• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT6| Put your back into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaythe

Whaaaaaaaat?

Oh wow, he did

He wrote the 17 episode that you liked so let him know you enjoyed that too !

tenor.gif

From the Japanese version;
"I settled on gold-colored to make it easy for you to understand. Perhaps it was too on the nose. If you will forgive the tacky naming, shall we call this "Golden Freeza"? But then, you appear to realize that my color is not the only thing that has changed..."

That... makes the form even lamer :p

HeroR

I feel like this episode in particular was meant to address the fear of him repeating the same arrogant mistakes in the tournament. I'm actually really glad they touched on a subject that's lingered for years with Gohan.

Especially some Gohan's fans denial that Gohan lost to Super Buu because of his arrogant and he's a mediocre fighter who really needs to learn to used his head in a fight. I am glad Super is showing these weaknesses in Gohan so he can improved on them.

I also like that Piccolo pointed out that he share the overconfident flaw with Goku.

Skeeter49

That... makes the form even lamer :p
I like it. Nothing huge was done with it, but it had the potential to show a deeper level of wanting revenge than we've really seen for a lot of characters in DBZ.

Just emphasized how much Frieza hates Saiyans, though I think I got it after the 5,0000th time he said it in DB.

HeroR

I like it. Nothing huge was done with it, but it had the potential to show a deeper level of wanting revenge than we've really seen for a lot of characters in DBZ.

Just emphasized how much Frieza hates Saiyans, though I think I got it after the 5,0000th time he said it in DB.

I personally like the irony, especially since Frieza spent most of his saga calling Super Saiyan just a silly legend. Then he turns around and copy it.

"Daddy monkey, this. Daddy monkey that."

Goku confirmed Gohan sucked though "compared to his original power".

Which is also another way of saying "hey hello, remember how the incompetent writers fucked up with FnF :D ? Well fuck that it's gone".

No more Tagoma being stronger than Gohan at his peak that got defeated with Super Saiyan Gohan in one blow, I guess.

I saw it as Goku saying "he should definitely be stronger than he is now considering how strong he was in the buu saga" But not necessarily saying he's currently weaker than he was back then.

HeroR

I saw it as Goku saying "he should definitely be stronger than he is now considering how strong he was in the buy saga" But not necessarily saying he's currently weaker than he was back then.

It also doesn't make sense why they would only want Gohan where he was in the Buu Saga since the Buu Saga's levels are weak, no matter how much fans want to deny that.

None of fights in Super have the same feeling of "impact" like they had in Z. That's one of my biggest gripes about Super.

I think most of the fights this arc have had plenty of impact, this episode was just not so great.

Heck nah. The last moment I remember seeing a great sense of impact was a brief moment during that first scruffle between Trunks and Black when Trunks is trying to escape his timeline. That's the moment that sticks out in my mind anyway. Not saying we haven't had some fights with good animation and stuff but the impact is highly lacking in Super.

I'm sure there are some moments I'm missing. 17 and Goku's fist clash was very good, but I need those visceral body shots ya feel me

Slaythe

Heck nah. The last moment I remember seeing a great sense of impact was a brief moment during that first scruffle between Trunks and Black when Trunks is trying to escape his timeline. That's the moment that sticks out in my mind anyway. Not saying we haven't had some fights with good animation and stuff but the impact is highly lacking in Super.

I'm sure there are some moments I'm missing. 17 and Goku's fist clash was very good, but I need those visceral body shots ya feel me

Pretty much every single blow 17 gave had Z like impact.

Even against the weaklings.

tumblr_oouyp1gcNn1rd4ymxo1_500.gif

I had the stupidest smile on my face during Gohan's comeback. I hope their tag team technique is a father-son special beam cannon or something.

Me too. And those totally weren't tears in my eyes or anything.
That said I want the combo technique to be something more interesting then a slightly bigger beam attack.

Pretty much every single blow 17 gave had Z like impact.

Even against the weaklings.

tumblr_oouyp1gcNn1rd4ymxo1_500.gif

U rite that was good

The fight between 17 and Goku though was ruined for me because of its Tateisms. Something about how he animates movements sometimes is not appealing to me.

Another example of some impact.
ujZ5ECs.gif

I think this arc has done pretty well in having impact.

I'll admit I wrote this off because of it being a powerpuff girls monster fight. It did good for what it is.

Show me examples in a fight that actually matters. That Trunks and Black scene is still the only one that really screamed "best of Z" to me. That level of impact I'm referring to is linked above.

I'll admit I wrote this off because of it being a powerpuff girls monster fight. It did good for what it is.

Show me examples in a fight that actually matters. That Trunks and Black scene is still the only one that really screamed "best of Z" to me. That level of impact I'm referring to is linked above.
Gohan's punch.
sVvv0XI.gif

Like I said, I feel like most of the fights have done pretty well with impact.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Poison Wolf is gonna need some new tricks for the actual tournament if he doesn't want to get wrecked in two seconds.

sVvv0XI.gif

Pretty well, yeah, I still think it's lacking when compared to Z, but I definitely didn't complain much about it in that fight. That fight was good.

Since I'm being negative now, I'll just keep going I guess because that's how a snowball rolls nah'mean?

Why am I so excited for this? It looks sooooo dumb, but I love it!
MtAZRMP.gif
And super really has to learn how to do these barrages better already. This is drawn extremely well, but the composition of the closeups are so uninteresting. A GREAT one that sticks out to me at the moment is a hit barrage between Hit and Goku back in the tournament saga. I know there were others I thought were good but most of them are just meh.

Scenes I just hate the look of include that hit barrage Cabba did on Vegeta and the hit barrage SSJ2 Trunks did on SSJ3 Goku. That style of coreography just looks so dumb.

Edit: It was vs SSJ2 Goku, oops. At 1:20 https://youtu.be/IikLdSnxVqg

And 1:20 here https://youtu.be/rjc4EH_lJr8

Mister Wolf

Kinda fucked up Piccolo never got the chance to train with Whis. I think he would have made a huge jump and power and would have no doubt mastered channeling god like ki.

I hope becoming a Chinese Vampire gives Roshi a huge power boost and he pulls a Goku and keeps that power after reverting to normal.
ROSHI WILL BECOME THE STRONGEST HUMAN!

Slaythe

But for example, this is the kind of impact I miss too much in Super that happens very often in Z https://youtu.be/sz3zUmEiedI

That's some heavy shit

tumblr_op3m00cG7z1w3p557o1_500.gif

tumblr_op3mb7dCIe1w3p557o1_500.gif

tumblr_ooiivx7hOa1w3p557o1_500.gif

I mean, they don't use the same effects so I understand you don't get the same exact stuff, but I still feel like the impacts have dramatically improved since the post BOG Super (that had Yamamuro doing it for ep 13).

Please don't make me get the FnF fight sequences. Please. I'm not sure my mind would survive it.

On another note, I love how 17 is a decent kicker now, makes up for Cabba lying to us in the old OP.

Slaythe

Cabba still had that sweet donkey kick in his fight with Vegeta.

True but I still felt lied to.

One kick move out of the whole fight. 17 has been using his kicks a lot. It's also so refreshing to have a fighter relying on melee and not shitty ki blasts.

Gohan's punch.
sVvv0XI.gif

Ah it's funny you picked this example because while Gohan's punch is great, the way he stops the blow felt absolutely horrendous and so unsatisfying.

There's literally no impact at all.

Ah it's funny you picked this example because while Gohan's punch is great, the way he stops the blow felt absolutely horrendous and so unsatisfying.

There's literally no impact at all.

I don't think we actually see him stopping it, it just cuts to it already being stopped.
Whether that was the intention or not is debatable. Everything else is so well animated in that scene that I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on that one.

Gohan just looks right with the bang. It fixed his entire design when it came back. I'm not a Gohan fanboy by any sense of the word but I'm glad he's finally stepping up. I also like that Piccolo straight up outed him on his arrogance when he became Mystic, saying how it cost him the fight.

The old-school cast getting development and actually getting to power up has been awesome. I like Goku and Vegeta whooping ass but it's nice to have some variety.

I even thought that kick looks kind of awkward but definitely better than it could have been considering other things.

tumblr_op3m00cG7z1w3p557o1_500.gif

tumblr_op3mb7dCIe1w3p557o1_500.gif

tumblr_ooiivx7hOa1w3p557o1_500.gif

I mean, they don't use the same effects so I understand you don't get the same exact stuff, but I still feel like the impacts have dramatically improved since the post BOG Super (that had Yamamuro doing it for ep 13).

Please don't make me get the FnF fight sequences. Please. I'm not sure my mind would survive it.

On another note, I love how 17 is a decent kicker now, makes up for Cabba lying to us in the old OP.

I mean you aren't lying. Maybe it is just the effects or something. These scene look good in their own way, just not as good, (to me).

There's something about that Trunks v Black scene that I thought looks really good though.

https://youtu.be/gHnKNHc-ls0 At 1:50ish. Mainly Black's retaliation on Trunks. That scene is one of the few that got me "Z" hyped. Something about the composition of it all.

Slaythe

U rite that was good

The fight between 17 and Goku though was ruined for me because of its Tateisms. Something about how he animates movements sometimes is not appealing to me.

I'm not a huge fan of Tate, but his work on the 17 episode was, while imperfect, very ambitious, and was supported by one of the strongest art direction : colors, art, storyboard, mood settings, special effects (look how sick they were compared to the shitty after effects ones we get in most episodes :p etc...) Super has had.

So in the end I ended up forgiving the Tateisms because it came together really well, despite Tate's work being inconsistent. That being said, Tate is famous for correcting his own episodes on Bluray so we'll see if he can improve it !

I don't think we actually see him stopping it, it just cuts to it already being stopped.
Whether that was the intention or not is debatable. Everything else is so well animated in that scene that I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on that one.

But it still feels terribly unsatisfying to see the blow stopped like that. Either way it was a mistake IMO.

I mean, it stood out to me precisely because the rest was great.

Credit where credit is due. Tate did do good on those fronts.

I want to know who's responsible for that sweet hit barrage between Hit and Goku.

I want to know who's responsible for that sweet hit barrage between Hit and Goku.
Ken Otsuka.
He already confirmed that he will continue to work on Super this year, he'll probably show up in the tournament.
The only Super Episodes he's animated on are 5, 39 and 66, though he did 61's storyboard.

Slaythe

I also prefer the old school impacts but consider they have been doing a really sick job on this arc since we've had consistent quality !

c0192db101e934d3374664d1f9f1c4fa69801774_hq.gif

It's full of stuff like this. The Gohan episode near the end also had a lot of "trades" that looked reminiscent of the old battles :D .

That being said, that trunks vs black is pretty good, I think it's because the special effects were really close (those circles and flashes) and they have the close up reactions (that is now common this arc :D this arc also added the close up on flurries which was a big thing back then )

like those :

tumblr_olyv9636Rr1qgs3bao1_500.gif

tumblr_ooih7ogRQo1w3p557o2_500.gif

Which is always cool cause they can loop it, it saves them time since they don't have to animate more than a few frames and it looks pretty cool :D .

This season is so good. I'm so glad to experience Dragon Ball still at this age when I couldn't as a child.

It's exciting for me as a long time fan, too, even if I never really post about the show. Like I was super excited for Resurrection F because that's very stupid in a way that directly appeals to me as as a genre fan, but the stuff Super is doing right now appeals to me as a person who likes things that are actually good. Beyond making long sidelined characters useful again (Don't even try and tell me Roshi taking his sunglasses off in the OP isn't hype as fuck), I am shocked that Super is going in on Goku's lust for battle as a significant, and potentially ruinous, character flaw. That's some Hunter x Hunter shit.

And yeah, maybe the way they're getting there isn't perfect, but if it results in a better show, then I seriously don't care that 17 became god level by doing the DB equivalent of grinding out the Mako Reactor or that Krillin wasn't instantly vaporized by SSB Goku or that Roshi with his sub-Radditz power level can even hang.

Also, Goku is totally not going to learn his lesson and is going to spend the entirety of the tournament fighting Jiren instead of defeating weaker enemies. Roshi will get more ringouts with his hypnosis and electricity and all that Jackie Chun shit.

Slaythe

It's exciting for me as a long time fan, too, even if I never really post about the show. Like I was super excited for Resurrection F because that's very stupid in a way that directly appeals to me as as a genre fan, but the stuff Super is doing right now appeals to me as a person who likes things that are actually good. Beyond making long sidelined characters useful again (Don't even try and tell me Roshi taking his sunglasses off in the OP isn't hype as fuck), I am shocked that Super is going in on Goku's lust for battle as a significant, and potentially ruinous, character flaw. That's some Hunter x Hunter shit.

And yeah, maybe the way they're getting there isn't perfect, but if it results in a better show, then I seriously don't care that 17 became god level by doing the DB equivalent of grinding out the Mako Reactor or that Krillin wasn't instantly vaporized by SSB Goku or that Roshi with his sub-Radditz power level can even hang.

Also, Goku is totally not going to learn his lesson and is going to spend the entirety of the tournament fighting Jiren instead of defeating weaker enemies. Roshi will get more ringouts with his hypnosis and electricity and all that Jackie Chun shit.

Welcome to the thread dude.

Makes me really happy to see posts like this. :)

DB Super is doing what even DBZ had trouble with : having a relevant cast that adds a lot of variety and giving all of them character development. I'm really excited.

Slaythe

So they did end up redesigning Brolina

We don't know yet if it's the same character but it feels like it.

Toei probably made her, sent the design to Toriyama, who corrected her, and this is the final result.

Or maybe they're two different people but I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom