• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT6| Put your back into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why Cabba can't deal with Caulifla.

I guess she might be a criminal, but he deals with Hit just fine.

They look like polar opposites.

Cabba is a polite, soft-spoken soldier.
Caulifla is looking to be a rude and abrasive gang leader.

I was!

200_s.gif

This is basically what's going to happen - I mean they are cabbage and cauliflower. They will make it so she has some kind of huge crush on him and he doesn't know how to reciprocate.

Him getting hurt in the tournament is probably what will also Brolly-fly her.

Skeeter49

The funny thing is Gohan was much more arrogant fighting Cell than Buu lol

Gohan was definitely in a better headspace, but letting Gotenks fight was a mistake. He also spent too much time taunting Buu, especially when he knows Buu is unstable and has a tantrum easily. But he also underestimated Buu even before mystic.

I disagree with Piccolo saying his arrogance let him get absorbed by Buu. Gohan wanted to put the earring on after Buu became Buucolo, but Goku said they wouldn't need it, that they were both strong enough to take him on without fusion, so it was more Goku's arrogance, especially when Goku's power that can take on Buucolo can't be maintained for long periods of time.

psaman17

Banned
And for the record, the " surpassing " talk doesn't make much sense currently.

They are blurring the lines entirely to allow for interesting fights and everybody to be relevant based on which tier they're in, in different ways.

Each will have something unique, I highly doubt they'd clarify a ranking.

Goku gotta be on top I guess because he's Goku, but that's about it.

I see it like this :

Tier 1- plot armor

Goku : Kaioken and new form

Tier 2 - heavy hitters

Vegeta : ssb, brute strength

Gohan : anger burst, combo attacks with piccolo

17 : perfect defense and speed + whatever he hid from Goku, combo attacks with 18

Majin Buu : indestructible, magic abilities,

Tier 3 - strategists

Piccolo : strategist, lots of surprising moves

18 : has a focused mind unlike her "immature" brother, speed and a flawless combination with her brother and husband

Tier 4 - utility

Roshi : the mystery card
Krilin : useful techniques and analytic mind when cornered
Tien : Kikoho to ring out people is a given !

17 being stronger than buu is some ridiculous bull crap.

HeroR

Mystic being a transformation was definitely a retcon.

It still isn't treated as a transformation since Piccolo called Gohan's real self. Not a phase used for a transformation.

Gohan was definitely in a better headspace, but letting Gotenks fight was a mistake. He also spent too much time taunting Buu, especially when he knows Buu is unstable and has a tantrum easily. But he also underestimated Buu even before mystic.

I disagree with Piccolo saying his arrogance let him get absorbed by Buu. Gohan wanted to put the earring on after Buu became Buucolo, but Goku said they wouldn't need it, that they were both strong enough to take him on without fusion, so it was more Goku's arrogance, especially when Goku's power that can take on Buucolo can't be maintained for long periods of time.

Gohan's arrogance led to the entire situation to begin with. That and wasn't paying attention to his surroundings.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The arrogance against Buu was letting Gotenks have a go instead of putting him down. Gohan assumed he was strong enough that no matter what Buu did he'd be able to clean it up, of course he had no idea about the absorbing thing so you could claim it was more ignorance than anything else.

This is my frustration with Gohan. I don't think there is a good place for him. He will never surpass Goku. He will not be the main character over Goku. It's why he's been boring since Buu beat him. You can't be the destined one who is supposed to take over (who is never be allowed to take over) AND be assigned to lose your strength because you aren't going to train anymore because you aren't going to be a fighter and you need to spend your time studying. The story wants two separate things for Gohan that detract from one another

Vegeta loses his angle if he is no longer Goku's steady number 2. So Gohan can't even be the second option. He has to be the third option. Which really undermines the whole "you are the destined one, being half-human/half-saiyan allows you to be the best" angle the story likes to frame him with

There just isn't room for Gohan to be anything but a frustrating mess with the needs of Goku and Vegeta and Gohan being divided by the can't-train-I'm-a-scholar/destined one approaches the story can't make its mind up on for him

Piccolo is a more interesting third option than Gohan. And 17 is an even more appealing third option than Piccolo

Code:
[IMG]https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/dragonball/images/1/1e/U6_Broly_base.png/revision/latest?cb=20170122025353[/IMG][IMG]https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/dragonball/images/6/64/Cauli.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170418154037[/IMG][IMG]https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/dragonball/images/a/a1/C-nrmEGUIAEsnmi.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170430005621[/IMG]
[IMG]https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/dragonball/images/b/b4/C-nrXErXcAASpu2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170430005553[/IMG]

Thank you, I missed this post somehow.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is my frustration with Gohan. I don't think there is a good place for him. He will never surpass Goku. He will not be the main character over Goku. It's why he's been boring since Buu beat him. You can't be the destined one who is supposed to take over (who is never be allowed to take over) AND be assigned to lose your strength because you aren't going to train anymore because you aren't going to be a fighter and you need to spend your time studying. The story wants two separate things for Gohan that detract from one another

Vegeta loses his angle if he is no longer Goku's steady number 2. So Gohan can't even be the second option. He has to be the third option. Which really undermines the whole "you are the destined one, being half-human/half-saiyan allows you to be the best" angle the story likes to frame him with

There just isn't room for Gohan to be anything but a frustrating mess with the needs of Goku and Vegeta and Gohan being divided by the can't-train-I'm-a-scholar/destined one approaches the story can't make its mind up on for him

Piccolo is a more interesting third option than Gohan. And 17 is an even more appealing third option than Piccolo

I mean, they could make Gohan the strongest and just have him clean up Goku and Vegeta's messes. But that's kinda what Beerus and Whis do.

HeroR

Who says that they will keep Vegeta important? He's barely around in this arc. Just because Vegeta's number two now doesn't mean it will stay that way.

I mean, they could make Gohan the strongest and just have him clean up Goku and Vegeta's messes. But that's kinda what Beerus and Whis do.

Gohan can't even clean up his own mess.

Big One

Banned
I keep telling you guys you're setting yourself up for disappointment with Gohan. Even if Gohan got something like a new transformation he's not going to come out with the final kill like in the Android arc.

Who says that they will keep Vegeta important? He's barely around in this arc. Just because Vegeta's number two now doesn't mean it will stay that way.

Vegeta has more or less been the co-star for DB things since the Frieza arc. After all this time, I can't imagine that changing but you are right, it could happen. There was a time when Piccolo was the Vegeta of the series and that completely changed. So it could happen

They didn't do it in the Buu arc. The clearly weaker Goku had to clean up Gohan's mess

I keep telling you guys you're setting yourself up for disappointment with Gohan. Even if Gohan got something like a new transformation he's not going to come out with the final kill like in the Android arc.
I don't think ppl care about him getting the final blow. More like they want him actually in the fray relevant at all

HeroR

Vegeta has more or less been the co-star for DB things since the Frieza arc. After all this time, I can't imagine that changing but you are right, it could happen. There was a time when Piccolo was the Vegeta of the series and that completely changed. So it could happen

They didn't do it in the Buu arc. The clearly weaker Goku had to clean up Gohan's mess

Vegeta wasn't really the co-star and he spent over a year dead in the Buu Saga.

The only star of Dragon Ball is Goku. Everyone else is replaceable.

L Thammy

Gohan dealt the final blow to Vegeta by falling on him as an Oozaru. It isn't Gohan that Vegeta wants to surpass. The final blow isn't as important as participation.

Zolo

I don't think ppl care about him getting the final blow. More like they want him actually in the fray relevant at all
Yeah. Keep in mind this is after the Goku Black arc where Gohan had no relevancy in an an arc where Future!Gohan was Trunks's hero.

Gohan dealt the final blow to Vegeta by falling on him as an Oozaru. It isn't Gohan that Vegeta wants to surpass. The final blow isn't as important as participation.
Vegeta didn't give a shit about Goku until Goku came back on Namek stronger than him.

HardRojo

I wonder if they have something in store for Vegeta this arc, considering he's barely been there so far because of Bulla and he has no idea what is at stake yet.

His development from resurrection of f to now was great. Albeit a bit of a lesson he learned before maybe but aye the arrogance part being pointed out was new. I think it's great what more could a gohan fan ask for? I'd freak out if goten got that kinda love

Vegeta wasn't really the co-star and he spent over a year dead in the Buu Saga.

The only star of Dragon Ball is Goku. Everyone else is replaceable.

You're gonna have to refresh my memory, but I thought Vegeta was dead for only a couple days. He killed himself, Goku asked for the time for Goten and Trunks to train, all of the fights with, majin buu happen, then Vegeta gets brought back during the kid buu fight when they ask Porunga to revive all of the good people.

L Thammy

You're gonna have to refresh my memory, but I thought Vegeta was dead for only a couple days. He killed himself, Goku asked for the time for Goten and Trunks to train, all of the fights with, majin buu happen, then Vegeta gets brought back during the kid buu fight when they ask Porunga to revive all of the good people.

It's not even a few days, it's like 24 hours. The whole Buu saga takes over two days or so.

They may have meant a year of real time, but I don't think it lasted that long either?

NeonZ

I think he's talking about the real world time.

Anyway, yeah, it's Super itself that pushed Vegeta as a co-star, he really didn't have such stable costarring position back in Z. He was popular and participated in the final battle, but usually didn't actually keep up with Goku and often could be sidelined for a while.

I wonder if what we're seeing now might just be the result of a new producer and directors taking over and pushing the cast balance in a different direction.

Skeeter49

His development from resurrection of f to now was great. Albeit a bit of a lesson he learned before maybe but aye the arrogance part being pointed out was new. I think it's great what more could a gohan fan ask for? I'd freak out if goten got that kinda love
Piccolo therapy session.
Piccolo: Goten, you rely on Gohan and Goku to solve all your problems. Man up and take some responsibility for yourself.

Goten goes SSB3.

It's not even a few days, it's like 24 hours. The whole Buu saga takes over two days or so.

They may have meant a year of real time, but I don't think it lasted that long either?

I think he's talking about the real world time.

Okay. That makes much more sense.

But yeah, I say in Z, Vegeta and Gohan were the only two cast members on the level under Goku. Until this latest arc, Super put Vegeta right behind Goku and Gohan got bumped down a grade.

Piccolo therapy session.
Piccolo: Goten, you rely on Gohan and Goku to solve all your problems. Man up and take some responsibility for yourself.

Goten goes SSB3.
I'm ok with this. But it should be more like you and trunks rely too much on fusion and get arrogant even when doing so

Goten and trunks goes ssG
Give me their own form explanation? They're half saiyans

I couldn't care less about Gohan being strong or if he's some sort of chosen one, I just want him to fight. Same with basically every character on the team, I'm just glad they're all fighting. The fact that we're moving towards strategy over pure power is fantastic. We're going to get extended fight sequences where Roshi and can be badass again!

Krillin and Gohan and Piccolo being relevant and competent is like the greatest thing ever, and anyone who's still too busy talking abut power levels instead of the new techniques and strategies they show off and not enjoying the character development each character is going through... we could never be friends, that's all I'm saying.

On Caulifla, I see that Cabba romance coming already, can't wait! lol

Kneefoil

It's weird that we never got Toriyama art for that original design from the opening and got it for this look even before her debut. Also, although they kept her base design in the shot of the Pride Troopers, they removed the transformation scene itself.

Like I mentioned before, it makes me think she was originally designed by someone else, but Toriyama overruled that design with what we're seeing now. Maybe they'll reuse the original design (with no LSSJ transformation) for an unrelated fighter though since they'd need as many designs as possible for the tournament.
If your speculation is correct, I do hope they reuse the original design for something. I like it a lot more than the new one, the hair being the biggest reason.

It'd be weird if she didn't go LSS at all. People are hyped for that one.
It would be very strange, but personally I wouldn't mind if Broly-chan didn't happen. I've never liked the LSSJ form.

Azerare

That was a nice episode for both Gohan and Piccolo fans. Ultimate being a transformation is fine but I'm wondered why it's just Gohan's default state.

It's not really his default state. It's just all his potential unleashed but without the energy waste that super saiyan normally does.

RocknRola

Btw, with Piccolo now being able to (apparently) control detached limbs, couldn't him + Buu troll literally everyone during the tournament?

In the sense that since they can still control (and Buu in particular could easily make a copy of himself with just one tiny bit of matter left) their bodies/body parts they'd technically still be in the fight even if their main body got throw out. Though probably the Grand Priest would not allow it :p

They could also use it to surprise other fighters of course, which I think will be the way it's eventually played out.

HardRojo

Btw, with Piccolo now being able to (apparently) control detached limbs, couldn't him + Buu troll literally everyone during the tournament?

In the sense that since they can still control (and Buu in particular could easily make a copy of himself with just one tiny bit of matter left) their bodies/body parts they'd technically still be in the fight even if their main body got throw out. Though probably the Grand Priest would not allow it :p

They could also use it to surprise other fighters of course, which I think will be the way it's eventually played out.
If this week's episode is anything to go by, Gohan and Piccolo will team up for combined attacks, so it'd be interesting what kind of stuff they come up with together.
Father and Son Makkankousappou!

RocknRola

If this week's episode is anything to go by, Gohan and Piccolo will team up for combined attacks, so it'd be interesting what kind of stuff they come up with together.
Father and Son Makkabkousappou!

The GOAT Dad continues on being the GOAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom