• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT6| Put your back into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaythe

The only positive this series has now. It buried GT and that's it.

Well if you don't see any redeeming quality, how about you quit and stop being a pain in the neck ?

Also, you loved the Super FNF arc, so you have the lowest standards, yet you dare to tell us the show has nothing going on for it.

gXxeGdp.gif

Skeeter49

Is there even a 1% possibility of EoZ not happening besides some random and stupid reason by Toei or Toriyama not to do it?
Story wise it seems everything is on track.

Slaythe

One thing I like about this arc that the others really lacked is they've brought back a sense of adventure, traveling to other locations around the world. It's a small detail but I really appreciate it after the last arc took place almost entirely in Bulma's back yard.

This episode was incredible.

It had great story boarding, lots of attention to details with the wild life, lots of different colors,atmospheric change, compelling camera angles, it also had new soundtrack, I loved it.

125aGU1.gif

It felt very "rpg ish".

Is there even a 1% possibility of EoZ not happening besides some random and stupid reason by Toei or Toriyama not to do it?
Story wise it seems everything is on track.

There's no point in teasing Uub if it's not happening.

I do have morbid curiosity to see how they are going to fuck it up.

brinstar

I was one of the people skeptical that there will ever be a timeskip but after this episode yeah I'm on the train that was explicit.

RocknRola

We're through the looking glass

Reread the sentence.

I wouldn't say "announced" as much as confirming we'll get there in Super, for sure. Whether that'll also be the end of Super or just an "arc" in and of itself, who knows. They're definitely setting it up for something, that much is clear.

I was one of the people skeptical that there will ever be a timeskip but after this episode yeah I'm on the train that was explicit.

We've got Bra's birth followed fairly quickly by around a minute of talking about Uub, most of the pieces are now in place for the end of Z. One thing I think is interesting is that in this arc Goten and Trunks want to train and become strong, which isn't exactly consistent with their end of Z selves, so that makes me wonder if we'll be getting another pre-end of Z arc where they are relevant or if end of Z will be modified so that they've been training.
I wouldn't say "announced" as much as confirming we'll get there in Super, for sure. Whether that'll also be the end of Super or just an "arc" in and of itself, who knows. They're definitely setting it up for something, that much is clear.

Reread the sentence again.

"Me when it is finally announced that we are going to the end of Z"
I'm saying that GIF will be me when it is announced, not that it has been announced. The lines about episodes 30 and 86 were past tense, this is not.

Skeeter49

Gohan getting stronger will make sense just like 17 did.

It'll be something with mystic.

I'd say Trunks has more of drive to train than Goten.

The current discussion is exactly why I hate Blue. They really painted themselves into a corner with it.

Not only with Blue. It's the same with SSG or even SSJ3. The problem isn't Blue. The problem is terrible world building. I'm not against the idea of 17 becoming really strong. Actually, I expected this to happen since it'd have made sense at least. The problem is how everything is brought:
Dude trained on a island fighting nothing but dumb hunters with guns. Stuff that freakin Radditz could've handled. He got good enough to stand a chance against a "god transformation". Which happened through an extensive harsh training with Whis, which is supposedly the body guard of a divinity, a training that is meant for special beings.

It's basically a "fuck logic, fuck power level" done terribly wrong. It's basically TFS "Push-ups, sit-ups and PLENTYYY of juice".

They are trying to make irrelevant characters relevant again in a terrible way. Krillin for exemple stopped training for years. He took on training back with basically musculation materiels, weights and such. Goku kept training for 30 years, going through regular Roshi training, then Karin's training, then Kami, then Kaio, then *100 gravity, then Yardat, then Other World, then Whis. He's supposed to be not only really skilled but also be really experienced. Yet we're getting boring fights with silly mistakes, all for that to make up for the fact that Krillin was irrelevant and the only way they did to make him relevant was basic training MusculationGAF is doing already and making a skilled experienced fighter an idiot.

Either make some intelligent world building or create new characters if you can't be good enough for the former.

Gohan getting stronger will make sense just like 17 did.

It'll be something with mystic.

To me it feels like he lost his Mystic form, but is stronger now as a Super Saiyan than when he was Mystic, so when he gets his Mystic form again it will probably be a considerable boost for him over what it was in the Buu arc.

RocknRola

Reread the sentence again.

"Me when it is finally announced that we are going to the end of Z"
I'm saying that GIF will be me when it is announced, not that it has been announced. The lines about episodes 30 and 86 were past tense, this is not.

My bad, my bad :p

Point still stands though. They're definitely keeping it "alive", so they'll definitely want to use that "End of Z lore" for something.

My bad, my bad :p

Point still stands though. They're definitely keeping it "alive", so they'll definitely want to use that "End of Z lore" for something.

Back to what you said in your previous post, the Super name has been a successful relaunch of the series (helped obviously by two big Z movies) so I think they'll keep the Super name when going past EoZ, though it would be hilarious if Super ended exactly where Z did and then we got a sequel series immediately after. Would it then be called end of Z/Super?

Let's get real here. Piccolo isn't going to get shit. Gohan will.

I just pray it makes sense.

I won't sugar coat it... I really don't like the way him and 18 are used seemingly just to hype someone else so far.
But I feel everyone getting at least a little something this turn. It's just the number of cool moments each character gets, I would say.
Until they all inevitably job on the final boss and goku has to save the day

RocknRola

Back to what you said in your previous post, the Super name has been a successful relaunch of the series (helped obviously by two big Z movies) so I think they'll keep the Super name when going past EoZ, though it would be hilarious if Super ended exactly where Z did and then we got a sequel series immediately after. Would it then be called end of Z/Super?

The end of SUPER Z! :D hehe

I hope it doesn't end there, but if they do run out of steam (for whatever reason) that does (at this point in time) seem like a logical cut off point. Hope not though :)

The end of SUPER Z! :D hehe

I hope it doesn't end there, but if they do run out of steam (for whatever reason) that does (at this point in time) seem like a logical cut off point. Hope not though :)

The only way I see the end of Z being the end of Super is if the show is immediately followed up with a sequel series.

Rutger

Banned
That was a fun episode!

Oh, wow, there's a ton of posts in the DBS thread, I wonder what's goi-

*Power levels complaining*

Oh...

I see...

Setsuna

Ive only watched like the last 8 episodes of Super and uh . . .These power levels make no sense

Like they jumped the shark big time

Also, is it me or Goku mentionned Uub to Vegeta before this episode and blatantly forgot about him when Dendé mentionned him ?

Slaythe

Arched, can you please gif 17's zoom on his face and when he turns looking like "-___-" at around 19:50 please ?

I'm gonna need that gif a lot I feel ...

FStubbs

I think End of Z will just be the start of an arc in Super and then it'll just keep going.

I mean, the fact they've seen so much of Goku in Super already invalidated a comment Bulma made in End of Z so it's not going to go EXACTLY like Z depicted anyway.

Dragon ball has a history of pulling stuff like this. It started with Goku drinking the mystic water giving him a power up. To saiyans getting stronger by nearly dying. To having cell literally coming back despite blowing up and being stronger because of saiyans
In my opinion the biggest asspull of the series
, to having Gohan become one of the strongest because of a dance to literally having Freeza reach god levels in months and finally having Trunks holding his own against God ki. So 17 power up doesn't really concern me, just as long as it doesn't become the Goku, Vegeta and 17 show.

RocknRola

The only way I see the end of Z being the end of Super is if the show is immediately followed up with a sequel series.

Could be, could be. From a marketing standpoint it seems to work (cutting stories into different parts when they reach TV). It's been done before with DB as well. Who knows.

In any case I'm just glad they're planting little seeds for the future, should they need it :)

Sir Doom

Goku needs to do No.17 Side-Quest before he can join 😂

Good thing this episode focused on silhouette fighting or we might see some bad art.

Also the preview + intro is getting longer. It used to be 2:30 now it's 3:30+
I wonder if it'll reach One Piece level of 5:30+

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Goku needs to do No.17 Side-Quest before he can join 😂

Good thing this episode focused on silhouette fighting or we might see some bad art.

They kinda stretched out this episode. Based on the next episode preview they probably could have condensed this subplot some... Generic Toei space pirate aliens feel kind of out of place right now.

Slaythe

They kinda stretched out this episode. Based on the next episode preview they probably could have condensed this subplot some... Generic Toei space pirate aliens feel kind of out of place right now.

Heh. No.

Gohan and Krilin got their episodes early, this is on the same level, it's to flesh out 17. He needs it. They didn't want to show 17 before the tournament so no other choice but to put that episode here.

It might not be the best "placement" I give you that, but it should be an interesting episode.

Super's recaps vary in length, we've had recaps this long before.

I don't feel like this episode was stretched out, it felt like it moved at the perfect pace to me. I'll reserve judgment for the next episode, but the more episodes until the tournament he more time they have to do production on those episodes.

Not only with Blue. It's the same with SSG or even SSJ3. The problem isn't Blue. The problem is terrible world building. I'm not against the idea of 17 becoming really strong. Actually, I expected this to happen since it'd have made sense at least. The problem is how everything is brought:
Dude trained on a island fighting nothing but dumb hunters with guns. Stuff that freakin Radditz could've handled. He got good enough to stand a chance against a "god transformation". Which happened through an extensive harsh training with Whis, which is supposedly the body guard of a divinity, a training that is meant for special beings.

It's basically a "fuck logic, fuck power level" done terribly wrong. It's basically TFS "Push-ups, sit-ups and PLENTYYY of juice".

They are trying to make irrelevant characters relevant again in a terrible way. Krillin for exemple stopped training for years. He took on training back with basically musculation materiels, weights and such. Goku kept training for 30 years, going through regular Roshi training, then Karin's training, then Kami, then Kaio, then *100 gravity, then Yardat, then Other World, then Whis. He's supposed to be not only really skilled but also be really experienced. Yet we're getting boring fights with silly mistakes, all for that to make up for the fact that Krillin was irrelevant and the only way they did to make him relevant was basic training MusculationGAF is doing already and making a skilled experienced fighter an idiot.

Either make some intelligent world building or create new characters if you can't be good enough for the former.
Seriously. I laughed reading people talk about how "tactical" that Krillin episode was. Gohan literally just tied with someone stronger than Krillin who used the same plan while poisoned a couple of episodes ago. Suddenly the genius, but inexperienced strategist (lol) can't keep up with Krillin pulling off the exact same thing.

Goku can sense the ki of people on other planets. Wtf is Krillin hiding behind some rocks supposed to do? Then there was that dumb "realization" Goku had at the end of the episode where he realized that he wouldn't always have 1v1 fights during the tournament. Like, really?

I honestly can't wait until Roshi shows up. The man gave up on martial arts after seeing Goku, Krillin, and Yamcha surpass him when they were kids. Let's see how well they explain that way with "tactics".

People are trying to brush this type of stuff off as if it's just complaining about power levels. The problem isn't that other people are becoming relevant. It's that it's being done in a very unsatisfying way with awful writing. It's like the writers already have a result they want to show, don't give a damn how they get there, and expect everyone to just accept it.

I'd be able to let some of this stuff slide if the fights were actually creative or looked good. Outside of the pre-tournament fights, it's been the same garbage it's always been in this show.

Real Hero

Maybe it's the kid in me but seeing people tying to rationalize Super by trashing old DB make me kinda sad.

its not trashing. Magical water power up (directly after after a power up involved learning no such water existed) is just as bullshit as 17 trained for ten years and is stronger. None of it bothers me because power ups in this series have always been like that.

Maybe it's the kid in me but seeing people tying to rationalize Super by trashing old DB make me kinda sad.

Its the kid in you since DBZ always had this shit but people were willing to roll with it because it was fucking hype (especially if you watched the series on Toonami).

Super is doing the same stuff but the main differences are that the the holy grail is way higher in super (SSB compared to the SSJ levels) and instead of intentionally making everyone that's not a Saiyan falling behind that grail they are trying to course correct.

Skeeter49

To me it feels like he lost his Mystic form, but is stronger now as a Super Saiyan than when he was Mystic, so when he gets his Mystic form again it will probably be a considerable boost for him over what it was in the Buu arc.

Makes sense. No one really knew that was a new form for him, and I'm sure Gohan thought he lost it when his body transitioned to lack of training.

Piccolo most likely trained his base form, which benefited his SSJ. and will benefit his Mystic. It might also be that just over the years he's gained more potential, so Mystic form which is suppose to harness his potential naturally got stronger.

Seriously. I laughed reading people talk about how "tactical" that Krillin episode was. Gohan literally just tied with someone stronger than Krillin who used the same plan while poisoned a couple of episodes ago. Suddenly the genius, but inexperienced strategist (lol) can't keep up with Krillin pulling off the exact same thing.
Basil took his time and beat on him, Krillin knocked Gohan out of the ring immediately.

Goku can sense the ki of people on other planets. Wtf is Krillin hiding behind some rocks supposed to do? Then there was that dumb "realization" Goku had at the end of the episode where he realized that he wouldn't always have 1v1 fights during the tournament. Like, really?
Krillin can hide his ki.
Goku's never been a team fighter.

I'd be able to let some of this stuff slide if the fights were actually creative or looked good. Outside of the pre-tournament fights, it's been the same garbage it's always been in this show.

The only post exhibition fights that didn't look so great where Gohan vs Krillin and Goku vs Buu, but they weren't garbage. Goku vs Krillin was entirely tactics based, Krillin almost beat Goku with a slight of hand.

Lamel

Banned

I honestly can't wait until Roshi shows up. The man gave up on martial arts after seeing Goku, Krillin, and Yamcha surpass him when they were kids. Let's see how well they explain that way with "tactics".

People are trying to brush this type of stuff off as if it's just complaining about power levels. The problem isn't that other people are becoming relevant. It's that it's being done in a very unsatisfying way with awful writing. It's like the writers already have a result they want to show, don't give a damn how they get there, and expect everyone to just accept it.

Agreed. I got no problem with other characters getting stronger and being relevant, but the way they are doing it is seemingly diminishing all much of the story line and development Goku/Vegeta have had throughout the series; we've seen them go through such insane training and fights that when you see someone like 17 (who would be absolutely nothing compared to the Z warriors after cell) come back with a BS story about training it just makes the worth of Goku/Vegeta's accomplishments (that we have seen for years) less.

The second thing is, there is a massive, massive space between getting to SSBlue and 17's original power that we saw in the cell saga. They don't need to have him be the level of SSblue to make him relevant; they can still make him EXTREMELY strong but not at Goku/Vegeta level; that would make him relevant while still maintaining the "divine" power of the SS blue transformation. I ultimately think these few episodes with goku recruiting are done this way to hype up sidelined characters and I don't think 17 is actually stronger than SSblue, but I would enjoy the series more if they brought about these changes in a more nuanced way. Excited to see where things go from here ultimately though.

RocknRola

He has stealth mode :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHATWTeqHlA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom