planetside 2 would have been epic.

This company is so day/night cycle averse I will never understand why. It was one of my biggest gripes with SWTOR.

It's 2014 how have they not realized that all it does is freshen up the game, makes it feel more alive and more authentic.

And done

The last mission was
lame as hell. I thought his dragon would put up a fight but it was easier than the Hinterlands one. Lolypheus himself... It's not really about the difficulty. It really was underwhelming. Then again he sucked as an antagonist. His ominousness exponentially declines from the moment you meet him.

vareon

Sera: Do all Grey Warden have beard?

Blackwall: No, just me. I stole all the beards. And all the power that's within.

This guy is a riot, lol.

I feel like letting
Hawke die
totally screws me over. Varric was pissed and I feel like I can't
keep the wardens around so that means I lose Alistair as well, right?

Wasn't an issue for me as I had
Stroud running around instead, so it wasn't much of a choice. Hawke, or Mustache. Had to be Hawke.

About 60 hours in, and I still have a TON of things to do. Never thought I would say this, but the game feels TOO big right now. Or at least a bit too unfocused. I haven't even been to all the different areas yet, I want to continue with the story as I am pretty sure I am nearing the end stuff, but I don't want to leave a lot undone either.

I do have to say, I have kinda come to hate Dragon Age Keep, or at least the inability to verify choices in game. After about 50 hours I realized that it had reset my choice on the Witch Hunt DLC. This made me VERY annoyed.

Any difference on the Hero of Ferelden going though the Eluvian with Morrigan? That's what I did back in the day, DA Keep had me not going though, even though the romance happened. Kinda feel like a dick for not helping raise the God Baby.

Lakitu

st5fu
So is my Cassandra 'Unfinished Business' quest bugged?

I have to take out the last target at Emprise du Lion and I go to the area but the target is nowhere to be found. I've restarted and started over, and nothing. Only wolves appear.

Asked this on the previous page, does everyone play in tactical mode when battling?

Quick question for anyone who has finished the game.

If I am most the way through here lies the abyss, and level 12.5. Can I power through just doing main story quests at this point and how long would it take?

Trying to decide whether I power through and cone back later after patches for a second play through where I can take my time or just put it to one side now.

Wasn't an issue for me as I had
Stroud running around instead, so it wasn't much of a choice. Hawke, or Mustache. Had to be Hawke.

About 60 hours in, and I still have a TON of things to do. Never thought I would say this, but the game feels TOO big right now. Or at least a bit too unfocused. I haven't even been to all the different areas yet, I want to continue with the story as I am pretty sure I am nearing the end stuff, but I don't want to leave a lot undone either.

I do have to say, I have kinda come to hate Dragon Age Keep, or at least the inability to verify choices in game. After about 50 hours I realized that it had reset my choice on the Witch Hunt DLC. This made me VERY annoyed.

Any difference on the Hero of Ferelden going though the Eluvian with Morrigan? That's what I did back in the day, DA Keep had me not going though, even though the romance happened. Kinda feel like a dick for not helping raise the God Baby.

Morrigan recall about how they raised the child together with such fondness and sweetness that I couldn't believe she's the same character.

Corpekata

Banned

If I am most the way through here lies the abyss, and level 12.5. Can I power through just doing main story quests at this point and how long would it take?

Trying to decide whether I power through and cone back later after patches for a second play through where I can take my time or just put it to one side now.

Not likely to the end. Probably through the next story mission though.

The last two mission recommend you being between levels 16 and 19. I noticed that my XP gain really started to jump around where you're at though. Once you hit 16 you can blaze towards the ending. Clear out Crestwood + Fallow Mire (pretty short areas) and kill a few dragons and you'll be there in no time.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Yeah but the game is really awful at telling you which quests are important vs which ones aren't. Be that for party member quests or main story. And gating story progression behind Power is just awful. Need to go do more boring crap before you can do anything fun! WTF is that horseshit? I'm the Inquisitor. I wanna kill the big bad. But I can't until I do my chores and earn enough allowance.

I dunno about this... it's pretty clear which are the main story quests I thought (Path of the Inquisitor) vs the rest.

I like how I'm not ushered into doing any specific quests in any special order, and if you want to blast through to the power requirements for the main story missions, it wouldn't take you too long, but I guess you would be hella underleveled and would die a grim demon-delivered death no doubt.. lol :p

Asked this on the previous page, does everyone play in tactical mode when battling?

I used tactical every now and then for specific stuff. I mostly do 2 things with tactical. I go into tactical right before engaging a tough group of monsters(like advantageous positionning, archers on roofs and stuff like that) and send my tank first on the strongest melee mob so he/she gets initial aggro on everything as well as make sure the strong mob sticks to them instead of beelining for my mages, then I turn off tactical and wait for them to run in. The second thing is I'll "pause" the fight if I see Dorian getting destroyed(it's always Dorian, I run 2 mages, always him who gets aggro on stuff) and get him to cast a barrier on himself since I have his barrier turned off for that, or if he has it up, fade step away, or use a potion, so really just making sure he doesn't die, and also checking what's attacking him as I'll generally go kill it next with my rogue or challenge it with my warrior.

That's about the only moments I've used tactical view, besides on dragons every now and then to reposition the dumb AI. But most of the game was played very much like an action game for me and controlling only my own char, letting the AI do its own thing. That's on nightmare too. I find that with the right specs and the right setup, there isn't really a need to micromanage that much. Though I played with 2mages a lot and that's a pretty big deal, not so much for 2 barriers(I have 2 but I generally have one off and only keep it for manual usage), but for having one that always has mana for barrier and all the barrier improving skill and another that always has mana for crowd control spells so stuff is always being CCed.

Marcel

Dragon fights remind me of Monster Hunter quite a bit. The way the dragons move (stun on screech, flying around and dropping fire/thunder/ice breath on you, side swipe and tail whip). They even flinch when damaged enough on the head, or fall down for a bit when damaged on the legs. Huge MH enthusiast here :)

I wonder if BioWare took some cues from the MH series? Dragon fights are my favorites in this game.

They most likely took some cues from Dragon's Dogma, which took cues from MH, as you mentioned.

The quest where you become a knight enchanter is completely bugged.

1. I can't find the book. It's not in Vivienne's room and the book merchant doesn't have it.
2. I can't collect the Wisp Essences because the enemies who drop them won't appear.

Almost 60hrs played and still so much left to do.

the only zone I have fully cleared is Hinterlands (apart from dragon) and I think I have found my perfect party:

Me - Rift Mage
Cass / Blackwall - sword and board
Sera - archer

Definitely GOTY for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom