• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ launches February 1 in Japan, adds Nappa and Captain Ginyu

Exr

Glad its Nappa and not some shit new character from the movies or GT or some garbage like that. Hopefully they let you play as Mr PoPo

Nokterian

Nappa and Captain Ginyu, sweet lord this game..like others said gimme ginyu force then i'm totally happy!

giphy.gif

Crocodile

I can't say Nappa or Ginyu are characters that excite me in terms of who they actually are but there does see to be a chance they have interesting movesets. I'll need to see gameplay before I have a full opinion I feel.

Glad its Nappa and not some shit new character from the movies or GT or some garbage like that. Hopefully they let you play as Mr PoPo

Super/GT characters are bad but wants playable Mr. PoPo?

image.php

Try harder LOL

Strakt

Is FighterZ gonna have any sort of progression system / unlocks or a ranked system? Also will it have crossplay between PC and console?

Zubz

Banned
Nappa may not be the large, tanky, bald DBZ character we wanted after the Jiren episodes, but he's the large, tanky, bald DBZ character we need. I'm going to have fun with this large murderman.

Only if he voices Nappa by the original script, and not the stupid meme character that he is in DBZ Abridged.

This applies to all of Team Four Star being in this game. They're good voice actors--keep the memes out.

I genuinely want this. I got bashed for proposing it in other threads, but I'd love for an MvC3 style "dub" option for individual characters. Maybe they can add TFS as a bonus one between the inevitable Funi, Toei, & LatAm dubs? We know Funi's down, TFS is an official dubbing studio now, Bang Zoom probably wants in somewhere, & ArcSys loves doing voice packs, but I doubt Toei would let that happen, & their word silences the others'.

For some characters, I think of the TFS voice for them first, & they are definitely talented actors in their own right. This is doubly so for Nappa, whose TFS voice is more memorable due to his more prominent role, & Ginyu, whose dub voice sucks for the character (Yet resembles TFS' Nappa).

Just curious since the character is only just getting introduced into the dub, but why does Hit have such a big fan base? Visually he's awful. Literally looks like a big purple penis.

Daingurse

Just curious since the character is only just getting introduced into the dub, but why does Hit have such a big fan base? Visually he's awful. Literally looks like a big purple penis.

Once you see him fight it should become pretty apparent. Dude has a really unique power set.

Zalman

His personality and fighting style. Just one of the coolest dudes in all of Dragon Ball.

This game better launches same day as Japan here or before Japan's launch date.

No way it'll be before, they've already said "February 2018" in trailers and teasers.

If I had to pull something out of my ass, I'd say Feb 6th or 13th for US (assuming that's where you're from). But maybe we'll get lucky like we did with Rev2, which Japan only got a day earlier than other regions.

The release dates for Xrd Sign, Rev1, and Rev2, for reference:

It's worth noting that Sign is the only one out of the above with an English dub. Since DBFZ is going to have one, it might unfortunately be in line with that...

ZangBa

Damn, my boy Nappa made it in? Now that's what I'm talking about. Roster is dope so far. Take notes Capcom, you assholes. I'll accept some Super DLC, Hit is pretty cool so it's worth it. Keep GT flushed down the toiler.

No way it'll be before, they've already said "February 2018" in trailers and teasers.

If I had to pull something out of my ass, I'd say Feb 6th or 13th for US (assuming that's where you're from). But maybe we'll get lucky like we did with Rev2, which Japan only got a day earlier than other regions.

It's worth noting that Sign is the only one out of the above with an English dub. Since DBFZ is going to have one, it might unfortunately be in line with that...

You might be right with your Feb 6th guess, I hope Bamco USA announces release dates soon now that the Japan already confirmed theirs.

SaikyoBro

What a sick roster so far, there are so many characters I want to try.

What are Hercule/Videl’s chances looking like (I don’t really see anybody mention either of them :’[ )? Those two and Gotenks are really the only characters I’m still hoping for.

TDLink

What are Hercule/Videl’s chances looking like (I don’t really see anybody mention either of them :’[ )? Those two and Gotenks are really the only characters I’m still hoping for.

Gotenks 100% will be in.

I'd say Videl has a higher chance than Hercule (she actually fights, and is another woman). But Hercule would probably have a more interesting/fun moveset.

Alboreo

Why would a YouTube parody group be dubbing the game over the official Funimation voices?

Some of the TFS members provided voices in the dub of Xenoverse 2. They're really pretty good at what they do, even if they are parodies. I legit hear TFS' Vegeta in my head when I think of his voice in the English version.

DrDogg

I get that some people aren't big fans of Nappa (or Ginyu), but we have at least 6-10 more character reveals, plus DLC. You'll get your Gotenks, Ultimate Gohan and Kid Buu, but they have to get the "less hype" characters out of the way first. You're not going to get a Nappa reveal in January, but Beerus, Goku Black, Ultimate Gohan or Gotenks would provide huge marketing buzz leading into the release.

When it comes to the Body Swap, ideally you're only going to use it when Ginyu has low health and the opponent doesn't. So yes, it's probably a good idea to learn how to play as Ginyu, but more often than not you won't have much health to work with anyway, so your time with him will be limited.

This game better launches same day as Japan here or before Japan's launch date.

I'm expecting the following Tuesday or the week after. I don't think this will be a Friday release game, but we get the open beta in January so it won't be too bad.

You can't look at ASW releases to get an indication of when DBFZ will hit. This is a Bandai Namco produced game, ASW is only the developer. That's like looking at release date patterns for SF5 and SFxTekken when trying to figure out when we'll get Xenoverse 3. Dimps was just the developer, Bandai Namco determines when the game releases.

Xenoverse would be a better estimation, but it's a mixed bag there, so who knows...

Xenoverse Release Dates:
JP: February 5, 2015
NA: February 24, 2015
EU: February 27, 2015

Xenoverse 2 Release Dates:
JP: November 2, 2016
NA: October 25, 2016
EU: October 28, 2016

Riposte

I'm very happy it's more focused on Z. This game has been a long time coming. z fans need this, don't feel too bad, I'm sure super will have plenty more games too.

I don't get your point. There's been like 50 Dragon Ball Z games, many of which are 2D (and some even made by Arc System Works, like the recent one for the 3DS). There has been 0 Dragon Ball Super games.

LotusHD

Banned
Need that Ginyu trailer ASAP

I don't get your point. There's been like 50 Dragon Ball Z games, many of which are 2D (and some even made by Arc System Works, like the recent one for the 3DS). There has been 0 Dragon Ball Super games.

Nah, they need this yo
Also are Super fans not Z fans now lol

You can't look at ASW releases to get an indication of when DBFZ will hit. This is a Bandai Namco produced game, ASW is only the developer. That's like looking at release date patterns for SF5 and SFxTekken when trying to figure out when we'll get Xenoverse 3. Dimps was just the developer, Bandai Namco determines when the game releases.

Xenoverse would be a better estimation, but it's a mixed bag there, so who knows...

Xenoverse Release Dates:
JP: February 5, 2015
NA: February 24, 2015
EU: February 27, 2015

Xenoverse 2 Release Dates:
JP: November 2, 2016
NA: October 25, 2016
EU: October 28, 2016

Good point, I didn't consider this. My guess is still a week or two after Japan. Either way, my eyes are set on importing this digitally.

Quebaz

Besides Super DBZ in 2006, you have never gotten a traditional DBZ fighting game that had actual gameplay depth since the revival of the franchise with Budokai. People have wanted something like this for a long time now.

Say, what happens when Ginyu changes bodies with Gotenks. (or any fusion character)

(On a more serious note, I wonder if Body swapped Ginyu will use the body swapped character's normal victory pose instead of animating every character for his one. I'm guessing at least the voice will be his.)

Blues1990

I can't wait to see the character interaction between Vegeta and Nappa, given it's been a billion years since these two interacted with one-another.

Ginyu is 100% understandable, but Nappa is??? I don’t dislike him or anything but that’s a weird choice. People scoff at Yamcha but at least he was a major character for a long time. Nappa out here being the mini boss of one arc before he got killed by his own mans.

Neoxon

Why would a YouTube parody group be dubbing the game over the official Funimation voices?
To be fair, Funimation has worked with TeamFourStar on a number of occasions. The include bringing some of the TFS guys on for custom voices in the Xenoverse games, having them cameo in an episode of DBZ Kai, Funimation VAs making cameos in TFS's projects (Ex: Christopher Sabat making cameos in DBZA & Hellsing Ultimate Abridged) & actually hiring TFS VAs for Funimation's actual dubs (with Justin Briner being a prime example, seeing as he's voicing Izuku Midoriya on My Hero Academia). Funimation & TeamFourStar overall have a great relationship with one another, but the problem in this case is Toei. Even if Bamco, ASW, & Funimation are down for a TFS voice pack, Toei would probably shoot it down faster than Yamcha can get Yamcha'd.

Overall, I'm pretty sure Funimation knows that TFS Nappa is more popular than OG Nappa, & I honestly don't think that they have a problem with that (maybe Toei wouldn't take kindly to that, but Funimation would be cool with it).

LotusHD

Banned
Ginyu is 100% understandable, but Nappa is??? I don’t dislike him or anything but that’s a weird choice. People scoff at Yamcha but at least he was a major character for a long time. Nappa out here being the mini boss of one arc before he got killed by his own mans.

I'm chalking it up to his bulky body

I foolishly thought this game would be more focused on Super when it was first announced. Don't know why I got that impression, but I do feel like it's a missed opportunity to make it feel like a fresh start for the new anime.

I think this game is meant to appeal more to old fans and that's probably more what ArcSys has experience with anyways.

There's always Xenoverse for people that want more current stuff

Neoxon

Pretty sure it did, yes.
Ah, I've seen some arguments for LittleKuriboh's Frieza inspiring Ayres', but I'm not sure enough time passed between their performances for it to be nothing more than a coincidence (which wouldn't be impossible since both aimed to be closer to the Japanese performance).

Sans Yamucha and Tenshinhan, the roster has been 1:1 with the one ArcSys put together for Extreme Boutoden. So I've been looking to that game for my character predictions, which is why both Nappa and Ginyu come as no surprise.

I think Gotenks is also a lock as he was in that game as well. Videl and Mr. Satan however aren't likely at all I feel

Nimby

Banned
Nappa and Ginyu are good choices. Fighter diversity is just as important as including fan favorites. Which is also why Hit, Beerus, Gotenks, and Kid Buu are likely future candidates.

Also, hope people aren't jumping the gun on the body swap gimmick. It's probably going to be pretty tough to land and have some other kind of detractors to it.

There is tons of Super stuff in Xenoverse

I don't think Super has nearly enough content to support a game like this, vs them pulling from decades of original series material for references and moves

Top Bottom