• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT6| Put your back into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Master Roshi wished for Saiyan DNA a long time ago. He's been getting Zenkai boosts all this time.
Believe.
I really have to wonder if this is a possible wish and why nobody has done it yet. If the regular DBs can't do it, the Super DBs certainly can

Super Saiyan Tenshinhan would be unstoppable

Did Piccolo and Gohan trained on the same island gohan trained as a child? because that the same dinosaur Gohan bullied to ate its tail

Style

Banned
Goku vs. Vegeta is my favourite fight when it comes to content, it's a raw and brutal fight and both of them get pushed to the edge, having to make use of every trick they know. Genki Dama, Great Ape transformations, Kaio-ken and the desperation towards the end.

Goku vs. Kid Buu is my favourite visually. Just look at these two animation clips; so much going on:

https://sakugabooru.com/data/75b9a864990fadd5e99cbff46fbac0b6.mp4
https://sakugabooru.com/data/17ca50118e6d4c3e3766ab404f474cc7.mp4

I wish they'd make as dynamic a fight again.

Did Piccolo and Gohan trained on the same island gohan trained as a child? because that the same dinosaur Gohan bullied to ate its tail

I think that area has unofficially become Piccolos home.

Slaythe

I really have to wonder if this is a possible wish and why nobody has done it yet. If the regular DBs can't do it, the Super DBs certainly can

Super Saiyan Tenshinhan would be unstoppable

I honestly can't imagine who would want to wish for this ...

Like this is really dumb. If you're gonna wish to be stronger you might as well just literally wish for "make me the strongest person of the universe" instead of having your being altered and your personality influenced by random genes. D:

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I honestly can't imagine who would want to wish for this ...

Like this is really dumb. If you're gonna wish to be stronger you might as well just literally wish for "make me the strongest person of the universe" instead of having your being altered and your personality influenced by random genes. D:
Someone who wants their ceiling raised instead of having strength given to them.

I.E., most of the good guys in the cast.

After reading a couple of pages back. I don't know how people just automatically assume caulifla and fembroccoli are the same. We know nothing yet.

Also one small thing is that fembroly looked a bit timid before her transformation, whereas caulifla just kinda looked pissed and happy while eating. I mean we won't really know until we see the episodes but still.
Cauliflower is in the same family as broccoli. It just makes sense for a character named Caulifla to be U6's version of Broly. Then again, cabbage is also a part of that family, hmm...
I wonder why Cabba can't deal with Caulifla.

I guess she might be a criminal, but he deals with Hit just fine.

She's allergic to Cabbage.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Goku vs Frieza, while having the most iconic moments and best build up.

Is also the worst major fight. It was the least varied, dragged out the longest(Yes, Goku's fights between Buu, Cell, Vegeta where all shorter) and largely played up on the simple greater power level. Any sort of balance dropped out completely once Goku went SSJ.

Goku vs Vegeta is still the best otherwise, Power Beam battles, transformation, KaioKen, tag team, etc.

EmiPrime

Goku vs Frieza, while having the most iconic moments and best build up.

Is also the worst major fight. It was the least varied, dragged out the longest(Yes, Goku's fights between Buu, Cell, Vegeta where all shorter) and largely played up on the simple greater power level. Any sort of balance dropped out completely once Goku went SSJ.

Goku vs Vegeta is still the best otherwise, Power Beam battles, transformation, KaioKen, tag team, etc.

The tension in the manga throughout the Frieza arc was almost unbearable for me with how dangerous Frieza was and how fragile Krillin and Gohan were. Goku dominating Frieza after he went SSJ was a necessary catharsis, easily one of the best fights.

Slaythe

The tension in the manga throughout the Frieza arc was almost unbearable for me with how dangerous Frieza was and how fragile Krillin and Gohan were. Goku dominating Frieza after he went SSJ was a necessary catharsis, easily one of the best fights.

The manga was good but the anime dragged it so hard it ended up being painful.

The perception to the fight mostly depends if you're an anime only guy or if you read the manga I feel.

VariantX

Who needs Super Saiyan when you can learn advanced ki control from Whis.

It's a universal buff that anyone can benefit from. If there wasnt such a miniscule amount of time left before the tournament, I'd be questioning why beerus hasn't ordered whis to train up U7's squad to at least understand the concept at least a basic level.

SolVanderlyn

Everyone owes it to themselves to erase their knowledge of the original DBZ run with Kai.

Bad pacing is just a bad memory now.

Also, I admit that turning others Super Saiyan is a bad idea. BUT, I do think looking for ways to raise their power ceiling to compete with Super Saiyans is something that should definitely be explored (and might very well be with the direction Super has been headed in).

LaNaranja

Seeing Gohan back reminded me of when Fat Buu is brought back and completely destroys Gohan and Supreme Kai. I thought that was pretty damn hype.

ZapuIvF.gif

Seems like every time an antagonist is introduced someone has to job to them to show their strength.

Anyone want to take bets on who is going to be Jiren's jobber? My money is on Buu or 17.

Buu has to job before krillin

Because they've been building his return for too long.

I think ultimately it'll all boil down to Gohan fighting mustache superhero, vegetable fighting lady broly, and everybody else fighting scrubs nobody cares about

EmiPrime

The perception to the fight mostly depends if you're an anime only guy or if you read the manga I feel.

I get that impression too. The entire Frieza arc in manga form is IMO one of the all time greats.

Slaythe

Seeing Gohan back reminded me of when Fat Buu is brought back and completely destroys Gohan and Supreme Kai. I thought that was pretty damn hype.

Seems like every time an antagonist is introduced someone has to job to them to show their strength.

Anyone want to take bets on who is going to be Jiren's jobber? My money is on Buu or 17.

It's obviously going to be Hit.

Mister Wolf

It's a universal buff that anyone can benefit from. If there wasnt such a miniscule amount of time left before the tournament, I'd be questioning why beerus hasn't ordered whis to train up U7's squad to at least understand the concept at least a basic level.

Because Saiyans are the only ones in U7 who get to be top tier which is complete bullshit. Piccolo and Tien are life long martial artists and genius level fighters who would excel under Whis tutelage. Look at the huge leap Piccolo made training under King Kai

EmiPrime

Everyone owes it to themselves to erase their knowledge of the original DBZ run with Kai.

Somebody needs to do a Kai cut using Dragon Box rips. I like Kai but Kikuchi's score and the original 4:3 presentation will always be the best.

Style

Banned

Also, I admit that turning others Super Saiyan is a bad idea. BUT, I do think looking for ways to raise their power ceiling to compete with Super Saiyans is something that should definitely be explored (and might very well be with the direction Super has been headed in).

Kai is really great up to the Cell final; The Final Chapters is 'ok'. But I still think the original DBZ has its charm. It looks better visually (Kai borked the colours a bit especially at TFC) and some of the fillers were okay.

Style

Banned
Somebody needs to do a Kai cut using Dragon Box rips. I like Kai but Kikuchi's score and the original 4:3 presentation will always be the best.

Kenji Yamamoto's Kai tracks are superb for Dragon Ball; it's a shame they had to edit the home media releases to remove every track of his. If anyone is going to watch Kai they should dig around to get the TV broadcast version.

Skii

I keep telling you guys you're setting yourself up for disappointment with Gohan. Even if Gohan got something like a new transformation he's not going to come out with the final kill like in the Android arc.

No one ever says that on this thread. People who hate Gohan always bring this up but I never see anyone believing Gohan is gonna be the main hero of this arc.

The truth hurts

Except for the fact that GT is the result of it being solely the Goku show.

Skeeter49

What bothered me was how everyone takes Buu as a joke. Gohan was the youngest fighter in the tournament, and beat Cell, he is the last person who should be judging their opponent.

SolVanderlyn

Kenji Yamamoto's Kai tracks are superb for Dragon Ball; it's a shame they had to edit the home media releases to remove every track of his. If anyone is going to watch Kai they should dig around to get the TV broadcast version.
Hell yes. I LOVED his score. The fact that it's relegated to illegal rips is a crying shame. The man may have been a bit of a plagiarist, but he was damn good at his job even when he was ripping off other music, adding in his own style and making the perfect sort of music for the DB world. It hit the perfect balance between Kikuchi's orchestral approach and Faulconer's heavier approach.

My favorites (some from Budokai games):

Formidable Warrior: The Saiyan

Heroic Faceoff

Creature of Marvel (This is PERFECT music for the androids)

The Clouds of War Spread

Challengers (This is Future Trunks' theme in my headcanon)

Slaythe

Hell yes. I LOVED his score. The fact that it's relegated to illegal rips is a crying shame. The man may have been a bit of a plagiarist, but he was damn good at his job even when he was ripping off other music, adding in his own style and making the perfect sort of music for the DB world. It hit the perfect balance between Kikuchi's orchestral approach and Faulconer's heavier approach.

Heroic Faceoff

The Clouds of War Spread

Let me stop you right there.

This is Future Trunks' only theme.

LaNaranja

I keep telling you guys you're setting yourself up for disappointment with Gohan. Even if Gohan got something like a new transformation he's not going to come out with the final kill like in the Android arc.

It has been brought up before but the heroes haven't won a single time in Super.
Battle of Gods: Beerus won
Resurrection F: Freeza won, time travel fuckery needed to get a redo.
Champa Arc: Ended in a tie, but Goku was only like 20 seconds away from his body giving out anyway.
Future Trunks Arc: Everyone died.​
At this point, it will actually be a change of pace if U7 ends up winning, never mind worrying about who will get the final kill.

Style

Banned

Heroic Faceoff

The Clouds of War Spread

Let me stop you right there.

This is Future Trunks' only theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y_6GGI-6c4

This will always be Trunks theme for me. It's a shame they didn't play it during his showdown with Black, but I guess they had their reasons :<

SolVanderlyn

Not just pacing. Bad voice acting and soundtrack.

Old Funi dub is just unwatchable.

Skeeter49

I didn't think old DBZ was that bad in the Buu saga.
If we're talking about original DBZ, Saiyan arc/ Cell arc are 50 times better, but they also had a lot of filler stuff that drowned out that arc, and I mean filler that didn't amount to much, not Goku vs. Buutenks filler. At least for the most part the Buu arc was focused on the main plot, but it just went on and on and on and on and on and on.

I'd put Buu arc above Frieza arc in terms of pacing.

Yeah there is no debate especially considering how Z was a lot of the English voice cast first acting roles, and it shows.

The other day someone posted the Z version of Goku threatening the Supreme Kai and there were tons of unnecessary dialogue that wasn't there originally. The Kai version of that scene just came out on the DVDs recently and it's a massive improvement in script with actual silence.

All I can say is we've come along way since 2002.

So no one else even wants to consider Goku vs Cell as part of the discussion

Vegeta is probably my number 2 choice, but to me that fight was more Vegeta being quite a bit more ahead until Goku had these burst moments that eventually let him push through, and he needed help at the end.

Goku vs Cell (at least in the anime) felt like he was a lot more thoroughly frustrated. Like Cell was right out of his reach the whole time, and Goku knowing that I felt gave just this more consistent base of just... exertion.

They start off testing each other out for a while, and that's already intense, but the part about it to me that sells it is the way they depict how the fight semi gradually transitions into something more serious. As the intensity increases, you can see the heightened exasperation in their facial expressions. Their movements start to speed up. There are even bits of choreography repeated later in the fight that are faster than before, and that show them with more intense facial expressions. Another crucial thing are the little moments where Goku does a mad/desperate/confused grunt after being out-maneuvered. That, along with other things and you know Goku is thinking "why the fuck can't I just break through this nigga right now?!?" The whole crescendo of the fight is very well done. If it wasn't for the Goku's energy drain I have no idea who would win, but it would be a damn good battle.

I don't know if that clip is easier to write off for the ones saying they don't really remember the full fight, but within the context of the rest of the fight, that section of it is amazingly fierce.

I definitely don't see Beerus as being in the discussion because I think the one who is going to give you the best fight is going to be the one who is actually around your level. Beerus and Goku reminds me of a good casual player 1v1ing a good pro player in a fighting game. Yeah, the pro can hold back, make it seem like it's a good fight, but he wins at the end and everyone knows the casual player never had a chance in the first place. By far my best and most mentally/physically taxing fights have been with people who are either on my level or slightly better than me.

Edit: I don't see how you could look at those little clips I posted and tell me that it felt like Goku was holding back.

ElFly

Dunno man

The manga version is also p long. It is at least one volume, and google is saying it's 20 chapters

After thst most fights will last 2 or 3 chapters. Even Gohan vs Cell is solved quickly, and all the fights in the buu saga go by super fast

Hit. Almost guaranteed.

Slaythe

Dunno man

The manga version is also p long. It is at least one volume, and google is saying it's 20 chapters

After thst most fights will last 2 or 3 chapters. Even Gohan vs Cell is solved quickly, and all the fights in the buu saga go by super fast

Dunno what ? Each chapter serves purpose and doesn't drag along, the action is really good and compelling, there's a lot of ellipses too with panels explaining what happened etc... to avoid hurting the pacing.

Goku's super saiyan battle is about 10 chapters long, and it featured all the stuff with the dragon balls and the wishes.

I never said it wasn't a long fight, I said it's good in the manga. It can be long and good. The anime is a perfect example of long and bad because of all the dead moments where nothing happens, the dragging stares, useless cuts to other characters, reuse of animations and never ending "beam struggle". It also made the "5 min" line absolutely unbearable when it turned into 3 hours.

Hit and 17 get my bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom