• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT| As the Blight fades, BioWare returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

KorrZ

Crestwood is just amazing.

(Zone spoiler?)
When I came out of those caves and it switched from dark and gloomy to gorgeous and sunny...damn...spent about 20 minutes just snapping screenshots :lol - and I'm loving how everything in the zone seems so much more of an interconnected story than the Hinterlands

I do enjoy using spirit mark for some fights, I suppose my issue would be fixed if I had better control over his use of it. As I'm away from my console at the moment I cannot check this but am I able to set his tactics to avoid using it on the last enemy on the field? If that were the case it would almost solve my issues with it.

I'm actually fairly surprised people are using normal skills more than the specializations on him- I would have thought everyone was ditching those skills in favour of necromancy. I think I'll give this a shot though, it's worth it to see if it improves my teams overall survivability. As it stands it doesn't seem like they can handle the simplest of battles if I;m not constantly micromanaging them..

Well I used Walking Bomb and it's an amazing spell. I also used all the passives which are pretty good. I didn't like Horror though(bad damage, tends to cast it on whatever I'm attacking with my rogue which then forces the mob to run away from me so I can't damage it) and Spirit was kinda meh considering the cost and damage versus just getting more normal stuff. Fire is excelent, Fire Mine does very good damage, Firewall is an insane control tool and does good damage and Immolate is just super nice. So that works out nicely. You don't need every spell in your specialization, some of them are just not very good.

Other examples would be on Solas I didn't use Veilstrike(doesn't do any damage, applies weakness but everything else also does, costs mana so no point), on Cassandra I didn't use the aoe stun at the end of the tree(costs way too much stamina, effect is largely unneeded), on Blackwall I didn't use Line in the Sand(super situational usage, AI is terrible at it, waste of stamina) and so on. Specializations have generally some good skills and some excelent passives, but there's nothing that forces you to take and use everything in them, and even if you do you have so many points you're gonna need other stuff, plus there's only 3 abilities in the spec trees anyway.

Now the spirit stuff sounds very "necro-ish" and all, but I played with it for 5minutes and just couldn't bother, it's just annoying. If you cancel it instantly via AI, it's just another dot that's not really that strong, if you don't it adds crappy spirits that also bug out stuff and what not and you have to constantly cancel them yourself, ugh.

So I'm debating whether to continue my current playthrough as an archer rogue on normal difficulty or start another as a mage on hard difficulty.

Ugh, should I just rush the story on my current playthrough then start anew on a potential mage? Currently lvl 17, am I okay to rush through the rest of the main plot?
Already finished Adamant Fortress and the Grey Warden plot with the option of saving the Empress from Assassination still available

Korten

Banned
So I'm debating whether to continue my current playthrough as an archer rogue on normal difficulty or start another as a mage on hard difficulty.

Ugh, should I just rush the story on my current playthrough then start anew on a potential mage? Currently lvl 17, am I okay to rush through the rest of the main plot?
Already finished Adamant Fortress and the Grey Warden plot with the option of saving the Empress from Assassination still available

If you include the Empress mission, I think there's actually only 3 missions left.

Zafir

So just a quick sound off, how many people here are beyond doubt that this will be their GOTY?

I am

Yeah, definitely. According to Origin I've got like 130 hours in the game (I'd subtract a bit off that to get my real count since I've war table idled quite a bit while doing other stuff, 10-15 hours probably). Definitely not put that much time in any other game. Xillia which I played in January I got to 100 hours I think, but that came out last year so doesn't really count.

That's not to say it's without faults. I'd still have preferred more main story or more side quests with story over the MMO side quests we got.

Ralemont

not me
A question: in order to successfully romance someone, you're not required to hit all the love notes on conversation wheel, right? Because flirting with someone that you just barely know at the beginning seems really off.

Correct, sometimes you'll even get dissaproval if it's an inappropriate time, lol.

So just a quick sound off, how many people here are beyond doubt that this will be their GOTY?

I am

No doubt. I only play a few games on release though, the others I wait for <$20 which usually means the year after.

So in other words don't play the game at all until 6 months now when they finally fix the broken mess they released?

I mean this happens every BioWare game and I still buy Day One so it just depends on the person. Dragon Age 2 would freeze five times a night on me at release, Merrill's questline was broken (I got the last scene for her last dialogue scene as soon as Act 2 started) plus a host of other bugs. Mass Effect 2 had a bug that would corrupt all your saves in a career...lost me 35 hours of a playthrough. I remember having issues with Origins as well. ME3 was surprisingly bug-free. But anyway the point is if buggy games bother you I'd wait.

For what it's worth I've had 1 or 2 inconsequential bugs in 100 hours of playtime on PS4 (besides maybe banter bug, dunno if it's placebo or not in my case).

LuuKyK

After weeks that felt like years, I FINALLY got the game! So happy.

Btw, Jesus, people were not kidding when they said this game is massive. The first area and I am already drowning in side-quests.

Had to force myself to stop it. Can't wait to continue playing.

Godcannon

45 hours logged in singleplayer,About 10 in multi, maybe about halfway through... Absolutely amazing, GOTY by far for me, and one of the better RPGS of all time. Just wanted to drop some love for Inquisition. Maker be with you Dawg.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I had some similar problems with rogue DPS + twin fangs.

Hidden Blades would hit like a truck from stealth (auto crit due to assassin talents), but twin fangs seemed to be doing a helluva lot less damage on certain enemies with similar levels and armor values, when it would chunk others for 75% or more. Death Blade would only hit for a pittance, also.

spekkeh

Banned
I love how Bull doesn't call Vivienne "Viv" any more, instead he calls her "ma'am" now ever since Vivienne scolded him about that. Bull is a gentleman, lol.

Also, Bull teased Cassandra about doing something in between the sheets with my Inquisitor - Cassandra was like, "how do you know we don't do that already?"

Bull: *laughs*

I love his laugh.
Bull is awesome. Especially his banter with Cassandra. I don't really know how that works because I thought Qunari were supposed to be really uptight, but still.

A list of great A.I. "tricks" from Reddit:

• setting dodge moves to preferred makes them really effective
  • positions archers with hold position and relevant perks to increase damage
  • give sera flask of lightning to make her into a machine gun
  • make companion "follow" themselves for better self management
  • give Vivienne access to only spirit blade, barrier, fade cloak, and fade step to make her a Mage tank
  • set war cry to preferred for better threat management
  • disable focus abilities so that npc's don't use them at bad times
  • don't forget you can manually un-spirit mark enemies. Useful for rifts and etc

• give Vivienne access to only spirit blade, barrier, fade cloak, and fade step to make her a Mage tank
  • don't forget you can manually un-spirit mark enemies. Useful for rifts and etc

All excellent advice.

I am

Mine 100%. Maybe the best RPG I've played in years! This game is checking off all my boxes.

I'm at 60 hours on hard and I just finished
the Fade with Hawke
. I see myself easily clocking 100+ hours!

Do NPCs even use focus abilities? I set them to active and they never did it own their own.

good stuff

KingV

So my inquisitor's voice changed to the other preset in the middle of the game, right after I got to Skyhold, is that a common bug in this game? Can it be fixed?

Moaradin

So my inquisitor's voice changed to the other preset in the middle of the game, right after I got to Skyhold, is that a common bug in this game? Can it be fixed?

That happens when you customize a certain character. It won't happen if you choose the default.

No fix at the moment. Patch is coming soon apparently.

I am

Nah.

Not gonna lie, I seriously don't give a shit about this story and its antagonist. I can't wrap my head around why people
are following Corypheus. The rationale seems to be,"This world sucks, we need a new gawd. Who's clearly evil... Whatever."
There goes the main plot there. The sidequests range from ok to bad. I liked Crestwood but even that had a hollowness to it.

Game has a few good elements and a lot of junk.

KingV

That happens when you customize a certain character. It won't happen if you choose the default.

No fix at the moment. Patch is coming soon apparently.

Ah. The best part is when I customized the character... I hit "a" instead of "x" and ended up just taking the default anyway...

I did the Sera thing on the war table on PS4 and then went to speak to her.. The game crashed with an error code. I haven't tried it again yet, but is this a known thing?

Einbroch

Banned

I am

Nothing comes close.

It has a buttload of issues. You can't deny it. But at the end of the day, it's the most engrossing and fun game I've played all year.

Solo'd the Gamoran Stormrider dragon on Nightmare with my Assassin Archer. This fight is actually annoying with teammates, so I did better solo than I did with a team =p

Carbonox

The more and more I get through the main story, the more I honestly think this is my GOTY.

Dragon Age Inquisition
Final Fantasy XIV
Metro Redux (This can count right?)

That's what I'm settling on I think.

valkyre

I am having a hard time understanding the whole behavior settings.... What does "defend" do exactly? And will the tank defend a specific character you assign? I dont get how the whole behavior thing works...

I have my Mage following me (Rogue archer) in order to stay out of harms way, and yet I see him charging like a retard in the heat of the battle next to my tanks....

Please provide a viable behavior setting for a group of 2 warriors 1 mage and a rogue. Who should follow what and who should defend what. It kind of drives me crazy to see a mage go right next to the damn tank...!! Also should i disable some of the tanks abilities in order for it to tank better?

spekkeh

Banned
Nothing comes close.

It has a buttload of issues. You can't deny it. But at the end of the day, it's the most engrossing and fun game I've played all year.
Hmm, Bayonetta 2, MK8 and TLoUR definitely and Mordor maybe, for me all rate higher.

I'm honestly getting Skyward Sword vibes from DA:I. I.e. it would have been perfect if it was half the size and less grindy and padded, but now I'm too bored for most of the time to really call it great.

Viv uses the snail ability all the time. Lifesaver.

That's not a focus. The KE focus is rez on everyone+heal over time for a duration. The timeslowing bubble is just a normal(yet extremely powerful) skill.

I've never set the companion focus to on. Actually, thinking about it, I've only used my companions focus once, on my very first dragon fight where I dumped a bunch of focus abilities on it then ended up having to solo it anyway on my tank warrior cause the rest got massacred by the lightning aoe thing. After that I never really felt the need to ever use focus again, neither on my main or my companions. I used thousand cuts to see if it would one shot dragons(it does) but I never used it for normal play.

Iron Bull flirting convo spoiler:

Iron Bull: Hey. Hey, Kadan, listen. I always want to say this, and I never can when we're off saving the world. ... You've got fantastic tits.
Inquisitor: Awwwwwww.

made me laugh

You can probably solo the game if you abuse stealth and make good use of various mechanics like crafting high level stuff early. Warrior tank can solo it too for sure. Mage I don't know, getting to KE specialization could be annoying, maybe by abusing CC and rushing through the story to get to skyhold asap. That's on nightmare though, on hard it'd be probably easy.

Nah.

Not gonna lie, I seriously don't give a shit about this story and its antagonist. I can't wrap my head around why people
are following Corypheus. The rationale seems to be,"This world sucks, we need a new gawd. Who's clearly evil... Whatever."
There goes the main plot there. The sidequests range from ok to bad. I liked Crestwood but even that had a hollowness to it.

Game has a few good elements and a lot of junk.

Sadly this is my current thoughts as well. I really was hoping to love it like the mass effect games but apart from crestwood I haven't been having to much fun. It all just feels unfocused to the point I don't really feel I'm doing much.

After 28 hours I kinda feel like I should be progressed way more in the story rather than doing pretty dull side stuff to lvl up so I can do the next story bit.

If they had designed it so I could do the main story in 20-30 hours but still had all the side stuff in there so I could come back and do it on a second play through I think I would be a lot more drawn in. In its current state it feels more like an mmo grind than anything else. The dialogue freezing bug is ruining conversing as well.

Maybe if it was 3 years ago where I didn't have a kid and way more free time I would feel different. Right now I'm just left confused over whether I even want to continue playing it or not. I don't think it's a bad game, just not that great. If I didn't have other stuff I want to play maybe I would be more happy to slowly slog through it.

I am

I'd love to say yeah

But the controls are doing my head in, and the stability poor.

I can't get a regular session going and gone back to playing other games in the vain hope it might be addressed.

Might even have to buy a ruddy pad

Made for PC Gamers by PC Gamers... yeah ok

BouncyFrag

So I just got to
Skyhold after the big throwdown in Haven.
b0e.gif

The media blackout that I did for DAI was well worth it and makes moments like this even more satisfying.

sobaka770

Banned

I am

It will be in my top three for sure. It will share its place with AC:U and D3:RoS. I don't want say GOTY for any of those because I don't like comparing games from different genres, but RPGOTY - definitely.

I'd say no to my goty. It's a good game, but 2014 was a strong year. Assuming we count Bravely Default as 2013 since it released in japan in december, I'd still rate Hearthstone and Divinity: Original Sin higher.

There was also Transistor, Valiant Hearts(haven't played that yet though so just going from what I heard), Legend of Grimrock 2, Might and Magic X, Dark Souls 2, Tales of Xillia 2, Wasteland 2 etc... To be honest, I don't really care which games get GOTY, because it was a good year regardless, I especially like the come back of old school stuff and am looking forward to Tide of Numenera and Pillars of Eternity for the return of the Infinity engine RPGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom